Start by marking “I'm a Believer” as Want to Read:
I'm a Believer

I'm a Believer

One of life's natural sceptics, Mark is a science teacher who would rather read Stephen Hawking that his horoscope. He certainly doesn't believe in life after death, until his girlfriend dies in a car crash and everything changes. Suddenly he is seeing and talking to her ghost and his life is now consumed with everything supernatural.
Published February 2004 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about I'm a Believer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm a Believer

Novi Bobby
Jul 27, 2008 Novi Bobby rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who's lost a person close to him/her.
Recommended to Novi by: Nicko V.
I hate to judge book by its cover but sometimes we do. I don't usually read chick lit, as a matter of fact this may be my first chick lit that I read. Actually I'm not sure what qualifies a book as a chick lit, other than the chick-ish cover. So I was surprised when a friend of mine who loves to read books about religion and science said that the book is his and that it's a good book. So I borrowed it from him and read it.

It's about this guy Mark whose girlfriend died in a car accident. The stor
Emma
Mar 14, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-love, favorites
First of all the idea behind this book was absolutely beautiful. The idea of losing the one you love under cruel circumstances is hard to bear. Its written so beautifully that It made me cry consistently through the book.

This is the first book by Jessica Adams that I have read and I loved it. The idea's and the writing both compliment each other immensly.

I was instantly drawn to this book by the beautiful cover. It even prompted me to write a verse about heaven, I love when books have this effe
Sin Tien Tan
Jun 21, 2013 Sin Tien Tan rated it really liked it
Literary wise, doesn't hold much weight. However, the witticism much more made up for it. The words will leave you smiling and crying, basically, it's a quintessential choice for light reading.
Chris Versace
Feb 24, 2011 Chris Versace rated it really liked it
One of my favs. What happens when an afterlife sceptic gets haunted by his ex-girlfriend?
Elizabeth Best
Dec 02, 2016 Elizabeth Best rated it really liked it
I shed more than a few tears making my way through this book!

The idea of losing a loved one is tough on anyone and Jessica Adams handles it with a beautiful sensitivity that had it making impact without ever seeming manipulative or "tear jerking".

I hadn't read a Jessica Adams book in ages when I picked this one up but I'm glad I did
Sharon Metcalf
Jan 25, 2016 Sharon Metcalf rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-2015
So, this book was in the fill a bag for $5 bin at the Op shop and I noticed two things about it. First it was recommended by Maggie Alderson, and secondly but probably more importantly I saw a commendation the back cover by Nick Earls. Now Nick has long been a favourite author of mine, although granted he's been given a run for his money this past year. But anyway, considering the price and the names on the covers I found it impossible to pass up. Not only that but even whilst I have loads of ...more
Blin
Apr 19, 2012 Blin rated it liked it
I can't say for certain which part of this story would see the book to be forever referred to as 'chick-lit.' Seems a little short sighted, really. My best guess is that the label became stuck, not unlike band-aid adhesive, after it was realised heterosexual relationships form the basis of the plot.

Whatever the cause, it is unfortunately going to be passed over by readers who might actually enjoy it as openly as I did.

It's contemporary. It intelligently connects to the audience through relatable
Redfox5
Jan 23, 2011 Redfox5 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
I found most of this book dull. I thought Mark was a jerk. His and Catherines relationship seemed like it was crap anyways. I hate it when people date people from the same family. I just think it's wrong. I wouldn't want to be with someone who had been with my sister first. There is not really all that much talking to the dead going on. I didn't understand why Catherine was pushing Mark towards Tess. Surely it wouldn't matter who he ended up with since Catherine was the one he always crossed ...more
Igor
Jul 25, 2012 Igor rated it really liked it
Knigava e prevedena so naslov EFEKAT LEPTIRA,sto asocira vednas na filmot The Butterfly Effect,poradi sto jas i ja kupiv knigava. Ima slicnosti so filmov,no ne e isto se,za drugo se raboti,dali bila inspiracija knigata za filmot,ne sum proveril. Kako i da e,interesna e knigava,ima od se po nesto,a se spomnuva sekako i teorijata na haosot,zatoa sto se toa e povrzano. Znaci ima ljubov,nauka,religija,naucna fantastika... Da bide sovrsena knigava,trebalo avtorot da e masko (da ne me razbere nekoj ...more
Zoe
Jan 17, 2016 Zoe rated it liked it
I wanted this to be a super-feel good albeit super-emotional insight into life after death and the idea that our loved ones never leave us. To an extent, that was the case - but I found myself bored of the daily escapades of Mark Buckle.

This book seemed to focus on his career as a teacher, his odd relationship with his three friends Felix, Alison and Tess - and we actually heard very little about the death of his girlfriend and her "visits" to him - which was what I wanted and expecting.

Despit
Nicki
Jan 25, 2015 Nicki added it
Shelves: gave-up
Seriously I think something is wrong with me at the moment. Every book I pick up I think is great for two chapters .And then I DNF them because they are dull.
This was good to start and then I just couldn't read another school staff room conversation. Maybe it would have improved if I was more patient....
Ruth
Sep 04, 2015 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michele
3.5 stars. It was really funny, a fast summer read, written by a woman but from a man's point of view. The only real problem I had was that I kept expecting it to try to convert me to religion in some way but that never happened. It did lose a little steam after the midway point but the LOL moments made up for that.
Bubblesthefairy
I am disappointed in this book i dont know what i was expecting but i found it really dull. I never start a book and give up on it so i continued hoping that something was going to happen to make it better...... Nope it didnt happen!!! Wouldnt recommend this to anyone unless they want to fall into a deep sleep. Sorry!!!
Phoenix81
This book starts off very intersting, about Catherine's spirit coming back to Mark (her live-in boyfriend) after her death but then, it strated to lose its momentom. there are quite many scenes whereby it's unnecessary, especially the part between Mark and his colleague.
However, this is still an enjoyable book. Jessica Adams's writing is quite good...
Elaine
Mar 21, 2012 Elaine added it
Ive been generous and gave this book 2 stars, boring book with a dull story, I had high hopes for this book and it dissapointed me!
Anita
Sep 25, 2011 Anita rated it did not like it
First book I've read by this author and it will be the last. The first part was ok and then I got so bored and put it down and never picked it up again - so unfinished
Andrée
Jul 04, 2009 Andrée rated it liked it
A really interesting book about a young man and his struggle to cope with the grief of losing a loved one.
Jen
Nov 14, 2012 Jen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In places, it was well-written but the characters were quite weak and the plotline went beyond the fantastic to the irritatingly implausible. I'm definitely not a believer.
Zippy
Feb 01, 2009 Zippy rated it it was ok
It was ok, well written, good characters, and I am not really sure why I didnt like it as much as I probably should have.
Nicky
Oct 10, 2010 Nicky rated it did not like it
Not the best book..in fact it was quite dull..glad i din't buy it..will be passing it on..will give her another go with my next book but not expecting a fanatstic read..
Rozidah
Dec 09, 2012 Rozidah rated it liked it
The book starts off okay but it was too draggy and lost my momentum. I struggled and forced myself to finish the book.
Rach
Rach rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2010
Rebecca Lee
Rebecca Lee rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Mara Kartiwa
Mara Kartiwa rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2007
Debra
Debra rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Fiona
Fiona rated it really liked it
May 04, 2013
Lostinabook
Lostinabook rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2016
Alexandra
Alexandra rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2013
Janelle
Janelle rated it it was ok
Oct 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Vanity and Vexation: A Novel of Pride and Prejudice
  • The Stepmother
  • Getting Personal
  • Late Night Shopping (Annie Valentine, #2)
  • Gigi's Guardian
  • Confessions of a Sociopathic Social Climber: The Katya Livingston Chronicles
  • The Seven Year Itch (Jack & Amy, #3)
  • Learning To Swim
  • A Sweet Obscurity
  • Amy's Honeymoon
  • The Other Mothers' Club
  • A Girl's Guide To Kissing Frogs
  • The Fabulously Fashionable Life of Isabel Bookbinder (Isabel Bookbinder #2)
  • Knit Along with Debbie Macomber: Twenty Wishes
  • An Eligible Bachelor
  • A French Affair
  • Making Minty Malone
  • Smoky Joe's Cafe
Jessica Adams is the astrologer for Vogue magazine in Australia, and B magazine in the UK and the author of Handbag Horoscopes and The New Astrology For Women. She lives between England and Australia, and her novels include Single White E-Mail, Tom, Dick and Debbie Harry and I'm A Believer. She is the co-editor of Girls' Night In, Girls' Night Out - Boys' Night In, and Big Night Out. These have ...more
More about Jessica Adams...