Start by marking “The Dreables” as Want to Read:
The Dreables

The Dreables

Sam Jones’ holiday with Gran is all baking and cats (yawn). But when she gets a cry for help from her old village, everything changes. Something bad is happening and only Gran can fix it. But when she falls victim to a shapeshifter’s trick, Sam is left alone with just dog, cat and cherry bakewells. Things look bleak..But the Dreables haven’t bargained for Gran’s secret gif ...more
Published October 2011 by Lucky Bat Books

To ask other readers questions about The Dreables, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreables

Carol
Jun 14, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
I read this book thinking of my grandchildren. It has a magic of times past. It is the kind of book I enjoyed as a child and still do. I am not sure how children of this electronic age would feel.
Diane
Apr 05, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
What a delight! I enjoyed reading the first book in a series by author RA Jones. This series will be the Merryweathers Mysteries featuring Sam Jones and adventures with his grandmother, Gwladys Mary Merryweather. Her dog Trooper and the cat Ginger will also play a part in helping to solve the mysteries.
The beginning of this book has nine year old Sam dreading a week visit with his grandmother. Sam’s parents are going to Peru for a walking or yomping vacation and want Sam to stay with his grandmo
Martha Bryce
Apr 12, 2012 Martha Bryce rated it really liked it
When our kids were little, my mother, a tiny, wizened, deeply tanned and wrinkled woman delighted in tormenting them by pretending that she was a witch. The kids now have kids of their own but down deep, they still are not entirely certain that my mother was joking. After all, who really knows who their grandparents are?
This is a delightful book and I would love to see this author create more books in the same vein. The characters are well developed and all kids will really be able to identify
Pop Bop
Dec 14, 2016 Pop Bop rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Barrow-wights! A Top Drawer Middle Grade Fantasy Adventure

Our hero, Sam, starts out as a whinging mope who is crabby about having to spend some time with his Gran while his parents go off gallivanting. Gran isn't too thrilled about having Sam underfoot. The pessimist in me wasn't sure I wanted to soldier on through this just so Sam and Gran could eventually bond over some lame nature magic or enchanted brownies. Well, excuuuuuse me for being such a snot.

The preliminaries are gotten out of the wa
Rachel (aka Ms4Tune)
description

My review can also be found on our blog Paein and Ms4Tune

There’s something really magical about this book. It reminds me of the old stories my grandparents used to read to me as a child but also reminded me of newer books such as the spiderwick chronicles.

The Dreables is a story about the past. Sam Jones hates having to stay with his old Gran, she doesn’t have a colour tv, she’s always forcing him to eat sardines and broccoli and she’s always dragging him out for the day to really boring places
DeAnna Knippling
May 03, 2012 DeAnna Knippling rated it really liked it
Ten-year-old Sam Jones has about had it with getting shuffled off to Gran's house whenever his parents go on hiking vacations: she's superstitious, has tons of nonsensical rules (no whistling after dark), and never has any interest in letting him do anything fun. But one day while they're on "vacation" together, her car breaks down, and a girl appears in the mist from their radiator, asking for Mother Merryweather's help. The Dreables have returned...

This book, a very enjoyable read, walks a fin
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
Dreables is a short and enjoyable read for kids. Sam Jones, a 10-year old, visits his grandmother, Gwladys Merryweather, for a week, with so much sulking to stay there. He thinks his grandmother is so old-fashioned and she keeps on mumbling about certain things, which mostly doesn't make sense.

But, things change, when a girl nearly his age calls for help from his grandmother. Sam's boring days suddenly turns adventurous and he learns more about his grandmother and the Merryweathers. Sam helps hi
H.A.
May 15, 2012 H.A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
This is the first book in the Merryweather Mystery Series by R. A. Jones.

I would give this book 4.5 Stars.
I haven't read YA books in some time but this was a good book to get me back into it.
Sam is a great character. As is his grandmother. It was nice to see the changes in their relationship and Sams opinion change throughout the book.
I don't want to give too many details away but both characters did an amazing amount of growing(personally).

What I liked
- there was a dog. And a cat. I'm a big ani
Neha Verma
Jan 17, 2012 Neha Verma rated it really liked it
Dreables is a short, delightful story for kids. Somewhat gothic in nature it’s the story of a little boy Sam Jones who visits his grandmother Merryweathers for a week. Soon enough he realizes that his loving gran is keeping secrets from him. When she dodges all his questions about a strange incident that happens while they are travelling in their car, Sam takes the matter in his own hands and hides in the car following her to an unknown place where surely enough he encounters the beastly creatur ...more
Kim
Apr 16, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
I love children's literature! It seems that the older I get, the more I turn to books with a younger audience in mind. I suppose because it reminds me of simpler times & of once having the ability to wrap an innocent imagination completely around just about anything!

It was like a breath of fresh air to read a book based on winning by being responsible and being NICE. It took a bit of magic, brainpower and even a few KIND words to triumph against the very bad Dreables. What a concept!

I must
Bmquiram
Apr 09, 2012 Bmquiram rated it it was amazing
The Dreables: A Merryweathers Mystery by R A Jones is a very good book. The main character, Sam Jones, is a young boy who thinks like many young boys think. He believes the activities his parents partake in are odd and dull, and his grandmother is old and lives in a different time.
He couldn’t be more wrong. Throughout the course of this story Sam meets some very interesting characters and learned some tough lessons.
This story made me think back to what I was like as a child. I can recall think
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Sep 25, 2012 Merissa (Archaeolibrarian) rated it really liked it
This is a children's book, written with children in mind but which is just as good for adults to read. There are some subtle, and not so subtle, messages in this which are wonderful without being too preachy! And above all, Sam is a normal 10 year old boy! He doesn't like staying with his gran anymore because she doesn't even own an ipad!!! And he definitely doesn't want to go and visit the Cat Lady.

But while he's with his gran he learns a very important lesson which sets his feet on the path of
Serena Yates
Nov 24, 2012 Serena Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a wonderful book a bout a ten-year-old boy, Sam, who is getting bored with doing "kids' stuff". He is even becoming too old to enjoy spending time with his grandmother. He wants something exciting to happen. And when it does? It seems as if he if in far over his head.

Sam turns out to be quite the adventurer, though. I won't say too much here, so I don't spoil the surprise, but I have to say I did enjoy following him as he gradually solves the mystery of the strange goings-on.

Recommended
Eileen
Jul 25, 2012 Eileen rated it really liked it
This is a YA book, and I'm always much kinder to them ... I enjoyed this and thought it was well-written. The relationship between the main character and his grandmother was moving and real. There wasn't much to it - I read it in a couple of hours. But a nice little start to a series about these characters.
Kirsten Lenius
Jun 04, 2012 Kirsten Lenius rated it really liked it
Ten year old Sam goes to visit with his gran and finds that there are more reasons to pay attention to what she says and does than he would have ever thought.

This is a very nice children's book.
P.A.
Oct 14, 2012 P.A. rated it it was amazing
A joyous escape. Where would any of us be without the power of food?
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2012
Steph
Steph rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2012
Anthony
Anthony rated it it was ok
Apr 05, 2017
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Anverie
Anverie rated it liked it
May 28, 2014
Shez
Shez rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2012
Novi
Novi rated it really liked it
Dec 08, 2011
Shelley Wellnitz
Shelley Wellnitz rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Juliette
Juliette rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2015
Janell
Janell rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2012
Sophie
Sophie rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2012
Banaper
Banaper rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2012
Melissa Grieco
Melissa Grieco rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2017
Kim Hassett-hunter
Kim Hassett-hunter rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Rhys A Jones was born in a mining village in the Swansea valley in Wales where he attended primary and secondary schools. In 1974, he was offered a place at Medical school in London and qualified in 1979. Medicine and a family followed, but writing as Dylan Jones, he published 4 novels in the nineties, two of which were filmed by the BBC. But a growing desire to moves away from adult thrillers is ...more
More about Rhys A. Jones...