Start by marking “Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers, #1)

Thicker Than Water (Blood Brothers #1)

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Tyr and Loki are not your teenage sister’s vampires. Their skin is not covered in glitter. They do not drink the blood of possums instead of humans. They view humanity as a secondary species; they have mastered the skill of manipulating and seducing women; and if you find yourself in a room with them, don’t expect the opportunity to say goodbye to your loved ones.

Since the
Published October 22nd 2011

To ask other readers questions about Thicker Than Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thicker Than Water

Switched by Amanda HockingMy Blood Approves by Amanda HockingThe Darkest Frost, Vol. 1 by Tanya HolmesAngelfall by Susan EeMermen by Mimi Jean Pamfiloff
Indie Books - Paranormal Fiction
455th out of 2,406 books — 3,195 voters
Interview with the Vampire by Anne RiceDracula by Bram StokerThe Vampire Lestat by Anne RiceThe Queen of the Damned by Anne RiceLet the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist
Great Vampire Novels
9th out of 30 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelsey
Feb 24, 2012 Kelsey rated it did not like it
Interesting take on vampires....definitely made them more monsters than you're used to seeing, but it lacked central plot.
Brainycat
blasphemy: 4
Bechdel Test: FAIL
Deggan's Rule: FAIL
Gay Bechdel Test: FAIL

I liked this novella a lot. The story could have been a moderately exciting thrill ride full of carnage and lust, but by breaking up the narrative between contemporary events and the history between the three vampires going back over a hundred years, the story elevates itself a notch above a mere gorefest.

The story features vampires the way I like them: undead humans with
Waterfall *Daughter of Northridge Earthquake*
There are many things about this book that I didn't enjoy. Then again, I'm picky.

I'll mention this briefly; it was crude. There were way too many f-bombs dropped and way too many sex references. In my opinion, you don't need these to make a great book. In fact, it takes away from it. Perhaps I wasn't expecting it, but if I'm being honest here I wouldn't have started the book in the first place if I had.

The medieval English sounded forced. It was nothing like Shakespeare or other authors of his
Alicia
Feb 27, 2013 Alicia rated it it was ok
Where do I begin? I read the first half of this book in one sitting, expecting it to somehow change and introduce something... "more" to me. And perhaps that was the wrong thing to wait for. I just now finished the book and I didn't get "more". I actually got less. I got nothing. I got what a proper series book would never do: end with absolutely no closure. There was a hint at closure, and no promise of what was to come. Everything ended still up in the air. I assume the contents of the first h ...more
★¸. • * ° *  Kathy,Ahmazing Book Faerie*°°*•.¸. ♥★
I really enjoyed this more traditional take on Vampires. No glitter and sparkle here!! Just three blood brothers, doing what comes naturally to original Vampires.... rape and pillage and drink!
I got a bit confused at the start, when the story suddenly changed from present day to the wild west. but then it was all clear, we have a flash back type story, telling us of the antics of firstly, the two brothers, Loki and Tyr and the making of the third blood brother, Thor. The story swings back and f
Books
Dec 18, 2015 Books rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed-2015
I got this book ages ago when it was a freebie on Amazon. It’s supposedly a novella, but it took me ages to finish it. Why? Because it bored me to tears! It just went on and on and on, with nothing significant happening. No plot, mostly just back-story – which still did not culminate into something that could be considered a plot.

The one good thing I can say about this novella (and also my reason for giving it a two-star rating) is that the writing is good. However, I would still recommend that
Johanna
Dec 09, 2011 Johanna rated it it was amazing
Vampire stories are like zombie stories. They have been rehashed one way or another, recreated, done and redone to the point of causing nausea every time I even heard the word "vampire". I expected nothing from this novel but something gripped my interest and didn't let go. I had the opportunity to glance at the first few sentences of Chapter 1 on Greg Sisco's website. And I loved what I saw. I immediately ordered the book on my Kindle, eager to read more of it.

Sisco's impeccable prose transport
Marsha
Jan 05, 2012 Marsha rated it it was amazing
Thicker Than Water is a welcome return of the old fashioned, villainous vampire. The characters in this book are the typical brutal killers that I came to love and fear while growing up. I enjoyed the fact that the vampires are susceptible to sunlight, holy water, and the whole nine yards. It's almost reassuring because the Blood Brothers are so ruthless and terrifying that they need some sort of an Achilles' heel. Loki, Tyr, and Thor, and their apparent God complexes, deliver on all accounts; b ...more
Ana Blevins
Feb 09, 2014 Ana Blevins rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ana by: goodreads
Brooke
Feb 28, 2014 Brooke rated it really liked it
I had gotten this copy probably a year ago but never sat down to read it until recently. Normally I would look at reviews and decide from there if it's worth my time, and though there were a few less than stellar reviews I decided to try this book for myself. Besides, it was free on Amazon for the day and I wanted some vampire books.

I can understand some of the previous reviewers when they say the characters weren't developed enough. That said, why would they be? The whole point of vampires, tru
Hasien
Sep 03, 2012 Hasien rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire, series-r-us
I will admit, this story took me a while to get into. The rememberance of the past is what really caught my attention. I enjyed reading how they met and changed Thor.
Lisa Dess
Sep 18, 2012 Lisa Dess rated it did not like it
I didn't care for the writing style or the plot. The characters were really difficult for me to get into.
Kat
Nov 15, 2011 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires, paranormal

I have to start by saying vampires aren’t my thing. No way, nuh uh, no vampires for this girl - strictly Zombies only.

However, after reading Greg’s fantastic blog post on ‘proper’ vampires http://www.gregsisco.com/five-vampire... I was intrigued. Maybe, just maybe, there’s someone out there who doesn’t think vampires sparkle and love kittens. So casting my long-standing vampire prejudice aside, I (reluctantly) picked up a copy of Thicker than Water.

Thicker than Water is the story of two brother
Kenecia
Mar 16, 2012 Kenecia rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good read. It's paranormal without the romance. It's blood and guns with intellectual thought rolled all up under and through it. Strangely enough, this book helped pull me back from the fantasy world that most books are painting nowadays. Life is great, then a guy comes, then it sucks, and then everyone eats cake! There is a slight romantic type situation in the book so don't worry, it's not some vampire siblings how to guide.

I loved how the author created a ying, a Yang, and
Lisa
Oct 30, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires, horror, kindle
The vampires, Loki, Thor and Tyr are b-b-bad to the bone. Well, maybe not Tyr. He's conflicted and seems to be growing a conscience. Maybe. This is a quick read - only 209 kindle pages long and when you get to the end, you just may react as I did "what?!? No way, you can't end it like this!" Now I'll have to read the next installment. Good grief.

I would put this in the "horror" genre because it truly is and it's difficult at times to eat even popcorn while reading. These vampires aren't pretty
Rjsmommy
May 20, 2012 Rjsmommy rated it did not like it
I like a violent, bloodthristy vampire just as much as the next guy but there just was no likable characters here. The first in a series, a trio of ultra violent vampires who have basically been psychopathic sociopaths for centuries reunite after a 13 yr. separation in Las Vegas. Tyr left 13 yrs. before when he fought with Loki over whether to kill a six yr. old girl during a bloddy train massacre. Tyr has tracked down that now 19 yr. old girl with the intention of killing her (now that she has ...more
Carrie Kilgore
Aug 22, 2013 Carrie Kilgore rated it it was ok
This book starts out just fine, with some interesting details about these vampires (including some great folk lore the vampires have handed down within their species), an intriguing prophecy, and a compelling relationship one vampire begins to develop with a human. Then we are suddenly plunged into an extended flashback where everyone starts sounding completely fake and we're hit with a good deal of gratuitous violence (violence, like sex, can be pivotal to a good plot but please, let's have som ...more
Peyton Sloane
Jul 25, 2014 Peyton Sloane rated it it was ok
This was sitting partially read on my Itouch for a long time. Finally had to find out where the plot was heading...

Housekeeping - well written, none of those niggling mechanics errors that distract me from the story.

I was fascinated and kept reading as there was much potential to be had with the premise. Sad :( that it didn't fulfill the possibilities set out in the first part of the story.
Dianne
Nov 26, 2012 Dianne rated it really liked it
These three vampires are the real deal! Meet Tyr, Loki and Thor, the youngest of the three. They are dark, blood thirsty, mean, deadly and dark, and show no remorse for their actions. Tyr and Loki, centuries old vampire brothers have a HUGE fallen out over a young human girl and Tyr goes into hiding for over a decade, during which time, he falls in love with a terminally ill young woman (who just happens to be the young girl all grown up). Loki and Thor are busy building a depraved 'empire' in ' ...more
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Dec 29, 2011 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•* rated it really liked it
Shelves: vampires
I will start off by saying that I can't wait for the 2nd book to come out! Wow the ending really leaves you wanting more!

I really loved the setting of the story in Las Vegas and the American West. Sisco does a great job in describing the surroundings. My favrite one in the story was when they get in that bar fight n the American West. My favorite character was Tyr. He was very masculine and was sympathetic at the same time. Another element of this story that I loved was the brutal murders. I lo
Michelle
I do believe that this is the worst piece of garbage I have ever had the displeasure of reading. Honestly I don't get it. Vampires going by Thor, Loki, and Tyr. Ridiculously funny and no way I can take this serious. Yes they are bloodthirsty and vile, but going by names like that is just a joke. Everything about this book is just so one dimensional..the characters..the plot..everything. The attitude towards women in this book is so revolting. I felt like throwing up on several occasions and that ...more
Michele
Oct 26, 2014 Michele rated it it was ok
Ok

This book had the feel of a scientific textbook. Sorry but the convoluted storyline confused and didn't engage me. I don't think that I would read more in this series.
Sarah Sigler
Dec 02, 2011 Sarah Sigler rated it it was amazing
This was an incredible vampire book! This is the way vampires are suppose to be!! Scary, manipulative, cunning, and only out for the "Brother Hood" and taking out anyone in their path!

This was such a great book, each chapter goes back and forth through time and done in such a way you have no idea until the end of the book! Each chapter tells a separate story but ties it all together.

I'm trying hard not to give anything away, but it's so hard! Creates a different suspense with each chapter that
Lorre
Mar 01, 2015 Lorre rated it liked it
The vampires in this story are certainly not nice... they love violence and they see humans as food and entertainment.
This is no paranormal romance... it's bloody, dark, gory... these vampires are true predators with no mercy for their prey.

Loki and Tyr are the original blood blothers, they were brothers before they were turned about a 1000 years ago. And in the Wild West they met Thor (who was called Michael then), which became the third blood brother.

I really liked the story itself and but the
Susan
May 14, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
A great vampire novel that sucks you into their world of gore but also compassion. A book you can sink your teeth into.
M.L. Roos
Jan 13, 2012 M.L. Roos rated it it was amazing
Loved this story. Finally vampires are vampires again. Tyr and Loki are brothers that have not seen each other in 13 years since "The Great Train Robbery of 1986". Tyr has been busy drinking from his drains and putting bodies in the incinerator while Loki is off being Loki. And then the brothers are reunited along with Thor....and blood....and violence....

Greg Sisco has a visceral grasp of the vampire genre which has been sorely missed since Twilight. If you like your vampires bloody, rough, and
Bren
May 19, 2013 Bren rated it it was ok
This was my first novel by this author. The writing was wonderful. The story was dark and twisted - just perfect. When I came to the end, though, I was stunned. I still haven't been able to figure out exactly what the plot was. I think it may have been the story of the little girl, but it was so minor and so unexciting, I just can't believe that was the plot.

It read more as if it was a character development book. Explaining the histories of them and their personalities. Mr. Sisco is a wonderful
Desiree Manning
Sep 04, 2013 Desiree Manning rated it really liked it
Yes. Another vampire book down. And I have to say this one was more brutal, cruel, almost felt honest.. Not the fairy tale everyone falls in love with the vampire and they don't suck blood from humans and kill them. This was an all out blood and guts I'm killing fucking hot chicks for blood because that's what I do because I can and have to. I found myself liking the character I thought everyone would end up hating. He's domineering, selfish, confident, mean, self righteous, and an ass.
Juin Charnell
Jul 05, 2012 Juin Charnell rated it liked it
That, by no means, is a bad rating. But I didn't overly love it. There was a misogynistic tone that I didn't like. And while the vampire lore was a little different than other books, it felt true to the story. I enjoyed the cross layers of time lines. Loki is psychotic and Thor is coming into his own. Tyr is the most conflicted. His story with Eva is cute. I wanted to see what would happen next. There are stories there yet to be uncovered.
Gary
May 25, 2012 Gary rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, own, 2012
These vampires are true apex predators. Do you weep for the chicken in your grocer's freezer? If you do then this isn't the book for you. If you want unremorseful, reveling in their own destruction vampires this is the book for you. Greg Sisco's vampire are the vampires to fear. These vampires will never be loved, only feared. If you have the most unfortunate chance of meeting them, it will definitely be your end.
  • Bound By Blood
  • City of Whispers (City of Whispers, #1)
  • Demon's Night (Jason Dark, #1)
  • Vampire Apocalypse: A World Torn Asunder
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Bad Blood: A Vampire Thriller
  • Bound by Blood
  • Blood Reaction (Blood Reaction Saga, #1)
  • Darker Things (The Lockman Chronicles, #1)
  • My Twisted Drink
  • Vamplayers
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • Mirror (The Valkanas Stories, #1)
  • Vampires in Devil Town (Vampires in Devil Town, #1)
  • My Lady Vampire - Book One (My Lady Vampire, #1)
  • Lies of the Prophet
  • Pretty When She Dies (Pretty When She Dies, #1)
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
There are two personality traits I can recall possessing for just about as far back as my memory will serve. The first is a love of writing and the second is a malicious sense of humor.

Since childhood, I have been the person who roots for the bad guy in movies and laughs when Bambi's mom gets shot. I take interest in the flaws of a character far more than the heroic characteristics, which have a t
More about Greg Sisco...

Blood Brothers (2 books)
  • The Wages of Sin (Blood Brothers, #2)