Bully!: The Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt: Illustrated with More Than 250 Vintage Political Cartoons

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Bully!

One of America’s most beloved presidents comes to life in this comprehensive, unique biography illustrated by more than 250 period cartoons.

Theodore Roosevelt, adored for everything from his much-caricatured teeth and glasses to his almost childlike exuberance and boundless energy, as well as his astounding achievements, captivated Americans of his day—and the cartoo...more
Published October 31st 2011 by Regnery History

Nick
The author is pretty clearly a TR-worshiper, and shows some bias in a few other areas, but this book does a fantastic job of communicating just how powerful a force TR was. Also remarkable is how much the political world TR inhabited resembles our own today. Ultimately I was left wishing that we could find our own TR, who could straddle the conservative/progressive divide rationally and effortlessly, and use the force of his personality to bring the two bickering sides together, whether they lik...more
Krystal
Excellent biography of Roosevelt drawing on political cartoons of his era to illustrate his story and also the story of his America. Marschall clearly knows his artists and presents an accurate picture of Roosevelt and the cartoonists who captured him throughout his political career. An excellent addition to the Roosevelt biographies.
Scott Klemm
Bully! The Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt by Rick Marschall seemed tailor-made for me. It combined my interest in the man with a long time interest in editorial cartooning and political satire. The book contains more than 250 vintage political cartoons. I only wish that the cartoons had been larger so that one could read the names and labels so frequently used in these early cartoons without a magnifying glass.

Marschall is an unabashed fan of T.R. (as I am too), but sometimes he seemed pro...more
Amy
I realize that the umph that made this book something more than all the rest of the biographies about Teddy Roosevelt are all of the vintage political cartoons that are included, and while these were interesting in and of themselves, I don't know that they enriched the history that much.

I loved reading about TR! I always learn something new as I read more about this interesting man. I think the main deterrent for me is that the majority of the cartoons were not included within the topic that the...more
Charles
This could have been a great book, the concept and wealth of great political cartoons from the era provide a wonderful starting point. However the authors political leanings continually creeping into the narrative started to get a little tiresome. Nods to the Tea party and even a shout out to Reagan among the predictable clichés of the modern right only serve to make this new book seem dated.
I was not surprised at all when I finished this book to find that Regnery (the parent publisher of the...more
Jennie
When I ran across this book during a Half Price Books trip, I immediately knew I had to buy it. I was months from reaching TR in the Presidential Challenge, but I've learned to buy these biographies ahead of time when they're on sale or look interesting.

The unique addition of political cartoons from the time made this biography a must buy, and in that aspect I wasn't disappointed at all. The pages are thick, so the cartoons are beautifully presented and fascinating. Each chapter of text included...more
Dale
Easily the best biography I read in 2011.

Published in 2011 by Regnery History.

Bully! The Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt is exactly the kind of book that will ensure that printed books will always have a place, no matter how many e-readers are sold. This is an absolutely beautiful book. It has a satisfying heft, it is printed on high quality paper (think coffee table book quality) and is chock full of political cartoons from an era when many political cartoons would have been full color and...more
Laura Cushing
Teddy Roosevelt is one of my historical heroes.

Not just for his presidency, but for his expeditions, his dedication to his family and friends, and just his general bad-assery.

Who else could get shot and continue his speech before going to the hospital, build a boat just to catch the people who stole his boat, win a Nobel Peace Prize, be in the Army and the Navy at the same time--- the list goes on.

He lid a very full and interesting life, full of adventure. He changed the United States and the...more
Ver2car
I really liked this book. TR was a great man and one of the top presidents we have ever had. He was a moral man. His desire was to govern fairly for all men. Teddy where are you now? We need a leader like you to pull us out of the mess in which we find ourselves.

Politics was not his only interest. He had a full life and pursued many other interests.

I did not read this quickly but read at it for several months. It was worth the effort. I am glad I finished it.
Bill Powers
Even though I've read a lot about TR, I still can't get enough. Sad, we don't have leaders like TR in this country anymore. We desperately need one! Up next on my "to read" list - Doris Kearns Goodwin's "The Bully Pulpit: Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the Golden Age of Journalism"
Larry Van bibber
It was a fun read not to be compared with the 3 Morris boooks. But the cartoons made it an interesting addendum to the more detailed biographies. There was one quote on page 365 worth remembering. It was a quote from the last speech that he had written before his death on Jan.6,1919.
Amanda
An excellent account of the life of Theodore Roosevelt combined with many images and political cartoons that only add to the enjoyment of this biography. A must-read for any admirer of TR or anyone wanting to learn more about this "Most Interesting American."

HBalikov
An enjoyable read with well-chosen political cartoons. Not just a picture book; the cartoons illustrate a lot of scholarship. I just don't know enough to determine how historically accurate this book is.
Bruce
Good, multi-dimensional work. The writing is good as is the story telling. The only failing is adequate explanation of some of the culture shifts that render some of the cartoon unintelligible.
Tara
Very entertaining. I loved reading about Theodore Roosevelt. I learned a lot.
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Greg
Greg is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Kennedy
Kennedy marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Cate.g
Cate.g added it
Apr 03, 2014
Dee
Dee added it
Oct 01, 2013
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2013
Jeroen Berndsen
Jeroen Berndsen marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2013
Lisa Niswonger
Lisa Niswonger marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Kevin
Kevin added it
Aug 14, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Johann Sebastian Bach Drawing Power: A Compendium of Cartoon Advertising The Complete Dickie Dare Bully!: The Life and Times of Theodore Roosevelt The Secret Revealed: Exposing the Truth About the Law of Attraction