Start by marking “Betrayals” as Want to Read:
Betrayals

Betrayals

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  336 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Originally published in 1991 by Severn House Publishers under the pen name Anne Harrell, this classic tale of international intrigue and romantic suspense tells the story of how the theft of 10 jewels set off a tragic chain of events lasting for more than 30 years.
Hardcover
Published by Severn House Publishers (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Betrayals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betrayals

Ns
Feb 21, 2011 Ns rated it it was amazing
Carla Neggers is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. In Betrayals what started off as a slow read, quickly became an addicting mystery that kept on getting better. There was so much going on, deception, scandal, tragedy, secrecy and half-truths but instead of being one messy and confusing plot, the writing was extremely intelligent and purposeful.

The story unfolded with a seemingly simple mystery, that of a career criminal turned murderer intent on exacting revenge. As the events progr
Pattianne
Jan 17, 2014 Pattianne rated it liked it
Betrayals - Investigative Series #3 - (Jared Stone and Rebecca Blackburn) old Boston money and murder.

Saturnus
Vad är oskyldiga liv värda när en förmögenhet står på spel?

14 år efter att Rebecca och Jared lyckades fly från Vietnam mitt i kriget med lilla Mai togs många bilder på deras flykt för livet. Nu, efter alla år, publiceras bilderna.
Rebecca och Jared har inte träffats under dessa år, då han berättat att Mai var hans dotter som han hade med en vietnamesiska, Tam, som dog i flykten. Rebecca har under alla år aldrig glömt bort Jared även fast hon så gärna vill. För att inte behöva tänka på honom. har
Stacey
Dec 12, 2012 Stacey rated it really liked it
It was a little bit slow getting into but I think her books are a little bit like that but man towards the end I couldn't stop! There were a lot of unexpected turns, some good laughs, a few tears. Good strong characters, I don't want to say too much to spoil the book but it is worth the read for sure.
Michele
Aug 27, 2014 Michele rated it it was amazing
Excellent suspense, kept me going.
Sherrie
Sep 07, 2009 Sherrie rated it it was amazing
"Betrayals" by Carla Neggers
(from back cover)

A red velvet bag holding ten sparkling gems. A woman who must confront their legacy of deceit, scandal and murder.

Rebecca Blackburn caught a glimpse of the famed Jupiter Stones as a small child. Unaware of their significance, she forgot about them--until she discovered the priceless, long-missing gems where the key to a deadly chain of events spanning thirty years and three continents....sparing on one.

When a seemingly innocent photograph reignites on
Frances
Aug 28, 2014 Frances rated it did not like it
Disjointed, convoluted and often repetitive. I am glad Carla’s editing team have improved over the years!!
Kara Thomas
Nov 21, 2014 Kara Thomas rated it liked it
A few good twists and turns that kept the story moving.
Suzanne Parmer
Jan 29, 2015 Suzanne Parmer rated it did not like it
Didn't hold my interest;slow moving book
Emily-Jane Orford
Oct 09, 2015 Emily-Jane Orford rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
This was very confusing for the first two-thirds of the novel. Too many characters, interconnected with some loose family ties, and each with numerous back stories that kept dropping into the plot. The last third started to make sense.
Bob
Oct 07, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two wealthy families from Boston inter connected and at odds, stolen jewels, love affairs gone bad, murders and loss spread over many years with the narrative jumping from past to present and back throughout the story. A bit hard at first to keep track of all the players, but a fairly good book all the same.
ISBN - 9780778326236, Suspense, Pages - 384, Print Size - R, Rating - 4
All books reviewed are from the library or purchased by the reviewer.
Michelle
Dec 29, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok
The story has too much going on: a jewel thief and two separate ambushes in Vietnam that lead to the "current" conflicts, 30 years after the thievery. Too many characters - Annette the matriarch, Thomas the patriarch of a friend family, their children and at least one grandchild, plus other characters. None of the characters are particularly sympathetic or even very interesting. The book was good enough to finish, but not particularly good.
Teresa
Apr 28, 2009 Teresa rated it it was ok
I can't believe I read another one of her books. Don't let me do this again. This was a silly plot trying to wrap itself up in Vietnam War history. She has created a family of characters that don't talk to each other 300 of the 380 pages. Most of it was useless angst to take up space, was the author paid by the word? I wouldn't recommend it.
Tonya Warner
Rebecca has the Jupiter Stones, but she doesn't realize their meaning until it is almost too late. Jaredhas his own secrets, mainly that his daughter, Mai, is actually his niece.

A very convoluted story covering multiple time lines. Difficult to get in to the rythum and follow, but eventually able to.
Cheryl
Mar 28, 2009 Cheryl rated it liked it
I have always enjoyed Carla Neggers, I guess I was in the mood for light entertainment because this had so many "Betrayals" and twists that it was most of the book. I couldnt get invested in the people, and I love caring about the people. Thats usually a given in her books, I can care.
Ellenbaker1cox.net
Apr 06, 2011 Ellenbaker1cox.net rated it did not like it
I love her books and this one was good, but it was hard to keep up with the story line and it took me forever to ready it because of that fact. I just could not get into it and had to make myself keep reading.
Sheri/mom
Dec 31, 2013 Sheri/mom rated it really liked it
A little slow getting into it but lots of twists and turns in the end.
Nicole
Jun 16, 2010 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Great book! I highly recommend it to the murder mystery fans out there. There was murder, a jewel thief, two rich families who hate each other and romance...who could ask for anything more?
Moira
Feb 20, 2013 Moira added it
This is the first ever book of Carla Neggers that I could not get through. I have been reading it for some time and she is a favorite or mine but this one is just not doing it for me.
blue
Sep 14, 2013 blue rated it liked it
I remember reading this one. It might be more of a 2.5 star rating to be honest. There was something about it that irked me; I can't quite remember what.
Mick
Dec 21, 2011 Mick rated it really liked it
Once you have the people and the relationships figured out it's an easier read. I had to make a family tree to remember how everyone fit in.
Rachel
Sep 19, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
A good fluff book that I sandwiched in between other reads. Great hook, good page turner, nice suspense and only a tad bit of romance.
Lesley
Feb 23, 2012 Lesley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I enjoyed the pacing and how the story and the characters weren't exactly what you thought, right up until the end.

More later...
Vicki
Dec 25, 2012 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was one of the first books I read by author, Carla Neggers. I couldn't put it down and I have since read most of her books!
Sharon Sherman
Oct 16, 2011 Sharon Sherman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good book about about family secrets, deceit, scandal, and murder as well as how a family can love and work together for good.
Donita
Dec 14, 2011 Donita rated it really liked it
Well-written & thought-provoking, this is a story about how one mistake leads to another until it is all out of your control.
Mia
Aug 02, 2012 Mia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this series was great! I really enjoy her writing style. I have read a lot of her other books.
Barbara Pitts
Excellent. I love to read series books. I'm just never ready for a book to be finished.
Judy
Jun 17, 2009 Judy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: those liking mystery and romance
Author always writes a great mystery with believable characters.
Barbara
May 20, 2009 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
slow and confusing at first, now getting more and more interesting
  • On the Edge (Cold Ridge/U.S. Marshals, #1.5)
  • Everlasting Love
  • Find Me
  • Fatal Secrets (FBI Trilogy, #2)
  • Swift Horse
  • Nightkill
  • Southern Comforts
  • Born To Be Wild
  • The Darkness (Henry Parker, #5)
  • Winterkill
  • The Fortune Teller's Daughter
  • The Black Knight
  • Trust (Bannon Brothers, #1)
  • Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1)
  • One Magic Summer (The Oklahoma Brands, #5)
Carla Neggers has been spinning stories ever since she climbed a tree with pad and pen at age eleven. Now she is the New York Times bestselling author of almost 70 novels, with millions of books sold in over 30 countries. Her popular Sharpe & Donovan romantic suspense series featuring FBI agents Emma Sharpe and Colin Donovan launched with Saint’s Gate in 2011 and has been praised as “a breatht ...more
More about Carla Neggers...