Start by marking “Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends #2)” as Want to Read:
Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends #2)

Persuade Me (Darcy & Friends #2)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  540 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
When do you let your heart rule your head?
When it comes to love, Anna Elliot is stuck in the past. No one can compare to Rick Wentworth, the man she gave up ten years ago at the insistence of her disapproving family. What if she’s missed her only chance for real happiness?

Since Anna broke his heart, Rick has moved on – or so he thinks. Out in Australia, he’s worked hard to
Published (first published September 15th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Persuade Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Persuade Me

Ahnya
May 16, 2015 Ahnya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff
Rick Wentworth is a successful marine biologist living in Australia. His book about the mating habits of sea creatures, and comparing it to human behavior called Sex in the Sea has become wildly popular with the ladies in England. Most likely due to the fact is has a very sexy picture of him shirtless on the cover. Because of this success he is coming back to England for a book tour. Unfortunately this will take him into the sphere of the woman who broke his heart Anna Elliot.

Anna Elliot is a p
Hillary Hunt
Feb 06, 2013 Hillary Hunt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This is the first modern re-telling of an Austen novel I've read, and if they're all like this, I don't know if these fan-fic books are my thing. =(

I was loving the book in the beginning. I could immediately tell the author was British through the style and language of the writing, and it made me think of Bridget Jone's Diary. I liked how she updated the details of the world the characters live in as far as their occupations and why it was Rick was returning to England having become a somewhat c
Mary Doyle
Feb 02, 2016 Mary Doyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-books
Loved this book.....it kept me up till the wee hours of the morning,turning each page in an effort to discover how Anna and Rick would finally admit their feelings,realise life is short and simply just be together.

This book is beautifully written.

From the very beginning it captured my imagination, as, somehow the characters felt like real people and the way their problems were portrayed, (be it a hasty marriage to an ill suited partner,to meeting,for the first time in ten years,your first love
Anji
PERSUADE ME by Juliet Archer - audio version

This is the second of a series written by Juliet Archer, updating the storyline of a Jane Austen novel to the modern day. Unlike the first one, this one wasn't told with the alternating POVs or narrators. If it had been, it would have been wonderful to hear Rick Wentworth voiced by an actor such as Christopher Eccleston or Richard Armitage. Yes, our Captain is now Dr. Rick Wentworth, marine biologist from the north of England, now living in Australia (
Jeffrey
Nov 20, 2012 Jeffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Juliet Archer has undertaken the daunting task of faithfully re-writing Jane Austen’s classic novels with a modern and contemporary twist. Persuade Me is the second offering in her Darcy & Friends series.

Reading Persuade Me was like gazing with admiration at any one of my six grandchildren. There before me are reminders of some of the best-loved features of my own children but lovingly arranged fresh and new. As I began the 341 page odyssey I thought to myself “What can possibly be so
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Dr. Rick Wentworth, a successful marine biologist/celebrity author, is preparing for his extensive seven-week book tour in England, with a book provocatively titled, Sex in the Sea. With a flourishing career, a modest amount of wealth and popularity, a supermodel girlfriend, and a very attractive physique, it would seem Rick has everything he has ever wanted. But he doesn't. He doesn't have Anna Elliot, who was persuaded by her family to give him up ten years ago and whose rejection still haunts ...more
Deanna
A fun, fun book. It truly was.
I read Persuasion this past winter, and it instantly became a Austen favorite of mine. I do love retellings, when done well, so I was very much intrigued by Persuade Me. There was a chance for disappointment, but disappointed I was not. While I knew how the story would end, I was greatly pleased with the various contemporary factors added that captured my attention and provoked intrigue. While knowing the trajectory of the story, I did not know how Juliet Archer wou
Tammy Smith
Aug 05, 2012 Tammy Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-reviews
I have to tell you, I couldn't get enough of this book. The thing is that with any retelling, you know how the story is going to end, but for me, it is how you get there. I thought the characters were wonderful. While the story held true to Jane's vision, Juliet Archer took a lot of liberties with the back drops and characters that made this feel shiny and new.

Anne is a professor of Russian Literature and does not live at home. Mary has a drinking problem. Elizabeth, well, she will always be va
Misty
Hmm. Okay, how do I say this without sounding kinda crazy? I accepted this for review, but I was really unsure of whether I was going to like it. That makes me sound like a jackass, so let me explain: it's contemporary and it has a gorgeous cover - those are 2 things that put my guard up, because contemporary (no matter how much excellentcontemporary I read) translates to "fluff" in my stubborn mind, and I've been burned by the Pretty Cover Curse one to many times. ButI liked Juliet's excerpt la ...more
Kim
I was recently afforded the opportunity of working with Juliet Archer. We were fortunate enough to collaborate on The Austen Games together and have developed a nice little friendship driven by our love for Jane Austen! Juliet is the author of the Darcy and Friends series, which currently consists of two novels and is soon to be followed by more works. The first in the series, The Importance of Being Emma, was well received and was soon followed by Persuade Me. Both books have received several r ...more
Chanpreet
Jul 15, 2012 Chanpreet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who doesn't love Jane Austen? Persuade Me is Juliet Archer's modern version of Persuasion, and it's lovely! It was great to see how Ms. Archer translated the characters into today's world. This modern retelling is fairly close to the original, and will definitely win over new readers who may not be aware of the phenom that is Jane Austen.

I just wonder which novel Juliet Archer will choose next to bring into modern times and how she'll do it!
Stephanie Cage
Sep 02, 2014 Stephanie Cage rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved 'Persuade Me'. Having enjoyed 'The Importance of Being Emma', I was slightly afraid that the novelty of modern Austen adaptations might have worn off, but if anything, I enjoyed this second book even more, though the reasons for that were largely personal.
Being a great fan of all things Antipodean, I loved the fact that Rick Wentworth had spent time as a marine biologist in Australia. Back in the UK, he reconnects with old flame Anna, now a lecturer in Russian Literature at..
Alice
Feb 22, 2012 Alice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quand je vois un livre autour de Persuasion, j'avoue, je réfléchis peu! Du coup, je ne savais même pas à quoi m'attendre véritablement avec ce livre avant de lire les premières pages et de me rendre compte que nous étions dans une réécriture moderne. Et là, je me suis dit "Aïe, j'ai tellement aimé Persuading Annie que ça va être dur d'être au niveau"!

Pourtant, dès la première page, nous sommes face à une entrée en matière des plus intéressantes, un prologue écrit par Mr. Darcy himself! Ensuite,
Kathryn
Sep 15, 2011 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jane Austen fans, romance readers
Shelves: choc-lit
If I tell you that Jane Austen is one of my favourite authors and has been since I was a teenager; that Persuasion is not only my favourite of all her books but one of my all-time favourite books; and that Captain Wentworth is my favourite literary hero, then you'll probably understand why I might have been slow to flick open Juliet Archer's Persuade Me, a modern retelling of Persuasion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modern revamps of classic books and films. When they're done well, they can gi
Imelda Evans
Jan 11, 2014 Imelda Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book not knowing it was an Austen adaptation. In case that sounds weird, it's because I didn't choose this book, it came to me - possibly at a conference. Had I known, I probably wouldn't have started it, as I am not normally a fan of adaptations, especially of books I like and Austen's Persuastion is a favourite. But Ms Archer won me over. She did a good job of updating the characters without over-changing the story and some of her characterisations I particularly enjoyed. I'm ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Sep 09, 2011 Tara Chevrestt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-release, kindle
We've all heard the saying, "when you assume, you make an ass of you and me." In this book, there's a LOT of assuming and thus, a lot of people making asses of themselves... and that's part of what makes this book so funny and entertaining.

Quick summary: Rick and Anna loved each other long ago, but her snotty family convinced her to give him up. She lives in England. He lives in Australia. Ten years after their tragic romance, he is right in her backyard doing a book tour. Do they have a second
Lorraine.Hates.Cliffhanger.Endings!
Finished last night, it took me a while to get into the style of the story.

It was very similar to the original style of Austin's writing of Persuasion (which I found to be a bit of a slog to read, eventually resorting to the audio book).

I left Persuade Me sitting on my kindle for a day thinking of starting another book with a more fast paced story but found that I wanted to finish it and I was very happy that I did.

Characters were all believable and certainly complimented Austin's originals,
Tanya
Mar 17, 2014 Tanya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: romance, read-2014
Susan
Feb 04, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
After reading a few modern retellings of Pride and Prejudice and not really liking them I was skeptical about reading this book. Which is why it has been sitting in my e-reader for some months. But I was very pleasantly surprised with this modern version of Jane Austen's Persuasion and loved it.
Robyn Koshel
Feb 27, 2014 Robyn Koshel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Persuasion is my favourite Jane Austen Book. I am glad that Juliet Archer stayed true to the novel in “Persuade me”. At its heart the book is about regret and what could have been. Would life be different for Anna if she didn’t let Rick slip threw her fingers?

Even in a modern setting, you can still feel the longing they both have for each other. Anna made the mistake when she was younger of letting her family rule her heart, and she regretted it ever since.

The book is about second chances. Julie
Carmen8094
Blodeuedd Finland
You all know I love Pride and Prejudice variations and for a long time I loved that book the most. But then I watched Persuasion and after some time I found that this was the story I now loved the most because it spoke to me. And therefore I was thrilled to read a variation.

Yes, a series, but here you truly do not need to worry since this is a variation and we just hear that Rick knows Darcy and that is it.

Since this is a contemporary version it is slightly different but the story is still the s
Micah
Aug 07, 2012 Micah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leah
Sep 27, 2011 Leah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite having never read a Jane Austen novel (please don’t lynch me), I do enjoy a good modern-day adaptation. I don’t entirely know why but it could have something to do with the fact that reading a modern version of a Jane Austen novel means I can get the gist of Jane’s books without having to read all the old-fashioned writing (now you can lynch me). So when I was asked if I wanted to read Juliet Archer’s second ‘Darcy and Friends’ novel I was dubious so I took a look at the excerpt availabl ...more
C D Meetens
Oct 08, 2011 C D Meetens rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, adult
Ten years after Anna Eliot was persuaded to leave Rick Wentworth to pursue her university degree and a career, they meet again. Will they give love a second chance? Or is her desertion something Rick can never forgive?

I love Jane Austen's novels, and Persuasion is one of my favourites. So, when I discovered a modern retelling of the story was available, I was intrigued. I had already read another modern version of it, and hadn't enjoyed it, due to the characters being too angry.

Not so with Julie
Sue
Dec 19, 2011 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Persuade Me by Juliet Archer is a modern day version of Jane Austin's Persuassion and was kindly sent to me by publishers Choc Lit to review.

When she was eighteen Anna Elliott met the love of her life Rick Wentworth in France. Unfortunately, events and people conspired against them and Rick went to live and work in Australia alone while Anna chose to stay in the UK to go to university.

After ten years apart, although their lives have moved on alone, they have never forgotten the time they shared
Candy
Sep 07, 2012 Candy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: austenesque
Loved it!! Persuade Me is an excellent modernization of Persuasion. Ms. Archer was able to bring it into the modern age without any major changes to the basic storyline.

Rick is returning to the UK, to promote his new book, Sex in the Sea. Anna Elliot has a ticket to his book signing, but would she go? Ten years ago, after a summer in love, Anne left him and returned home to finish her schooling. Persuaded by her father and godmother to fulfill her mother’s dream for Anna to get a degree in Russi
Louise Graham
Sep 12, 2011 Louise Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Persuade Me is the second book by Juliet Archer, published by Choc Lit showing a modern take on the classics by Jane Austen in the Darcy & Friends Series.

Anna met what she thought was the man of her dreams in France but something happened and it didn't last. 10 years on, Anna hears that Celebrity Scientist, Dr Rick Wentworth is back in the UK from Australia promoting his latest bestseller Sex in the Sea.

How will she cope seeing this man who broke her heart? Rick is incapable to "forgive and
Shaz Goodwin
Sep 03, 2011 Shaz Goodwin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Persuade Me is a contemporary re-telling of Jane Austen’s Persuasion. If you’ve read Persuasion then you will know the plot and characters. Very little has been changed apart from the modern setting and some characters get a modern makeover. Of course, being a Choc Lit publication, we also get to see into the heart of our male hero and see things from his perspective.

Frederick Wentworth is known as Rick in Persuade Me. He retains his connection with the sea but as a marine biologist. He comes ba
Jakki
Jul 11, 2012 Jakki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Never forgive, never forget” has been Dr. Rick Wentworth’s mantra for the last ten years. However, after a decade, Rick believes it’s time to forget the past. And what better way to do that than to meet it head on? After publishing his first book, Sex in the Sea, Rick Wentworth decides to return to England promoting his book, and proving to himself that he is capable of forgetting the past.

Upon hearing that Rick Wentworth is back in town, Anna Elliot’s mind is aflutter. She has not forgotten R
Madison Mega-Mara...: "Persuade Me" (Darcy and Friends #2) by Juliet Archer 1 1 Aug 24, 2014 10:51AM
  • Drive and Determination
  • Anne Elliot, A New Beginning
  • Pemberley Ranch
  • Morning Light
  • Mr. Darcy's Proposal
  • Mr. Darcy's Secret
  • Mercy's Embrace: So Rough a Course
  • Captain Wentworth's Persuasion: Jane Austen's Classic Retold Through His Eyes
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • One Thread Pulled: The Dance with Mr. Darcy
  • George Knightley, Esquire: Charity Envieth Not
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • For You Alone (Frederick Wentworth, Captain, #2)
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy: An Honourable Man
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)
  • His Good Opinion: A Mr. Darcy Novel (Brides of Pemberley, #1)
Juliet Archer describes herself as “a 19th-century mind in a 21st-century body – actually, some days it’s the other way round.” The youngest of four girls, she was born and bred in North-East England, where she met her future husband. Unlike Anne Elliot in Persuasion, she resisted well-meant advice and married young, before graduating from the University of Nottingham with a First in French and Ru ...more
More about Juliet Archer...

Darcy & Friends (2 books)
  • The Importance of Being Emma (Darcy & Friends #1)

“I once wrote you a letter and you never replied, which makes me wonder if you ever received it. This time it's a more personal delivery - and I need a reply, even if it's not the one I want.

I'm listening to you - I can hear every word, however softly you speak - and I'm half-agony, half-hope. You're saying that men are realists - that, when the woman they love is no longer available, they move on. Well, believe me, I tried - and I thought I had. But seeing you again, after so many years, just proved how little I knew...

You told me to trust myself. So here I am back in Bath, putting everything on the line for a second chance with you. Is that what you want, too? Whatever your answer, remember this: I may not deserve you - when I think of how I've behaved, I know I've shown little self-control and even less forgiveness - but I've never stopped loving you.

You're talking about heartless men... But I have a heart, and it's the same one you almost broke ten years ago, and it belongs to you, and only you, even more than it did then. And yes, I'm a realist: if you no longer love me, I will accept it. But don't say that only a woman can keep on loving someone who's no longer part of her life! Because I will keep on loving you until there are no stars in the sky.

Tell me tonight how you feel. If there's any chance of you loving me back, then I'll wait for you as I should have waited before. If not, say the word and I'll leave you in peace. But I'll never forget you, or what we had, or what might have been.

Rick”