Start by marking “Jacob's Wound: Homoerotic Narrative in the Literature of Ancient Israel” as Want to Read:
Jacob's Wound: Homoerotic Narrative in the Literature of Ancient Israel

Jacob's Wound: Homoerotic Narrative in the Literature of Ancient Israel

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  13 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The very suggestion that there may be homoeroticism in Hebrew narrative may seem odd given the supposition that the religion and culture of ancient Israel resolutely opposed same sex erotic relationships. The apparent prohibition of homosexuality in Leviticus and the story of Sodom from Genesis have been made to speak for the whole Hebrew Bible. The oddity of this situatio ...more
Published 2005 by Continuum

To ask other readers questions about Jacob's Wound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacob's Wound

Raymond

“…evidence for significant same-sex eroticism in Israel actually precedes the evidence for Greece, in some cases, by several centuries. Hence, it appears that ancient Israel may have more of a claim to be a cultural home to same-sex eroticism than does ancient Greece.”
Jacob’s Wound- Part 4 (pg. # 198)

The Bible, whether you believe in it or not, is the book that has defined beliefs and morals in Western culture. While it has been a solace to many, it is also used as a hammer against many others.

Angie
Short version: An exploration of homoeroticism in ancient Israel.

Opinion: Some of it falls a bit short for me, some of it is mindblowing- I'm not sure I can describe which part made me swoon without a spoiler, but I highly recommend this book. It's one of those books I wish I'd read the second it came out instead of as a college assignment.
Tasha
Apr 04, 2010 Tasha marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbtq, theology
In Emory's library (not Pitts)
Olivia Jackson
Olivia Jackson marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Dahreen
Dahreen marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Brian Henry
Brian Henry marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Sarah Moon
Sarah Moon marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Richard
Richard is currently reading it
Dec 21, 2013
Matthew Mccracken
Matthew Mccracken marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2013
Damon-eugene
Damon-eugene marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2013
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2012
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2012
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2011
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2011
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2011
The Man Jesus Loved Good News to the Poor: John Wesley's Evangelical Economics Reading Derrida/Thinking Paul: On Justice (Cultural Memory of the Present) Plato or Paul? The Origins of Western Homophobia Transforming Atonement: A Political Theology of the Cross