Start by marking “Midnight in Death (In Death, #7.5)” as Want to Read:
Midnight in Death (In Death, #7.5)

Midnight in Death (In Death #7.5)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  14,971 Ratings  ·  475 Reviews

The number-one New York Times bestselling In Death series explodes with intrigue, passion, and suspense.  Now, Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb, propels you into the darkest night of Lieutenant Eve Dallas's life...when a killer comes to call...

Eve's name has made a Christmas list, but it's not for being naughty or nice.  It's for putting a serial killer behind bars.  No

Mass Market Paperback, 90 pages
Published September 27th 2005 by Berkley (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Midnight in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Midnight in Death

♥Sharon♥
Jan 05, 2017 ♥Sharon♥ rated it really liked it

Picking up where #7 left off this was a perfect extension of that book.

LOVED Roarke
LOVED Eve

I'm still enjoying all the side characters too.

Feeney and his bags of nuts. Got to love the guy.
Peabody and her dry humor. She is the perfect partner for Eve.
McNabb is new and I like him. I'm figuring he will get tangled up with Peabody. But I could be wrong.
Dr. Mira is wonderful. I love their relationship.
Mavis wasn't in this one but is her BFF and these two couldn't be any more different which is pe
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Well Deserved Stars

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are very few authors whose novellas I enjoy. Most of the time they seem incomplete or uninteresting. I'm happy to say that JD Robb didn't disappoint on that aspect of her writing.

This novella was just as good as her full novels. The story was cohesive, the mystery interesting and the killer worthy of attention. This author can really do no wrong.
Phrynne
Aug 01, 2016 Phrynne rated it it was amazing
Short but sweet novella which picks up immediately from where the last book finished. Poor Eve and Roarke seem to have every holiday disrupted by yet another murder! Not that they let it get them down. They still manage to enjoy some very close moments in between the police work.
I really enjoyed this little taste of In Death land and it left me keen to get on with the next book:)
Mo
Oct 19, 2016 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a novella, but read like a longer book. Enjoyed it. Took up straight after the previous book finished. Eve and Roarke ... what's not to love?

For a moment that was all there was. The taste of him, the feel of him pressed against her, the need they created in each other time after time erupting inside her.

"We don't have a thing for New Year's, do we? No party or anything?"

LOL. Love how Eve is not the party animal ... my kind of girl.

"You're what I want, Eve, the woman who leaves
Lauren
Midnight in Death
4 Stars

The first novella of the series, Midnight in Death begins in the aftermath of the events of Holiday in Death when a killer from Eve's past escapes and begins taking revenge on those he holds responsible for his conviction. He starts with the judge and prosecutor, but it is Eve who is his ultimate target.

A solid and comprehensive read, but it fails to answer some of the questions left unanswered after last book; especially the aftermath of the attack on Peabody, which is
Elvan
Jun 06, 2010 Elvan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, audiobooks
One of the few novellas I like to reread. Three serial killers in a row but this book is different than the others. Eve knows how Daved Palmer operates so she goes into this murder(s) better prepared. I kind of like Palmer for his evil creative mind. What is really impressive is how much crime solving and action occurs in only 10 chapters. Above all, we see the mother/daughter relationship developing between Eve and Dr. Mira. Good stuff!
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Posted on Under the Covers

Eve is on someone’s Christmas list....

Didn’t matter that book was shorter than all the rest. The fact is that Robb has written a damn good story with just a quarter of the word count. Not many authors can pull off novellas, but J.D. Robb can.

This story takes place right after the previous one where the Christmas holidays are in full spring. But Eve and Roarke can’t enjoy it because a man who Eve had the pleasure to catch before has escaped and is killing once again. Bu
Feb 19, 2017 Laura rated it really liked it
In typical novella fashion this enfolded at a lightning pace, with a too quick wrap up. I enjoyed the mystery, and I believe it was full book worthy.
Lizzy
Oct 16, 2015 Lizzy rated it liked it
** 2.5/3 stars **
Probably this is not the first time I'm going to say that I don't really enjoy novellas. In my opinion, what happens is that the plot has to be worked out very fast and the overall deliverance is compromised. That being said, I still enjoyed Midnight in Death, it was a fairly good plot with enough angst. But it was just one more crime story that Eve had to solve with the help of her team. As often is the case in the In Death series, the crimes were very close to Eve and she ha
İlkim
Jul 13, 2012 İlkim rated it it was amazing
Kısa bir romandı ama yine de gayet iyiydi. Eve ve Roarke ikilisine her kitapla daha da bağlanıyorum. Burada biraz Jane-Hoyt ilişkisi sezdim. Eve'in üç yıl önce hapse tıktığı psikopat bir bilim adamı hapisten kaçıyor ve davasındaki tüm görevlileri tek tek aynı şekilde öldürmeye başlıyor ama amacı Eve'e ulaşıp onda deneyler yapmak. Takıntılı yani. Ayrıca Dr. Mira da onun davasında doktor olduğu için onu da kaçırıyor. Kurgu ilginizi çektiyse hemen okuyun derim.
Anastasia
Jun 14, 2016 Anastasia rated it it was amazing
Midnight in Death by J.D.Robb is a short novella in the In Death series set after Holiday in Death. A serial killer whom Eve had captured 3 years earlier has escaped and is targeting those responsible for his conviction. Another terrific addition to the series with all the usual characters and plenty of sizzling romance.
Su
Feb 10, 2017 Su rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-mystery
Short-story que serviu essencialmente para matar saudades dos personagens.
Susan
Eve is not going to let one madman ruin her Christmas so she and Roarke pool their resources in this short to put him back into the loony bin. Fast pace with a punch.
Aly is so frigging bored
1st Read December 2012
2nd Read November 2014
Roos
Dec 18, 2016 Roos rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knap hoe zo'n korte novelle je toch volledig in spanning houdt. Ik vond alleen de uiteindelijke ontknoping te gehaast
Books-treasureortrash
Dec 24, 2010 Books-treasureortrash rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Book Review: 2 Treasure Boxes

In this story Eve knows who the murderer is and who the potential victims are, but she does not know where he is. So the race is on to locate him before he kills anyone else on his list. Both Eve and Doctor Mira, Eve's mother figure who works as a profiler for the police department, are on his list. It is always interesting to read Eve as she tracks down her suspects. The story becomes very suspenceful towards the end and has a very satisfying conclusion.

This is a st
Yz the Whyz
Sep 11, 2010 Yz the Whyz rated it really liked it
Shelves: jd-robb, 2010-reads
A 3-hour audiobook, and I got my fix of Eve and Roarke. Due to its length, there is not much character development, and the story took off immediately. Eve has to catch an escaped serial killer who is out to get all the people involved in catching him in the first place. Has some suspenseful parts, and slightly gory with some of the torture details.

Here we see how much Mira means to Eve, and of course, Eve and Roarke's ever growing relationship. As usual, I love visiting JD Robb's In Death world
Sheila
May 08, 2012 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is Roarke and Eve's first Christmas together and the house is beautifully decorated but things don't go quite as planned when a serial killer that Eve had put behind bars escapes and comes after her and everyone associated with his trial. I love this series and am slowing making my way through a very long list of books. ★★★★
Poonam
A short read Midnight in death starts just after 6 hrs of Holiday in death case is sorted out. Eve already knows the killer as soon as she takes on the case (an escaped convict she had put behind bars 3 yrs back)
The story is a build up of the chase and has torturous murders -described in explicit detail.
Dee
Two-haiku review:

Torture-murderer
Escapes off-planet prison
To get back at Eve.

Personal for Eve.
She must separate her mind
From her emotions.

First read 2010, re-read 10/13, free kindle edition. Another haiku:

Christmas novella
Short, but complete and perfect
How does she do that?
Xiki71
Jul 20, 2015 Xiki71 rated it liked it
Está bastante bien. Más cortito que los demás pero al ser un relato esto es algo que se espera. Me encantan las formas que tiene Eve de demostrar a la gente su afecto, es especial a Mira que no sabe que hacer con ella.
Recomendable si seguís la serie.
Anita
Dec 26, 2016 Anita rated it really liked it
Eve must find an escaped psycho she put away 3 years ago before he completes his Christmas List of death.
Célia
Midnight in Death é uma novela pertencente a esta série que foi originalmente publicada na antologia Silent Night . Cronologicamente, começa de imediato a seguir aos acontecimentos de Holiday in Death e tem uma nuance em relação aos anteriores livros da série, no que se refere ao caso policial: desta vez, Eve já sabe quem é o assassino, assim que aparece a primeira vítima.

De facto, este “pequeno” caso policial está relacionado com um caso que Eve havia resolvido anos antes. David Palmer, o homi
Sally906
Feb 26, 2011 Sally906 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
MIDNIGHT IN DEATH is the first of two ‘In Death’ series novelettes that I read over the weekend, both were quick and easy reading, and both were very good.

The story jumps right into the action as Eve Dallas is called to investigate a body that has been dumped in Times Square just after Christmas. The victim is Judge Wainger and he had been brutally tortured before being killed. Attached to the body is a note with a list of who the murderer is going to kill. Eve’s name is last on the list. All th
Amy A
Jul 25, 2011 Amy A rated it it was amazing
Shelves: in-death-series
I liked this little novella. I almost wish Midnight in Death and Holiday in Death had switched places. I liked seeing the results of one of Eve's cases. I mean so far we've seen her catch the killer(s), but we've not seen anything happen after-the-fact. This book picks up immediately after Holiday In Death. We are still dealing with Christmas and we are taken into the new year. it kind of signifys things ending and everything kind of starting over. Like I said I would have liked to have seen thi ...more
Connie N.
#7.5 in the In Death series, capably read by Susan Ericksen.

This was a nice little episode to continue with the holiday season. It's amazing that Robb can create a full-bodied story in less than 100 pages, and still leave the reader (or listener) satisfied. Another serial murderer has emerged, only a few hours after the last case was solved. It's still Christmas, and Eve is called again to find the killer of a man whose body is dumped in the middle of the ice rink at Rockefeller Center. This is
Catherine
It felt like we got a more concentrated focus on Eve's feelings and attachments to certain people than we usually do. I liked the change up of Eve already knowing who the bad guy was. I read this book mostly because I wanted to see the Christmas gift exchanges that we missed in Holiday in Death. I would have liked to see it in the moment, but hearing about it after the fact was better than nothing. I loved the bits with McNab and Peabody and liked that we got to see a lot of Mira. I'm not a huge ...more
Nancy Steinle gummel
Midnight in Death by Nora Roberts writing as J.D. Robb is another great book in the Eve Dallas and Roarke series. This time around a criminally insane man whom Eve had captured three and a half years previously escapes from the prison station off earth. He proceeds to torture then kill the judge that tried his case. One of the lawyers is next. Then David Palmer out thinks Eve and captures her friend Mira, the psychologist who reviewed the case and profiled David Palmer. Eve has David permit Mira ...more
Kathleen S
Aug 07, 2016 Kathleen S rated it really liked it
Midnight in Death is another of the I Death novellas which I skipped when I started to read - or mostly listen to - the series. And it is one of the more successful novellas. The plot has more depth than the earlier novellas with the story line nicely fitting into the structure of a shorter novel. This novella was originally part of a multi author Christmas anthology.

It is the first minutes of Christmas Day and Eve has another death on her hands. Roarke and her trusty crew try to find the murder
Kirsten *Make Margaret Atwood Fiction Again!"
I don't know how I managed never to read this one (or did I just forget it completely?). But I have rectified that error.

This novella was one of her better ones. I really liked it. It's fairly early in the series before a lot of stuff has happened. It's nice to see that stage in the relationship.

This novella has a good chunk of the Eve Dallas-Dr Mira relationship which I always like to see. The villain gets a B+ in terms of evil.

One nice thing about this series is the attention to procedure. A
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.6)
  • Mine at Midnight
  • After Glow (Ghost Hunters, #2)
  • Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2)
  • All Through the Night (Troubleshooters, #12)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Kill and Tell (CIA Spies, #1)
  • In Too Deep (Arcane Society, #10; Looking Glass Trilogy, #1)
  • Entwined (The Ten, #1)
  • If You See Her (The Ash Trilogy, #2)
  • Sense of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #6)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Echoes in Death, on sale February 2017, is the 44th ent ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

“The huge cat, Galahad, was draped over the back of Eve’s sleep chair like a drunk over a bar at last call. Since he’d spent several hours the night before attacking boxes, fighting with ribbon, and murdering discarded wrapping paper, she left him where he was so he could sleep it off.” 3 likes
“liber” 0 likes