Start by marking “The Black Stallion Legend (The Black Stallion, #19)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion Legend (The Black Stallion, #19)

The Black Stallion Legend (The Black Stallion #19)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,365 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
The black stallion helps save an Indian tribe during a time of disaster, thereby fulfilling an ancient prophecy.
Published September 12th 1983 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1983)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonCursed is the Road to the American Dream by Jack DeadmenThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerSkateboy by Kevin KlixThe Catcher in the Rye Enigma by James Morcan
Catcher's In The Rye
17th out of 36 books — 5 voters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon1984 by George OrwellA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessAnimal Farm by George OrwellThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Best books about Messed Up People
62nd out of 64 books — 22 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
Sep 07, 2012 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a book in a series about a horse, this is lousy. As a father's meditation on what the world looks like after he's lost his daughter, this is powerful. The story, as story, isn't much- it's implausible and goofy and nonsensical in the extreme. But the central theme, how to go on living after the death of someone deeply beloved, redeems this in my eyes, at least. This last of the Black Stallion books has no races, no Henry to speak of, but most of all, it has Pam's ghost in every word. I can't ...more
Anne
Sep 05, 2012 Anne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Jesse Haubert
This book was great and vary underrated. (view spoiler) ...more
Adaline Griffiths
Jessica Timmons
Oct 22, 2011 Jessica Timmons rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't care for cliffhangers, which is what happened in the end of this book. However other then that I truly enjoy reading the final fully written book of Walter Farley. The end of the world concept was just as strong back then as it is today. Walter Farley's writing will truly be missed.
SnowJackal
Anna
Jul 31, 2011 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
WEIRD!!!!!!!!! In the beginning, after heaaring about Pam's death, Alec goes into a weird, state. Almost like he was asleep. He loads the Black into a trailer with hay, bedding, etc. and gets into a truck without even knowing it, regaines "conciousness" at the steering wheel, and drives away without even knowing he has a trailer behind him.

He drives, and drives, and drives and ends up in the middle of no whare. He rides the Black away, lets him go and pretends he's a horse thinking that sinc h
Melissa
Anyone growing up in the eighties, nineties, or even before has heard of the Black Stallion. It was such a popular book series that everyone had at least one of the books. This book, The Black Stallion Legend, is actually the last book in the series (there was one written after but it's a prequel) and it was written over forty years after the first book was. Which may account for why it's such a drastic change from the original tone of the series. And while you don't necessarily have to read the ...more
Bea
Well, this was not at all what I expected. It's dark, dystopian, and Alec goes out of his mind, literally. Alec grows up over the course of the series, which I appreciate but things take a dark turn in this book. If you're been reading the series in order, you had some warning, but not a lot; if you're reading out of order, you're taken completely by surprise.

The book combines mysticism, dystopia, mental health issues, sudden death and oh yes, horses. Specifically the Black; we get a glimpse of
Wendy
Nov 21, 2015 Wendy rated it did not like it
This, too, was terrible. (view spoiler), and while that doesn't bother me at all, Alec is crushed. So what do you do when something like that happens?

Well, I don't know what you would do, but I know that I would not pack my horse onto a trailer and drive off without telling anyone and without any clear idea of where I was headed.

Which is what Alec did. Because he's crazy, apparently.

Oh, and then they meet up with Native Americans who, improbably, believe Mighty Whitey is
Dark-Draco
Aug 10, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This has to be the strangest of the Black Stallion books - and so is my favourite! Alec faces a huge personal tragedy and can't cope, so loads up the Black and starts driving. He ends up in the desert, with a vague idea of turning the stallion loose and then letting himself starve to death. Instead, he meets a tribe of secretive Indians, who have a legend that says a man on a black horse will lead them to safety on the day that the world comes to an end.

Ok, the plot line is faintly ridiculous, t
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
There are not words awful enough to describe this book. Clearly Farley had no more heart for writing after the tragic death of his young daughter. This is the last book in The Black Stallion series, though I think he co-wrote a few more with his son, who continued on with "The Young Black Stallion" series. In this book, a grief-stricken Alec takes his horse out to the middle of the southwest (Seriously? From New York to New Mexico nobody notices?) and gets involved with a tribe of Native America ...more
Emily
Aug 17, 2014 Emily rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I loved Walter Farley's books as a kid, but this one takes a turn into the "too weird" category, especially since the dystopian elements don't fit with the tone of the rest of the series.
Hannah Bowen
Feb 27, 2014 Hannah Bowen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am very disappointed with this book. I can't believe this the last book in the Black Stallion series. I am VERY disappointed.
Jennifer Quail
May 17, 2012 Jennifer Quail rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the point where I realized I should stick to reading just the earliest books (up through about "The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt") because after that it just gets increasingly weird. This is the nadir. After this, it couldn't possibly get less plausible or out of this world. It's easier to pretend this has nothing to do with the first few books, which were at least remotely plausible.
Serena
Feb 16, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, adventure

My Rating System:
Rena Sherwood
I used to have a first edition of this, but I wound up giving it away. Pretty lousy book but with some nice prose passages. Walter Farley seemed to have major anger issues against the Black, Alex and the whole world.
Lori
Jul 31, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Jutta
Dec 16, 2014 Jutta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting end to the series. Apocalypse. Always with me, even the horse stories i read as a child... hhhhmmmmm.
Hildegart
May 05, 2012 Hildegart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses
Definitely not my favorite black stallion book. It was weird and just seemed out of character.
Jessica
Mar 08, 2015 Jessica rated it liked it
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Eleisha Luck
Aug 21, 2007 Eleisha Luck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
wasnt a fav. but it was still a good book.
Kaitlyn
Aug 16, 2014 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-favorites
The best of the black stallion series.
Jacqueline
Julia
Julia added it
Apr 28, 2016
Sigyn
Sigyn rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • San Domingo: The Medicine Hat Stallion
  • Call for Courage (Golden Filly, #5)
  • Ashleigh's Diary (Thoroughbred Super Edition)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)