Start by marking “The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Search (Eve Duncan, #3)

The Search (Eve Duncan #3)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,904 Ratings  ·  285 Reviews
He strikes without warning.
He kills without mercy.
He's only just begun.

As part of an elite K-9 search and rescue team, Sarah Patrick and her golden retriever, Monty, have a gift for finding what no one else can. But their latest assignment is not like the others. This time Sarah is being forced to take part in a deadly mission ... by a man who knows enough about her past t
Published May 1st 2001 by Bantam (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Search, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Search

Louisa
Jul 31, 2015 Louisa rated it it was amazing
Man, such a great book, loved reading Sarah and Logan's story again! So great, and now I can't wait to read more of the series!
Kate Phelps
Sep 11, 2011 Kate Phelps rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Johansen book I read beacause it was a gift many yearsbago...and i fell in love with Iris Johansen's books from that moment!! i was hooked! I could not put this book down. I started reading it at 6pm and finished in just enouhlgh time to get to work the next morning...made for a miserable day at work, but it was one of the best books i have ever read...now I pre order all her book before they are released! I can't get enough!!!!
Elizabeth Noah Astle
I enjoyed this book however, I am not sure why it is in with the Eve Duncan series. There were maybe a dozen pages dedicated to Eve. This story focused on Sarah Patrick and Monty who we were introduced to in the previous book, The Killing Game, and her relationship with John Logan.

This story gave insight to Sarah and what the hold that Madden had over her and about the relationship between her and John Logan. I think the story focused more on their relationship than it did on the threat from Rud
Dawn
Jul 13, 2013 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gah, another one I didn't realize was a romance. Maybe I just need to stick to authors I know. It seems like all these romances stick to a formula. Take a man and woman who hate each other. Put them in a tense, stressful situation where they are forced to share physical space. They have wild sex. And more sex. One of them has commitment issues/is in denial about his or her feelings. Cue another tense/stressful situation where they are forced apart. The denial falls away and they realize they are ...more
Jerome
Jan 28, 2016 Jerome rated it it was ok
Inexplicably decided to read this in eighth grade. An OK but stiff, predictable, and often poorly written novel of a kidnapping, a terrorist attack, and a whiny woman’s search for her murdered daughter (aided by her ever-present and apparently mind-reading wonder dog). The action is fine, and fortunately there is little in the way of romance, but the plot leaves some loose ends and often feels stretched. The romance that does make it into the plot comes out of nowhere.

The characters can be super
✼Danielle✼
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blurb: He strikes without warning....he kills without mercy....he's only just begun....

Iris Johansen, the New York Times bestselling author of The Killing Game and The Face of Deception, delivers a gripping new novel of breathtaking suspense and explosive adventure. It is the story of a courageous woman who is coerced into tracking down a ruthless killer--but as she hunts out her prey with stunning accuracy, she becomes the object of his wrath....

As part of an elite K-9 searc
Kristen
Iris Johansen is a solid, strong author, and her books can be depended upon for interesting characters, exciting storylines, and lots of suspense and action. This was no different, and I enjoyed it.

The story tosses you right into the thick of the action from the very first page. Although there are ebbs and flows, the excitement is maintained pretty consistently throughout the entire book. Johansen knows how to write a story that keeps you turning pages, and this one did that for me.

I also loved
Emily
Billionaire John Logan is not beyond using every means available to him to get what he wants, even blackmail. When his research site is attacked by an old enemy, he needs the help of Sarah Patrick and her dog Monty who helps uncovers victims living and dead. The only obstacle in his way, she hates him with a passion.

I picked this up not realizing it was the third book in a series, so I felt like I had walked into the middle of the story. I felt lost a bit with some of the history between the cha
Eleanor Jethro
Jan 27, 2015 Eleanor Jethro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irish Johansen has done it again. A great thriller read - very fast moving.
The interaction between Sarah, Monty and Logan is very moving.
And of course Eve, Joe & Jane get into the book as well.
How Monty - a search & rescue dog who is trained only to listen to Sarah - let's Logan do for him is surprising. Logan manages to get Sarah & Monty involved in the murders that are going on around and because of him. How they all manage to find love int he book is surprising - especially Monty
JBradford
This is an interesting semi-departure from the continuing series about Eve Duncan and Joe Quinn, who appear in this book as secondary characters. Instead, Johansen develops a relationship between John Logan, Eve’s former lover, and Sarah Patrick, who with her beloved golden retriever, Monty, is part of an elite K-9 search-and-rescue team, and who was introduced in the preceding novel in the series.

Logan has had a group of scientists working in a hidden laboratory in Columbia to develop something
Cheryl
Jun 23, 2009 Cheryl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up because of a character in a previous book - Eve Duncan who is a forensic scupter specializing in children. A different character was followed - Sarah Patrick - who handles a rescue dog. She's one tough lady without a love interest other than her dog. Well, she's got a love interest now.

In this story, Logan has pissed off someone who becomes a mass murderer. The story line plays across 3 continents and pulls in Sarah along with bit parts for Eve.

Great read!
Liz
Jul 04, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
I was surprised that this book wasn't from Eve's point of view but from Sarah's (since it is part of the Eve Duncan series). I enjoyed reading it though, and like Sarah's and Monty's (her dog's) characters.

*As always, Iris Johansen's use of Jesus and God frustrates me.
Anne Holly
Jul 27, 2014 Anne Holly rated it really liked it
Shelves: keeper
Picked this up used, though I think I've read this before - the dog named Monty stuck out for me - but it seems that was in pre-GR days. In any case, I didn't remember much, so I enjoyed this second read. It's the third in a series (though the cover doesn't really let you know that), so some of it was wasted on me, having occurred in previous books, but I liked the main characters well enough, and the dog, and it was quite suspenseful. I could have done without the wolf thing. The heroine was a ...more
Shannon
Dec 03, 2015 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 3 in the Eve Duncan series. Eve is not a major character is this book. Sarah Patrick and John Logan are the major players in their own mystery/suspense adventure. It's nice to see these characters evolve, but as far as Eve Duncan goes, in my opinion it would be a spin-off.

This book is about a revenge plot against Logan. Sarah is, once again blackmailed into helping Logan. As the story continues, despite the danger that awaits them, Sarah and Logan find themselves falling in love. Kn
Sarah Adamson
Mar 11, 2015 Sarah Adamson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Mary
Mar 25, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Book 3 in the Eve Duncan series.

John Logan needs to find and rescue a highly valued scientist, so he goes to Sarah Patrick and her search dog, Monty. But nothing is easy and the each step they take to find and secure the scientist leads to more danger and death - because someone from Logan's past wants Logan to suffer and then die.

Fun, entertaining adventure/romance romp. There is less mystery in this story than in previous books in the series and Eve Duncan only appears tangentially, but it is
Amber Senser
Dec 06, 2012 Amber Senser rated it it was amazing
Great book!!!
Kristina Van Hoose
Overall, Johansen does a great job keeping readers engaged in the story. Sarah Patrick is a strong female character, though she does have trouble receiving help. Johansen using backstory to explain this problem rather than just having it be a statement of feminist views.

At times, the betrayals are hard to follow, and the characters who seem to know everything have oddly not done anything about it. Logan and Galen are both driven to protect Sarah, yet they don't tell her who the betrayer is. The
Yvann S
May 26, 2012 Yvann S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“If you get my dog killed, you’ll wish you’d never been born”

Sarah Patrick and her dog Monty are inseparable; they have to be in order to do a good job as a search and rescue partnership. After an unscrupulous politician “lends” Sarah to John Logan, a businessman whose interests in South America have gone awry, Sarah is dragged into John’s life more firmly than she would like. John’s nemesis has realised how valuable she is to him and is determined to make the most of that knowledge…

Well, this b
Jessica
Apr 25, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The main focus in this one is Sarah, Monty and Logan, which confuses me as it's still listed under the Eve Duncan series.

No matter, I actually enjoyed this glimpse into what makes Sarah tick, and why she behaves the way she does. Again, she's a strong, independent, opinionated woman, but remarkably, she gets along well with Eve (I would have thought they'd butt heads...seen enough A-type personality women butting heads in my life to be taken aback by their easy friendship...)

Although the search-
Uri
Oct 23, 2013 Uri rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Iris Johansen fans, people who like stories with plenty of action.
Recommended to Uri by: My uncle
First of all people who pick this book up have to realize that even though this book is officially part of the Eve Duncan series (book #3) this book is not focused on her, but on Sara Patrick and her dog Monty, who are part of an elite K-9 search and rescue team. But don't let that discourage you, this is a great book and Eve Duncan does appear on the book.

I liked this book a lot and it was a pretty quick read. I finished it in less than two nights as the development of the story and its events
Sandra
Depois de ter lido o livro "Jogo mortal" e ter adorado, a ânsia de ler este era grande.

No entanto, a alma que este livro nos transmite é mais romântica, mais sensível e emocional. Mas a adrenalina tão presente nos primeiro livro continua.

Apesar da maior parte das personagens do primeiro livro se manter, o foco desta vez é mantido na Sarah Patrick e no Logan.

Admirei imenso a personagem Sarah e muitas vezes identifiquei-me com o que ela pensava ou com o que ela fazia perante as dificuldades. Mas c
Deana M
Feb 03, 2012 Deana M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Patrick and her golden retriever Monty are part of a search-and-rescue team. Their job is to go in to disasters and search for bodies, both alive and dead. John Logan is a powerful business man who has worked with Sarah before on a case with Eve Duncan. Sarah does not really like Logan because he is manipulative and usually gets what he wants. This time, he needs Sarah and Monty to travel to Columbia to find a man that works for him who has been taken prisoner by an old enemy (Rudzac). Sar ...more
Susan Kelley
Nov 19, 2008 Susan Kelley rated it really liked it
Sarah Patrick and her golden lab Monty are one of the best search-and-rescue pairs in the business. That's exactly why John Logan wants them, has to have them. A key employee of his has been kidnapped in South America - the kidnapping has nothing to do with the employee and everything to do with Logan. Once he forces Sarah into the job, Logan realizes the grave danger he has exposed Sarah and Monty to. Now he'll do everything he can to protect her from the constant threat of his past - whether s ...more
*Lily's*
Mar 06, 2016 *Lily's* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery, july
***
Kem
Feb 27, 2016 Kem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read. Non-stop thrills. Love the characters, love the plot, and so happy to see Logan and Sarah find each other. Eve, Joe, and Jane have made a unit together at last even though they weren't the focus in this book. And last, but not least, Monty found love in the most unexpected place. It's always good when the bad guy gets dead. This one was especially bad. I wish his death had been more drawn out and painful.
Cláudia
Há bastante tempo que não lia um livro da Iris Johansen e este serviu para concluir definitivamente que não vale a pena ler mais. A história policial é banal, as personagens parecem-me muito superficiais e o avançar da relação entre a Sarah e o John é extremamente apressada. "Não gosto dele, afinal gosto dele, vou casar com ele", como quem estala os dedos?
A escrita é também bastante vulgar.
Lês-se bem. Nada mais.
Leann
Mar 13, 2011 Leann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romance fans
Though I'm not completely sure at this point why "The Search" is part of the Eve Duncan series I did find it intriguing. I'm hoping that in some of the other books in the series Logan, Sara, Monty, and Maggie will all reappear. I did like the book, but I'll admit it wasn't the best of Iris Johansen's writing. The threat to them didn't seem real enough in my opinion and we were supposed to focus more on the growing bond between Logan and Sara which is foretold when the "girl from the wrong side o ...more
Cat
Feb 22, 2016 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book after needing a break from a murder mystery series. I recall reading the first Eve Duncan book 15 years ago and wasn't quite sure if I'd finished the second, but decide to start with The Search. What a quick read, it drew me right in! I managed to read it in 2 nights.

I like how Johansen mixes romance with suspense and enjoyed the Sarah / Logan story. On to the next one!
Maura
What's The Name o...: Mystery/Suspence/Romance Novel [s] 4 42 Feb 14, 2014 08:15AM
  • Out of the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #3)
  • Dead Certain (Dead #2; John Mancini #4)
  • Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)
  • Lucky's Lady (Doucet, #2)
  • Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...

Eve Duncan (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • The Face Of Deception (Eve Duncan, #1)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • Body of Lies (Eve Duncan, #4)
  • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
  • Countdown (Eve Duncan, #6)
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Blood Game (Eve Duncan, #9)
  • Eight Days To Live (Eve Duncan, #10)
  • Chasing The Night (Eve Duncan, #11; Catherine Ling, #1)