Start by marking “The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles, #1)

The Exile And the Sorcerer (Lyremouth Chronicles #1)

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  461 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
The quest for the stolen chalice is a sham - her family's excuse to get rid of Tevi. Exiled in a dangerous and confusing world filled with monsters, bandits, and sorcerers, Tevi battles demons within and without as she searches for her place in the strange new world.

Jemeryl has her future planned out - a future that will involve minimal contact with ordinary folk who do no
Published February 1st 2006 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about The Exile And the Sorcerer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Exile And the Sorcerer

The Warrior's Path by Catherine M. WilsonA Journey of the Heart by Catherine M. WilsonA Hero's Tale by Catherine M. WilsonThe Dark Wife by Sarah DiemerSword of the Guardian by Merry Shannon
Lesbian Fantasy
16th out of 198 books — 140 voters
Pitifully Ugly by Robin AlexanderJust Jorie by Robin AlexanderThe Summer of Our Discontent by Robin AlexanderAmbereye by Gill McKnightScaredy Cat by Robin Alexander
Funny Lesbian Romance books
71st out of 81 books — 60 voters

More lists with this book...

Bellish
Jan 19, 2015 Bellish rated it it was ok
Tevi is exiled from a society very different to our own and finds herself in another society, equally different from our own and from the one she has come from. Unfortunately, Fletcher does far too much telling, with characters explaining how their respective societies work, and not enough showing. The result is a novel that raises some interesting questions about gender, sexuality and society and doesn't take them anywhere at all.

There are some interesting concepts in here that I would like to
Megan
I love Jane Fletcher's Celaeno series but I will admit that the first time I read this one (years ago) I didn't love it. That being said, on my re-read I had a greater appreciation for the characters, world building and the slower unfolding of the story. I think my original reservation was that almost the first two thirds of the book focus on Tevi as she is exiled from her home and finding her way on the mainland and within the Protectorate. She doesn't meet Jem until well into the book, which l ...more
Elizabeth
Excuse me, Ms. Fletcher. I, um. I can see your agenda. Yeah, it's kind of ...showing. A lot.

The pacing in this is wildly off, Fletcher's issue-related needs force her to warp her characters into total morons, and she provides little to no framework for her central emotional premise.

I cannot *believe* my club used revenue funds to purchase this. Queer-content-inclusion-effort fail.

If you're looking for a fantasy world with lesbians, go for Ash.
Gannett
Mar 14, 2016 Gannett rated it it was ok
It's hard giving this book such a poor review, because I honestly wanted to like it. The main character is fun; her little quirks, like not wanting money, plus her social awkwardness made her quite relatable to me as a person. She felt *real*, for lack of a better word.

It's just a shame that they didn't do anything with her. Her character is formed wholesale in the first few chapters, and she coasts through the rest of the book relatively unchanged.

Much the same thing happens with the world; we
D.
Jan 26, 2012 D. rated it it was amazing
In my opinion, it was a good story, filled with travels and fighting. Of course, the travelling went a little faster and the fights were kind of short too. Still, it was interesting and it was filled with suspense. Unlike the Celaeno series, in some parts, same-sex relationships are discriminated, but not enough. The romance was good, but I hoped there was more on it. For me in overall, it was a good story and worth reading.
Robert
May 30, 2013 Robert rated it it was amazing
Yes, it is also a romance, and a good one at that. However, unlike so many other romances of this genre, it has a wonderful story. The characters have depth, the world is rich, and the story (and romance) are given plenty of time to develop. I've now read half the books the author has written and I've enjoyed every one.
Saachi
Jun 27, 2012 Saachi rated it it was ok
For a fantasy novel, it's surprisingly undeveloped in terms of setting. The cultural setting of the story is supposed to be unique (a matriarchal society!) but it was so flimsily constructed that I couldn't feel it at all. It just felt like distant, far off fantasy musings. The authorial voice was virtually non existent; perhaps this book would have made more sense if a first person narrative had been used, alternated between Tevi and Jemeryl.

As for the plot, I have only one word to describe it
Noah Soudrette
Jan 06, 2011 Noah Soudrette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ebooks
The story concerns a young woman named Tevi who hails from a Viking-esque culture except it's matriarchal, due to a strange enchantment years ago giving the women much more strength than the men. Tevi's in line to rule one day, but her inability to fight and her lack of interest in men gets her exiled from her people. She spends most of the book wandering around the mainland, meeting new people and having her horizons expanded. Eventually she meets Jemeryl, a sorcerer who has fallen into disrepu ...more
N. N.
Jun 30, 2013 N. N. rated it it was ok
So there's a mix of good and bad here. Fletcher introduces interesting fantasy themes which allow us to examine our world from another light (if women were physically stronger than men, would we see a reversal of sexist oppression? If we lived in a society where the most valued human attributes were not heredity, would nepotism die out?). However, her story has such poor pacing, my attention span frequently wandered. I stuck with it because after long lapses of meandering world-building, she usu ...more
Ibrinar
Apr 11, 2016 Ibrinar rated it really liked it
Good. But you know what the first two books really could have used? Better knowledge of the capabilities of sorcerers. They are presented as being far out of the league of normal people. and from what we have seen in a straight up fight they would crush normal soldiers. (Though it is unclear whether they have the stamina or the area of effect attacks to crush armies.) However we don't know whether they have automatic defences against arrows from stealth. It is unclear whether you could kill them ...more
Lex Kent
Apr 06, 2016 Lex Kent rated it really liked it
I seem to really enjoy Jane Fletcher's writing. While this is not as great as her Celaeno series, this is an overall enjoyable f/f fantasy book. You immediately fall for the main character Tevi, and how shes treated, in the beginning, breaks your heart. I think Fletcher does a great job of writing likable characters that you can get behind. While Tevi might not be the smartest person socially, it's explainable by her cultural upbringing. Jemeryl's character is not as fleshed out yet, but she doe ...more
Lisa Alba
Mar 23, 2014 Lisa Alba rated it really liked it
Its a good book tho I was expecting more from it
Elaine Burnes
Aug 17, 2010 Elaine Burnes rated it liked it
Shelves: lesbian
Warrior/outcast Tevi meets Sorcerer Jemeryl and they head off on a quest to find a chalice important to both women, though neither likely knows how much. The first half dragged and dragged through Tevi's background. It really picks up once she meets Jem, and then all that background kind of pays off (the bit with the eyesight was terrific). Klara, the magpie (oddly depicted as a crow on the cover) familiar of Jem's steals the show. I can't decide if I'll stick with the rest of the books.
Nina
Feb 19, 2016 Nina rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club, lgbt, romance
I think if a story makes you curious enough to want to read the sequel it did something right. I've definitely read more elaborate stories but if I take a step back and imagine a younger me reading the book it would have had a more powerful impact for sure. Readers like to take stories apart and 'find faults' (me included) but sometimes I'd just like to see it for what it is: a cute story with LGBT protagonists on an adventure turning some stereotypes on its head.
Kylie
I picked this up from the library out of sheer amazement that it was sitting on the shelf at all - I knew that the publishers specialised in lesbian fiction, and was suprised to see our library system have something reasonably niche.

This might not be the most original fantasy novel, but it is well written with sympathetic and likeable characters, and makes for an entertaining read.
Kin
Mar 09, 2016 Kin rated it liked it
Excellent worldbuilding as it delves into the anthropological effects that magic would have on power structures and cultures, even isolated cultures. The main character is someone you can't help but root for, and rage in secondhand embarrassment at her misfortune. I'm eager to delve into the rest of the series, especially if the books stay with this character.
Kate
Jul 21, 2011 Kate rated it it was ok
This book was really terrible. There were moments when I thought things were picking up but just when the author hit a groove it would collapse again. I might try the second in the series just to see if the author improves her craft with practice.
Cheri
Mar 14, 2010 Cheri rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed getting to know Tevi and Jemeryl and absolutely look forward to reading the second book in the series.

My review is located at www.lezficrev.blogspot.com
JoyfulK
Jul 20, 2010 JoyfulK rated it really liked it
This is the first in a series of four. I didn't read them in order, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying this one when I finally got hold of it! Good fantasy.
Jimmy Hanson
Jan 06, 2011 Jimmy Hanson rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, set-aside, f-f
A fantastic read, but heavier and more detailed than what I have time for right now. Will DEFINITELY come back to it soon.
Lazy Seagull
3.5 stars. Solid read. Interesting concept with alright execution. The writing was pretty solid.
Bogdina
Jul 19, 2011 Bogdina rated it liked it
Kind of ridiculous, but I still got the sequel from Amazon when I couldn't get it from the library.
Binky Bowberg
Mar 16, 2009 Binky Bowberg rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite series of all time - strong female protagonists.
Amanda
Aug 17, 2013 Amanda rated it it was ok
The premise is awesome - the book, however, falls flat.
Megan
Apr 28, 2012 Megan rated it it was amazing
I own and have read the whole series and it was awesome!
Ulla
Jul 27, 2011 Ulla rated it it was amazing
Calaeno and Lyremouth series are both great!
Nichole
Jul 09, 2010 Nichole rated it did not like it
:-(
Zoran
Zoran added it
May 26, 2016
Antje R
Antje R marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Nicky Watson
Nicky Watson marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
  • Lady Knight
  • Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • The Clinic (Tristaine, #1)
  • Shadows of Aggar (The Amazons of Aggar)
  • A Journey of the Heart (When Women Were Warriors, #2)
  • Nightshade (Arravan, #1)
  • Warrior's Valor (Supreme Constellations, #3)
  • The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)
  • The Pyramid Waltz
  • The Devil Inside (Cain Casey, #1)
  • The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin
  • A Pirate's Heart
  • The Salbine Sisters
  • Goldenseal (Garoul, #1)
  • Sugar Moon
Jane Fletcher is a GCLS award-winning writer and has also been short-listed for the Gaylactic Spectrum and Lambda Literary awards. She is author of two ongoing sets of fantasy/romance novels: the Celaeno series—The Walls of Westernfort, Rangers at Roadsend, The Temple at Landfall, Dynasty of Rogues, and Shadow of the Knife; and the Lyremouth Chronicles—The Exile and The Sorcerer, The Traitor and T ...more
More about Jane Fletcher...

Lyremouth Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Traitor And the Chalice (Lyremouth Chronicles, #2)
  • The Empress And the Acolyte (Lyremouth Chronicles, #3)
  • The High Priest and the Idol (Lyremouth Chronicles, #4)