Start by marking “Gun Shy (Gun, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gun Shy (Gun, #1)

Gun Shy (Gun #1)

While on patrol, Minnesota police officer Dez Reilly saves two women from a brutal attack. One of them, Jaylynn Savage, is immediately attracted to the taciturn cop - so much so that she joins the St. Paul Police Academy. As fate would have it, Dez is eventually assigned as Jaylynn's Field Training Officer. Having been burned in the past by getting romantically involved wi ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by Regal Crest Enterprises - Quest (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Gun Shy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gun Shy

Kennedy
May 14, 2016 Kennedy rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable read with interesting characters. Desiree is intense and good at what she does. JayLynn is easy going and although her reason for joining the police force is a little bizarre, she has a way about her that counters/blends with Desiree very nicely. I really like that both women are strong and capable. What is not to like about the landlady Luella, she cooks, does laundry, gives advice and hugs.
Val
Nov 05, 2016 Val rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It takes plenty of time to develop the relationship of two strong women and I'm always a sucker for these cop stories. It also has my most important requirement: a happy ending. The only reason I did not give this book 5 stars was because of the many, lengthy dream sequences. Just not my cup of tea and a touch hokey.
Wayne Spiceland
Jul 24, 2012 Wayne Spiceland rated it liked it
Plot: St.Paul lesbian police officer rescues two young women from rape, one of the women is immediately smitten with the officer, and decides, after the encounter, to enter the police academy. The women are attracted to each other, but don't verbalize their feelings for personal reasons: one having been seriously burned by a previous lover, the other out of fear of rejection. How they make their tortuous way to each other forms the gist of the novel.

My reaction to Gun Shy by Lori L Lake proves w
Jae Jae
Jul 11, 2011 Jae Jae rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
From a technical point of view, the story isn't perfect. There are some inconsistencies, head hopping, and omniscient descriptions of the characters.

But I still like the story because the characters are so lovable and Lori L. Lake really takes her time developing the relationship between them.
reader
Dec 28, 2016 reader rated it really liked it
Sex shy...

Though dry of sexy romance, this was actually a very well-written psychological character study.

The story spans about a year in the life of police officer Dez Reilly who is suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after the death of her male partner... one of the few people this hard-to-get-close-to butch has let into her life and heart. She isn't one to reach out and get the help she needs. And she's not even recovered from a previous betrayal and has mother issues to boot. She d
Susan Honthumb
Jul 15, 2014 Susan Honthumb rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
The beginning is a bit slow, but perseverance is worth it. After about a chapter and a half, the plot picks up the pace. Oh, there was a "come on, really? You are going to manipulate an accident to get these two women in bed for the sake of saving her life? But what I lived were all the details, whether it be the park lights or the description of the falls, I felt like I was in Minnesota with these two women. I loved the character development. Lake is a crafty writer, she'll weave little bits of ...more
Pippa
Dec 19, 2015 Pippa rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer-crime
This was a good mix of crime and romance, with well written characters and enough plot to keep things ticking over. It is the start of a series, with four books to date.

The two main characters are well written. Dez Reilly is a uniformed policewoman with the Saint Paul Police, who stops two rapists in the midst of a crime spree. Jaylynn Savage is one of the women she saves in the incident, and Jaylynn is so inspired that she drops out of Law to join the police force.

The story of Jaylynn's traini
Lisa
Jul 29, 2008 Lisa rated it it was ok
I'll be honest: I only picked this book up because it's a lesbian love story and it takes place in St. Paul, MN, where I went to college. The story was OK, but at times clumsily written and really loses steam past the second half of the book. The characters were well-developed, and the author's strength lies in getting inside the character's minds and exploring their conflicts and emotions. Unfortunately, the book has more weaknesses than strenghts: transitions between character perspectives wer ...more
Blink51n
I didn't know this was an "uber" story going in - I have never enjoyed uber stories and this one was no different, unfortunately.
The main issues I have are the repeated descriptions of the characters "the big woman", "cold blue eyes" etc. as well as their perfected physicality. I get it already!
I think one of the main things I dislike about uber fiction in general is I find these descriptors pull me out of the story by reminding me that these characters already exist - it's harder than just lett
Deirdre S.
Sep 28, 2010 Deirdre S. rated it it was amazing
I really liked this author's Snow Moon Rising, and this first-in-a-series novel has only deepened my admiration. A great look at the inner and outer lives of two female police officers, one a tense and guarded veteran too closely acquainted with loss, and the other an open-hearted rookie who may have more to teach the older officer about her own heart than her mentor has to teach about police work. Vivid and memorable characters whose fates and futures will matter to the reader, and whose eventu ...more
Carmen
May 06, 2012 Carmen rated it liked it
Not going to lie, I had heard good things about the book, but it was just so long for me. My biggest peeve was that Dez was continually referred to as 'the big woman' throughout the story - I get the point... I found the beginning really slow, and wanted to stop reading because Jaylynn seemed a bit too unrealistic and perky for my tastes. Overall, the book was ok, I wouldn't say it was great, but I'm probably not going to continue reading the rest of the series.
Christine
Feb 16, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing
The characters in this book seem to have been really well thought out and it was interesting to read. The author had a way of building the sexual tension between the two throughout the story. I really ennjoyed this read.

The only downfall was that there weren't as many sex scenes as I'd like. But, to Ms. Lake's defense, I always want more sex scenes!
Laurel
Apr 05, 2009 Laurel rated it it was ok
Long a fan of Ellen Hart's Jane Lawless series, I thought I should try Lori L. Lake's book. Unfortunately, I didn't do my homework; Gun Shy turned out to be a romance novel, not a mystery or police procedural. I thought the book was painfully long for a novel that barely scratched the surface emotionally and I simply tired of all the burning looks and deep blushes.
Freyja Vanadis
Feb 09, 2012 Freyja Vanadis rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: absolutely no one
This is absolutely the worst lesbian mystery I've ever read. I read this book probably about 8 years ago so I can't remember the details, just that I loathed it with a passion. I wish I could score it less than one star, because I certainly would.
Margaret L. Hedman
Loved this book.

I loved this book. I loved the development of the relationship between Dez and Jaylynn. Enough action in their jobs to keep it interesting. I can't wait to read more.
Simone
Oct 02, 2013 Simone rated it liked it
Shelves: romance, lori-lake
I really wanted to enjoy this book more. I didn't fall in love with the characters. I didn't feel the passion between them. There was nothing sweet about their relationship for me. But there was enough there that I am willing to read the sequel and give them another chance.
Mary Vermillion
Apr 07, 2012 Mary Vermillion rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt
The chemistry between Lake's two main characters, Dez and Jaylynn, is a lot of fun, as are the bodybuilding and basketball scenes. I'm looking forward to Gun #2.
Elizabeth Tanner
Jan 05, 2015 Elizabeth Tanner rated it really liked it
Good book. Length was great and character build up was wonderful. I liked that there did not need to be sex in every scene, but instead had anticipation build up.
Kim
Jul 06, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
I liked the cop story even if some of the realities seemed stretched. The characters are interesting and likable.
Santa
Santa rated it liked it
May 19, 2012
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2012
Kay ShortStuff
Kay ShortStuff rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2014
Susiemelindy
Susiemelindy rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2008
Jess Stice
Jess Stice rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Sophia
Sophia rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2015
Kelli
Kelli rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2010
C Simone
C Simone rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2015
Lynn
Jul 03, 2013 Lynn rated it it was ok
I found it just a bit slow and too long. Just about read it to the end.
Jackie Baker
Jackie Baker rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
  • A Matter of Trust (Justice, #0)
  • The Intersection of Law and Desire (Micky Knight, #3)
  • Snowbound
  • Madam President
  • Warming Trend
  • No Strings
  • Breaking the Ice
  • Hostage Moon
  • Worth Every Step
  • Tropical Storm (Dar and Kerry, #1)
  • Dust
  • Just Business
Lori L. Lake is the author of ten novels, two books of short stories, and editor of two anthologies. She'll soon have four books available in The Gun Series as well as the next book in The Public Eye Mystery Series. Her crime fiction stories have been featured in "Silence of the Loons," "Once Upon a Crime," and "Women of the Mean Streets. She's had romance stories anthologized in "Best Lesbian Rom ...more
More about Lori L. Lake...

Gun (4 books)
  • Under the Gun (Gun, #2)
  • Have Gun We'll Travel (Gun, #3)
  • Jump the Gun (Gun, #4)