Start by marking “Once Upon a Time in Baghdad” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Time in Baghdad

Once Upon a Time in Baghdad

Captain Abdul Hassan from the US-established Iraqi Commandos Force thought that he had the biggest arrest of his life when his squad nabbed a legendary terrorist, a psychopath who made Ben Laden look like Mary Poppins. It didn't take the captain long to realize that he was in the middle of one of the deadliest attacks Baghdad ever witnessed. A race against time began to de ...more
Published October 15th 2011 by Barbed Wires Publications (first published August 16th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Time in Baghdad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Time in Baghdad

Jan 27, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
This is one of those books that gets under your skin and stays there. It's fascinating. It's brutal. It's eye opening. And, perhaps most importantly, it gets you - and keeps you - thinking.

There are multiple story lines all weaving and cutting across one another, but don't give up. Everything converges and comes to a head in a way that makes you go "Wow...I did NOT see that coming". Just when you think you have it all figured out, well, you sure about that?

After having read The Detour, also by M
Karl Ny
Jan 18, 2012 Karl Ny rated it it was amazing
Once Upon A Time In Baghdad

One of the most curious reading experience I ever had. It started slow at the first 30 pages or so, then it picked up a speed in an amazing way that forced me to stay home for the whole weekend to finish it. When I did, I felt like I am still there in Baghdad living with the characters and anticipating the bombing.

A wonderful plot and so vivid pictures. Very very recommended reading.

The story started with a captain in the commandos forces arriving late at the scene of
I won this book on a first reads giveaway. I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but it looked at least mildly interesting. It ended up being quite good, although I found it a bit difficult to read because of the unfamiliar names and foreign writing style.

This book appears to aim at educating Americans about some of the best and worst things going on in Iraq following the American invasion in 2003. It seems to take a fairly objective view on the invasion and subsequent social, cultural, and politi
So far this one is pretty darn grim, but it does make me realize just how happy I am to live in the middle of a swamp in Florida surrounding by nothing more hazardous than snakes and gators.
Mar 03, 2012 Terry rated it really liked it
Very good plot. One of the best, just when I thought I figured everything out, another surprise came.
Robert rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Margaret Cochran
Margaret Cochran rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2013
Rana Al-Sabbagh
Rana Al-Sabbagh rated it it was amazing
Jul 06, 2015
Charles Lynch
Charles Lynch rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2015
Adnan alomairi
Adnan alomairi rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2011
Don rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2012
Chris rated it really liked it
May 09, 2012
Zainab Al-maqdisi
Zainab Al-maqdisi rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2014
Margery rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2012
Oct 20, 2011 I.M. rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Altaf rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2013
Francesco Porru
Francesco Porru rated it liked it
May 19, 2013
Jenice rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2011
I.M.Hussaini is an Iraqi novelist and human rights activist. He worked as a reporter in Iraq and the Middle East during the war that ended Sadam’s regime by the US-led collation. I.M. Hussaini is the author of the controversial series of Edward Fleming that attempts to bring to light the stories behind the scene of the new Arab revolt and discuss tabooed details from the Islamic history of the reg ...more
More about I.M. Hussaini...