Start by marking “Four Books by F. Scott Fitzgerald” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Four Books by F. Scott...

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Four Books by F. Scott Fitzgerald

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  401 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
The Beautiful and Damned

Flappers and Philosophers

Tales of the Jazz Age

This Side of Paradise
Published August 17th 2010 by Lulu.com (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about Four Books by F. Scott Fitzgerald, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Books by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Sonja
Jan 27, 2009 Sonja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up to read the short story "Curious Case of Benjamin Button" as I am interested in the movie. I plan to read the other stories also.
Ruth
Nov 29, 2012 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book consists of several collections of short stories by Fitzgerald, namely ‘Flappers and Philosophers’ (1920), ‘Tales of the Jazz Age’ (1922), ‘All the Sad Young Men’ (1926), ‘Taps at Reveille’ (1935) and uncollected stories.

As with all short stories, some are hugely enjoyable and others less so. All of the stories however seem to have a melancholy, or an air of regret about them. Fitzgerald often wrote about disillusion and disappointment, but he did it so eloquently and beautifully that
Deborah
Aug 06, 2010 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mainly, just finished a reading of "Tales of the Jazz Age," and found them so interesting in a wartime-and-depression-era- time-sharing way. Scott Fitzgerald writes one liners that will make you stop and shake your head with the startling beauty they evoke. Please, find a volume or an ebook of these "Tales.." and read at least one for a Summer evening you can always remember. I recommend "Jellybean.." with a tall glass of lemonade w/mint.
Jess
Jan 10, 2010 Jess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished This Side of Paradise. While I liked it, I felt like it was lacking he substance of say The Great Gatsby. I felt like I was supposed to know Amory a lot better than I felt I did by the end of the novel. But, by the end, I still didn't understand why he responded the way he did to certain situations. I also felt like he just needed to grow up and move on with life, instead of roaming around looking for the next best thing or drinking himself into a stupor because of Rosalind. ...more
Kirk
May 03, 2010 Kirk rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gatsby who?

This Side of Paradise

Long after midnight the towers and spires of Princeton were visible, with here and there a late-burning light—and suddenly out of the clear darkness the sound of bells. As an endless dream it went on; the spirit of the past brooding over a new generation, the chosen youth from the muddled, unchastened world, still fed romantically on the same mistakes and half-forgotten dreams of dead statesmen and poets. Here was a new generation, shouting the old cries, learning
Stefanie
Aug 09, 2007 Stefanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really very fascinated with this author. I am intrigued by the life he led and I feel compelled to read his stories. However, I tend to hit a wall when reading his fiction. While I am thoroughly engrossed in his narratives, I find myself offended and disgusted by the characters and I end up abandoning the book. And yet, I keep coming back for more...
I did read "Flappers and Philosophers" in it's entirety. I cannot say the same for "This Side of Paradise" or "The Beautiful and the Damned" th
Anjan
Aug 07, 2013 Anjan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Lay out by the pool and pretend that your are lounging with the rich. Nice bit of time travel and great takes on aspirations, whether female or cultural. Really curious what women think of his chauvinist(as some would call it)characters. So, what do you women think?
Aspasia
Sep 19, 2009 Aspasia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I checked this out from the library so that I could read "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." The short story was almost as depressing as the movie. I tried reading some of the other stories in the collection, but I had a hard time getting into them.
Marika Alexander
First time to read his short stories and I particularly enjoyed them. F. Scott has a way of writing which brings realistic characters to life, and paints them into vivid scenes which transport you back to the 20's and 30's.
Matthew
Jun 08, 2010 Matthew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only read "This Side of Paradise" which was part of the collection, but after reading this, I want to read the rest of the collection eventually. 6/8/10 - want to reread This Side of Paradise for better understanding.
Robyn
Jun 11, 2013 Robyn is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoying it have to keep remembering Scott Fitzgerald was really only a boy writing these stories absolutley no Maturity always lived for the moment like many of his characters.
Laura  Yan
Sep 17, 2012 Laura Yan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Fitzgerald's short stories, even if he didn't think so highly of some of them himself. Charming and escapist, 1920s decadence at its best, with a few heart felt moments in between.
Christopher Sutch
See my reviews for the individual novels and collections of stories contained in this volume.
Jana
Jul 10, 2010 Jana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great writing, 'thou you can tell it's before his mature work. The ending was kind of jagged, but kind of funny, too unintentionally funny for a tragedy.
yoli
Jan 04, 2012 yoli is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This a placeholder for the Project Gutenburg PDF of "The Beautiful and the Damned."

God these characters are obnoxious!
Kelsey Albright
F. Scott Fitzgerald's short stories don't always have the happiest endings, but they are all consistently satisfying.
Medora
Jan 22, 2009 Medora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
THis collection includes "The Curius Case of Benjamin Button" don't know if I'll read the whole book or not.
Paul
Mar 13, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great book. Library of America needs to continue on with compiling Fitzgerald's writing.
Martin
Jan 09, 2012 Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Flappers and Philosophers - 07.23.11

Tales of the Jazz Age - 01.08.12
Noy Dolorfo
i want to read this.
Miss Deed
Miss Deed rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Rachel Pittman
Rachel Pittman rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
Kingjay
Kingjay marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
peter m pedalino
peter m pedalino rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
virginia cregar
virginia cregar rated it really liked it
May 18, 2016
LindaAnn Costello
LindaAnn Costello rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Nancy
Nancy rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
  • The Grapes of Wrath and Other Writings, 1936-1941
  • Pierre, Israel Potter, The Piazza Tales, The Confidence-Man, Tales, Billy Budd
  • Novels, 1936-1940
  • Main Street / Babbitt
  • Novels, 1944-1953
  • The House of Mirth / The Reef / The Custom of the Country / The Age of Innocence
  • Collected Plays 1944-1961
  • Historical Romances
  • Novels, 1881-1886
  • Novels, 1955-1962: Lolita / Pnin / Pale Fire / The Lolita Screenplay
  • Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, A Death in the Family, and Shorter Fiction
  • Tales and Sketches
  • Early Novels and Stories
  • Eudora Welty: Stories, Essays, and Memoirs
  • Novels, 1967-1972: When She Was Good / Portnoy's Complaint / Our Gang / The Breast
  • Chandler: Stories and Early Novels
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...