The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #2)

The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  21,115 ratings  ·  3,421 reviews
Mara Dyer once believed she could run from her past.
She can’t.

She used to think her problems were all in her head.
They aren’t.

She couldn’t imagine that after everything she’s been through, the boy she loves would still be keeping secrets.
She’s wrong.

In this gripping sequel to The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, the truth evolves and choices prove deadly. What will become of Mara...more
Published October 23rd 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers

Can't Wait Books of 2012
123rd out of 2,430 books — 15,864 voters
Insurgent by Veronica RothFever by Lauren DeStefanoA Million Suns by Beth RevisHallowed by Cynthia HandThe Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
2012 Sophomore YA Releases
5th out of 92 books — 405 voters

More lists with this book...

Vy
ALL THE STARS RIGHT HERE.
Can we all just slow clap for this?

AND THIS BOOK. NO WORDS RIGHT NOW. I just..

My thoughts have yet to make sense. So for now, all you have to know is that Evolution is a fantastic book that will most likely be the source of my nightmares and paranoia for the next few days.

GO PRE-ORDER NOW! I just ordered mine :)

***********updated FULL review***********

I wasn't sure how it could be possible, but The Evolution of Mara Dyer was even more intese and twisted than The Unbeco...more
Anna
I should probably write a real review for this. Maybe I will, when my head isn't reeling.

The Evolution is everything that The Unbecoming was and more. Romantic, perfectly paced, repeatedly punching you in the gut... I actually had to take a bunch of breaks and purge to someone during the last 100 pages because everything was becoming so intense and scary and twisted. It's 10 times worse than The Unbecoming, and it's awesome.

It also raised my standards for gore and fear. If I had to pick two word...more
Carissa
Ideally, this book will include:
Noah
Mara
Noah with Mara (I <3 Noah Shaw. Love him.)
More creepy hallucinations
Noah breaking Jude's face
A full collection of perverse childrens books, penned by Noah
SOME ANSWERS, PLEASE

*after reading book*
So remember in Mara's psyche file it says:
Sarin, orig. carrier; contraindication suspected, unknown; midazolam administered

So, it's creepy that Sarin, her mother's maiden name is mentioned. But the creepier part: I googled Midazolam, and it said this:
Midazolam i...more
Jen
Originally posted here: http://www.makeshiftbookmark.com/2012...

OH.
MY.
EVER.
LOVING.
HELL.

The Evolution of Mara Dyer has just infiltrated and plundered my brain and I can't sleep until I tell you about it.

You know that feeling that you hope and wish for every time you read a book but, more often than not, are underwhelmed? That notion where, "hey, what good is life anyway if I'm not reading this very book in this very moment?" That moment when you build up this elaborate hypothesis in your brain a...more
Blythe
Have you ever seen the movie The Strangers? If so, do you remember that one scene where the woman was in the foreground of her house, panicking, and in the background you see one of the white-masked strangers inside her house, watching her? Such a simple and subtle scene, that was. There was no music, no big bang to draw your attention to the stranger - nothing. Just complete and utter silence, aside from the sound of the woman taking short, panicked breaths. The subtlety of that one particular...more
Joie
The unfortunate byproduct of being a high school senior is that I don't have much time to read. Not as much as I used to, anyway. Before, I was able to finish a book in less than a week, and now, quite frankly, I'm lucky if I make it through half of the book in that time.

This book took me three days to finish.

Three days.

GUYS. THREE DAYS.
description

Insanity. I don't even remember the last time I finished a book so quickly.

So here's how it all went down....

Me before reading:

description

Beyond excited. In fact, I may (or...more
Giselle
Well wasn't this a pleasant surprise! After being hugely disappointed with the way the first book turned from fabulously creepy to annoyingly romancy, I did not hold very high hopes for its sequel--even though I was (obviously) curious enough by the ending to still be looking forward to it. As you can tell, I had a very up and down relationship with that book. Fortunately, this sequel rocked it way harder than I could have hoped for!

From terrifying hand-made dolls (Dolls. Are. Terrifying!), to d...more
Kristalia
FINAL RATING: ★★★☆/★★★★★

Just like me.

The last 20% were so worthy of 3.5 STARS.

I don't know if it is a standard for Michelle Hodkin or if i always get bored until i reach 70% of the book? Because it is the deal with me and Mara Dyer series. But, this time, i got some answers. But! I got confused as hell! And i loved that! Can you imagine? I actually loved this book. More than the first one anyway.

No...more
Shreya (CCReviews)
The Evolution of Mara Dyer was an absolutely thrilling sequel to the brain-wracking first novel in the series. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was enchanting and exciting, but this one was ADDICTING. There are more twists and turns and exciting parts in this book then there are on a roller-coaster ride. One thing is for sure, once readers put this one down, they'll definitely need some time before picking up any other book.

Mara in this book, was let's just say, funny and in a way messed up as she wa...more
Esmeralda
Before reading:
OH MY FREAKING GOD THE COVER IS SO PREEETTTTYYYY. (NOT SURE IF I SHOULD FAINT OR CRY)
WHY CAN'T THE BOOK COME OUT ALREALLY!!!!! I NEED IT, WANT IT, CRAVE IT. GAVE IT TO ME, GAVE IT ME HERE, GAVE IT TO ME NOW!!!!!!!
Waiting for this book to come out.

After reading:

The writing beautiful and haunting. The author has talent. However, Noah was just too much. Before All the Noah fangirls come with with torches and pitchforks. I will explain. Mara at some point believes she is crazy. We as...more
Andrea
“I’ll walk forever with stories inside me that the people I love the most can never hear.”

✶✶✶✶✶ BIG SHINY STARS

This book, uhm... What can I say about this book? Besides the fact that is brilliant, well written and awesomely brilliant? The book is THAT perfect.

The were parts of the book that i really considered Mara was really mad, in other parts it just felt that all what she was thinking totally made sense. Maybe I'm the one who's mad.
The book really catches you. In the middle was a little s...more
Komal Mikaelson
Initial reaction After Completion

More like 2.5*. I am rounding it off to 3* because of the absolutely gorgeous covers.
That wasn't stupid at all

Throughout the book, there were two emotions warring: creepiness and annoyance. I was equally torn between the two and couldn't make up my mind as to what I really felt. Upto 60% of the book, that is. After that as you can perceive from my rating, annoyance won, hands down.

Random trivia (Jessie, for ya)
I did NOT like the first book, The Unbecoming of Mar...more
deanneluvbooks
I had to read this between my fingers it was so freaking intense. It's like reading about your worst nightmare. I felt so terrible for Mara from page one till the end.
Jeffanem
I loved The Unbecoming, and I love The Evolution just as much - if not more! This is one of those books that you can't put down. You know the kind - one of those that you say to yourself at 12:30AM "Just one more chapter, and then I'm going to bed." And then at 1:30, you're still telling yourself that you're just going to read one more chapter. And at 2:30? You just give up and stay up so you can finish your book.

And at 3:00AM? You're completely unable to sleep, because the cliffhanger at the e...more
Mizuki
Pre-review:

I'm at page. 255 and I want to list out a few things I wish Michelle Hodkin would have written in the remaining part of The Evolution of Mara Dyer:

(1) Mara is in fact crazy.

(2) Jude, Mara's ex-boyfriend and would-be-rapist, is in fact dead.

(3)Whenever Mara thinks she's seeing Jude, it's only her seeing her imaginary stalker.

(4) Every single spooky event that has taken place in the book is either Mara's own handiwork or they taken place only in her head.

(5) Mara goes all psycho-bitch a
H.D. Tolson
seriously not ok right now.

full review to come if I can collect myself.
Lauren
Oh, hey, Noah Shaw fanatics? Get ready to have your world rocked.
Lori (Pure Imagination)
Contains no spoilers, my friends.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was my favorite book of last year. The Evolution of Mara Dyer was my most anticipated book of this year. Obviously, I had high expectations, but there was never a doubt in my mind that Michelle Hodkin would deliver a sequel worthy of that unbelievable first book. She did.

Do you perhaps remember my review of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer? It went a little something like this: “I truly have no idea where to even start. I’m sure if I just s...more
Danny
Oh no!!! This ending!!
This book was as good as the first one!!! It keeps you on edge and in the dark all the time. You cannot turn the pages fast enough!!!
Michelle has unique talent to create a story that won't let you go!!
Amazing!!!!!
♥ Becky  22
4.5 stars! Liked it even more than the first one! :)
This series is like a nightmare that totally creeps me out but at the same time it's also really mesmerizing and awesome.

(SPOILERS for FIRST Mara Dyer book)

Maybe this is just me over-interpreting things…

…but notice how their names kind of hint at their powers?

“Mara” phonetically reminds me of “mors”, or “mort”, the Latin and French words for dead and death.
And “Dyer” sounds like die.

“Noah” was the only (male) human to survive the Flood and h...more
Ali
OMG why do I have to do things like work?? It really interrupts my reading time!

Totally sucked in to this already!
Casey (The Bookish Type)
Oh my GOD. Review to come.
LittleMissFangirl {Zoe}

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH MY LIFE RIGHT NOW. I finished it and cant name the amount of emotions that filled my mind. I NEED THE 3RD BOOK. NOW. RIGHT NOW.

To start off, I absolutely loved the first book in the Mara Dyer Trilogy. I read it within two days and I couldn't believe how amazing it was, so I immediately ordered the second one on amazon and waited anxiously for it to arrive. When it finally did I ripped open the box and got straight to reading.

I ABSOLUTELY love the way Michelle write...more
Brandi
Why do I do this to myself? I feel like throwing a tanturm, like a 2 year old, because I need the next book. Now. Waiting is torture.

This book is a giant, steaming pot of mind-fuckery. I head is spinning. Seriously, WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?!?! I...need to contemplate for a while, 2:30am is not an ideal time for proper brain functioning.

I will say this, maybe I am in denial, but I refuse to believe it. If you have read it, you know what I am talking about. That person better be lying...

"If I...more
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
OH MY FREAKING- WHY DO YOU LEAVE ME HANGING LIKE THAT, WHY!? I just *sigh*.... Can it be October already, please?
I will most likely do a video review of this :D
Brad
Jul 14, 2012 Brad marked it as to-read
THE TITLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit 4/24/12: Look at that cover!
Natalia Ceitidh
September 11th 2012.
HOLY COW THIS WAS SO GOOD!!!!! And there is a whole new dark side of Noah Shaw that is sort of scary and sexy at the same time! OMG! I am so confused with this story and I LOVE it! What's real? what's not? =P many questions are answered but new ones are born.

Full review to come near publication date! <33333333

Duuuuuuuuude! you have to get this one =9!

UPDATE October 21st, 2012 ~ Now here come the actual review XD

Read more of my reviews at Dazzling Reads

Michelle Hodkin...more
shanti
why do i feel like crying with that ending.....:(
oh noah,noah,noah.....

Merged review:

i'm hoping that the cover for this is gonna beat the first one.soooooooooooooooo in love with it!!!!!!!!!!!can't wait to read it :)JUST PRE-ORDERED THIS!!!! JUST GOT THIS IN THE POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maeee
THE TITLE, THE COVER, THE EVERYTHING! I cannot wait to read this. Im going to cry once I get my hands on the book.

Edit:

OH MY GOD OH MY GOD MY FEELS ARE EVERYWHERE.
MICHELLE HODKIN YOU DO NOT DISAPPOINT, BUT NOW I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK. ): But still. I loved it.
YA Lovers: The Evolution of Mara Dyer--> Starting April 5th 5 21 Apr 19, 2014 07:40PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Evolution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - Starting May 15th 2014 2 3 Apr 11, 2014 08:12PM
Mara Dyer Triology : Noah Shaw's "deceasion" 8 14 Apr 09, 2014 04:02AM
What are your theories for Book 3? 47 581 Mar 31, 2014 08:29PM
Addicted to YA: The Evolution of Mara Dyer 17 356 Mar 25, 2014 10:43PM
The Wide Web of F...: The Evolution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer #2) 42 67 Mar 25, 2014 01:50AM
Mara dyer 2 28 Mar 24, 2014 10:06AM
  • Onyx (Lux, #2)
  • Never Fade (The Darkest Minds, #2)
  • Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)
  • Losing Lila (Lila, #2)
  • Destroy Me (Shatter Me, #1.5)
  • Girl of Nightmares (Anna, #2)
  • Phoenix (Black City, #2)
  • Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
  • Toxic (Denazen, #2)
  • Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky, #2)
  • Siege and Storm (The Grisha, #2)
  • A Voice in the Distance (Flynn Laukonen, #2)
  • If I Should Die (Revenants, #3)
  • Middle Ground (Awaken, #2)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • Unbreakable (Unraveling, #2)
  • Asunder (Newsoul, #2)
At the age of sixteen, Michelle Hodkin lost the rights to her soul in a poker game with pirates just south of Natchez. Shortly thereafter, she joined an acting troupe and traveled the world performing feats of wonder and mischief. She has been seen on stages nationwide and earned rave reviews for her one woman performance of Titus Andronicus before writing the New York Times bestselling Mara Dyer...more
More about Michelle Hodkin...
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #1) The Retribution of Mara Dyer (Mara Dyer, #3) Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader

“If I were to live a thousand years, I would belong to you for all of them. If we were to live a thousand lives, I would want to make you mine in each one.” 727 likes
“This was the boy I loved. A little bit messy. A little bit ruined. A beautiful disaster. Just like me.” 652 likes