Start by marking “El lamento de las sirenas” as Want to Read:
El lamento de las sirenas

El lamento de las sirenas (Lincoln Perry #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  822 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Una mujer aparece muerta en un edificio que ha ardido hasta los cimientos. Los vídeos de seguridad muestran que un hombre la acompañaba. El hombre en cuestión no es otro sino Ed Gradduk, el mejor amigo de la infancia de nuestro investigador privado. Sin pensárselo mucho, Lincoln comienza a investigar y encuentra a Gradduk, que permanece huido de la policía. Gradduk insiste ...more
Published October 20th 2011 by Roja y Negra Mondadori (first published February 7th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about El lamento de las sirenas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El lamento de las sirenas

Josh
The second novel to feature former cop and current PI Lincoln Perry, throws the exuberant justice dealer into a world of conman, police corruption and killers of past and present. This time round, the case is personal and a little hard to believe - Lincoln's childhood friend Ed Gradduk is accused of murder and arson. Without provocation, Lincoln jumps at the chance to clear his friends name (with whom he hadn't been in contact with for 10yrs). Despite this, Koryta does establish a method to the ...more
Matt Allen
There's a lot to like about how Michael Koryta turns a phrase.

Koryta once again takes the familiar ground of the PI mystery and populates it with his own unique characters and narrative. He has that knack to strike a deep chord with the perfect phrase. His prose--deep, but not overcooked--made me smile in appreciation multiple times. It's hitting that inner tuning fork that gives the reader a genuine and relatable experience, and Koryta proves he can do it in Sorrow.

But we're not only here for f
gert
god, I am so behind on reviewing my summer reads. so behind. but wanted to get this one in before I forgot (when I let them pile up, at most they'll get a star rating!)

loved it. but unfortunately, like so many series, not as much as the first. but what really got me - made me want to remember to write a review - is the subtle and pretty writing. don't get me wrong - this here be a smash'em/shoot'em detective book, complete with the expected snappy dialogue. but there are bits that highlight a we
Jan
A well crafted plot has Lincoln Perry reaching into his past for clues to help a childhood friend who is violently killed. There are those who don't want past secrets uncovered and are willing to kill to avoid that resurrection which puts Perry in the thick of things.
Spuddie
Despite the narrator's quavery-sounding, somewhat (I thought) overly-emotional tone, and the fact that I figured out most of the mystery way ahead of time, I enjoyed this book quite a bit. There were lots of plot twists and turns that kept me second-guessing myself for awhile and the writing style is very evocative.

I will say though, that I found myself thinking of the main character (Lincoln Perry) as somewhere in his forties or fifties...and it was a bit of a shock when somewhere along the wa
Carrie
Sorrow's Anthem is the second book in the Lincoln Perry series by Koryta. Without a doubt, this book is a great follow up to Tonight I Said Goodbye. In the first book, the reader gets an introduction to Lincoln and his partner Joe, who are both former police detectives that now operate a private investigative service. The first book serves as a great introduction to both main characters and has an intriguing plot. After reading it, my only complaint was that I wanted to know more about Lincoln's ...more
David
I read Michael Koryta's first book, "Tonight I said Goodbye" earlier this year. He wrote it when he was 21, which I find quite impressive. That being said, I had trouble staying with the book and keeping interested in the plot. It was a bit clunky and read, well, like a first book. His second, "Sorrow's Anthem", is a much different story. This book grabbed me right away and keep me turning pages until I reached the end.

The plot is not all that original. Lincoln Perry has a friend accused of mur
Bradley
From Publishers Weekly
Koryta's impressive second hard-boiled mystery is a worthy successor to his debut, Tonight I Said Goodbye (2004), an Edgar and Shamus finalist. Cleveland PI Lincoln Perry, haunted by the circumstances that led to his estrangement from his best friend, Ed Gradduk, clutches at an opportunity for redemption on learning that Gradduk is a fugitive from the law, suspected of arson and murder. Perry's hopes of repairing their relationship are dashed after his childhood confidant d
Heidi
3.5

All throughout his childhood, Ed Gradduk has been Lincoln Perry’s best friend. Then, several years ago, in an attempt to help him, Lincoln made a decision which left the two friends estranged and make Lincoln a pariah on his own home turf. Now Ed is back and in trouble again, accused of arson and murdering a woman. Convinced that his old friend is incapable of such a heinous crime, Lincoln is trying to reach out to Ed in an effort to make amends. But more powerful forces are at play, and Ed i
D
Excellent story of a tragic hero, old-style neighborhood mobs, long time frenemies, and local corruption. The action is quick and the tension gripping. But it's the tragedy and complexity of old friendships that have soured or gotten confused over the years that adds depth and feeling to the matter.

I had not read the first book in this series, but that didn't change my enjoyment. It did, however, prompt me to go find that first book and get it, too!

There's also the fact that while the hero has
LJ
SORROW’s ANTHEM (Private Investigator-Cleveland, OH-Cont) – VG
Koryta, Michael – 2nd in series
Thomas Dunne Books, 2006- Hardcover
Private investigator Lincoln Perry’s childhood friend, Ed Gradduck has been videotaped leaving an arson fire; a house containing the body of a murdered woman. Lincoln and Ed have been estranged for years, but Lincoln doesn’t believe his friend is guilty and offers to help Ed. Ed bolts and is run over by the police. But was it accidental or did the police want to keep Ed
james
The author, Michael Koryta, writes two types of books: Sorrow's Anthem (the title refers to the sounds generated by police, fire truck, and ambulance sirens) is the second in an excellent series by this author. He also writes books about supernatural topics which I don't like.

Sorrow's Anthem features a former Cleveland PD detective named Lincoln Perry who left the force to strike out as a private eye with an older former detective. This book starts with one of LP's childhood buddies named as the
George
Book two of the series, suffers from #2itis. A well crafted plot has Lincoln Perry attempting to help a childhood friend who is then killed. This story wove in and out, with players added all the time--who really did it? It was hard to keep them all straight. Koryta is a great writer of urban action.That said, I'm in for the third episode.
shawn
good read

This book was a very good read! I will read this Authors other published works in the near future! Can't wait to get started!
Ellen Keim
The is the second of Michael Koryta's crime novels that I've read (I'm trying to read them in order). His first book was written when he was only 21. Usually, as a writer, that just makes me jealous, but his books are so enjoyable I just go with the flow. He's a very smooth writer, his plots are interesting and his main characters are well-developed. There is also a touch of humor in them that I like. He reminds me of Laurence Block's Matthew Scudder novels and that's high praise indeed. I'd lik ...more
Johnnie Gee
I like every book I have read by Michael Koryta. This one takes Lincoln back to his old neighborhood with his buddies from childhood. Well, things have changed and his "once" best friend is killed what he watch's.

The story has a good plot, where you find out that old friends change, and if you aren't there with them they change anyway, while you remember them as they were from time past.
Sally
This is the second book in the Lincoln Perry series by Koryta.

When PI Lincoln Perry learns that his childhood buddy he hasn't seen in eight years is wanted for arson and murder, Perry sets out to find his friend, Ed Gradduck, and do what he can to help him. But Ed is killed in an accident and Perry is left with a lot of baggage over their broken friendship and refuses to believe his buddy was a murderer. Perry decides to investigate the fire and murder in hopes of clearing Ed's name, despite re

Mpcheek
This was my favorite out of the three Koryta books I have read.
Ricardo Bosque
No me gustan las exageraciones, así que afronté la lectura de la novela con la debida cautela y casi con la pistola cargada y dispuesta a disparar a la mínima ocasión que tuviera de hacerlo. No la tuve. Al contrario, cada cierto de número de páginas un impulso de incredulidad me llevaba a revisar la solapa del libro y contemplar, una vez más, el rostro escandalosamente juvenil e incluso inocente del autor.
Reseña completa en Calibre .38:
Larry
I actually gave this a 3.5. Pretty good read.
Ann Chan
If this website has a decimal points rating, I would give this book a 3.5 stars rating. It started off with a pretty exciting plot, but unfortunately the excitement had lasted only for 150 pages or so.
Judy
I am enjoying Koryta books. Looking forward to reading more.I like the mix of the 2 PI's. Surprise ending!
Jay1993
A decent sequel to the series.
Bonnie
Michael Koryta is a great story teller. His books have a nice rhythm to them.
Stefan
This was an exciting, fun thriller (even if it was a bit short). The tension, interesting back-story, engaging characters, good dialogue, good action scenes, and plenty of surprises keep this mystery fast paced. This narrative is intelligent, feels plausible, and kept me constantly glued to my seat. I enjoyed the fact that through the back-stories, the author elaborated on Lincoln Perry’s past (which I had wanted to know more about ever since I read the first novel).
Solim
Liked it a lot, but the twist was not as good as in the first one. This book gave some background info on Perry which is great because you dont know too much a about him from the first book. Koryta's style of writing alone is enough to make me want to read the next one, and the dialogue is well written amongst the characters in the book to give a few smiles at times, in other words believable. 4.5/5 stars, my new favorite mystery author.
David
Michael Koryta continues to deliver with this Lincoln Perry mystery. Equally at home in supernatural thrillers, this series is pure noir, set in Cleveland and would make Dashell Hammett proud with the two gumshoes and Dennis Lehane proud with the slimeball villains. Koryta uses this second novel of the series to delve more into Perry's past particularly as it relates to his old neighborhood and why he moved away. Excellent mystery.
Evelyn
Private investigator Lincoln Perry decides to avenge the death of a childhood friend who is run down by detectives from the Cleveland Police Department after being accused of arson and murder.

Koryta is an author to watch! This second hard-boiled mystery is part Raymond Chandler and part Dennis Lehane. Highly recommend.
Jill
Jun 26, 2011 Jill rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lincoln Perry Series, Mystery, Thriller,
This series is getting a little better. It's still kind of slow. I think that Michael Koryta should stick with science fiction/horror genre because this area is not really grabbing me. I wonder if anyone else is having trouble with it. But oh well, overall it is slowly getting better the characters are developing more and the plotlines are getting to be more challenging. It looks like there's hope!
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Walking the Perfect Square (Moe Prager #1)
  • City of the Sun (Frank Behr, #1)
  • A Hard Ticket Home (Mac McKenzie, #1)
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Cape Disappointment (Thomas Black, #12)
  • Flipping Out (Lomax & Biggs, #3)
  • El lejano país de los estanques
  • Pepper Pike (Milan Jacovich, #1)
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)
  • A Cold Red Sunrise (Porfiry Rostnikov, #5)
  • Good People
  • Mortal Bonds (Jason Stafford, #2)
  • Mangaka. Lágrimas en la arena
  • Breathing Water (Poke Rafferty Mystery, #3)
Michael Koryta (pronounced ko-ree-ta)has written nine novels, praised by such authors as Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Michael Connelly and Dennis Lehane, and his most recent novel, THE PROPHET, was called "Friday Night Lights meets In Cold Blood...a flawless performance" by Kirkus. His last three novels, THE RIDGE, THE CYPRESS HOUSE, and SO COLD THE RIVER were all New York Times notable books and no ...more
More about Michael Koryta...

Lincoln Perry (4 books)
  • Tonight I Said Goodbye (Lincoln Perry Series #1)
  • A Welcome Grave (Lincoln Perry, #3)
  • The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry Series #4)
Those Who Wish Me Dead So Cold the River The Prophet The Cypress House The Ridge