The Financial Peace Planner: A Step-by-Step Guide to Restoring Your Family's Financial Health

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  486 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Get out of debt and stay out with the help of Dave Ramsey, recently seen by millions of Today Show viewers. His practical regimen, first set forth by The Financial Peace Planner, which will be published by Penguin in January 1998. Loaded with inspirational insights that come from personal experience, this set of books is the most valuable purchase a debt-ridden reader can...more
Published January 1st 1998 by Penguin Books

Lauren Whitehead
Jun 30, 2008 Lauren Whitehead rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone.
This book goes baby step by baby step from your initial budget making to progressing through getting out of debt to what to do with all that cash once you ARE out of debt. Easy to read, with lots of helpful charts and explanations, I really liked this and think it will be extremely helpful to me as my family and I work to get out of debt (a LOT of it - thanks, grad school!). This is the one I'll keep going back to for answers to questions as they arise.
Emma
Good financial literacy awareness raising.
Cam
Sep 03, 2009 Cam added it
Shelves: 2009
Once again, this makes perfect sense. I am really looking forward to our house selling and Kevin building a patient base so we can pay off our debt and start building wealth. I want to make smart financial decisions. This is a great guide for doing that. I definitely want to follow his program and have been wanting to for quite some time now, but since we're finally having some income, hopefully we'll be able to start! I recommend his books, and his radio show, we enjoy listening to him when we'...more
Tinea
Aug 04, 2009 Tinea rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: those trying to swing it on a low income, and those with monstrous college loans
Recommended to Tinea by: Mom
Shelves: various-skills
This is a useful, sensible guide to budgeting, paying off debt, and achieving financial stability (like being able to handle medical emergencies) for people with low-incomes, especially people struggling with loan payments.

I'm going to synthesize Ramsey's advice into my own words below:

1. Create an emergency fund. Open a savings account if you don't have one, and put effort into getting $1000 into it as soon as possible, even if it means cutting back spending, taking on extra work, or selling so...more
Melody Rensberger
My husband and I are on a budget, and he took a class that used much of Dave Ramsey's material, so I wanted to read it for myself. Conclusion: If you're ready to buy into it, read the chapter entitled Baby Steps that is five pages long and you'll be good to go. Actually, you don't even have to do that because I'm attaching a handy-dandy pdf of all seven of them.

That being said, it is a very thorough and helpful program. I think it's better to do with people though-- as a program, and not just re...more
Izzy
I picked this book because a friend had recommended Ramsey's podcast, and I thought it would be more useful to read his book. (I'm now listening to the podcast too.) I think some of the information in the book is dated, because it was originally written in the 90s. (I think The Total Money Makeover is the up-to-date version.) The principles of money management--money is a river, always moving, so you need to watch it and guide it--are useful to know now. Even if you don't have debt, Ramsey teach...more
Chris
If everyone in the US followed his advice, our world, our economy, our lives would be vastly improved, even the very poor, because I believe they squander more than they realize without realizing what they are doing. Our culture is built on trying to have it all, NOW. He emphasizes paying for it as you go and still saving for a future. Just imagine if our government did that, what a different place our country would be to live in.
Rachel
A lot of this book is common sense. But it is the common sense stuff that nobody does anymore, and that is largely why our nation is in financial crisis.

I have read a lot of financial books in the past couple years. The strategies here are not as "exciting", and don't give you the get rich quick excitement that some do. The thought that came into my mind when reading this is, that following his strategies would make me sleep a lot better at night. The title is very appropriate.
Cami
This book changed my life! It teaches you how to get debt free and how to budget in such a way that it is possible! It is step by step and done from a Christian point of view. I am a listener of Dave Ramsey's radio talk show and have seen him live in one of his seminars. After reading his book, I had a total paradigm shift in the way I looked at money and have learned to make it work for me! "Live like nobody else so that later you can live like nobody else." Dave Ramsey
Jamie
So the library didn't have the "revisited" edition and I felt like I need to "pull a Dave Ramsey" and check it out from the library rather than buy it. It was a quick read and very enjoyable. Some good points to think about and start using. Overall I think he has some good advice and is entertaining to read. Definitely check out the newer version if possible though. Some of the facts are pretty out-dated.
Amandalynn
really enjoyed reading this sounds weird for a financial book but i did. i would be curios to hear what he has to say about investing and mutual funds etc now with what has happened with the economy. it was easy to read and easy to grasp concepts. what he had to say was easy to understand and didn't go over my head...i intend on reading total money makeover more current hopefully not totally repetitive
Hans
Dave Ramsey pulls off what few authors who talk about finance can and that is make it both readable, accessible and intriguing. I enjoyed reading this book. I especially love how he challenges conventional wisdom, which is something I always enjoy.

If you are tired of stressing about finances you ought to read his books, it will help motivate you to quit volunteering for financial slavery.
Kendra
I read the 1992 version of this from my library. So this is not your progressive manual on finance, or even on gender roles for that matter (so dated!). I did, however, enjoy most of it and found Ramsey's ability to unravel personal finance in layman's terms very refreshing. I wish I had read this in my twenties, particularly before I sought my stock broker's license and failed thrice :)
Niloofar
I read this book right after meeting Raymond (he is all into this financial stuff) and went to Dave's seminar and used this book to get out of student debt in just 5 years (it is impressive if you knew how much we owed $$$$$$$$$$$$$). If you live by his plan, you will get out of debt and stay out of debt because you will live with in your means. It is a great, great book.
Book Him Danno
Dave Ramsey is the man when it comes to personal finances. We followed his advice and it has made a huge difference in our lives. Financial Peace is amazing, he lays it our step by step and even gives you stories to read and to help keep you motivated. Read this and The Total Money Makeover and be amazed at what you can accomplish financially.
Joshua
I am currently trying to work through this book. It has become a toilet read for me, though I think I may need to take it more seriously than that :)

I am rating it at 3 starts right now because it is hard for me to get through the book. I have to force myself through it. Once I finish I will come back and re-rate accordingly.
Hannah
I found Ramsey's advice fairly helpful, though all of his investment advice seems laughable as the financial environment now is so different than it was when the book was published. I wish Ramsey had left out some of his quotes from the Bible. He took them out of context, which I found rather annoying. The writing was mediocre.
Emily
Dave Ramsey is always a favorite of mine and this has been on my "to read" list for awhile. I was pleasantly surprised that it had so many hidden gems since I have been following Dave's radio show for years now. His commonsense approach to getting real about your finances is a must read, and the younger the better!
Andrew
This clarified so many financial concepts I was murky on, but that I really need to understand to responsibly care for my family. I know this book is going to be a watershed moment for my life. Seriously, not to be dramatic but these concepts have serious power. Do yourself a favor and read some Ramsey.
Doug
Jan 26, 2008 Doug rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Doug by: A friend in college lent me his copy.
A bit wordy but it really builds the basic understanding of how to accomplish the Total Money Makeover. It's an okay read, the edition I have is before the revisions so you can see that it was his first attempt at writing a book. Clumsy flow in places, but the concepts are solid and the plan works!
Josh Horn
There are some useful tidbits of information about smart financial practices, but a lot of this book is geared toward self-help, and focuses on changing attitudes about money rather than specific steps and processes. Overall a worthwhile read, just too much opinion and not enough information density.
Lorena Walker
This book has changed my life for the better- I have learned a lot in how to manage my finances. Yes, he is Christian but there are only about two times I recall God being mentioned in the book. HIGHLY recommended! I wish I would have found DR sooner! I like this better than TMM!
Paula
Got some great stuff from this book. It's one of Dave Ramsey's first and I found it at the library. Some stuff about mutual funds might be out of date, but I'm already implimenting several ideas I gleened. Definitely worth the time, and at a library price, why not?
Peggy
I stopped at Step 3. Waiting to complete this step and then will read to the next step. :) Things to think about at the very less.
Katelyn
Good motivation, but certainly not the best book I've read. Too vague, yet too detailed at times. Keep it simple, stupid! I am though going to try to use the envelope system in the next three months because our budget is very tight.
Amber
Not as well written as Total Money Makeover, but it gave me some more details on the budgeting and investment plans he covers briefly in TMM. He is a very religious man and ties that in so well to money. I really like his style!
There is some interesting information in this book regarding financial planning and getting out of debt....I like all of the fun charts and some good stats and pointers that your parents don't necessariy teach you.
Erika Molyneux
I enjoyed this book as well, but I enjoyed Dave's Total Money Makeover more. I think because it was a more recent print and organized by each baby step. Dave leaves you feeling motivated to tackle your debt!
Nikki
Once again i am so impressed with Dave Ramsey. His books are great. no matter if you just want to learn how to be better with money or if you NEED real help to get out of debt his books are for you.
  • Gazelles, Baby Steps and 37 Other Things Dave Ramsey Taught Me about Debt
  • Reluctant Saint: The Life of Francis of Assisi
  • Love 'Em or Lose 'Em: Getting Good People to Stay
  • Thou Shall Prosper: Ten Commandments for Making Money
  • 48 Days to the Work You Love
  • The Tightwad Gazette II: Promoting Thrift as a Viable Alternative Lifestyle
  • The Legend of the Monk and the Merchant: Principles for Successful Living
  • Start Late, Finish Rich: A No-Fail Plan for Achieving Financial Freedom at Any Age (Finish Rich Book Series)
  • The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom: Practical and Spiritual Steps So You Can Stop Worrying
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul at Work
  • No: Why Kids--Of All Ages--Need to Hear It and Ways Parents Can Say It
  • Your Money Counts: The Biblical Guide to Earning, Spending, Saving, Investing, Giving, and Getting Out of Debt
  • The Hurried Child: Growing Up Too Fast Too Soon
  • Flipping the Switch...: Unleash the Power of Personal Accountability Using the QBQ!
  • The Bedford Handbook
  • The Richest Man Who Ever Lived: King Solomon's Secrets to Success, Wealth, and Happiness
  • Rhinoceros Success
  • Money, Possessions and Eternity
David L. Ramsey III (b. September 3, 1960) is an American financial writer, radio and television host.

More about Dave Ramsey...
The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness Financial Peace Revisited EntreLeadership: 20 Years of Practical Business Wisdom from the Trenches More than Enough: The Ten Keys to Changing Your Financial Destiny Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University