Blank-133x176
Yoga for a World Out o...

Michael Stone

Yoga for a World Out of Balance: Teachings on Ethics and Social Action

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  8 reviews

Every
aspect of our life has a part to play in the greater ecological system, Michael
Stone explains in this book. How do we bring this large view to our yoga
practice? According to Stone, our responsibility as human beings is to live in
a sustainable and respectful way. He says two things need to change. First, we
need to understand the relationship between our actions and the

Published July 29th 2011 by Shambhala Publications, Inc. (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Yoga for a World Out of Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga for a World Out of Balance

Donna Pelley
I just finished reading this book my Michael Stone, and I feel I should start right back at the beginning again. It's not a huge book but Stone packs a lot in and it's deep stuff. I feel it would make a great text book and provide a teacher and students with great material for weekly lectures and discussions. There were many times during this book that I wanted to ask questions so I could understand better what the author meant. BTW, this book isn't about yoga as in asanas or yoga poses, rather...more
Frank Jude
Jan 07, 2012 Frank Jude rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Yoga Students as well as those interested in ethics.
This is one of the books I have used with my students studying the precepts, as four of the five yamas of the classical yoga tradition are the same as the buddhist precepts. And, the fifth yama, non-grasping certainly has linkage to the fifth precept of non-intoxication -- which Stone also points out.

I especially appreciate his working in of David Loy's concept of "lack" and how it influences behavior and the toxic consumption of our economic system. The other important contribution Stone makes...more
This book examines the ancient yoga sutras, focusing specifically on the yamas, and works to apply them to today's world. However, I found it to be hard to read and difficult to understand.

The central tenet of the book is that yoga cannot only apply to life on the mat, it has to reach into other areas of our lives and exist in a dualist place. I can accept this argument, but didn't find that his commentary on the modern interpretation of the yamas held the kind of thought provoking commentary I...more
Celestia
Being an Ashtanga yoga practitioner and activist, I really enjoyed this book. Stone presents ancient yogic wisdom so that it can be applied to the current context of today's fast-paced, attention-deficit, aggrieved world.

This book helps the reader to understand that everything they do, on the mat or off, has a direct impact on the world around us. A great reminder that we are but a part of the web of life, and that all is interconnected.
Monica Flynn
Definitely one to dip in and out of again and again. Michael discusses how a yoga practice might extend into the world in our attitude toward each other and the environment. In an tangential way he brings a Buddhist Marxist critique to his discussion about our Western life style.
Alexa Mergen
A wise friend told me that to be happy one must live in alignment with one's values. This book is helpful for clarifying values and figuring out how to live in alignment with them. You do not have to be a "yoga person" to be enriched by this book. You just have to be a person.
Ruth
really enjoying this book
Cristina
Cristina marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Nadinedebussy
Nadinedebussy marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
radiobody
radiobody marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Dylan Galos-touchévoulé
Dylan Galos-touchévoulé is currently reading it
Aug 19, 2014
Nadia
Nadia marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Geoff
Geoff marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Ryan Gardner
Ryan Gardner marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Felipe Costa
Felipe Costa marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Ashinpannissara
Ashinpannissara marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Morgan
Morgan added it
Jul 08, 2014
Chrystal Knight
Chrystal Knight marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
The Inner Tradition of Yoga: A Guide to Yoga Philosophy for the Contemporary Practitioner Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life Freeing the Body, Freeing the Mind: Writings on the Connections between Yoga and Buddhism Fourtold Mathematics for Physics: A Guided Tour for Graduate Students