Start by marking “Love You to Death” as Want to Read:
Love You to Death

Love You to Death

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,039 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
When did Abby Foote's life become an episode of "Law & Order?" First, a former boyfriend (who dumped Abby in the most humiliating way imaginable) is found murdered the day his engagement is announced.

Then two other ex-boyfriends report attempts made on their lives right after breaking up with her. Coincidence? Detective Benjamin Orr, of the Portland Police Department (
Published January 1st 2007 by Red Dress Ink

Slightly Single by Wendy MarkhamScot On The Rocks by Brenda JanowitzSee Jane Date by Melissa SenateMilkrun by Sarah MlynowskiSlightly Settled by Wendy Markham
Best Red Dress Ink Books
49th out of 107 books — 26 voters
The 13th Gift by Joanne Huist SmithHome for the Holidays by Heather Vogel FrederickWhat My Mother Gave Me by Elizabeth BenedictThe Last Present by Wendy MassMom Still Likes You Best by Jane Isay
Gifts
17th out of 25 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Lili
Dec 24, 2010 Lili rated it it was ok
I was bored out of my mind with this book, just wanted it to be over!

Abby is soooo stupid!, she's a doormat for all of her boyfriends (if the author expected me to feel sorry for her it didn't work, she deserves everything that happened to her for being so dumb), her "family" treats her like crap all the time and she allows it!
The police officers were totally unprofessional with her and she didn't say anything... but the worst of all was the way she kept thinking like a teenager all the time, no
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating: 3.25

This was a funny little crime mystery contemporary romance. I thought it started out slow, but progresses as the story went on. I thought that story was inventive because the main character, Abby, has the worse luck with guys. So when one of her exes turns up dead, she is the number one suspect. This is when she gets reacquainted with Ben Orr, a detective and former classmate.

The characters are great. Abby was funny, cute, but sometimes she annoyed me as well. Ben was the h
Min Li Li
Mar 16, 2016 Min Li Li rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chick-lit
Dün otobüsle eve dönerken okumaya başladım kitaba.Ve ummadığım bir şekilde beni yanılttı.Güzel anlamda tabi.Bu kadar iyi olacağını beklemiyordum.Konu olarakta kurgu hem tahmin edilebilirdi hem de farklıydı bence.Mesela katilin kim olduğunu tahmin etmiştim ama böyle bir konu nerden aklına gelir insanın.Böyle insanı fazla sıkmadan,kafa yormadan okutan kitaplardan biriydi.

Abby'nin üvey ailesine sinir oldum,o konuda çok pasif gördüm onu,hiç sesini falan çıkartmadı yaptıklarına.Ben olsam iletişimimi
Collette
Aug 05, 2008 Collette rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: chick-lit mystery fans
Shelves: chick-lit, senate
Being a big chick-lit fan and Red Dress Ink fan this book was right up my alley. It was a cute story about a girl who was being framed for the murder and attempted murder of three of her ex-boyfriends that dumped her in horrible ways like catching one in the bedroom at her birthday party with a woman's lips attached in the midsection. Ouch!! Not a fun way to find out about the other woman!
Anyway the hunky detective that refuses to believes she is innocent is non-other than her high-school crush
Carlos Alonso-Niemeyer
Jan 12, 2011 Carlos Alonso-Niemeyer rated it did not like it

I keep a list of book recommendations with me. Someone had recommended this book to me a while ago. I don't remmember but I have a few guesses.
I bought it for my Kindle, which prevented me from looking at the book cover.
After the first chapter I started to worry. In the second chapter I started to get angry. By the third chapter I was, quite frankly MAD!!!
If I ever find out who played this prank on me, he or she is going to get it.
This is a chick book. All fluf. Its the equivalent of having a
Sherri Hunter
Apr 24, 2013 Sherri Hunter rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, mystery
Could Abby Foote’s day get any worse? She already has the worst luck with men and discovers that her ex-boyfriend has been found murdered. The cop investigating the murder happens to be the guy she had a major crush on in high school. She soon learns that attempts were made on two other exes and she is the prime suspect for all three crimes. It’s bad enough that you’re being investigated by your high school crush for crimes you did not commit, but adding insult to injury, he doesn’t even remembe ...more
Aparajita Mukherjee
Nov 18, 2013 Aparajita Mukherjee rated it it was ok
Abby is a prime suspect in the murder of one of her ex-boyfriends, and she is also being accused of attempting to murder two of her other ex-boyfriends. But she is an extremely sweet, caring, generous person and it almost broke my heart by the way most people treated her. Her jackass good-for-nothing ex-boyfriends, her step-family, her colleagues at work, almost all of them deserve a seat in hell, including the hot Detective Benjamin Orr, who of all people should have understood her. Only a hand ...more
Kellie
Jun 17, 2012 Kellie rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-2010
This started out slow, but it got better as it moved along. I enjoyed it. I had my suspect early on, but when he became too obviously a red herring, I decided on someone else. (And I was right!) There's indication that the author is going to write another mystery with the same main character; I look forward to it.
Houda
May 28, 2014 Houda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: français
D'accord, j'ai terminé ce livre hier ou plutot ce matin puisque je m y suis collée jusqu'à 6h30 du matin. Fallait avoir un peu de repos et maintenant que je suis en pleine forme, les idées bien rangées je suis prête à en parler.
Alors d'où je vais commencer de la stupide Abby, de sa vie de merde, ou des crimes qui tentent la mettre en prison?! Malgrés sa naiveté, plutot que stupidité j'ai trop aimé le caractère d'Abby qui ne voit de mal en personne, prête à faire tout pour ses amis et sa famille
Sara
Oct 30, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. If you're currently dating and had a string of bad dates or relationships, this book is highly entertaining. A little bit of mystery, lots of humor and a little romance all tied into one easy, fun read.
Christina
Feb 22, 2016 Christina rated it liked it
Entertaining although a bit frustrating...

Melissa flawlessly lightened the tone of rather morbid material causing me to laugh and find humor in it. I found the resolution a bit anti-climactic and the love story one-dimensional and lacking. My frustrations arose from a main character, Abby Foote, that I wanted to see love and stand up for herself more. There was no real character development. BUT, I give this three stars because it is humorous, entertaining, and engages the reader in trying to fi
Katrina Mills
Feb 07, 2011 Katrina Mills rated it really liked it
Caitlin
Jun 18, 2011 Caitlin rated it it was ok
When did Abby Foote's life become an episode of Law & Order?

Abby has a terrible track record with boyfriends. As the book opens, her current boyfriend just leaves her at a Land's End when they were supposed to be attending her nephew's bris. The dude just freaks out about a baby circumcising party. Of course, everyone at the party is all, "Abby knows how to pick them!"

Granted, Abby's boyfriends suck. One tackled her so that she wouldn't catch the bouquet at her half-sister's wedding, subseq
Jen B
Dec 01, 2008 Jen B rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
Abby Foote has horrible luck with boyfriends. She's been dumped by email, at her own birthday party, and most recently inside an LL Bean. She just can't seem to find a good man - so she's more than happy when Benjamin Orr, her high school crush, walks into her office one day. But it turns out Ben's a detective, and he's come to see Abby to investigate her for murder. It seems one of her ex-boyfriends has turned up dead, and as the spurned ex-girlfriend, Abby's the prime suspect. When two more of ...more
Kandee
I want more Abby Foote.

I need more Abby Foote.

I will die without Abby Foote.

A little dramatic, yes. Am I serious, no, but dammit, I loved this book. It had a little bit of my favorite of everything, romance, mystery, drama. IT HAD IT ALL and I think now Melissa Senate is on my GREAT AUTHORS list because it just seemed natural to her. The characters are all great, I mean, not all because Abby seems to date all douchebags, but they were great to read about. I got really attached. REALLY attached.
Minie Houselook
May 30, 2015 Minie Houselook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby a aucune chance depuis son plus jeune âge. Du coup, quand elle doit être demoiselle d’honneur, c’est tout naturellement que ces ex commencent à mourir. De plus, l’un des enquêteurs et chargé de suivre Abby n’est autre que l’un de ses ex. Elle part sur cette enquête et cherche l’assassin.

Melissa Senate nous permet de nous détendre, de suivre une enquête et de nous divertir.
Aera Coltheart
Oct 20, 2013 Aera Coltheart rated it really liked it
The story was supposed to be chick lit but I never encountered it at all, more like a contemporary read and suspense.

I think the selling point to why I really like this is because of the heroine Abby Foote, she’s sarcastic, witty humoured, and damn funny at time especially when she contemplates her thoughts regarding how people where feeling about her being the suspect of killing her past ex. I love part where she was reading her emails and she gets mails from her Ex’s yeah a lot of them and al
Shirley Worley
Oct 18, 2013 Shirley Worley rated it liked it
Abby Foote is a relationship disaster gone amuck, several times over. After a former boyfriend is murdered and several former ex's are nearly killed, Abby becomes the prime suspect. Detective Ben Orr, a one-time classmate and object of her teen-age crush, sets out to prove her guilt while Abby secretly develops intense feelings for him (again). The support she receives from her friends, co-workers, and step-family is half-hearted, forcing Abby to insert herself into the investigation.

I really en
Claire
Mar 06, 2012 Claire rated it it was ok
Shelves: jess, read-2012
I really liked the idea behind this book, someone trying (and in one instance, succeeding) to wipe out your ex-boyfriends and it wasn't a bad book but some of the characters just really annoyed me, as did some of the situations she ended up in. At one point, I pushed the book away yelling 'get to the point!' There were some nice moments though but I'm afraid this one didn't win me over. There is a small notation at the end of the book saying there will be another Abby Foote mystery, however this ...more
Sandra
Jul 17, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and found it un-put-down able from about page 54 until page 259. If it weren't for the fact that I needed to get up early I would've read it to the end. I'm not sure whether it was because of this break in continuity, but I thought that the last 4 chapters (40 or so pages) felt kind of rushed and slightly anti-climactic. I think that I'd rather give the book 3.5 stars if that were possible, or even 3.75, purely for the last 4 chapters. But it hasn't put me off startin ...more
Heather Hile
Feb 02, 2016 Heather Hile rated it really liked it
Some one is killing Abby's ex-boyfreinds. Not her, but she is the main suspect and the cute detective will stick with her till he finds the killer. A fun comedy romance.
Lisa
Dec 03, 2012 Lisa rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-my-nook
This was an easy read, but not my favorite of Senate's. I had mixed feelings about the main character. The detective investigating her -- who we later discover believed her all along -- says highly offensive things to her that don't make sense in that context. And the mentally unstable killer isn't portrayed like that at all until the end. The ending was also diminished with the following line, "Look for another Abby Foote mystery next January." This was published in 2007. But even if a sequel w ...more
Nancy S
Feb 06, 2012 Nancy S rated it really liked it
Fast pace read (I finished it in one day). Likable characters. Abby has the worst taste in guys and seems to get dumped in the most humilating ways. When a former boyfriend is found murdered the day his engagement is announced Abby ends up as the number one suspect. When it is discovered that two other ex's had attempts made on their lives Abby is the only suspect. She determines it is up to her to solve the crimes and find the real killer.
Heidi (Yup. Still here.)
3.5 stars. This book was really between three and four stars for me. At times I really loved it and wanted to give it four stars and a few times the main characters overly "lovey" thoughts about her detective drove me batty. The way her family treated her also irritated me. Over all though, I really loved the fast pace and the humor of the book, plus the mystery kept me guessing so I recommend it as a fun light mystery.
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
2 1/2

Honestly it wasn't bad or painful to read (unless Abby was doing something embarrassing, which turns out to be quite a lot), but I guess it just wasn't even close to the wow factor. Or yeaaahh this is good, go read it! It's more like, read it if you want, and if you don't, then whatever. Her character annoyed be a bit, and the things she did sometimes made me cringe. But I didn't dislike this book or anything.
Monica
Jul 29, 2010 Monica rated it liked it
Abby Foote is suspect number one when her ex-boyfriends start turning up dead. She never expected that. She also didn't expect that the person who would be investigating her (maybe a little too closely for comfort) would be Benjamin Orr, her high school crush. But Benjamin isn't about to let a suspect get away with murder, especially if he thinks there might be someone else behind all the mayhem.
Juva
Jul 25, 2013 Juva rated it really liked it
A fun novel, full of surprises and a few twists and turns. I genuinely laughed out loud a few times, and the ending wasn't as predictable as you'd think. I love the tension between the main characters, and all the zany things that happen once the people around the protagonist start making assumptions. It's fun and quirky, and I can't wait to read more from Melissa Senate.
Rachael
Oct 05, 2012 Rachael rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
I don't know why, but this book had be giggling like crazy while reading it. It has a nice little mix of chick lit, mystery, and a tiny bit of serious family relationship craziness. I was happy to see that the person that I pegged for the murderer was in fact innocent. I like that, because otherwise I solved the case at page 50, never a good sign with a mystery book.
Anne
Dec 07, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
A fun easy read. I thought it was interesting how much depth they went into with Abby's family. Love Ben. Also I didn't guess the ending at all although I don't think it's the type of book where you have enough clues to guess the ending. Can't wait to read another Abby Foote book!
Heather Tisdale
Nov 14, 2012 Heather Tisdale rated it liked it
I would have liked it more if Abby wasn't so stupidly romantic. It's one thing to be in love with someone, but saying I love you fifteen times in your head when someone looks at you is a little much. Just a little more toned down and it would have been a happy middle ground.
  • The Pact (Rachel Benjamin, #1)
  • Scot On The Rocks: How I Survived My Ex-Boyfriend's Wedding With My Dignity Ever-So Slightly Intact (Brooke Miller, #1)
  • How Nancy Drew Saved My Life
  • The Funeral Planner
  • Killer Summer
  • Accidental It Girl
  • Losing It
  • True Love (and Other Lies)
  • Fate and Ms. Fortune
  • Getting Personal
  • Sleeping Over
  • Sorcery and the Single Girl (Jane Madison, #2)
  • Loose Screws
I'm the author of fourteen novels, including my debut, SEE JANE DATE (also available in cute TV movie form on DVD) and THE LOVE GODDESS' COOKING SCHOOL. I've recently had two novels published under a secret pen name, but I will happily share if you message me to ask!

My debut romance series for Harlequin will be published in 2016 under the pen name Meg Maxwell (MegMaxwell.com). A COWBOY IN THE KITC
More about Melissa Senate...