Start by marking “Rook” as Want to Read:
Rook

Rook

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  131 ratings  ·  20 reviews
"Saving the world twice a week is a crappy job, but hey, somebody's got to do it." And yes, Rook would like to be quoted on that. In a world where the earth is the DMZ between Heaven and Hell, Rook and his team try keep the forces of good and evil at bay. But like we said... try.
Published September 8th 2011 by Off Our Meds Multimedia, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Rook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rook

Kathy
This free kindle book was better that I originally thought. It was fast pace, entertaining read. Loved Fanny and Rook's soft spot for her. Although the ending felt a little rushed to me, I will more than likely continue with the series just to see if the author picks up from the ending or sends the group on to a new adventure.
Joe Young
A story about a brave, mid-fifties, unassuming women who wandered the roads of an agrarian society for twenty years dressed as a slight man and carrying an oak staff. She had left an abusive husband after a particularly severe beating. On her journey, she spent time with other enlightened women and learned the ways of herbs and folk medicine absorbing the ways of the natural world including prayers and incantations. She was heading towards a renown wise, old women in the north who had accumulate ...more
Kristy Berridge
What isn't there to love about this book? With a smart-ass protagonist called, Rook, and a whole host of crazy characters ranging from a transgender arranger named Beauty, to an institutionalized kid named Fanny, this novel takes you on an unexpected journey of epic proportions.
Rook is aptly named for it's leading character - strong, arrogant, mysterious and decidedly sexy despite the obvious lack of romance and intense commitment to action within the story. With a particularly dry sense of humo
Cam
I'm pretty certain that the previous reviewer read a completely different book than I did. Rook: Let's Avoid the Apocalypse, People is a dark comedy where the forces of heaven & hell decide once & for all to duke it out on our little mudball, collateral damage be damned. Terra inferma has been a demilitarized zone for a celestial cold war that has suddenly shifted into full blown armageddon with only the A(typical)-team between us mere mortals & oblivion. We're inundated with legions ...more
K.R. Bankston
This book was alot of fun!! I loved Rook, the hero with his on/off personality. I loved his dry wit as wellas the soft spot he had for Fanny, the childlike seeker that was with them. She had the cute childlike innocence but she handles business when needed be. Tomahawk and Angela were very likeable, and their characters gave depth to the story, though Angela tended to grate my nerves a teeny bit. Beauty, now that was my girl!! Loved her character, loved her wit, humor, the realness of being who ...more
Christie
This was my favorite of the books. So many wonderful characters in this book. Rook, who is the so-called leader of a motley crew of peace keepers (if that is what you want to call them). You have my favorite, Beauty, the cross dressing handler. Tomahawk, who is pissed at Rook for getting him pulled back into the fight to protect the world. Fanny, the child in a woman's body. This is such a great story of how they all have something wonderful to bring to the fight. They are basically fighting the ...more
Kim Jackson
This was a pretty good book and a fast, action packed read. I got this book in a boxed set so I am not sure what genre it is marked as but, I would think it a teen book. The characters were colorful but not well defined. The author could give us a little more depth on the characters but overall, a good teen book. There were demons, angels, vampires and other creatures but it wasn't a really gory book. I would recommend this book to my teenage niece to read.
Brad T.
Not my favorite by this author
Sandra Gilbert
That was one really fun and amazing story. Anything that could go wrong, did. There was excitement, suspense, angels, demons and a fun and odd, but endearing cast of main characters.

I honestly can't wait for future tales featuring these guys.

Oh and if anyone asks, Fanny is by far my favorite, she is absolutely the best blend of naive, quirky, out right nuts and serious.
Joanna
This was a quick and fun introduction to Rook and his team who apparently regularly save us from the apocalypse. I always enjoy a sci-fi action series and this one hits the mark. I'd like to see more of their adventures and am eager to learn more about the history of how the team came together. Can't wait for more installments!
Angie Brill
I really enjoyed this book and found its characters very engaging. I yearned for a bit more details about them but I am hoping the subsequent novels will provide that. The concept of Seekers, Casters, Arrangers, etc...is fantastic. The entire structure of the world the author built will keep me coming back for more!
Melissa
This book was included in the Got Thrills kindle bundle. Very campy, very much like a movie pitch to the SyFy channel but like a campy horror film(sometimes you just need an Evil Dead/Bruce Campbell fix, right?) a book like this is just what one needs. A fun read for a rainy afternoon.
JK
An incoherent mess at best. There were so many ideas for the plot, setting, characters. Everything. None of them were fleshed out or, hell, even partially explained. This was probably one of the worst books I've ever read.
Neeka
This was not her best work by far... it was a somewhat fun read and I am sure to read the next one in the series. This book didn't hook me like the previous books I have read of hers in the past.
Cyndi
Great start to a new series and a new twist on UF. Can't wait to see what happens next in this world Ms. West has created.
Bobby
Worthy effort and I'm sure has a fan base but a little over the top for me. But...I tried it and stuck with it.
Catherine Gordon
Fun and interesting! Well worth your reading time.
Dawn
Action packed and fast paced...just love this.
Ivoire Puddin
Really good hope there's more coming!
AH
Mar 14, 2012 AH marked it as to-read
Kindle free download 3/14/12
Gold Books
Gold Books marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Jeannette
Jeannette marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Lazharae Hall
Lazharae Hall marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Sarah Parker
Sarah Parker marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Kerry
Kerry marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Leandra
Leandra marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
  • HeartsBlood (Praxis, #1)
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Soul Search
  • Shadowed Ground (The Chronicles of Nowhere #2)
  • Viridis (Viridis, #1)
  • Heavenly Lover (Guardian Angel, #1)
  • Arson (Arson, #1)
  • Solstice: A Novel of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Djinn
  • L.A. Rain: Three Novels
  • Here Be Monsters - An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Scottish Rite
  • Darker Things (The Lockman Chronicles, #1)
  • Weaver (Weaver Saga #1)
  • Sunrise at Sunset (1st Edition) (Sunset Vampire, DISCONTINUED EDITION)
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
I find catching serial killers (on paper of course), well... fun.

Do you really need to know anything more about me?

Ok, fine, I am also a veterinarian (for real, not just in my own head like the serial killer thing) and I find the thought of having a romance with a homo chiroptera pretty hot.

See? I told you, you didn't want to know anything else!

For the holidays I am giving away my Patterson-style
More about Cristyn West...
Plain Jane: Brunettes Beware (Harbinger Mystery, #1) All Hallow's Eve The Evil Within Full Body Contact: Is he a fighter or a killer?