Start by marking “Execution: The Guillotine, the Pendulum, the Thousand Cuts, the Spanish Donkey, and 66 Other Ways of Putting Someone to Death” as Want to Read:

In his own darkly humorous style, Geoffrey Abbott describes the instruments used and their effectiveness and reveals the macabre origins of familiar phrases such as “gone west” or “drawn a blank,” as well as the jargon of the underworld. He covers everything from the preparation of the victim to the disposal of the body. Execution is everything you ever wanted to know abou ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Execution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Execution

Jennie
Jun 11, 2007 Jennie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Goth kids, history nerds
Sometimes I think that not everyone shares my macabre sense of humor, and then I feel slightly bad about laughing out loud while reading books like this in public. In my defense, this book is written in a darkly humorous tone, so it's hard not to laugh.

Execution: The Guillotine, the Pendulum, the Thousand Cuts, the Spanish Donkey, and 66 Other Ways of Putting Someone to Death, by Geoffrey Abbott, is broken into 70 small sections, each with a different method of execution. Abbott describes each m
Amber
May 18, 2016 Amber rated it it was ok
Overwhelmingly disappointing.

For one, Abbot focuses mainly on executions used in Europe, mainly Spain, France, and England. China is mentioned in one entry: Death by a Thousand Cuts with, admittedly, quite a bit of detail. The United States is also mentioned in the more modern methods, gas chamber, lethal injection, etc. But outside a few throw away lines about "tribes in Africa", Abbott has very little on the methods of execution in South America, Asia, Africa, Australia or really anywhere tha
Keith
Sep 13, 2012 Keith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
There were many parts of this book that were fascinating, unfortunately there were also many segments that went on for way too long. For example, they might spend 30-50 pages describing the guillotine and giving examples of when it was used, and then spend only a paragraph on some really interesting form of execution. Part of this is because more is known about forms of death like the guillotine and hanging than some of the more interesting ones, but that just means the book should be shorter. S ...more
Shanna
Sep 23, 2007 Shanna rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Macabre
I cannot believe some of the ways in which society has chosen to dispatch its unwanted members. This book is an incredibly well researched, albiet disturbing list of the many methods of torture and execution used all over the globe.

So far, it is proving to be an excellent read, but I can really only read portions every once in awhile-it's not really the book that I can imagine tearing through in one sitting...
Hel
Oct 08, 2015 Hel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eesch. Yes, this book is exactly what you think it is. You know how people can make just about any awesome thing they can think of? Well, they can make any terrible thing too.
It was a good and interesting read though, apart from the copious grammatical and other errors (Raleigh, North Virginia, I ask you?)
P.
Apr 02, 2008 P. rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Macabre teens/Goths?/History fans
66 awful ways people were executed. It is appallingly graphic. The author was a Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London and lived with his wife on the grounds. His is a very chatty, informal style and he includes personal opinions and jocular remarks in the work. He does a nice job of estimating how many miscreants were burnt alive, guillotined, etc.
Diana
Apr 28, 2012 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: history, nonfiction
An encyclopedic look at the various ways that people have been executed throughout history.

I've always been a little bit morbid, so this was right up my alley. I enjoyed it for the most part, although it does get a little dry with certain entries, as the first-hand accounts get a little boring at times.
Jennifer Daniel
Oct 29, 2008 Jennifer Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am so deranged! I was fascinated by the more obscure means of execution such as being sewn up in a donkey corpse and left in the sun to rot. The human mind apparently has no limit to the creativity of killing one and other.
Marisa
Oct 18, 2011 Marisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, little read that runs the gamut and really covers alot of truly horrible ways to die as well as some high points(?) during the type of execution. This book provides a wealth of information, background and brings love some of the people that either lived or died by the methods covered
Lindsey
Jun 14, 2015 Lindsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book a bit annoying, he dwelt way too much on the methods we already know a lot about, and too little on the things we aren't as familiar with. I didn't find it necessary to know the history of each executioner, and what they had for breakfast.
For anyone who's ever been fascinated with or mildly amused by the various and real historical methods by which people met their ends. The chapters are short. It's a dip-able book. Much easier to digest than that horrible "1000 Ways To Die" television program!
Ian Mathers
Overly dry at times, overly repetitive at others, and sometimes he forgets to explain things I'd really love him to explain, but still interesting reading.
Margaret
Mar 31, 2008 Margaret rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-read
This book was weird, creepy, and hilarious. Check it out.
Tom
Sep 29, 2011 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Light reading. Proves the point that we aren't as civilized as we like to claim.
Becky
Jun 21, 2007 Becky rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as interesting as I had hoped. Too much detail on the things we've heard about, and not enough on the lesser-known ones.
Mike
Feb 01, 2008 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super entertaining and quite informative! "Essential reading for all gore junkies" pretty much says it all.
Dec 28, 2007 Jennifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Just got this for Christmas...sort of an inside-family-joke thing.
Jeni
Jul 27, 2010 Jeni added it
Recommends it for: history buffs & fans of the macabre
It was really interesting. I love reading/learning about different historical eras. It was interesting to finally understand the punishments I have so often read about.
Tim Knight
Jul 17, 2011 Tim Knight rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A truly enlightening book on how we've managed to kill off undesirables in our societies. In a macabre way, an enjoyable book.
Linda Collier
Linda Collier rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Tyran
Tyran rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2008
Matthew
Matthew rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Dawn
Dawn rated it really liked it
May 12, 2014
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Jun 10, 2015
SerialReader
SerialReader rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Niki
Niki rated it really liked it
May 06, 2013
Tara Fleming
Tara Fleming rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2011
Miranda
Miranda rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2011
  • The Day of St. Anthony's Fire
  • 5 People Who Died During Sex: and 100 Other Terribly Tasteless Lists
  • The Rejection Collection Vol. 2: The Cream of the Crap
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Paranormal
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: I Can't Believe My Dog Did That!: 101 Stories about the Crazy Antics of Our Canine Companions
  • Uncle John's Presents: The Book of the Dumb
  • Hubert's Freaks: The Rare-Book Dealer, the Times Square Talker, and the Lost Photos of Diane Arbus
  • The Whole Death Catalog: A Lively Guide to the Bitter End
  • Curses! Broiled Again!
  • A Step Farther Out
  • 1001 Things Everyone Should Know About Science
  • Thinning the Herd: Tales Of The Weirdly Departed
Geoffrey Abbott served for many years as a Yeoman Warder at the Tower of London. Author of nineteen books and contributor to the Encyclopaedia Britannica/, he has made numerous television appearances. He lives in London.
More about Geoffrey Abbott...