Start by marking “From Above” as Want to Read:
From Above

From Above

Far in the future, the Earth is surrounded by a half-mile thick layer of space junk, some of it trash, some of it giant advertising billboards, some of it space-winni vacationers. But Priest, a sexist narcotics detective for The Authority is more interested in the terrorist group whose strange new weapon took a pot shot at his city and atomized everything inside its target ...more
Published (first published July 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about From Above, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Above

Melki
Aug 17, 2014 Melki rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
When my arm came off, I knew something wasn't right.

One day, someone or SOMETHING punched a hole in the Earth, taking three wanted criminals and Priest's arm in the process. But, that didn't piss him off nearly as much as the fact that his perfectly good Tac-suit was now ruined.

One year later, Priest is on the scene when it happens again.

This time, millions die.

Priest, an old-school detective, is something of a sexist, but he'll have to swallow his pride and take orders from his new female partn
Lyndon
Mar 09, 2016 Lyndon rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, ebook
Short story, a sci-fi far-future noir. Quick read, snarky dark humor, nicely developed world setting for so short a piece. First time I've read Robinson, may pick up a novel some day as he writes thriller adventures with sci-fi tech elements in a fast-paced irreverent style.
J Dale Breedlove
Sep 02, 2012 J Dale Breedlove rated it really liked it
Quick read, nice story. I'd like to see more of the characters, hopefully in a full length novel.
Jordan Anderson
Jan 27, 2016 Jordan Anderson rated it really liked it
The book starts with the main character's arm getting blown off (well, more like vaporized) and never really stops.

Though ridiculously short (it only took me something like 20 minutes to read through), From Above is typical Robinson fare, which means good writing, snappy dialogue, and quick pacing. The sci-fi noir elements were a nice touch and are something Robinson expanded on to a more full length and fleshed out novel in XOM-B.

My only complaint, aside from the minuscule length, was a pretty
Randall Christopher
Apr 20, 2014 Randall Christopher rated it liked it
I liked the characters, but they weren't entirely developed due to the shortness of the story. I read it entirely in one sitting while travelling, and it was a good time-filler. I didn't find myself in that much suspense, but it was easy to follow. My favorite part was learning the story about the Moon people and their leader. That was an interesting back story and that intrigued me as well. I found myself yearning for more from that storyline. The plot was pretty good, and even though the writi ...more
Jim
Jan 24, 2012 Jim rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi, read-2012
This "novella" is little more than an expanded short story. In truth, the author states the same at the beginning. More than half the length is devoted to samples of two other works and a plea to help with his advertising.

When I was younger I read quite a bit of SciFi and I would characterize this as Space Opera. The author calls it SciFi Noir. I think both are accurate descriptions. My lower rating is due the excess extraneous material and to the deficiencies of the story itself. Even for a sho
Chad
Feb 04, 2012 Chad rated it liked it
This was a very short story, but was a decent enough story. It follows a stereotypical gruff cop as he tries to figure out what caused a hole to be bored into the earth, destroying his arm and more importantly his suit. he pairs up with his partner and a hacker kid to end the threat. I saw another review refer to this as noir, and I would agree. It was overall a quick fun read, but not exceptional...
Ashley
Jan 31, 2012 Ashley rated it it was ok
A really quick read that the author describes as science fiction noir (which is pretty accurate). The story line never really gets the chance to develop, but the writing is entertaining and a first person narrative gives us some insight into the main character. Just a short and slightly stunted peek into a much larger story line that I hope we will someday get to explore.
Beth
Jan 18, 2012 Beth rated it liked it
I can totally see this happening, an atmosphere of junk circling the Earth and those who escaped to live on the Moon looking down on those still on Earth... I'd place bets the Moonies were the core polluters!
Trevor
May 01, 2015 Trevor rated it liked it
Good quick read, this is one of Jeremy Robinson's first books and the story is a quick ScFi adventure. It is short, but manages to pack in a lot and gives a good introduction to the writing style, in his other books.
Kelly
Nov 13, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this, the first person narrative was different and the characters were entertaining. It's a quick read but fun.
Dee Haddrill
Apr 30, 2014 Dee Haddrill rated it really liked it
Just a short story that only takes about ten minutes to read, but enjoyable for what it is. Fast and fun
Nick
Feb 09, 2014 Nick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad story but nothing exciting or or interesting. Just kinda goes through events step by step.
Kenny Irick
Jun 07, 2012 Kenny Irick rated it really liked it
A fun read!
Sarah Wilson
Dec 04, 2013 Sarah Wilson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Super short. Character development was a bit extreme, but it amused me and he basically said he wrote it in a whim.
Cathy
Feb 09, 2013 Cathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Cops in the future. Good story and nicely put together.
Fermentum
Oct 23, 2015 Fermentum rated it it was ok
I usually like Robinson, this was sci-fi noir. Too snarky.
Carolyn Walkden
Feb 09, 2015 Carolyn Walkden rated it liked it
Well, that was fun!!! Very 'comic book' and not necessarily my preferred genre. A well thought out look into (hopefully) the distant future. Worth a read!
Hildegart
Mar 11, 2014 Hildegart rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
I much prefer the two full-length novels I've read by him. That said, this was still a good story, just not my type.
Terry Parrish
Mar 24, 2015 Terry Parrish rated it it was amazing
Short, but what a story. Wish it had been a full novel. And loved Gawyn. Wow, so smart for a little girl. Sure could make a computer sing. Well worth the read, though.
Shawn Hopkins
May 30, 2012 Shawn Hopkins rated it really liked it
A quick and entertaining sci-fi adventure read.

My content rating:
language and violence
Darren
Dec 28, 2016 Darren rated it really liked it
A quick read. I liked the characters and wouldn't mind reading about them again. Good story.
Paivi Lindqvist
Paivi Lindqvist rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2014
Jimmy Byrne
Jimmy Byrne rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2013
Wes
Wes rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Edward Cadle
Edward Cadle rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2014
suyson
suyson rated it it was ok
Oct 21, 2016
Jeremy Schneider
Jeremy Schneider rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Matt Stolhand
Matt Stolhand rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2014
David McMullan
David McMullan rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Lock & Load (Ryan Lock, #4.5)
  • Body Bags (Body of Evidence, #1)
  • The Stars in Shroud
  • On My Way to Paradise
  • Black (Black, #1)
  • High-Opp
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • Nevermore -  Novel of Love, Loss, & Edgar Allan Poe
  • First Drop (Charlie Fox Thriller, #4)
  • London Macabre
  • Sin (Sinclair O'Malley Series)
  • Blindspots
  • In Hero Years... I'm Dead
  • The Omega Connection (Tracie Tanner #3)
  • Game of Drones (OUTCAST Ops #1)
  • Hunger (Hunger #1)
  • Refuge: Night of the Blood Sky
  • May Contain Spies (Meet Abby Banks #1)
Jeremy Robinson (aka Jeremy Bishop and Jeremiah Knight) was born in the sometimes mysterious seacoast town of Beverly, Massachusetts. From a young age his father fostered a love for Science Fiction and all things monstrous. He grew up on thick doses of Superman, Batman, X-men, Dr. Who, Battlestar Galactica, Star Wars, Star Trek and Godzilla—creative fuel for the future.

He began his creative career
More about Jeremy Robinson...