Start by marking “An Officer and a Gentlewoman” as Want to Read:
An Officer and a Gentlewoman

An Officer and a Gentlewoman

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When Heloise Goodley decided to attend officer training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, she had no prior military experience. 'An Officer and a Gentlewoman' charts Goodley's absorbing journey as she gives an insight into the array of bizarre military behaviours and customs at this esoteric and hidden institution."
Published January 1st 2012 by Constable

To ask other readers questions about An Officer and a Gentlewoman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Officer and a Gentlewoman

Christine Blachford
I’ve always been a bit intrigued by the army – not for military or war reasons, but more for the self-contained way of life. Along with bunkers and islands, the ghost villages of Salisbury and the fenced in housing estates of Tidworth have always captured my attention. Plus, tanks are cool.

So, I was intrigued to pick up this book during the festive sale on Amazon. The story of one woman’s journey through officer training at Sandhurst. Giving up a high-flying career in London’s Square Mile, Heloi...more
Gill
Jun 05, 2012 Gill rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gill by: review in the Independent
Heloise Goodley left her lucrative City career to join the Army, and the book details her officer training at Sandhurst. She remains a serving officer, so this is far from an unexpurgated warts-and-all portrait. It provides an insight into training only; despite a couple of teasers, there's no follow-up into her operational career which (according to the dustjacket) includes two tours of Afghanistan.

Unfortunately the book is also marred by poor editing, with awkward sentences, homophone errors a...more
Emily
An interesting and thought-provoking read, especially to someone with an insight of joining the British Army as an officer and even more so to members of that group who are female. I fall into this relatively small category and can say that although the book shed some light on aspects of life at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, it merely repeated what I have previously read in other books (such as The Junior Officers' Reading Club) and various documentaries.

While Goodley gives us a thorough...more
Redfox5
It's always interesting to read about life behind that barbed wire fence. I don't get much of an opportunity to go there now. When I was little, there was always an endless stream of Army kids inviting you to their house and I always struggled to understand the rules in there. We were not allowed to cross certain roads or go to certain places which is hard for a kid because that place is full of cool places kids want to explore.

I certainly couldn't have done what Héloise has done, given up her...more
Kazimiera pendrey
this was a great read a real behind the scenes view of oficer training at sandhurst i enjoyed this very much
Parita
Goodley left a job in the city to face the challenges of the army. This story is about her transformation from a civilian to a soldier, a dairy that won a medal from her training days. With all due respect to her bringing out the good and the bad of a highly guarded world, I was a little disappointed about not hearing the Afghanistan side of the story. Details of her combat story appear to my dry and repetitive in the sense that the reader gets it that it’s all tough…very tough, but beyond that,...more
Clare Mason
Brilliant, funny, informative and made me very very glad that was not a career option for me. But it gave me insight into what my sister went through and confirmed that I am totally soft...which I am very very happy about.

Couldn't recommend this more highly.
Gerald Sinstadt
Heloise Goodley had a well-paid job in a City bank but was unfulfilled. Almost on an impulse, she joined the army and found herself as a trainee officer at Sandhurst. While there she kept a diary which became the basis for this book.

It is a straightforward account of twelve hard months - dawn parades, hectoring instructors, inspections and exercises to the point of exhaustion and beyond. At times the author questions the relevance of her training to the role of the army today but she does not do...more
Mark K.Astley
Not a great deal of further insight into what happens at the world famous army training college - Sandhurst. Almost a bit too contrived in places.. However, towards the end it has a more heartfelt quality and became more real. An ideal read for mothers and fathers to understand what happens to their children when they go for military officer training. An easy and reasonable read.
Alla
I liked this book. Heloise Goodley went from her fat-paycheck-City-job to the perils of UK Army in her quest for "something real in life". And through exhaustion, pain, sleep-deprivation she got out of Sandhurst an Officer of the Royal Brithish Army.
Chu
May 25, 2012 Chu rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Not earthshattering, only about boot camp. This has been done before, it would have been nicer to have the Afghanistan story.
Johanne
Interesting insight into army life let down by poor proofing (kindle edition)
Briony Wickenden
Briony Wickenden marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2014
Francisco Estrada
Francisco Estrada marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Ellie Steele
Ellie Steele marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Judith
Judith marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Ian May
Ian May marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Ms Aileen H Petrie
Ms Aileen H Petrie marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Marta
Marta marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
When Héloïse Goodley quit her job as a City banker in 2007 and decided to attend officer training at the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst, she had no prior military experience.

Since joining the Army, Héloïse Goodley has completed two operational tours of Afghanistan and currently holds the rank of captain as adjutant of an Apache helicopter regiment.
More about Heloise Goodley...