Start by marking “Christmas Magic” as Want to Read:
Christmas Magic

Christmas Magic

3.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  425 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
A festive collection of short stories by the natural heir to Maeve Binchy

Cathy Kelly, the number 1 best-selling Irish author, has created her first collection of heart-warming short stories. Christmas Magic is full of charming tales of life, love and the everyday dilemmas that we all face, all told in Cathy’s warm voice.

From Dolores and Genevieve, two spinster sisters who
Published November 8th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Magic

Suzanne
Dec 06, 2014 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Cathy Kelly has put together a collection of lovely short stories that span her writing career, she candidly mentions at the end that it was strange to look back on her old work, but did enjoy editing them and looking at mistakes from the past. These were all very enjoyable with the workable formula of short and sweet, that mostly included the struggling girl/wife/friend/neighbour winning out in the end. It was funny to notice the 'wronged' or 'not so pretty' friend ending up on top. This is a l ...more
Karen
Aug 29, 2012 Karen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a disappointment! I wanted to read something heartwarming and Christmasy, something to evoke memories of crackling log fires, twinkly fairy lights and mince pies baking in the oven. This book just didn't deliver at all.

A collection of short stories, this book hardly refered to Christmas, despite the title. The characters were largely 2 dimensional and the only feelings that they inspired were those of irritation.

Cathy Kelly's books had been recommended to me, but if this one is typical then
jessmaggie
Sometimes, I don't know why I bother with 'chick-lit', as 97% of the time it's rubbish. This book is full of short "inspiring", "heart-warming" stories, supposedly perfect for the christmas period. Every story was about following your dreams, or life working out perfectly despite all odds, or discovering yourself/your purpose in life. But they were all sooo predictable and painful. They were all fluff, with practically the same characters and many similarities in each story. In short, they were ...more
Sally906
This book of short stories was perfect December bedtime reading, with nineteen stories there was almost one for each night up until Christmas.

As with all collections there were a couple that I didn’t enjoy as much, but as a whole the stories were all very good. I was expecting them all to be fluffy and light hearted, but was pleasantly surprised to find that there are some tough issues dealt with – financial ruin, depression, infertility and relationship break-ups. The topics are handled very s
Edith Riegler
I immensely enjoyed this collection of short stories! Sure, no really ground breaking matters are discussed and no particularly controversial issues dealt with, but I think I specifically enjoyed the book so much because of it's innocence and romantic qualities. The stories will wrap you up in a cosy blanket and fill your heart with warmth and happiness!
Lui_line
Dec 18, 2012 Lui_line rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read some heartwarming, sweet little Christmas stories but was so dissappointed right with the first one. I read three, began some others but will drop it now. The stories were boring, just a narration of happenings, description of characters without any real plot or development - in fact NO "short story" but rather quick reads.
Nina
Dec 27, 2015 Nina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was definitely the biggest disapointment this year.
The only reason why I picked it up was because of it's title. You would think that a book with a word Christmas in it would probably be a bit Christmasy, right? Wrong. I think there was only 4, maybe 5 stories in it that were about Christmas.
The other stories were just so cheezy and cliché, that I rolled my eyes more, than in my whole life.The stories were almost the same, you knew what was going to happen after a few sentences. Don't
Rikke
Calling these short stories 'Christmas Stories' would be stretching it a bit far. The majority of these stories have nothing to do with Christmas or even Christmassy feelings. Most of all this is a collection filled with predictable clichées, pointless morales and one-dimensional characters.

What a complete waste of time.
Raquel
Dec 21, 2014 Raquel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'll admit it. I was a little bit disappointed. I'd never read a book of this sort before but the cover was pretty and so I thought it'd be nice to try a Christmas book. It is true that most of the stories had little if any relation to Christmas and they were predictable and repetitive with several boring characters that were so similar to each other, it almost became difficult to distinguish from one story to the other.
That said, I must point out this IS chick-lit so...you know...what do yo
Fiona
Dec 13, 2015 Fiona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
Collection of short stories but they are not all concerning Christmas and to be honest I felt a bit cheated as I had saved it until now in the hope it would help me feel festive . However an enjoyable read and easy to pick up and put down when the season brings it's usual chaos !
Rose Moore
I may have enjoyed this more if it was titled differently, although I probably wouldn't have picked it up if it was. I grabbed this for a fun December read, hoping to get in the Christmas spirit. While the stories were enjoyable (in a predictable, chick-lit way), there was very little that made me think of Christmas. A few Christmas puddings or descriptions of snow, but the majority of the stories could happen at any time of year.

Misleading title aside, it was fast and quite sweet, although occ
Amanda Carroll
Jan 05, 2013 Amanda Carroll rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing collection of short stories that have little or nothing to do with Christmas. Fairly average character portrayal and predictable story telling.
Michelle
Dec 11, 2011 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cathy Kelly fans, short story fans, people with not a lot of time to read
Another nice and easy read from an author who admits in the acknowledgements that she didn't like writing short stories! I didn't realise until I started reading this that it was a book of short stories. There are 19 stories ranging from about 20-40 pages so readers will speed through them in no time. The stories are normally just the right length as well, to give some depth to the characters, without making them seem insignificant and forgettable.

There are a couple of weak stories in my opinion
Ingrid Fasquelle
En quelques années, Cathy Kelly s'est imposée comme la digne héritière de Maeve Binchy et de Rosamunde Pilcher. Traduite en quinze langues, elle trône en tête des listes de best-sellers. Après Doux remèdes pour cœurs brisés (2010), Sous une bonne étoile (2011) et Retour à Dublin (2012), elle revient avec Une saison pleine de promesses, une collection de dix-neuf histoires à savourer au coin du feu.

Si l'hiver vous donne des envies de lectures douillettes et réconfortantes, il y a toutes les chanc
Lorenzio Phillibuster Fireworks
Christmas Magic is a fantastic collection of delightful short stories, all taking place in Ireland though not all taking place at Christmas. While with reading the last book, Home for Christmas by Cally Taylor, I was annoyed to find it wasn’t actually about Christmas I found I was enjoying Kelly’s writing so much that I didn’t care.

This is the first novel of Cathy Kelly I’ve read, and I’m certainly convinced to give more a go now. Normally, I’m not a big fan of short stories, I like to get fully
Charlotte
Dec 23, 2012 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I have been a fan of Cathy Kelly for many years. Her Irish Fiction has transports me to the "home" that I have never seen. Her latest work, Christmas Magic, is a compilation of short stories that will seem warm, familiar and likely to touch your heart. From office Christmas parties to neighborhood mailmen (postmen) to familial issues that always pop up around the holidays this collection holds something for everyone.

Bottom line, if you are looking to supp
Laura Walin
Apr 19, 2014 Laura Walin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: entertainment
Romanttinen kirjallisuus on niin stereotypioitunut, että romaaninakin sen lukeminen on aika puuduttavaa - yllätyksiä ei juuri ole tarjolla ja tyylilaji onnistuu harvoin viemään mennessään. Homma menee vielä vaikeammaksi novellissa, jossa tapahtumat pitää saada käännettyä epätivon alhosta onnelliseen loppuun vähäisessä sivumäärässä. Ei onnistu, ainakaan tässä kirjassa.
Zinnia
Dec 23, 2015 Zinnia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I really didnt get the end of the first story. Can someone please highlight upon it. The book of magic was intented for some other Ms. Malone living on the otherside with the same house-but has left? What does that signify?
Tegan
Dec 19, 2013 Tegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit i was drawn to the cover of this book and Christmas is my favorite time of the year so i was excited to read a Christmas book but that where all the excitement stopped. When i first started reading this book i actually realized it was about 19 short stories and not all of them about Christmas so i was a little bit disappointed hence my 4 star rating. But i continued reading because i wanted to hold of judgement until i had read the book. It turned i loved the book even though it ...more
Lindsay Gentles
Dec 28, 2015 Lindsay Gentles rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gave up because I was so disappointed that it wasn't a full story... Just a bunch of mini stories! Nope... Not what I was wanting
Siti Hajar
Cathy Kelly has always been one of my favourite authors. I love almost all her books. I have to stress on "almost" because this book is probably the one I enjoyed less. It might be because it was all short stories from her. Whilst some stories in this book were really well written, there were others that I found to be too quick to end. I guess I was so used to her novels that this took me by surprise. But I wished that some of the stories were hashed out slowly rather than given an abrupt end. F ...more
Bernadette
Heart warming and fantastic,you become immersed in the life of each character
Pippin
Dec 18, 2014 Pippin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read the first couple of stories, didn't interest me at all.
April Pardoe
Dec 02, 2014 April Pardoe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointing. Misleading title as stories are not Christmas relates. They are also predictable and formulaic.
Kim
This is an anthology of short stories by Cathy Kelly, some Christmas related and some not so. I could easily have given some of the stories 5 stars but a couple of them were 4 stars so the rating should really be 4 1/2 stars.

It is a great book to dip in and out of, especially if you do not have a lot of time to read in one sitting.

It is the first Cathy Kelly book I have read and I will definitely looking up her back list in the future.
Julie
Jan 13, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I like this author's full length novels, but her short stories just don't seem to work so well. I enjoyed about 3 of the stories and the rest were just ok. Just not really to my taste, but if you like the short stories in ladies magazines then I think you will enjoy these more.
Mary
Dec 19, 2015 Mary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish-chic-lit
not really a fan of short stories
Jan
Dec 22, 2014 Jan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Flu fodder.
Kristy Cunningham
Great book. The 19 short stories were all easy reads.
Sara
Feb 01, 2014 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I loved all these short stories they left you with a warm fuzzy feeling I highly recommend this book :)
  • Santa Maybe
  • Bad Angels
  • Winter Wonderland
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • With Love at Christmas
  • Murder Trims the Tree (A Gertie Johnson Christmas Novella)
  • A Merry Little Christmas
  • A Season to Remember
  • Christmas at Carrington's
  • The Magic of Christmas
  • Mistletoe in Manhattan
  • A Christmas Caroline: A Novel
Born in Belfast but raised in Dublin, Cathy initially worked for thirteen years as a newspaper journalist with a national Irish Sunday newspaper, where she worked in news, features, along with spending time as an agony aunt and the paper’s film critic. However, her overwhelming love was always fiction and she published her first international bestseller, Woman To Woman, in 1997. She did not become ...more
More about Cathy Kelly...