Christmas Magic

Christmas Magic

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  260 ratings  ·  45 reviews
A festive collection of short stories by the natural heir to Maeve Binchy

Cathy Kelly, the number 1 best-selling Irish author, has created her first collection of heart-warming short stories. Christmas Magic is full of charming tales of life, love and the everyday dilemmas that we all face, all told in Cathy’s warm voice.

From Dolores and Genevieve, two spinster sisters who...more
Published November 8th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Magic

Karen
What a disappointment! I wanted to read something heartwarming and Christmasy, something to evoke memories of crackling log fires, twinkly fairy lights and mince pies baking in the oven. This book just didn't deliver at all.

A collection of short stories, this book hardly refered to Christmas, despite the title. The characters were largely 2 dimensional and the only feelings that they inspired were those of irritation.

Cathy Kelly's books had been recommended to me, but if this one is typical then...more
jessmaggie
Sometimes, I don't know why I bother with 'chick-lit', as 97% of the time it's rubbish. This book is full of short "inspiring", "heart-warming" stories, supposedly perfect for the christmas period. Every story was about following your dreams, or life working out perfectly despite all odds, or discovering yourself/your purpose in life. But they were all sooo predictable and painful. They were all fluff, with practically the same characters and many similarities in each story. In short, they were...more
Lui_line
I wanted to read some heartwarming, sweet little Christmas stories but was so dissappointed right with the first one. I read three, began some others but will drop it now. The stories were boring, just a narration of happenings, description of characters without any real plot or development - in fact NO "short story" but rather quick reads.
Amanda Carroll
Disappointing collection of short stories that have little or nothing to do with Christmas. Fairly average character portrayal and predictable story telling.
Sally906
This book of short stories was perfect December bedtime reading, with nineteen stories there was almost one for each night up until Christmas.

As with all collections there were a couple that I didn’t enjoy as much, but as a whole the stories were all very good. I was expecting them all to be fluffy and light hearted, but was pleasantly surprised to find that there are some tough issues dealt with – financial ruin, depression, infertility and relationship break-ups. The topics are handled very s...more
Michelle
Dec 11, 2011 Michelle rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cathy Kelly fans, short story fans, people with not a lot of time to read
Another nice and easy read from an author who admits in the acknowledgements that she didn't like writing short stories! I didn't realise until I started reading this that it was a book of short stories. There are 19 stories ranging from about 20-40 pages so readers will speed through them in no time. The stories are normally just the right length as well, to give some depth to the characters, without making them seem insignificant and forgettable.

There are a couple of weak stories in my opinion...more
Ingrid Fasquelle
En quelques années, Cathy Kelly s'est imposée comme la digne héritière de Maeve Binchy et de Rosamunde Pilcher. Traduite en quinze langues, elle trône en tête des listes de best-sellers. Après Doux remèdes pour cœurs brisés (2010), Sous une bonne étoile (2011) et Retour à Dublin (2012), elle revient avec Une saison pleine de promesses, une collection de dix-neuf histoires à savourer au coin du feu.

Si l'hiver vous donne des envies de lectures douillettes et réconfortantes, il y a toutes les chanc...more
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
Christmas Magic is a fantastic collection of delightful short stories, all taking place in Ireland though not all taking place at Christmas. While with reading the last book, Home for Christmas by Cally Taylor, I was annoyed to find it wasn’t actually about Christmas I found I was enjoying Kelly’s writing so much that I didn’t care.

This is the first novel of Cathy Kelly I’ve read, and I’m certainly convinced to give more a go now. Normally, I’m not a big fan of short stories, I like to get fully...more
Charlotte

I have been a fan of Cathy Kelly for many years. Her Irish Fiction has transports me to the "home" that I have never seen. Her latest work, Christmas Magic, is a compilation of short stories that will seem warm, familiar and likely to touch your heart. From office Christmas parties to neighborhood mailmen (postmen) to familial issues that always pop up around the holidays this collection holds something for everyone.

Bottom line, if you are looking to supp...more
Laura Walin
Romanttinen kirjallisuus on niin stereotypioitunut, että romaaninakin sen lukeminen on aika puuduttavaa - yllätyksiä ei juuri ole tarjolla ja tyylilaji onnistuu harvoin viemään mennessään. Homma menee vielä vaikeammaksi novellissa, jossa tapahtumat pitää saada käännettyä epätivon alhosta onnelliseen loppuun vähäisessä sivumäärässä. Ei onnistu, ainakaan tässä kirjassa.
Tegan
I have to admit i was drawn to the cover of this book and Christmas is my favorite time of the year so i was excited to read a Christmas book but that where all the excitement stopped. When i first started reading this book i actually realized it was about 19 short stories and not all of them about Christmas so i was a little bit disappointed hence my 4 star rating. But i continued reading because i wanted to hold of judgement until i had read the book. It turned i loved the book even though it...more
Siti Hajar
Cathy Kelly has always been one of my favourite authors. I love almost all her books. I have to stress on "almost" because this book is probably the one I enjoyed less. It might be because it was all short stories from her. Whilst some stories in this book were really well written, there were others that I found to be too quick to end. I guess I was so used to her novels that this took me by surprise. But I wished that some of the stories were hashed out slowly rather than given an abrupt end. F...more
Kim
This is an anthology of short stories by Cathy Kelly, some Christmas related and some not so. I could easily have given some of the stories 5 stars but a couple of them were 4 stars so the rating should really be 4 1/2 stars.

It is a great book to dip in and out of, especially if you do not have a lot of time to read in one sitting.

It is the first Cathy Kelly book I have read and I will definitely looking up her back list in the future.
Sara
I loved all these short stories they left you with a warm fuzzy feeling I highly recommend this book :)
Eline
I know now that I'm not a fan of short stories... This book didn't hold my attention and I had to force myself to continue reading. Have to say there were two stories I liked better, but on the whole it wasn't my kind of thing.
The thing is you don't get to know the characters very well. Just at the point you start getting into the story it ends... And that ending was without a good point (for me). Some stories cleary tried to teach us a lesson, but other ones just didn't.
Edith Riegler
I immensely enjoyed this collection of short stories! Sure, no really ground breaking matters are discussed and no particularly controversial issues dealt with, but I think I specifically enjoyed the book so much because of it's innocence and romantic qualities. The stories will wrap you up in a cosy blanket and fill your heart with warmth and happiness!
Li
Mixed collection of short stories, and not all Christmas-related, despite the title. Good for dipping in and out when you've a spare 20 minutes and all of them are very much in Cathy Kelly's very readable style. But they're not stories that linger long in your mind after reading - one book I'm glad I borrowed from the library and not bought.
Shell Stitcher
My first book of short stories and my last.

Usually love cathy kelly and the books that she writes but this one is not high on my list of recommendations. Just when you think a story is going somewhere it finishes and I could feel the concept of each story beginning to get repetitive.

Hhhhmmm some may like it, I didnt.
Lmmuzyka
Not a fan of short stories but as I am a fan of Cathy Kelly (have read all her books), decided I had to read this book. Cathy Kelly is Irish and she writes books about people. Basically she does a character study on people and her writing reminds me of another Irish writer, Mauve Binchy who I also love.
Arja
What´s a pity....Hyvä kirjailija sortunut tällaisen roskaan...kirja kirjoitettu vasemmalla kädellä...itsekin olisin varmaan tällaisen saanut kasaan, niin sinisilmäistä tekstiä ja niin tyhjänpäiväisiä tarinoita että ihan oli työ saada kirja luettua ettei olisi jatkuvasti nukahtanut kesken lukemisen!!
Brittany
It was okay but definitely not my favourite book. I bought this for Christmas as I thought it would be a nice novel to read in the holiday season, but I was very disappointed with the outcome. It ended up being a book of short stories that were completely unrelated to each other and to Christmas...
Sabra
A nice easy read of 19 short stories. Nothing hugely memorable but if you want a quick chick-lit read for the holidays this is great. Most of the stories aren't actually about Christmas but are all based on a "magic" or "fate" theme.
susieqlaw
I really enjoyed Cathy Kelly's book of short stories. She has written several fine novels and is able to craft short stories with the same detail and dynamics she uses in her novels! Highly recommend!
Sin Tien Tan
It's a collection of well-written short stories perfect for getting you poised for the holiday. It's simple, romantic, warm and hilarious, just what the doctor ordered for the holiday seasons.
Angela Bedford
A Christmas gift from a lovely friend, made this book all the more wonderful to read. Short stories just the thing for a busy reader who has trouble putting a book down.
Fiona
I really liked this book of short stories. It was really good although it kept me wanting to know what happened after the story finished!! Well done again Cathy!!
Aileen
This is a book of 19 short stories, some good others not so good, there is a preview at the back of Cathy's next book it looks to be good I will look out for it.
Debra
Check out my review below:

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs :-)
Cuti-CLUE-les
A lovely collection of short stories. It was well put together and I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it. Highly recommend this for a bit of light reading.
Dee-Ann
This is a collection of feel good short stories. I enjoyed most of them, for some reason the last one I liked the most, which dealt with depression.
  • With Love at Christmas
  • A Merry Little Christmas
  • Bad Angels
  • Christmas at Carrington's
  • The Magic of Christmas
  • The Twelve Days to Christmas (Single in the City)
  • Mistletoe in Manhattan
  • When I Fall In Love
  • Santa Maybe
  • Wish Upon a Star
  • A Winter Flame
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become...more
More about Cathy Kelly...
Someone Like You Always and Forever Best of Friends Homecoming Past Secrets