Start by marking “Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival” as Want to Read:
Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival

Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival

Penguin Putnam Fg Wilderness Survival 9780425105726
Published April 15th 1987 by Berkley (first published June 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Brown's Field Guide to Wilderness Survival

Wizardeyes
Mar 08, 2010 Wizardeyes rated it it was amazing
I learned alot about wilderness survival from this book. Tom Brown's an eloquent writer and I appreciate how he describes backcountry living in the book. I really dig that he writes about 'survival' as a way of life (which is information I'm looking for) as opposed to something like Les Stroud's "Survive" which talks about survival from an emergency-"I need to be rescuded" stance.
Rachel Chae
Oct 10, 2016 Rachel Chae rated it really liked it
brilliant book if you want to learn how to walk like a fox and feel a salad
Roger Burk
Mar 10, 2013 Roger Burk rated it liked it
Despite the title, this book is not about wilderness survival. It is about learning the skills of our paleolithic ancestor: making bows and arrows, stalking deer, tanning hides with their brains, making pemmican, and so forth. These skills are surely as difficult and time-consuming to learn for us as learning to navigate the internet would be for a cave man. The short last chapter of the book seems like an afterthought: it's about what's really important if you find yourself lost in the woods, l ...more
P.D.
Nov 17, 2008 P.D. rated it it was amazing
I used to call these the most important books in print. Perhaps they still are. The reason I rated them so highly is that Tom Brown's books contain knowledge that has practically vanished from the Earth. Namely: how people lived before civilization.

Both the field guides and the biographical and autobiographical books deliver an understanding of nature that is missing from modern life. They are essential reading.

And oh yes, they are the best survival manuals available.
Cameron
Oct 06, 2008 Cameron rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
Written by an experienced woodsman, this is a great guide for learning how to spend time stranded in the wilderness without dying from starvation or exposure, but that's about it. Truthfully, though, that would be a hell of an accomplishment for most people. Hence, just focus on the basics with this book, and learn how to build a raft out of turtles and back hairs in later editions...
Branden
Nov 06, 2015 Branden rated it it was amazing
Not a "survival guide," per se. If that's what you're looking for go check out the SAS Survival Handbook, by John Wiseman. This book is about staying out in the wild ("thriving," as opposed to "surviving") using skills handed down via hundreds of generations of the indigenous Native American hunter-gatherer societies. Exceptionally informative and written in an entertaining fashion as well. Five stars.
Dyann
May 21, 2015 Dyann rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent reference book and also an interesting read. A lot of very useful information and has really decent drawings of how to do various bush skills. There are some very basic but need to know skills along with the more risque type skills for people who are a bit more adventurous and wish to try something different. There's information on wild edibles, various shelter constructions, various types of animal traps and such. A very good book overall.
Charlie
Aug 21, 2007 Charlie rated it really liked it
This is a good survival book; it focuses on understanding and being a part of the wilderness rather than fighting it... as fighting against the wilderness uses up too much precious energy when things really get nasty.
Shana
Feb 14, 2014 Shana rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
While this topic fascinates me, it doesn't really apply to my current situation, and I had to give up reading the book in favor of others that speak directly to what it going on in my life now. May pick up in the future...
Mac
May 08, 2013 Mac rated it it was amazing
This book is possibly unmatched for survival skills in North America. Trap making, Botany, shelter tips, etc.

I've used it since I was a boy.
Carl
Feb 04, 2010 Carl rated it really liked it
If you can get past the obviously made up stories about his childhood then this book is a great resource for wilderness survival.
Dawn Anderson
Pretty practical. Not so easy to put into use. An old Boy Scout Handbook has some equally great stuff in it, too.
Kate
Jan 26, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
A must-read for living close to the land. My "bible" during a few escapist years. Every human should know that they can...
Mike Capanda
May 26, 2015 Mike Capanda rated it it was amazing
Tom Brown jr is the ultimate teacher . Not just physical skills . He teaches way more . Read all his books
Cade
Sep 05, 2009 Cade rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Campers/Hikers, Boy Scouts, Survivalists
One of the best primers in survival ever written. Tom Brown teaches survival skills as well as ethics and proper interaction with nature.
Kat
May 22, 2013 Kat rated it it was amazing
Fun and informative. I am glad I own this so that I can read and reread it over and over. I should like to memorize many sections.
Asaucier
Jun 04, 2010 Asaucier rated it really liked it
Shelves: guides
I've been skimming through this one for a few weeks, picking out skills/projects to use for camping trips. First excursion out: tomorrow morning.
Leslie
Jun 03, 2009 Leslie is currently reading it
Animals are not uncomfortable living in the wilderness. Living in harmony with nature doesn't have to mean wandering around soaking wet in the rain looking for berries....
Jerry Jordison
Jerry Jordison rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2012
Paul Scott
Paul Scott rated it it was amazing
Nov 08, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2011
Leonard Odložilík
Leonard Odložilík rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Jamey Kirkpatrick
Jamey Kirkpatrick rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2014
Jordan Balsamo
Jordan Balsamo rated it liked it
May 02, 2013
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Bob
Bob rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Ariel
Ariel rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2016
Greg Chokas
Greg Chokas rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2013
  • Primitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills
  • A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants: Eastern and Central North America
  • How to Stay Alive in the Woods: A Complete Guide to Food, Shelter and Self-Preservation Anywhere
  • When Technology Fails: A Manual for Self-Reliance & Planetary Survival
  • Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere - Alive
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • Edible Wild Plants: A North American Field Guide
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • Crisis Preparedness Handbook: A Comprehensive Guide to Home Storage and Physical Survival
  • Stalking the Wild Asparagus
  • The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants
  • When All Hell Breaks Loose: Stuff You Need To Survive When Disaster Strikes
  • Identifying and Harvesting Edible and Medicinal Plants
  • Where There Is No Doctor: A Village Health Care Handbook
  • Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide
  • Sharing Nature with Children: The Classic Parents' & Teachers' Nature Awareness Guidebook
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76
Tom Brown, Jr. is an American naturalist, wilderness tracker and the author of numerous books, including a series of Field Guides. Brown attributes his tracking skills and his spiritual philosophy to the teachings of a Lipan Apache elder named Stalking Wolf, who instructed Brown during his childhood. Brown refers to Stalking Wolf as "Grandfather" in his writings.

-----------------------

Tom Brown (n
More about Tom Brown Jr....