Start by marking “The Indigo Girls” as Want to Read:
The Indigo Girls

The Indigo Girls (Girlfriend Fiction #2)

Two girls, one summer, and a whole lot to learn from each other

Zara's an alpha—the first letter of the Greek alphabet. She's popular. I'm more like one of the obscure letters in the middle that no one's ever heard of—an omicron or something.

Zara, Tilly, and Mieke go to different schools and live in different social worlds. But for two weeks every summer they're the Indig
Published June 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin (first published February 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Indigo Girls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Indigo Girls

Judith
Feb 25, 2008 Judith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allen and Unwin have just launched a new series of fiction for teenage girls under the Girlfriend Fiction banner. Girlfriend is a magazine ostensibly for teenage girls—which means it's probably mostly read by tweens or girls in early adolescence, which makes me wonder a little about the audience for the new series.

I've read one of the first to be released (there will be eight per year), The Indigo Girls by Penni Russon, and it's good! Certainly a cut above what you might expect of a magazine tie
Emily
Jan 29, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ALL Teenage Girls
Recommended to Emily by: Allen&Unwin Publishers
Get book I carnt wait to read the rest of the girlfrind fiction books.
I reckon this book was really good shows two different personalities that are "Same, Same, But Different." If you know what I mean.
Deborah
Jun 17, 2012 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, girlfriend
if I tried to describe the plot, it might sound like lots of other YA novels - and I guess in many ways it is. the central characters are teenagers; they're dealing with issues in their families, with their friends, with self-image and identity - yet Penni Russon's writing makes this one of the most unexpected books I've read.

the characters develop and interact in ways I didn't expect, and the plot twists avoid the obvious. there's a great sense of place. the girls' voices and characters are di
Mands
The Indigo Girls by Penni Russon is set in the fictional suburb of Indigo Bay. Each year Zara, Tilly and Mieke go camping with their families and they spend the summer together. This year, Mieke is delayed for a week, and both Zara and Tilly are worried about how they will go hanging out just the two of them, as they are very different girls.

I loved both Zara and Tilly. Tilly is the eldest child and admits to be being bossy and always wanting to be in charge. But she’s also honest and doesn’t fe
Alisha Brook
May 08, 2012 Alisha Brook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teenagers
Shelves: 3andahalf-stars
Actually 3.5 stars.

This is a wonderful story of friendship, finding oneself (identity) and learning about love.

It follows one summer of friends, Zara and Tilly. This summer things are different. The girls are different, they are each battling identity issues, Tilly may be falling in love, and Zara is hiding something huge. Plus they are both worried about how to interact with the other given that their other friend Mieke isn't going to be there for another week - she's usually the buffer to Za
Radford Secondary Library
Zara, Tilly and Mieke go to different schools and live in different social worlds. But for two weeks every summer they're the Indigo Girls - surfing, bushwalking, or just hanging out at the campground or he nearby resort. This year Mieke doesn't show up, and Zara and Tilly - the queen bee and the geek - are left circling each other, unsure how to relate without Mieke in the middle. Soon it becomes a summer of change and a summer of secrets; a summer for losing themselves but finding each other.
Jessi
Mar 02, 2011 Jessi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: top-faves
Wow, all I can say is wow. It's a true frendship story and its just amazing! I love how both the girls changed so dramatically! Penni Russon is in my top 5 fave authors, this book is definitely a must read!
Tash
Jun 10, 2012 Tash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I REALLY liked this book! Something that i would recommend!!
You really feel that you become a part of the characters' lives knowing anything and everything about them. It was a book for me, hard to put down :)
Tina
Jan 29, 2011 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The tie-in with Girlfriend magazine made me think the worst - that this'd be another schmaltzy teenage puff piece - but I was pleasently suprised! This is a well crafted, interesting story. The characters have real depth and the storyline is completely believable.
Courtney
This book was pretty good but I didn't really like Tilly's story. I liked and understood Zara's but not Tilly's.
Marie Davies
Sep 13, 2013 Marie Davies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-fiction-oz-nz
A sweet and brilliantly crafted teen novel that is just the kind of book you should read whilst hanging out at the beach with your friends.
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Mar 30, 2013
Hajeong
Hajeong rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Meaghan Mallia
people said it wasn't worth reading so i didn't actually get past chapter 1
Pedro
Pedro rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2016
Truc Pham
Truc Pham rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Adiba
Adiba rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2009
Jazz
Jazz rated it it was ok
Feb 02, 2016
Darcie
Darcie rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Becca
Becca rated it really liked it
Nov 27, 2013
Jaime M
Jaime M rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2011
Rebeccadanielle
Rebeccadanielle rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Jolie
Jolie rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2012
Laura rated it it was ok
Nov 03, 2013
Master Maind
Master Maind rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Namitha Ann
Namitha Ann rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2014
Jemima
Jemima rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2012
Kayla
Kayla rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2012
Tegan
Tegan rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • She's with the Band
  • Dear Swoosie (Girlfriend Fiction, #17)
  • My Life and Other Catastrophes (Girlfriend Fiction, #1)
  • The Sweet Life (Girlfriend Fiction, #7)
  • Step Up and Dance
  • Cassie (Girlfriend Fiction, #8)
  • The Boy/Friend (Girlfriend Fiction, #19)
  • Fifteen Love
  • The Reluctant Hallelujah
  • Jarvis 24
  • After
  • The Hush

Girlfriend Fiction (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • My Life and Other Catastrophes (Girlfriend Fiction, #1)
  • She's with the Band
  • Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4)
  • The Not Quite Perfect Boyfriend
  • Step Up and Dance
  • The Sweet Life (Girlfriend Fiction, #7)
  • Cassie (Girlfriend Fiction, #8)
  • Bookmark Days (Girlfriend Fiction, #9)
  • Winter of Grace (Girlfriend Fiction, #10)
  • Something More (Girlfriend Fiction, #11)