Start by marking “Blink” as Want to Read:
Blink

Blink

3.07 of 5 stars 3.07  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Meet dentist Brian Mallory. He's always considered himself a grounded man. A rational man. A reasonable man. But what he finds in the mouth of nineteen year old Amy Gladwell one afternoon during a routine cleaning makes him begin to question his own sanity.

It's amazing how quickly everything can change in the blink of an eye.

From the author of the Pandora's Children colle...more
Published October 3rd 2011 by Bradley Convissar, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Blink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blink

Bradley Convissar
Nov 23, 2011 Bradley Convissar rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
A short, simple short story. If you are looking for in-your-face gore or violence, don't waste your time. If you don't like horror or sci-fi, don't waste your time. If you enjoy creepy, Twilight Zone-ish stories that make you go hmmmm, and you have ten minutes to spare, go for it.
T.L. Bodine
This was the first thing I read on my new Kindle. I had gone prowling through the free downloads, clicking on everything that looked interesting, and the giant eye caught my, um, eye. I also co-authored a screenplay once titled "Blink" so the name stuck out for me.

This is a fast read. I finished it in about half an hour and set it down feeling unsettled and curious -- exactly the response you want for a horror story.

Overall, the best part of "Blink" is the suggestion of a world beyond the conf...more
Steve
Another very quick read from Bradley Convissar. The twist with this one is intriguing: the author is a dentist in "real life", and the story is about a dentist. Makes me wonder if he came up with this short story while one of his patients was sitting in the examination chair...
Al
Sunny
I thought it was a good, short read. I got this e-book for free from amazon.com. I don't think I can't get into any details without giving things away due to the length of the story. However, I think I can say it does a good job of showing what goes on in a dentist's head as he is peering into someone's mouth or waiting on the next appointment. It helps that the author is a dentist in real life. Also, I think someone mentioned it already but it does have a "Twilight Zone" feel. It does not have...more
Denise Koopman
I hated this book.It was way to short and made no sense at all to me.I was lost from the beginning to the end.Don't read it at all.
Kelly
Dec 28, 2012 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: nook
I picked this up for free via Barnes & Noble for my Nook. When I grabbed it, I didn't realize it was a short story, although the cover pic certainly states it. It was free and it looked kind of creepy, and that worked for me. I loved that it was a short story. We need more short stories. I actually forgot it was on my Nook until standing in a long line at the post office. This was the perfect read for that line.

It was a quick science fiction type story. I liked how the story flowed without...more
Cathy  Keaton
I found this flash fiction for free in the Kindle store and it caught my eye based on a few reviews stating how shocking and horrific the big plot twist is. I read the premise and found myself wanting to discover just what these reviewers were talking about. Plus, I had the time to read something only 3,500 words long, and had the money to buy something free—just barely.

But, I gotta say, the big scary reveal that is supposed to freak me out really didn't. As the main character realizes he's see...more
Kate
This story is more science fiction than horror, though it does have a slight creepy factor to it. Brian goes through a routine checkup and cleaning on a patient that he's had since she was a little girl, but this checkup is a bit more strange than routine.

I'm not going to spoil what happened in this short story, but I will say that I wasn't as entertained as I had anticipated after reading the other reviews. It would have helped if there was more information about the science fiction part of the...more
Dany
A forum friend posted this and the cover caught my eye. Pun intended. Then the synopsis hooked me. It was good! I just had to know what the dentist found in that patient's mouth. Most my forum friends know I'm not a fan of short stories. This was a pleasant surprise. The dentist was a likeable guy. I enjoyed being inside his head and his brief reflections about his experiences with his patients. After that particular experience, I would have been just like him. I would have worried that I had ju...more
Jim Glover
Great short story. kind of creeped me out a little.
Brian Harmon
This was a very well-told and imaginative short story. The author does a fine job of ballancing his proffessional knowledge of the protagonist's dentistry skills with the actual amount of information the reader cares to hear about, leaving the prose informed without becoming mechanical or boring. The ending is great, building to a chilling stop and leaving the reader wondering what the future holds for Dr. Brian. My only real complaint is that I found the story's dialog forced and unconvincing a...more
Briana
I had expected a demon or vampire story, thinking that it would be amusing if one of those creatures would actually go to a dentist and then fang out on his poor white-coated unsuspecting ass.

It wasn't what I was expecting at all. Not all piercings are what they appear to be. A short horror tale which had me remembering the shadowy fate of Ambassador Londo Mollari from Centauri Prime (Babylon 5 television series) and which was reminiscent of Robert A. Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters."
Stewart
This was a short, and quite good little story. I didn't really know what to expect. I saw it for free download on amazon for my kindle and I took advantage of that. Read it in about an hour and I was a little sleepy while I read it until I got about 75% through it. I won't spoil it for anyone but I sat straight up in my chair and was very intent on finished after that. If you have the chance to get this I say go for it. You won't be disappointed.
Brittany
This didn't turn out at all like I was expecting!!! How interesting, I really liked it - the dentist was great. I liked reading the dental terms for the magnifying glasses that dentists wear, I found that interesting. :) Now I want to know what that thing was, and if it was trying to take over the world... all I can say is, I hope there's a longer version in the future.
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
BLINK was a quick creepy story. This is the 2nd short story I have read by this author and I must say I like his style.

In Blink a dentist does a routine check-up/cleaning on a patient. As he is doing his work inside her mouth something strange happens......

I reccomend this to readers that like short spooky stories!
Amanda
Eh. Glad it was free. I don't think it was terrible, but really the story just got interesting as it ended. The tongue ring is using the young adults as hosts? Okay fine. Now expand on that! That is the best part of the story idea here. Too bad the story ended before it went into it.
Adventure_chick
Really liked this short story. I would love to see it in a novel form but feel it could lose some of it's punch if that happened. I suppose it's a 'be careful what you wish for type situation'. All in all, this story is a fun little twist on a dentist visit!
Naomi
Probably my favorite BC short story. This thing was just downright creepy, yet cool at the same time. I have read several short stories of his and this one also seemed "most realistic"(yep, I said it!) and flowed the best.
Lori
Stupid short story not worth the time it took to read. A dentist is freaked out by a girl's tongue ring that he insists 'blinks' at him and indicates the end of the world is near. WAY out there....
Tamara
I'm surprised I liked it. It was a really entertaining short story that had me WTF-ing for a few minutes. I'm pretty sure readers shared the same thoughts as the dentist which really amuses me :)
Paige

I really enjoyed this short story and wished there was more. I have a sorta phobia about eyes so this scared me just the right amount.
Very short story, not what I was expecting, but I enjoyed it - worth the 20 minutes it took to read, but I wish it had been longer.

Marti
It seemed like more of a book sample than an actual novel. At least it didn't take me long to read it and it was a free download.
Lauren
Dec 01, 2011 Lauren added it
I thought it was rather creepy and I didn't enjoy it that much. Not suggestive or inappropriate, just didn't like it too much.
Jen
Sep 29, 2013 Jen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
Omgomgomgomgomg!!!! Creepy!!! I have NO idea how I'm going to get to sleep tonight! Kindle freebie, short and scary!
Cathy
Short story that was pretty scary. Sci fi concerning a dentist who finds something in the mouth of his latest patient.
Toya
ok i dont know that to think here, I'm left stranded.
this would of been a good book if it was longer.
Nelson Mays
his was my first short story. I guess I wanted a little more. It was still very interesting though.
  • The Night Everything Changed
  • Haunted
  • They
  • Monster in the Mirror - A Short Story
  • Specimen 313
  • The Mortician's Wife
  • The Basement
  • Miss Polly Had a Dolly (Emma Frost#2)
  • Creative Spirit
  • House Guest
  • The Loch Ness Legacy (Tyler Locke, #4)
  • The Nightmare Within
  • The Monster Within Idea
  • Anything Can Be Dangerous
  • Sarah's Diary
  • Perfect Little Town
  • First Flight
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
I am a dentist by day, a writer of dark fiction at night, and a father, husband, and not-so-proud pet owner when time permits.

I am the author of several dozen short stories, four novellas, and will be releasing my first novel, Blood, Smoke and Ashes, a supernatural thriller, in early 2013.

I was born in Georgia, but moved to southern New Jersey before I could be forced to be an Atlanta Braves fan....more
More about Bradley Convissar...
Last Dance of a Black Widow Blood, Smoke and Ashes Dogs of War Butchered Pandora's Children: The Complete Nightmares Book 1