Start by marking “Super Dinosaur Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Super Dinosaur Volume 1

Super Dinosaur Volume 1 (Super Dinosaur #1)

The Evil Max Maximus wants to get to Inner-Earth! He wants the dinosaurs that live there! He wants the powerful DynOre mineral that originates there! Super Dinosaur and Derek Dynamo are the only ones who can stop him! The fate of the world rests on the shoulders of a ten year-old kid and his best friend, a nine-foot tall Tyrannosaurus Rex who loves to play video games! ...more
Published December 6th 2011 by Image Comics (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Super Dinosaur Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Super Dinosaur Volume 1

Raina
Sep 15, 2015 Raina rated it liked it
My girlfriend begged me not to booktalk this.

I brought this on a weekend trip we took together, and found myself constantly reading the cheesy dialogue aloud to her.

I'm talking about gems like:
"Sorry I'm late to the party -- but, good news -- I BROUGHT MISSILES!"
and
"My gloves hold all kinds of awesome stuff we use to fight these guys. I made them, too. I'm totally awesome."

It's about this kid, who lives with his dad and an "altered," intelligent TRex in a secret base on Mount Rainier. Extra poi
Eric Mikols
May 14, 2013 Eric Mikols rated it really liked it
Okay, it's not high art, but it's fun and I would have loved it as a kid. You could easily call it "A Boy and His Dinosaur". Maybe four stars is a bit high, but it has a T-Rex with a mech suit. That's three stars right there.
Thomas Salerno
Aug 20, 2016 Thomas Salerno rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
What an AWESOME comic! Super Dinosaur has all of the action, thrills, and heart of the greatest Saturday morning cartoons from my childhood. In fact, this concept is just begging for an animated series adaptation. This was the most fun I've had reading a comic book in a long time. I was in love with every panel. So much awesome was packed into this fist volume. I can't wait to find out what incredible adventures are in store for our heroes next! If you love dinosaurs and/or classic adventure car ...more
Tawn
Jan 03, 2012 Tawn rated it really liked it
am not sure if I would call this a comic book or a graphic novel because that’s not the area that I am familiar with. What I am familiar with is comic book/graphic novel crazy little boys. So far this book is a hit!

I tried to read this on the adobe reader (not pdf) that I downloaded but it was a little hard to read the panel. I finally figured out how to get it on my kindle. I love it. The pictures are phenomenal. My little guy (4) can’t read yet but he was looking at the panel making his own s
Hugh Smalley

"Collects SUPER DINOSAUR #1-5 and SUPER DINOSAUR ORIGIN SPECIAL #1. This is where it begins! The Evil Max Maximus wants to get to Inner-Earth! He wants the dinosaurs that live there! He wants the powerful DynOre mineral that originates there! SUPER DINOSAUR and DEREK DYNAMO are the only ones who can stop him! The fate of the world rests on the shoulders of a ten year-old kid and his best friend, a nine-foot tall Tyrannosaurus Rex who loves to play video games."

The Evil Max Maximus wants to get t

Nicola Mansfield
Feb 03, 2012 Nicola Mansfield rated it really liked it
Reason for Reading: Robert Kirkman wanted to write something his son could read and I wanted him too! So I was anxious to see what this would be like.

This was truly wonderful. We jump right in with battle scenes between genetically altered dinosaurs, who are part robot, and Derek Dynamo. Then we are switched back to the lab where Super Dinosaur (SD to his friends) quickly starts talking about his machinery. This leaves the reader somewhat out of the loop but as the events and dialogue continue w
Jacob
Dec 24, 2011 Jacob rated it it was ok
Much as I loathe to write a negative review, I just cannot recommend this to everyone. I have young kids and I won't be passing along this title. With this work Kirkman continues to demonstrate that his best work can be found (for mature readers) within The Walking Dead or Invincible. In fact, the reader learns right from page one that attention to detail is missing because the story opens up with a splash page, which has Super Dinosaur in the foreground and Derek Dynamo in the background, but ...more
Ubalstecha
Mar 08, 2013 Ubalstecha rated it it was ok
Deryk Dynamo is not your ordinary kid. His father is a genius level scientist and his best friend is a mutant dinosaur. He and his best friend have cool, tricked out robot gear to fight other mutant robots who are evil. But there are secrets in Deryk's world, like why he and his father don't remember Deryk's mother. And why Deryk's best friend is the only good dinosaur around. Can they find the answers before they are betrayed by someone close to them?

Maybe I am not the right audience, but I fou
Demian Katz
Mar 31, 2015 Demian Katz rated it did not like it
The best one can hope of something called "Super Dinosaur" is either an exercise in hilarious absurdity or else an ambitious attempt to transcend the ridiculousness of the concept. What one finds here falls somewhere in between, failing to hit either mark. It's not so over-the-top that it's funny; it's just dumb. Its attempts at drama fall flat because the characters have no character. While I'll give it a little bit of credit for ending on a decent cliffhanger, that doesn't redeem it enough to ...more
Anthony
Nov 04, 2013 Anthony rated it it was ok
A young boy and his father are working with a small t-rex to save the earth. A entire world was found under the earth's crust, a world where dinosaurs still exist. The boy, his father and their dino friend must work to protect this utopia from evil villain Max Maximus.

The three main characters in this book are Derek Dynamo, a ten year old boy who fights Max Maximus along wit his talking t-rex, Super Dinosaur and Dr. Dynamo Derek's father. The three live together in an fortress in the mountains.

T
Glenajo
Feb 04, 2012 Glenajo rated it it was amazing
Super Dinosaur by Robert Kirkman is the first in a relatively new comic series sure to please young boys and girls, and those who enjoy comics. The villain is Evil Max Maximus whose goal is to reach the center of the earth where dinosaurs still reside. The hero is 10-year-old Derek Dynamo and his best friend Super Dinosaur who utilizes bionic arms and other devices to help defeat evil.

All around, this is a great story, good, clean fun. Though there is some violence, it is minimal with the good
P Fosten
Mar 04, 2012 P Fosten rated it really liked it
This is a very good all ages comic in the style of Ben 10. It's big action and the concept is fun. An inner world (similar to the hollow earth theory) is discovered with a new power source and still living dinosaurs. An evil scientist creates Dinosaur-human hybrids but is opposed at every turn by the son of his old partner (a 10 year old boy) and the first hybrid, SUPER DINOSAUR! The plot gets deeper than that and leads to all sorts of important dilemmas but never in a preachy way. Excellent fun ...more
Cale
Aug 23, 2014 Cale rated it really liked it
This is a very family-oriented kid-friendly superhero book. Super Dinosaur is a genetically modified T-Rex that is smaller and smarter than the originals, who fights evil dinosaurs and villains with the help of a weapons harness and his best friend Derek. It's silly and over the top, but bloodless and, I hesitate to use the word, affirming. There's family drama and relationship drama, and lots and lots of action between dinosaurs, humans, and robots. It's also surprisingly compelling; the ...more
Magila
3.5

There was something decidedly unpolished to me about this work. The artwork was solid, but not fantastic. It suffers from some of the common ills, people being too fit and young in general, characters not standing out, etc.

But, it is amazing for its target audience. Young men will love this. Dinosaurs, technology, fighting, dinosaurs with guns strapped to them, the word awesome. In general it's ok, but for late grammar and middle school boys, there will be few better graphic novels.

I'd stro
Chantaal
I had incredibly high hopes for Super Dinosaur, because there's nothing about the concept that isn't awesome. A dinosaur that fights? Yes! A kid who fights with him? Yes! Robert Kirkman writing? Hell yes!

So color me disappointed when I realized, as I kept reading, that I found myself sort of bored by it all. There's no reason this should be boring - the concept is too out there and fun for it - but it is.
Dolores
Sep 04, 2013 Dolores rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars. It took me some time-and two attempts to get into this one. I guess all those "awesomes" and "kicking butts" got on my nerves. But this is DEFINITELY a book aimed at the younger crowd-betting fourth grade boys will devour it in one sitting. It's fast paced and action packed with just enough humor. And the future events foreshadowed here, as well as the cliffhanger ending will have younger readers clamoring for book two.
Carol
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. It is typical action adventure sci-fi comic book stuff that boys will love. (Probably 3rd grade on up). I loved the nod to classic sci-fi tales with the discovery of an inner earth populated by dinosaurs. Fans of Ben-10, Bakugan, etc... will definitely find this an exciting read.
Sean
Jan 20, 2014 Sean rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any comics fan!
What a fun all ages book! Robert Kirkman, most known for the very adult, The Walking Dead, shows his range here. Super Dinosaur that every preteen should read. Its fun, exciting, and doesn't dumb anything down to the reader. The art by Jason Howard is really well-suited for the book. Overall, a really fun book!
Michael
Feb 20, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok
I'm all for boys teaming up with cybernetic T-Rexes to fight dino-men and mad scientists, but the dialogue in Super Dinosaur has a few too many "awesome"s and "way cool"s for my taste. The characters in the book are too in love with their own concept for it to feel connected to reality. Kids may not care, but it's not an all-ages book in the literal sense of the term.
G-E
Jul 01, 2016 G-E rated it liked it
Robert Kirkman (auteur de Walking Dead) sort de sa zone de confort et offre un comics pour jeunes adolescents. Tout est là et parfois, je dirais même qu’il y en a trop. Dinosaure, base secrète, robot, explosion, humanosaure, créatures marines sont au rendez-vous. Je ne suis pas le public cible, mais probablement qu’un garçon de 9 ans y trouverait son compte.
David
Jan 09, 2012 David rated it liked it
I didn't hate Super Dinosaur but I really appreciate some of Robert Kirkman's other works more. Super Dinosaur seems like a half-baked concept whose execution can't overcome that fact that the target audience is someone who would think of something like a T-Rex in a mecha suit that fights bad guys. With a boy sidekick.
Rishi
Jan 14, 2013 Rishi rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Okay, but not great. I like the concept a lot and I normally really like Kirkman's writing, but it feels like, in his attempt to make an all-ages book, he dumbed things down rather than embracing the possibilities.
Jonathan Roberts
Apr 29, 2014 Jonathan Roberts rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I originally got this book because I thought it was an off shoot from Invincible but turns out it is just a stand alone series about a boy and his genetically altered T-Rex best friend. Good for younger ages and not too bad for is adults too.
Angela
Jul 27, 2013 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, image
There's a dinosaur who is clever and shoots weapons. He's helped by a genius kid. They fight bad guys and dino men. Do you need to know more? It's kind of cool, and I suspect children would love this. A good read.
David
Jan 13, 2015 David rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, read-comics
Issues #1-5

An interesting story about Super Dinosaur and Derek Dynamo. A fun adventure of a 10-year-old boy and his talking dinosaur. He also plays basketball.

TWD creator Robert Kirkman will most likely turn this into a movie by joining with Pixar.
Nicolas
Jul 19, 2016 Nicolas rated it liked it
This is hard to review. It's loud and over the top, but also pretty self-aware. It's not my favorite and I might have given up at volume one if not for the last page. Well played, Robert Kirkman.
Ian
Feb 27, 2014 Ian rated it it was ok
I've read forty trades of Robert Kirkman fumbling every single tension that he builds. If this first trade is any indication, this series will be no different, so I'll quit while I'm ahead.
Klay
May 13, 2016 Klay rated it it was amazing
It's kind of the dream, to build all the robotic stuff you want and have a dinosaur for a best friend? With proper nemeses?!
Mark
Aug 10, 2013 Mark rated it liked it
This was fun. Bought it for my son and we've read it about five times since. A little much over-use of the word "awesome" but that's it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 3: Reach for the Stars
  • Tiny Titans, Vol. 7: Growing Up Tiny!
  • Skullkickers: Treasure Trove, Volume 1
  • The Compleat Terminal City
  • Heck
  • Missile Mouse #2: Rescue on Tankium3
  • Manifest Destiny, Vol. 1: Flora & Fauna
  • B.P.R.D.: Being Human (B.P.R.D., #15)
  • Captain Disaster (Squish, #4)
  • Ultra: Seven Days
  • Elephantmen 2260, Vol. 1: Memories of the Future
  • The Glorkian Warrior Delivers a Pizza
  • Ninjago: "Warriors of Stone", Vol. 6
  • Ghosted, Volume One: Haunted Heist (Ghosted, #1)
  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection, Vol. 3
  • Invincible Presents Atom Eve & Rex Splode Volume 1
  • Spera, Volume 2
  • Hoax Hunters, Book 1: Murder, Death, and the Devil
More about Robert Kirkman...

Super Dinosaur (4 books)