Start by marking “Collected Folk Tales” as Want to Read:
Collected Folk Tales

Collected Folk Tales

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Following on from the fiftieth anniversary of Alan Garner′s seminal fantasy classic, THE WEIRDSTONE OF BRISINGAMEN, this beautifully produced hardback collects all of Alan′s folk tales, told with his unique storytelling skill and inimitably clear voice. Essential reading for young and old alike, and a book to be treasured.

Among the stories collected here are:

Kate Crackernu
Published October 27th 2011 by HarperCollins Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Collected Folk Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collected Folk Tales

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyBeowulf by UnknownThe Once and Future King by T.H. WhiteAppalachia Mountain Folklore by Micheal Rivers12 Books in 1 by Andrew Lang
Mythology/Folklore
37th out of 201 books — 65 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Hobbit, or There and Back Again by J.R.R. TolkienThe Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer BradleyDaughter of the Forest by Juliet MarillierThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
The Best of Mythic Fiction
418th out of 427 books — 548 voters

More lists with this book...

Neil
"There was a hill that ate people," begins the first story. Just like that. "Far away, and a long time ago, on a high mountain, without trees for shelter, without body or arms for anything, on spindly legs, ran Great Head," begins another story. We are in the realm of folk tales, where we are told what happened, and we must simply go along with it.

There is something of the national treasure about Alan Garner. He has been writing excellent books for more than 50 years. He was, I suspect, the firs
Nikki
Lovely collection of folk stories from all over the world, all jumbled together in quite a lovely mix. There's old stories from time past knowing from Britain alongside the story of Rama and Sita, alongside the tales of the Norse gods. I'm sure there're probably criticisms of such a jumble of stories, but the fact that they can sit more or less easily together in this collection -- as easily as folk tales ever do sit, which isn't very -- says something about the way people tell stories, the same ...more
Neil
This book is not an entirely new collection from Garner nor is it his complete output of folk tales. Most of the pieces were originally published in 1969 under the title The Hamish Hamilton book of goblins which was later reprinted variously as: "A Book of Goblins" and "A Cavalcade of Goblins" which are all poor titles as the stories cover a wide range of topics only occasionally featuring Goblins.
Around a third of the present volume is made up of pieces that have never been collected before. T
Cassandra
Ok, I'm biased: I loved the author's books as a child and have reread them often as an adult. So when I saw this in the window of a local bookshop I stopped in my tracks. The book itself is beautiful, but what's inside is gold. From essays on faerie-folk and dark beasties, from strange, surreal Celtic voyages to dark and twisted poetry, Japanese tragedies and Native American fables, even a section of the Ramayana, every piece in this collection is valuable.

Anyone with a love of stories and story
Jeremy
These tales from around the globe hold a strange power; like the centuries of our collective unconscious unfurling or genetic remnants being stoked. Even the seemingly half-baked and nonsensical tales invoke a poetic surrealism. Garner honors some of native dialect and language, but they never get in the way. (The book looks gorgeous too, resembling a lost, magical tome.) The inclusion of the Ramayana and Nordic mythology was a bold move, yet the tales fit very well. Small narrative and lyrical ...more
Danny
There's something about folklores that scares me.... from the mischievous globins to cunning fairies, spiteful witches and wandering spirits. This book is a concoction of terror and imagined fears. Terrible idea for a bedtime read.
Annie
May 09, 2012 Annie added it
Having a tough time with this one, wish I hadn't bothered buying it. BUT it is the 100th book I've bought for our Kindles (just thought I'd make a little note about that.
Mid
This collection of beautifully told stories reminds us (those of us who grew up in the country, at least) of what it was like to hear these stories. I grew up in the 1980s and 1990s and I daresay most of the old country folk who told stories like these to me are dead, so it's Melancholy but reassuring to have them captured on paper.

As well as the very "spoken" diction, the brevity of these stories is notable. My favourite is "Faithful John" and it is only a few pages long. The stories of today
Trak
Now I have to be honest here I love fairy tales and origin stories. Two of most cherished books are a plain red cover hardback of Grimm’s fairy tales and the other is called ‘The Dreamtime’ which is Australian Indigenous stories. I have probably read both a couple hundred times and I am not kidding there. So when it comes to fairy tales I am a bit of a devotee and thus somewhat biased.
Alan Garner has collected a really interesting group of fairy tales from around the world.Garner’s collection
Clare
This is a book to dip into and it will reward deep reading rather than skating over the surface. Give it time and thoughts will rise up like "yeast" as Garner terms it at one point when describing reading folk tales. Many of these stories were new to me and had me racing to Lore of the Land - a folklore encyclopedia - to put still more meat on the bones. Incredibly inspiring - I could imagine many of the tales being worked as themes into longer works and they must have proved much of Garner's in ...more
Kit
I read this book for no better reason than "Neil made it sound really good." It was completely charming, and sent me back - in a pleasant way - to elementary school, and those chunky reading textbooks filled with the magic of story.

Beautiful and fun.
Tom Cameron
The Good:
An incredible and diverse selection of folk tales
Each folk tale 'feels' (and reads) like it was told to you by a different person
Some of the stories were actually chilling, and one in particular was quite sad.

The Bad:
Too short. Far too short.
Alan Garner raises the bar on how a folk tale should be written and far too many collections will fail to meet his level of excellence.
Paul
Wonderfully weird and often disturbing stories. I particularly enjoyed the first one (Gobbleknoll, which begins "There was a hill that ate people.") and The Goblin Spider, but the tales collected here are consistently fascinating and occasionally delightful.
Cass -  Words on Paper
- Bought for $5 at AllBooks4Less.com.au -

I LOVE hardcovers without flaps. This book is beautiful. The first story is about a hill that eats people. It's brief at only 2/3 pages but it's affecting.
Leona Wisoker
My review of this book, along with links to many other reviews of Garner's work, can be found here: http://sleepinghedgehog.com/2013/01/0...
Sonja Trbojevic
A wonderful addition to my collection of folk tales.
Wolf
Jan 21, 2014 Wolf is currently reading it
I was disappointed in how this book tasted.
Burning
Burning marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Lisl
Lisl marked it as to-read
Christina Moore
Christina Moore marked it as to-read
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Haley Petcher
Haley Petcher marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Natalia Porter
Natalia Porter marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Desirae Brown
Desirae Brown marked it as to-read
Malia
Malia marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Jenna
Jenna marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Charlotte Conley
Charlotte Conley marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
  • Enchanted Hunters: The Power of Stories in Childhood
  • The Annotated Brothers Grimm (Annotated Books)
  • Angela Carter's Book of Fairy Tales
  • Forbidden Journeys: Fairy Tales and Fantasies by Victorian Women Writers
  • Brewer's Rogues, Villains & Eccentrics: An A-Z of Roguish Britons Through the Ages
  • Italian Folktales
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
  • Favorite Folktales from Around the World (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales
  • Norwegian Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • The Annotated Hans Christian Andersen
  • The Sorcerer's House
  • The Interpretation of Fairy Tales
  • Japanese Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Mythologies
  • Fairy Tales and the Art of Subversion: The Classical Genre for Children and the Process of Civilization
  • Irish Myths and Legends
Alan Garner OBE (born 17 October 1934) is an English novelist who is best known for his children's fantasy novels and his retellings of traditional British folk tales. His work is firmly rooted in the landscape, history and folklore of his native county of Cheshire, North West England, being set in the region and making use of the native Cheshire dialect.

Born into a working-class family in Conglet
More about Alan Garner...
The Weirdstone of Brisingamen (Tales of Alderley, #1) The Owl Service Elidor The Moon of Gomrath (Tales of Alderley, #2) Red Shift