Start by marking “Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)” as Want to Read:
Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)

Defiant (Kris Longknife #3)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,466 ratings  ·  52 reviews
As part of an agenda to oust her father from his political position, Kris Longknife is relieved of command. But when an alien enemy launches an invasion, she defies both government and military authority to lead a rag-tag fleet against the threat.
Published October 25th 2005 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Defiant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiant

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardStarship Troopers by Robert A. HeinleinOld Man's War by John ScalziThe Forever War by Joe HaldemanOn Basilisk Station by David Weber
Military Science Fiction
94th out of 566 books — 790 voters
Best Military Science Fiction Books
202nd out of 397 books — 501 voters

More lists with this book...

Dee
Douglas Owen
Mike Shepherd uses a very easy narrative style that makes the reading of his novels relatively pain free.

In his Kris Longknife series, Mike writes about the marine, and now princess, Kris Longknife. Yes, this is a space opera. No, there is no knight is shining armor. Yes, she has technology others cannot afford. No, she is not the image of beauty incarnate. Yes, it is cliché ridden, but readable.

Spoiler Alert – If you desire to read this book *** please stop here. The remainder contains plot inf
Jean Poulos
This is book three in the Longknife series. In this episode Kris faces the imminent threat to her planet. Kris is accused of stealing funds that were to go to farmers, while on leave awaiting a hearing, her great grandfather King Al sends her to see an old friend of his dying on a different plant. She returns to Wardhaven as an invasion is pending. She skirts the law and organizes a flotilla to defend Wardhaven against a force of hostile warships.

In this book we see Kris develop her command skil
Unwisely
Now, I really, really like this series. After getting the first one from the library, I couldn't wait for the second book to show up and went out and bought the rest from the library. I have re-read the entire series several times since. They're wonderful books, military SF with a strong female protagonist. The action moves along so snappily that I get pulled in enough not to mind the fact that the plots are a little silly. So bear in mind that any criticism is expressed because I love.

Now, this
James
This was more of a mix bag from Shepherd. Coming into this off of the back of two great predecessors I was expecting more of the same great stuff, and I suppose that is was I got in some respects. In others, not so much.

That's not to say that it is a bad book. Not by a long shot. Just that in contrast to the previous two it left a lot to be a desired. Few things that bugged me;
(view spoiler)
Kathy
Mike Shepherd Brings Back his A-Game!,

I recommend you read the previous books in the series (Mutineer and Deserter) prior to reading this installment.

To be honest, I had a hard time getting into this story. This installment didn't start to grab me until about page 160. Several times, prior to page 160, I put this book down, only to pick it up a moment later and convince myself that I should keep going, that the story is going to get better; and it did. I'm glad I stuck it out because the story
Dharma Kurlind
Courtesy of Lost Art Audiobook Review

How many of them can we make die?
At the start of Defiant, I was expecting Down Periscope. Instead of giving Kris a real command, the Navy makes her commander of an experimental ship full of misfits no one else wants. I thought it was going to be funny and cheeky, just like the movie, except in space. That expectation was quickly squashed when Kris is arrested. The way Mike Shepherd described that arrest is worth a secon
John
Two exploits: Kris is sent to a planet with a culture modeled on Hawaii's to cement relations with Wardhaven, and becomes involved in a hostage rescue, and then gets to command the defense of her home planet against a fleet of battleships sent by a rival empire. Well above average in depicting both military preparations and battle choreography. Also a streak of easy humor (rare in military SF) and credible physics. With minor exceptions the bad guys and rival politicians are cardboard characters ...more
Andreas
In Defiant, Kris must face an imminent threat to her planet. Betrayed by incompetent politicians, she skirts the law to organize the archetypal rag-tag flotilla in defense of Wardhaven as a massive force of hostile warships approaches.

Defiant is a further improvement over the first two books. From the viewpoint of Defiant the first two books, while perfectly capable of standing on their own, seem almost like a prologue. Kris comes into her own as she finally commands a large force. Themes of des
T J
Kris Longknife is on another adventure, this time Grandpa has sent her to island paradise where his old friend lies dying and her planet is deciding who they want to aline with. That is only the beginning of Kris's mission. Another great read and looking forward to what Kris will do next.
Mitchell
Book 3 in the Kris Longknife series. The author, talking at Orycon, indicated this was his favorite of the Kris Longknife books. I've only read one other, Daring - book 9, and decided to try this one next. Its kind of a On Basilisk Station knockoff, with Kris Longknife (a massive Mary Sue) as an obvious Honor Harrington stand-in. She's both a military genius, great personal charisma, of one of the richest families in the galaxy, and her family runs the government. And she's 6 feet tall. But yeah ...more
Coan
Alethea
I haven’t had this much fun in space opera since the first time I read the Miles Vorkosigan books. Shepherd’s time in the navy shows in a certain edgy authenticity that rescues this book from the depths of Mary-Sue-dom to which the character might be destined…she is, after all, fabulously wealthy, gifted, and, from the second book, a princess (complete with, in one case, fur bikini. The sense of humor in these books is another saving grace.) So far, while adhering to one basic plot structure, va ...more
Rachel
The two different parts of the book seem completely unrelated, which makes this one a bit harder to get through. I thought the first half was great because it really developed the some of the characters, and I also really like Kris and Jack's interactions with each other, their banter. As for the other storyline, I honestly had to force myself to finish it. I understand Shepherd wanted to make it realistic, make us experience what Kris and her crew had to go through to make everything work, but ...more
Christine Hayes
The best so far. There lots intrigue, backstabbing and action. Also Kris loses a friend. Can't wait to start on "Resolute"
Nicole
Dang, I cannot put these books down. Great space drama and story lines. You really get to care about the characters.
Fietspomp
Liked it 7
Harrington >~ Vorkosigan >~ Longknife >~ Elizabeth Moon
Karen
This book is fairly well written and there are pieces of it that I enjoyed, but I found the first half with the "pacific islander" theme a bit too trite and the second half about defending the home world too over-the-top and unrealistic. I respected the fact that the book didn't pull punches at the end but overall it just didn't sit comfortably with me. I don't like the fact that everything Kris does has to be so extreme and the odds so stacked against her. She's turning into a super hero instea ...more
Andrew
This series is getting better and better.
B.E.
Fast becoming my favorite SF series (after Stardoc, of course). Shepherd does such an excellent job of writing a kick ass heroine. Kris Longknife rocks. Her crew rocks. They kick stellar ass. And I could kick Mr. Shepherd in the shins for what he did at the end of this one. Seriously, sir, how could you? Plus, you made me cry dammit.

I'm totally anti-spoiler, so if you want to know what I'm talking about, you'll have to read the book. Now I have to go add the next few books to my wishlist...
Doc
Slow at the beginning, and then it dedicates a lot of ink to preparing for the climactic battle.
I enjoyed the battle, but parts of it rang a little untrue. The crews, for example, kept cheering at one thing or another when I think that the military people, at least, would have remained professional. They also sang along periodically with a none-too-poetic, jingoistic march they were playing over the battle net.
Still, I enjoyed it enough that I am planning on reading the next book in the series.
Per Gunnar
A huge improvement compared to the last book. In this one she's actually allowed to be a marine and there's finally some fleet action.

There was the usual political bullshit which still detracts quite a lot from the enjoyment. For instance, a fleet is on it's way to turn the planet to rubble and these idiots still argue about petty political advantages?

Anyway, I certainly hope the book series continue in this direction with less politics and more actual marine and fleet content.
BobA707
I think I've sussed these Longknife books. To enjoy them
1) turn off brain (or all the plot holes just ruin it)
2) try not to hate Kris too much and keep hoping that the enemy might get her (they won't - she's far too perfect for that)
3) Treat her computer with the respect that it shouldn't be given
Then it becomes quite enjoyable. 4 stars is a bit flattering, but the second half of the book builds to a very good climax (but in particular note point 1 above).
Scott Stillman
From being relegated to an endemic command, to being arrested by corrupt politicians, to naked hula dancing, and an against all odds space battles, Kris Longknife is put through the ringer. Mike Shepherd put it together with out a hitch. There were logical transitions from Princess Kris, political Naked hula dancing to commanding a rag tag last ditch fight to safe the planet.

This was a great book.
Eero
Aug 16, 2012 Eero rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
Same goodness as first one and without Romeo & Julie subplot from second book.

This time Kris free hostages from terrorist and fight against superior battle ships using only couple old military battle ships, battle boats and some civilian ships. So book has losts of space battle goodness and good space battle strategy planning.
Nathan
This is the best book of the series so far. The author is really starting to fit into the groove of the 'rules' of his technology and explore what it means and what the downstream effects are. At this point the series can be called 'mature' and I know that I can expect good things to continue as the series evolves.
Sho
Sep 12, 2011 Sho rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sci-fi
The third which really hooked me into the sereis. I think this is where Kris starts to figure out a lot about herself as the leader and what leader has to sacrifice. I was really sad at the end but that storyline made the series more believable. This book made me buy the left of the series that is out!
Bluto87
I've enjoyed all the books. They aren't great literature just like a Big Mac isn't a gourmet meal but it sure tastes good and is satisfying. The military doctrine and tactics, the technology, and witty dialogue meld nicely in this series.
  • Valor's Trial (Confederation, #4)
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • Command Decision (Vatta's War, #4)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • Lt. Leary, Commanding (Lt. Leary, #2)
  • Valor At Vauzlee (A Galaxy Unknown #2)
A pseudonym used by Mike Moscoe.

Mike was born in the Philadelphia Navy Yard Hospital -- and left that town at the age of three days for reasons he does not presently recall. But they had to draft him to get him back there. He missed very little of the rest of the country. Growing up Navy, he lived about everywhere you could park an aircraft carrier.

Mike was one of those college students who didn'
More about Mike Shepherd...

Kris Longknife (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Defender (Kris Longknife, #11)
Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1) Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5) Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2) Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6) Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)