Guide to Pirate Parenting

Guide to Pirate Parenting

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  12 reviews
If you're like most parents, you long to raise your children as pirates but just don't know how. In "Guide to Pirate Parenting," Cap'n Billy "The Butcher" MacDougall provides everything you need to know to turn your little powder monkeys into happy, healthy buccaneers. In Guide to Pirate Parenting you'll learn: . Ten benefits of raising a pirate . At what age your child sh...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Cold Tree Press

To ask other readers questions about Guide to Pirate Parenting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guide to Pirate Parenting

Aaron Williams
Silly book - but I would like a book that REALLY teaches me how to raise me childrens as Pirates of the Sea!
Rachel
I had expected this book to be completely fluff -- and it almost is, but not quite. Peppered throughout this piratical parody are a plethora of pertinent parenting tips which, if you remove the words "pirate" and "prisoner" and replace them with "child" and "sibling," might actually be useful and applicable in the average household. Of course, given that the book is first and foremost a parody of other parenting advice books, readers may wish to take with a grain of salt (cod) any advice they do...more
Rick
I'm all in favor of reading silly, funny books, but this one is really stupid. Parts aren't even clever. For example, the author compares the ninja lifestyle to the pirate lifestyle in the following way: "Ninjas live a solitary lifestyle. Pirates live with a great bunch of other pirates." Well, isn't that observation a knee-slapper? Amazingly, this brief book won the 2009 Parent to Parent Adding Wisdom Award for Humor. I shudder to think what the competition for that award was like that year.
Alison Condliffe
Meant to be funny but ended up being annoying. Quite a good idea but not enough to support a whole book. Nothing practical and I don't have time to waste.
Chris Brogan
Jun 25, 2009 Chris Brogan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
I got a great kick out of this book. Part funny, part "you know, he has a point there," Tim Bete brought a really decent chuckle and snort out of me a few times with this very slender book. A few times, the piratey stuff gets pushed a little too far, but overall, it comes off as funny and not cheesy.

I'm keeping my powder dry, and I think this book is a must for parents.
Angie S
My husband is totally excited about the possibility of transforming our minivan into a pirate vessel. He is using Captain's reverse psychology methods on me, and I have to admit they are working. My little pirates love all the new techniques and marooning them to the produce section at the grocery store has done wonders! Thank you Captain!
Pkelsay
This book is a cute but very superficial take on how to raise your children as pirates. There are a few parenting tips, and some amusing descriptions of pirate-related activities such as converting the family minivan into a pirate vessel.
aaron
this is an interesting read by tim bete...a comedy with some honestly good tidbits thrown in for good measure. i don't know that anything else really needs to be said for this...the title kind of says it all! enjoy.
Rose
This was a fun read. Not very realistic, but some good / goofy parenting points were made, the main one being don't make it more complicated than it is.
Rich
Feb 10, 2010 Rich rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rich by: emily bowen
This is the only parenting book I have ever read. It would get 5 stars but for the disparaging remarks against ninjas. Still very insightful, though.
Rachel
love this book!!! wish I could have had it when the kids were younger!!!
Rach
Rach marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Michael
Michael is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jan 20, 2014
Marcie
Marcie is currently reading it
Jan 05, 2014
Meryki
Meryki added it
Aug 07, 2013
Elaine
Elaine marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Tiffany
Tiffany marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
In the Beginning... There Were No Diapers: Laughing and Learning in the First Years of Fatherhood