Start by marking “Four Books by F. Scott Fitzgerald” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Four Books by F. Scott...

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Four Books by F. Scott Fitzgerald

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Beautiful and Damned

Flappers and Philosophers

Tales of the Jazz Age

This Side of Paradise
Published August 17th 2010 by Lulu.com (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Four Books by F. Scott Fitzgerald, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Books by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Sonja
I picked this up to read the short story "Curious Case of Benjamin Button" as I am interested in the movie. I plan to read the other stories also.
Deborah
Mainly, just finished a reading of "Tales of the Jazz Age," and found them so interesting in a wartime-and-depression-era- time-sharing way. Scott Fitzgerald writes one liners that will make you stop and shake your head with the startling beauty they evoke. Please, find a volume or an ebook of these "Tales.." and read at least one for a Summer evening you can always remember. I recommend "Jellybean.." with a tall glass of lemonade w/mint.
Jess
I recently finished This Side of Paradise. While I liked it, I felt like it was lacking he substance of say The Great Gatsby. I felt like I was supposed to know Amory a lot better than I felt I did by the end of the novel. But, by the end, I still didn't understand why he responded the way he did to certain situations. I also felt like he just needed to grow up and move on with life, instead of roaming around looking for the next best thing or drinking himself into a stupor because of Rosalind. ...more
Ruth
This book consists of several collections of short stories by Fitzgerald, namely ‘Flappers and Philosophers’ (1920), ‘Tales of the Jazz Age’ (1922), ‘All the Sad Young Men’ (1926), ‘Taps at Reveille’ (1935) and uncollected stories.

As with all short stories, some are hugely enjoyable and others less so. All of the stories however seem to have a melancholy, or an air of regret about them. Fitzgerald often wrote about disillusion and disappointment, but he did it so eloquently and beautifully that
Kirk
Gatsby who?

This Side of Paradise

Long after midnight the towers and spires of Princeton were visible, with here and there a late-burning light—and suddenly out of the clear darkness the sound of bells. As an endless dream it went on; the spirit of the past brooding over a new generation, the chosen youth from the muddled, unchastened world, still fed romantically on the same mistakes and half-forgotten dreams of dead statesmen and poets. Here was a new generation, shouting the old cries, learning
Stefanie
I am really very fascinated with this author. I am intrigued by the life he led and I feel compelled to read his stories. However, I tend to hit a wall when reading his fiction. While I am thoroughly engrossed in his narratives, I find myself offended and disgusted by the characters and I end up abandoning the book. And yet, I keep coming back for more...
I did read "Flappers and Philosophers" in it's entirety. I cannot say the same for "This Side of Paradise" or "The Beautiful and the Damned" th
Brandon Kempner
Flappers and Philosophers, March 21, 2014 to April 2, 2014, four stars
Anjan
Aug 07, 2013 Anjan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Lay out by the pool and pretend that your are lounging with the rich. Nice bit of time travel and great takes on aspirations, whether female or cultural. Really curious what women think of his chauvinist(as some would call it)characters. So, what do you women think?
Aspasia
I checked this out from the library so that I could read "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." The short story was almost as depressing as the movie. I tried reading some of the other stories in the collection, but I had a hard time getting into them.
Marika Alexander
First time to read his short stories and I particularly enjoyed them. F. Scott has a way of writing which brings realistic characters to life, and paints them into vivid scenes which transport you back to the 20's and 30's.
Matthew
Only read "This Side of Paradise" which was part of the collection, but after reading this, I want to read the rest of the collection eventually. 6/8/10 - want to reread This Side of Paradise for better understanding.
Robyn
Jun 11, 2013 Robyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoying it have to keep remembering Scott Fitzgerald was really only a boy writing these stories absolutley no Maturity always lived for the moment like many of his characters.
Laura  Yan
I like Fitzgerald's short stories, even if he didn't think so highly of some of them himself. Charming and escapist, 1920s decadence at its best, with a few heart felt moments in between.
Christopher Sutch
See my reviews for the individual novels and collections of stories contained in this volume.
Jana
Great writing, 'thou you can tell it's before his mature work. The ending was kind of jagged, but kind of funny, too unintentionally funny for a tragedy.
yoli
Jan 04, 2012 yoli is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This a placeholder for the Project Gutenburg PDF of "The Beautiful and the Damned."

God these characters are obnoxious!
Kelsey Albright
F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories don't always have the happiest endings, but they are all consistently satisfying.
Medora
THis collection includes "The Curius Case of Benjamin Button" don't know if I'll read the whole book or not.
Paul
A Great book. Library of America needs to continue on with compiling Fitzgerald's writing.
Martin
Flappers and Philosophers - 07.23.11

Tales of the Jazz Age - 01.08.12
Noy Dolorfo
i want to read this.
Ed Grimmer
Ed Grimmer marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Phil Sexton
Phil Sexton marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Molly Smith
Molly Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Brett
Brett marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Crystal P
Crystal P marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • Steinbeck: The Grapes of Wrath and Other Writings, 1936-1941 (Library of America #86)
  • Novels, 1930-1935
  • Pierre/Israel Potter/The Piazza Tales/The Confidence-Man/Tales/Billy Budd (Library of America #24)
  • Main Street / Babbitt (Library of America #59)
  • Historical Romances (Library of America #71)
  • Novels: The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence (Library of America #30)
  • Complete Novels: The Robber Bridegroom, Delta Wedding, The Ponder Heart, Losing Battles, The Optimist's Daughter (Library of America #101)
  • Tales and Sketches
  • Collected Plays 1944-1961 (Library of America #163)
  • Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, A Death in the Family, and Shorter Fiction
  • London: Novels and Stories: The Call of the Wild/White Fang/The Sea-Wolf/Klondike and Other Stories (Library of America #6)
  • Nabokov: Novels, 1955-1962: Lolita / Pnin / Pale Fire / The Lolita Screenplay (Library of America #88)
  • Novels and Other Writings : The Dream Life of Balso Snell / Miss Lonelyhearts / A Cool Million / The Day of the Locust / Letters (Library of America #93)
  • Baldwin: Early Novels and Stories
  • Chandler: Stories and Early Novels
  • Early Novels and Stories
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
The Great Gatsby Tender Is the Night This Side of Paradise The Curious Case of Benjamin Button The Beautiful and Damned