Start by marking “Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)” as Want to Read:
Resolute (Kris Longknife, #4)

Resolute (Kris Longknife #4)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  2,463 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Kris Longknife has been given her first independent command in the very remote system of Chance, an assignment that's as much exile as promotion.But Kris isn't on the job long when she captures pirates hiding the location of an uncharted and unpopulated planet of miraculous technology.
Published October 31st 2006 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Resolute, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Resolute

Jacob Proffitt
Jan 09, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
As you can see from all the stars, this is up to the quality I'm coming to expect from the series. Yay! The plots are good, the action fantastic, the space battles gripping. Shepherd continues to give Kris believably great challenges and leadership opportunities to overcome them.

The book is in the middle of the pack in that very-narrow four-star range compared to the others. There is a bit of a divergent twist that doesn't seem to hang too well together with the rest of the story (like in the pr
James
Jul 17, 2011 James rated it liked it
sorry, I never meant for this to be so long. They usually aren't - ignore at your pleasure

This being the second book in a row that I have rated a three in this series I think I have finally come across the main problem that I have for this series; the author tends to have a section of the book, normally at the beginning, where he can do whatever his fancy takes him. Now, of course, this is what we want from authors isn't it? A bit of creativity? No. Not in this case. In the last book Shepherd to
Dee
Feb 03, 2014 Dee rated it really liked it
I just vacillated wildly about whether to go 4 or 5 stars on this one. I really enjoyed the action and pacing but it seemed to me like Hank, previously in the semi-bad, poor little rich boy character made a maddened wild swing into crazyville with a detour down evil - nothing I read previously indicated to me that Hank would be fine with rape and pillage - even Hikila was supposedly "freedom fighting" so how did good old misguided Hank become a monster? Also where the hell did Vicky come from, t ...more
Kathy
Apr 13, 2012 Kathy rated it it was ok
OK....But Nothing to Write Home About (Really a 2.5 Rating),

I recommend you read the previous books in the series (Mutineer, Deserter and Defiant) prior to reading this installment.

This installment did not grab my attention until about page 94; however, from thereafter, the story took a change for the better. The author successfully entwined a great feel of adventure with the hidden secrets of the unknown. I can't say the story was on par with me not being able to put it down; but I did manage
Serena
Jul 13, 2011 Serena rated it it was ok
I really felt a struggle reading this book, because again there was the split adventures - but this time as I knew they would be they were linked at the end. Going through the motions on "Chance " with the politics and parties felt forced and unnatural. I guess I just don't like that kind of "party " when you know they'll clash at the end -it felt boring, not tense. Of course it hints to a sister we never knew Hank had - who will probably be after Kris...I have the next three books in this serie ...more
Katrin von Martin
Jun 19, 2015 Katrin von Martin rated it it was amazing
Russ Holthaus
Feb 14, 2017 Russ Holthaus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mystery with shock and awe

Enjoyable fourth read in a space opera set in expanding universe involving two families on the brink of destruction. I am ever intrigued and forward I go. Fun and exciting thanks Mike Sheppard a grand experience.
Mary
Oct 05, 2016 Mary rated it really liked it
Reread Sept 2016
Key
Jun 24, 2015 Key rated it liked it
Dies ist nur ein Auszug aus der gesamten Rezi: Gast Rezi bei Dark Stars Fantasy News

Fazit:

Es kommt leider alles ziemlich gelackt daher. Das Prinzesschen ist Billionärin, hat eine mysteriöse Kammerzofe mit fragwürdigen Informanten, einen gut aussehenden Sidekick (Jack) und wenn sie gar nicht weiter kommt, die Prinzessinen-Karte zur Hand. Der Planet und der Sektor um den sie sich kümmern soll schließt sie gleich ins Herz, weil man ja sofort merkt, dass das Mädel mit anpacken kann und gar nicht so
Jean Poulos
This is book four in the Longknife series. In this book Kris Longknife is ordered to take command of a backward naval base in orbit around an independent planet on the frontier. She is responsible for the defense in this out of the way naval district. When replacing buoy’s Kris captures a pirate ship. Kris has to get help by rounding up a rag tag fleet of ships to fight off a Greenfeld’s four ships led by Hank Peterwald. She also must deal with the distrust of the planet inhabitants. I am fascin ...more
Michael
Mar 01, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
This is the 4th book in the Kris Longknife series by Mike Shepherd. Despite still being a lowly lieutenant, Kris has finally been given her own command, of the space station High Chance, which orbits the rim world of Chance. It's too good to be true, actually, as it's clearly intended to be an assignment-cum-exile, for High Chance is something of a backwater station, whose previous crew completely abandons it before Kris arrives. She is determined to do the best job that she can. As usual troubl ...more
Andreas
Oct 20, 2011 Andreas rated it liked it
In Resolute, Kris is put in charge of an out of the way naval district assignment on the frontier. In a sub-plot, she finds ancient alien ruins. But the real action is a “fleet visit” from the Greenfeld navy commanded by her old nemesis Hank Smythe Peterwald. In short, the Greenfeld fleet is trying to engender a crisis on the planet as an pretext to take over.

While not quite as good as Defiant, Resolute continues the development of Kris and her cohorts as characters. One wonders where it is all
Allan Caplan
Sep 02, 2011 Allan Caplan rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This is definitely my least favorite of the Kris Longknife series so far. It started with great potential, as the previous books have. Wardhaven is safe, thanks to Kris, but she stepped on some toes so they send her somewhere "safe".

"Safe" isn't a word known to "Those Damn Longknifes"

This is where the book really slows down. So, Kris is all safe and secure on her station and takes a little trip. No spoilers, but it was a relatively boring trip.

Then later, her old friend Hank is heading towards t
Carolyn
Oh, I liked this one! The set-up of the situation on Last Chance, and how it was handled was very enjoyable. The book's summary is incorrect, however. The real issue in this book was the arrival of a fleet from Greenfeld for a 'visit', but with a planned script for taking over the planet and annexing it into the Greefeld confederation. How Kris & Co and the planet's people stymie that makes for a good story.

Nitpick: However, editing issues abound - there seemed to be a real shortage of quest
Eero
Aug 17, 2012 Eero rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Now Kris is commanded to take commanders role of backwards naval base in orbit of independent planet. She much fight againts distruss of planet habitats, find pirates who do nasty things on sector and when doing so her computer found anomality from space which Kris and her crew discover to be old warp point, which they decide to investigate it which leads them to discover to alien planets of three lost alien civilizations. And when Kris and her crew is coming back from their exploring they found ...more
Sho
Sep 12, 2011 Sho rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Hmmm didn't think Hank to be THAT stupid and without honor. Seemed like a different man from the second book. ON the other side, the captains including her ever present security guard Jack are very attractive men who Kris just cannot have... I just don't see any romance for Kris in the future..LOL I suppose that is the one big difference between the other books I read. In those books the women win the war as well as get the man. Well at least she won another battle making her another ledgend!
Tim
Jul 17, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The fourth book in the series pretty much follows the formula of the previous three: Kris gets posted to a remote outpost with just a skeleton crew (her bodyguard Jack, recently widowed Penny, Com Chief Beni and her mysterious maid, Abby) They are barely settled in when six warships from the rival Greenfeld arrive....

Of course there's lasers and spaceships and all the blowing stuff up that we've come to expect from "those damn Longknives"
T J
Sep 01, 2014 T J rated it really liked it
This time Kris Longknife is shipped out to the rim and little known planet of Chance. She also has a little project of her own and can't wait to see what it brings her. Unfortunately her first chore is to fix-up and space station and her first command of it. Love how Mike Shepherd writes these high adventures and characters I would love to meet.
ThomyZ
May 06, 2016 ThomyZ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was better than Deserter, but not as good as Defiant, the plot was very slow in the first two thirds and there was to much talking. I don't mind talking, but this dialogue just drudged on forever. The last act once again had some great action, and things are finally set to move in an interesting direction.
Nathan
Aug 15, 2011 Nathan rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, reviewed-2011
Kris Longknife is beginning to learn discretion... or seems to be. She's a lot less trigger happy (for good reason) than she has been in previous books, and despite attempting to avoid bloodshed...

Well, it's an action book. There's a lot of development of metaplot in this book and I look forward to see how the universe's politics develop based on some of the developments in the story.
Sandra
Oct 16, 2013 Sandra rated it it was ok
I am finding with this series that I really like parts of them and find myself very bored and skimming pages for other sections. I am also REALLY sick of the "one of those damn Longknifes" riff which EVERY book harps on to a ridiculous degree - we get it!!! Kris's family is often involved in dramatic game changing events.
Randy Mccallum
Apr 08, 2014 Randy Mccallum rated it liked it
Another in the continuing saga of Kris Longknife, Navy Lieutenant and Princess of the Blood. A fun, quick read with interesting characters. Although the author sometimes has trouble painting a good picture of what is going on, the action and story keeps the reader interested and the characters are well developed.
Karen
Feb 02, 2011 Karen rated it liked it
The typical Kris Longknife formula of long odds and over-the-top heroics continues in this 4th novel of the series. I did find it refreshing to see Kris making mistakes because of her past experiences. I would have liked the book better if it had ended before the final set of events as that would have been far less formulaic book.
Scott Stillman
Nov 22, 2011 Scott Stillman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kris Longknife is banished to an out of the way, run down, command, to get her out of the way, and has to fight against superior odds, again... The story is the same with different characters, but is is a well written story, that kept me entertained so much I couldn't put it down.

I enjoyed this one. It kept moving, and setup the story line for the future of the series.
Rachel
May 28, 2013 Rachel rated it really liked it
This was definitely more engaging than the last book, I had a hard time putting it down. However, maybe it was just the printing I was reading, but there were a lot of little spelling and grammatical errors. "You're" instead of "your," "boy's" instead of "boys." Little things that added up and got very annoying. Other than that, a fun read.
Dana
Jan 05, 2010 Dana rated it really liked it
This isn't brilliant literature but it is wonderful escapism about a young woman Naval officer (space Navy) who is extremely resourceful and a great leader. I give it 4 stars purely for the enjoyment factor.
Kalyn
Apr 12, 2008 Kalyn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I should probably rate which of these books I enjoyed in what order, or which I prefer, but they're all fun. I'd say airplane books for some, but not for me. These are good couch books for me. Purse books. Whatever.
Lushr
Dec 02, 2016 Lushr rated it really liked it
Yet another romp in the long knife series. I have no signs of slowing down yet!
Andrew
Feb 17, 2015 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-sci-fi
This is a very interesting series, the books just keep getting better and more complex. This is a big turning point of the series in that it sees problems that have been adding up come to the front. It was worth the read and i would tell anyone wanting a good story to read these...they are great.
Jay Hendricks
Jan 12, 2008 Jay Hendricks rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
In my mind, this is the prime of the series. Things are just fantastic and all the right things happen in this book producing a whopping good read. Fourth book in the series with at least two more after it.
  • An Officer's Duty (Theirs Not to Reason Why, #2)
  • The Truth of Valor (Confederation, #5)
  • Marque and Reprisal (Vatta's War, #2)
  • They Also Serve (Jump Universe, #3)
  • Valor at Vauzlee (A Galaxy Unknown #2)
  • Vigilante (Major Ariane Kedros, #2)
  • In Enemy Hands (Honor Harrington, #7)
  • Some Golden Harbor (Lt. Leary, #5)
A pseudonym used by Mike Moscoe.

Mike was born in the Philadelphia Navy Yard Hospital -- and left that town at the age of three days for reasons he does not presently recall. But they had to draft him to get him back there. He missed very little of the rest of the country. Growing up Navy, he lived about everywhere you could park an aircraft carrier.

Mike was one of those college students who didn'
More about Mike Shepherd...

Kris Longknife (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Mutineer (Kris Longknife, #1)
  • Deserter (Kris Longknife, #2)
  • Defiant (Kris Longknife, #3)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • Intrepid (Kris Longknife, #6)
  • Undaunted (Kris Longknife, #7)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • Daring (Kris Longknife, #9)
  • Furious (Kris Longknife, #10)
  • Defender (Kris Longknife, #11)