Start by marking “The Financial Peace Planner: A Step-by-Step Guide to Restoring Your Family's Financial Health” as Want to Read:

Get out of debt and stay out with the help of Dave Ramsey, recently seen by millions of Today Show viewers. His practical regimen, first set forth by The Financial Peace Planner, which will be published by Penguin in January 1998. Loaded with inspirational insights that come from personal experience, this set of books is the most valuable purchase a debt-ridden reader can ...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Financial Peace Planner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Financial Peace Planner

Lauren
Jun 30, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone.
This book goes baby step by baby step from your initial budget making to progressing through getting out of debt to what to do with all that cash once you ARE out of debt. Easy to read, with lots of helpful charts and explanations, I really liked this and think it will be extremely helpful to me as my family and I work to get out of debt (a LOT of it - thanks, grad school!). This is the one I'll keep going back to for answers to questions as they arise. And it avoids a lot of the religiosity of ...more
Emma
May 24, 2013 Emma rated it really liked it
Good financial literacy awareness raising.
Tinea
Aug 03, 2009 Tinea rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those trying to swing it on a low income, and those with monstrous college loans
Recommended to Tinea by: Mom
Shelves: various-skills
This is a useful, sensible guide to budgeting, paying off debt, and achieving financial stability (like being able to handle medical emergencies) for people with low-incomes, especially people struggling with loan payments.

I'm going to synthesize Ramsey's advice into my own words below:

1. Create an emergency fund. Open a savings account if you don't have one, and put effort into getting $1000 into it as soon as possible, even if it means cutting back spending, taking on extra work, or selling so
One Iam
Jul 06, 2017 One Iam rated it it was amazing
Great financial advice. It's a workbook that gives you a true picture of where you are financially and shows you how to get to a better place.
Elizabeth
Mar 08, 2017 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This book was very helpful. I highly recommend it to those who truly want to take action and change their life. Ramsey's practical baby steps are easy to follow and understand.
Cam
Sep 03, 2009 Cam added it
Shelves: 2009
Once again, this makes perfect sense. I am really looking forward to our house selling and Kevin building a patient base so we can pay off our debt and start building wealth. I want to make smart financial decisions. This is a great guide for doing that. I definitely want to follow his program and have been wanting to for quite some time now, but since we're finally having some income, hopefully we'll be able to start! I recommend his books, and his radio show, we enjoy listening to him when we' ...more
Melody Rensberger
May 27, 2012 Melody Rensberger rated it liked it
Shelves: book-a-day
My husband and I are on a budget, and he took a class that used much of Dave Ramsey's material, so I wanted to read it for myself. Conclusion: If you're ready to buy into it, read the chapter entitled Baby Steps that is five pages long and you'll be good to go. Actually, you don't even have to do that because I'm attaching a handy-dandy pdf of all seven of them.

That being said, it is a very thorough and helpful program. I think it's better to do with people though-- as a program, and not just re
Izzy
Nov 19, 2011 Izzy rated it liked it
I picked this book because a friend had recommended Ramsey's podcast, and I thought it would be more useful to read his book. (I'm now listening to the podcast too.) I think some of the information in the book is dated, because it was originally written in the 90s. (I think The Total Money Makeover is the up-to-date version.) The principles of money management--money is a river, always moving, so you need to watch it and guide it--are useful to know now. Even if you don't have debt, Ramsey teach ...more
Jamie
Sep 27, 2016 Jamie rated it liked it
I've been lucky to have grown up with solid personal finance guidance from my parents, so most of this was an easy review for me.

This book is a bit dated and could use an update. While much of the advice will with a and the test of time, the chapter on compounding interest is way out of touch with reality. A mutual fund that can earn 12% interest!? Funniest thing I've heard in a while!

For people who have no idea why they're always broke or who have a boat load of debt, this book provides a sol
Chris
Dec 25, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-reading
If everyone in the US followed his advice, our world, our economy, our lives would be vastly improved, even the very poor, because I believe they squander more than they realize without realizing what they are doing. Our culture is built on trying to have it all, NOW. He emphasizes paying for it as you go and still saving for a future. Just imagine if our government did that, what a different place our country would be to live in.
Cami
Aug 16, 2008 Cami rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life! It teaches you how to get debt free and how to budget in such a way that it is possible! It is step by step and done from a Christian point of view. I am a listener of Dave Ramsey's radio talk show and have seen him live in one of his seminars. After reading his book, I had a total paradigm shift in the way I looked at money and have learned to make it work for me! "Live like nobody else so that later you can live like nobody else." Dave Ramsey
Amandalynn
Aug 14, 2010 Amandalynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
really enjoyed reading this sounds weird for a financial book but i did. i would be curios to hear what he has to say about investing and mutual funds etc now with what has happened with the economy. it was easy to read and easy to grasp concepts. what he had to say was easy to understand and didn't go over my head...i intend on reading total money makeover more current hopefully not totally repetitive
Jamie
Jul 20, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it
So the library didn't have the "revisited" edition and I felt like I need to "pull a Dave Ramsey" and check it out from the library rather than buy it. It was a quick read and very enjoyable. Some good points to think about and start using. Overall I think he has some good advice and is entertaining to read. Definitely check out the newer version if possible though. Some of the facts are pretty out-dated.
Rachel
Jan 29, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A lot of this book is common sense. But it is the common sense stuff that nobody does anymore, and that is largely why our nation is in financial crisis.

I have read a lot of financial books in the past couple years. The strategies here are not as "exciting", and don't give you the get rich quick excitement that some do. The thought that came into my mind when reading this is, that following his strategies would make me sleep a lot better at night. The title is very appropriate.
Mark Caudill
Jan 17, 2016 Mark Caudill rated it it was ok
tldlr; pay credit card minimums while building $1000 emergency fund, then aggressively pay off debts (he says largest debt first, others say highest interest first), then build up 3-6 month emergency fund and maximize retirement savings, (then "give like crazy"). Central to making any of this work is coming up with a budget.
Kendra
Nov 29, 2013 Kendra rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I read the 1992 version of this from my library. So this is not your progressive manual on finance, or even on gender roles for that matter (so dated!). I did, however, enjoy most of it and found Ramsey's ability to unravel personal finance in layman's terms very refreshing. I wish I had read this in my twenties, particularly before I sought my stock broker's license and failed thrice :)
Book Him Danno
Oct 03, 2009 Book Him Danno rated it really liked it
Dave Ramsey is the man when it comes to personal finances. We followed his advice and it has made a huge difference in our lives. Financial Peace is amazing, he lays it our step by step and even gives you stories to read and to help keep you motivated. Read this and The Total Money Makeover and be amazed at what you can accomplish financially.
Hans
Aug 17, 2012 Hans rated it really liked it
Dave Ramsey pulls off what few authors who talk about finance can and that is make it both readable, accessible and intriguing. I enjoyed reading this book. I especially love how he challenges conventional wisdom, which is something I always enjoy.

If you are tired of stressing about finances you ought to read his books, it will help motivate you to quit volunteering for financial slavery.
Andrew
Aug 14, 2013 Andrew rated it it was amazing
This clarified so many financial concepts I was murky on, but that I really need to understand to responsibly care for my family. I know this book is going to be a watershed moment for my life. Seriously, not to be dramatic but these concepts have serious power. Do yourself a favor and read some Ramsey.
Emily
Jul 19, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Dave Ramsey is always a favorite of mine and this has been on my "to read" list for awhile. I was pleasantly surprised that it had so many hidden gems since I have been following Dave's radio show for years now. His commonsense approach to getting real about your finances is a must read, and the younger the better!
Josh Horn
May 01, 2013 Josh Horn rated it liked it
There are some useful tidbits of information about smart financial practices, but a lot of this book is geared toward self-help, and focuses on changing attitudes about money rather than specific steps and processes. Overall a worthwhile read, just too much opinion and not enough information density.
Doug
Jan 26, 2008 Doug rated it really liked it
Recommended to Doug by: A friend in college lent me his copy.
A bit wordy but it really builds the basic understanding of how to accomplish the Total Money Makeover. It's an okay read, the edition I have is before the revisions so you can see that it was his first attempt at writing a book. Clumsy flow in places, but the concepts are solid and the plan works!
Hannah
Sep 20, 2011 Hannah rated it liked it
I found Ramsey's advice fairly helpful, though all of his investment advice seems laughable as the financial environment now is so different than it was when the book was published. I wish Ramsey had left out some of his quotes from the Bible. He took them out of context, which I found rather annoying. The writing was mediocre.
Joshua
Jun 17, 2012 Joshua rated it liked it
I am currently trying to work through this book. It has become a toilet read for me, though I think I may need to take it more seriously than that :)

I am rating it at 3 starts right now because it is hard for me to get through the book. I have to force myself through it. Once I finish I will come back and re-rate accordingly.
Niloofar
Mar 11, 2008 Niloofar rated it it was amazing
I read this book right after meeting Raymond (he is all into this financial stuff) and went to Dave's seminar and used this book to get out of student debt in just 5 years (it is impressive if you knew how much we owed $$$$$$$$$$$$$). If you live by his plan, you will get out of debt and stay out of debt because you will live with in your means. It is a great, great book.
Amber
Nov 20, 2010 Amber rated it really liked it
Not as well written as Total Money Makeover, but it gave me some more details on the budgeting and investment plans he covers briefly in TMM. He is a very religious man and ties that in so well to money. I really like his style!
Debbie
Mar 20, 2015 Debbie rated it it was amazing
Financial Peace Workbook" is a fantastic addition to the "Financial Peace: Revisited" book. I am beginning to use the principles in this book and I can hardly wait to see the impact in my life. I cannot recommend these books highly enough. Read them! Live them!!
Nikki
Jun 10, 2007 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Once again i am so impressed with Dave Ramsey. His books are great. no matter if you just want to learn how to be better with money or if you NEED real help to get out of debt his books are for you.
Lorena Walker
Aug 12, 2009 Lorena Walker rated it it was amazing
This book has changed my life for the better- I have learned a lot in how to manage my finances. Yes, he is Christian but there are only about two times I recall God being mentioned in the book. HIGHLY recommended! I wish I would have found DR sooner! I like this better than TMM!
Katelyn
Sep 10, 2012 Katelyn rated it it was ok
Good motivation, but certainly not the best book I've read. Too vague, yet too detailed at times. Keep it simple, stupid! I am though going to try to use the envelope system in the next three months because our budget is very tight.
  • The Money Book for Freelancers, Part-Timers, and the Self-Employed: The only personal finance system for people with not-so-regular jobs
  • Talking Dirty with the Queen of Clean
  • The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom: Practical and Spiritual Steps So You Can Stop Worrying
  • Gazelles, Baby Steps and 37 Other Things Dave Ramsey Taught Me about Debt
  • All New Electronics Self-Teaching Guide
  • The Sea Is So Wide and My Boat Is So Small: Charting a Course for the Next Generation
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon
  • The Bedford Handbook
  • Smart Couples Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Creating a Rich Future for You and Your Partner
  • I Love You Rituals
  • The Money Saving Mom's Budget: Slash Your Spending, Pay Down Your Debt, Streamline Your Life, and Save Thousands a Year
  • Retire Inspired: It's Not an Age, It's a Financial Number
  • The Likeability Factor: How to Boost Your L-Factor and Achieve Your Life's Dreams
  • Graceful
  • America's Cheapest Family Gets You Right on the Money: Your Guide to Living Better, Spending Less, and Cashing in on Your Dreams
  • Debt Free Living
  • 48 Days to the Work You Love
David L. Ramsey III (b. September 3, 1960) is an American financial writer, radio and television host.

More about Dave Ramsey...