Start by marking “The Indigo Girls” as Want to Read:
The Indigo Girls

The Indigo Girls (Girlfriend Fiction #2)

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  212 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Two girls, one summer, and a whole lot to learn from each other

Zara's an alpha—the first letter of the Greek alphabet. She's popular. I'm more like one of the obscure letters in the middle that no one's ever heard of—an omicron or something.

Zara, Tilly, and Mieke go to different schools and live in different social worlds. But for two weeks every summer they're the Indigo
Published June 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin (first published February 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Indigo Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indigo Girls

Judith
Allen and Unwin have just launched a new series of fiction for teenage girls under the Girlfriend Fiction banner. Girlfriend is a magazine ostensibly for teenage girls—which means it's probably mostly read by tweens or girls in early adolescence, which makes me wonder a little about the audience for the new series.

I've read one of the first to be released (there will be eight per year), The Indigo Girls by Penni Russon, and it's good! Certainly a cut above what you might expect of a magazine tie
Emily
Jan 29, 2009 Emily rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ALL Teenage Girls
Recommended to Emily by: Allen&Unwin Publishers
Get book I carnt wait to read the rest of the girlfrind fiction books.
I reckon this book was really good shows two different personalities that are "Same, Same, But Different." If you know what I mean.
Deborah
if I tried to describe the plot, it might sound like lots of other YA novels - and I guess in many ways it is. the central characters are teenagers; they're dealing with issues in their families, with their friends, with self-image and identity - yet Penni Russon's writing makes this one of the most unexpected books I've read.

the characters develop and interact in ways I didn't expect, and the plot twists avoid the obvious. there's a great sense of place. the girls' voices and characters are di
Mands
The Indigo Girls by Penni Russon is set in the fictional suburb of Indigo Bay. Each year Zara, Tilly and Mieke go camping with their families and they spend the summer together. This year, Mieke is delayed for a week, and both Zara and Tilly are worried about how they will go hanging out just the two of them, as they are very different girls.

I loved both Zara and Tilly. Tilly is the eldest child and admits to be being bossy and always wanting to be in charge. But she’s also honest and doesn’t fe
Alisha
May 09, 2014 Alisha rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers
Shelves: books-i-own
Actually 3.5 stars.

This is a wonderful story of friendship, finding oneself (identity) and learning about love.

It follows one summer of friends, Zara and Tilly. This summer things are different. The girls are different, they are each battling identity issues, Tilly may be falling in love, and Zara is hiding something huge. Plus they are both worried about how to interact with the other given that their other friend Mieke isn't going to be there for another week - she's usually the buffer to Za
Tina
The tie-in with Girlfriend magazine made me think the worst - that this'd be another schmaltzy teenage puff piece - but I was pleasently suprised! This is a well crafted, interesting story. The characters have real depth and the storyline is completely believable.
Tash
I REALLY liked this book! Something that i would recommend!!
You really feel that you become a part of the characters' lives knowing anything and everything about them. It was a book for me, hard to put down :)
Jessi
Wow, all I can say is wow. It's a true frendship story and its just amazing! I love how both the girls changed so dramatically! Penni Russon is in my top 5 fave authors, this book is definitely a must read!
Marie Davies
A sweet and brilliantly crafted teen novel that is just the kind of book you should read whilst hanging out at the beach with your friends.
Meaghan Mallia
1st April 2012
Laura added it
Apr 26, 2015
Ana Lelis
Ana Lelis marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Lucija
Lucija added it
Mar 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • She's with the Band
  • My Life and Other Catastrophes (Girlfriend Fiction, #1)
  • Dear Swoosie (Girlfriend Fiction, #17)
  • The Sweet Life (Girlfriend Fiction, #7)
  • Step Up and Dance
  • Cassie (Girlfriend Fiction, #8)
  • The Zigzag Effect
  • Fifteen Love
  • The Boy/Friend (Girlfriend Fiction, #19)
  • Finding Freia Lockhart
  • Saltwater Vampires
  • Brown Skin Blue
  • Alex As Well
  • Losing It
  • Mahalia
  • Head of the River
  • You Don't Even Know

Girlfriend Fiction (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • My Life and Other Catastrophes (Girlfriend Fiction, #1)
  • She's with the Band
  • Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4)
  • The Not Quite Perfect Boyfriend
  • Step Up and Dance
  • The Sweet Life (Girlfriend Fiction, #7)
  • Cassie (Girlfriend Fiction, #8)
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • Winter of Grace (Girlfriend Fiction, #10)
  • Something More (Girlfriend Fiction, #11)
Undine Breathe Only Ever Always Little Bird (Girlfriend Fiction, #13) Drift (Undine, #3)