Start by marking “Forensics and Fiction: Clever, Intriguing, and Downright Odd Questions from Crime Writers” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  13 reviews
How long can someone survive in a cold, damp cave without food or water? How was diphtheria treated in 1886? Can Botox kill? Can DNA be found on a knife years later? How are mummified corpses identified? How long does it take blood to clot when spilled on a tile floor? What happens in death from electrocution?

As a consultant to many novelists around the world and to the wr
Published August 21st 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Forensics and Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forensics and Fiction

Robert Chartrand
Feb 28, 2008 Robert Chartrand rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers and lovers of murder mysteries and forensics
Shelves: non-fiction, adult, teen
I found this book to be a really fascinating read. It is a collection of questions that a doctor has recieved over the years from people who are trying to write a novel. Questions range from the effects of posions and drugs on the body, to proper procedures at a crime scene and everything else in between. Many of the questions' authors are anonymous, but there were a few from authors that I recognized, which added a nice bit of flavor to the read.

There were times when the book became a little dr
Christine
I have actually checked this book out of my library several times. When I do write, it usually pertains to forensics and this book is extremely helpful but also just plain interesting.
Lena Loneson
Forensics and Fiction is a seriously cool book.

The book is set up as a series of questions from crime writers, with responses from Dr. Lyle: Can a chiropractic adjustment lead to death? How would a mummified corpse be identified? Could my character hide inside a corpse? What toxic gas could be used to kill a roomful of people?

If any of those questions intrigue you, pick up a copy. Though I haven't written a lot of mystery and don't really need this kind of research, it's fascinating to skim thr
Stephanie Chu
Very fascinating and interesting. I learned a lot of about the human body and forensic. Highly recommended for everyone who are interested in learning about forensic and the human body.
Marcia Martins
I expected more of this books. I was very disappointed .
Dorothyanne Brown
Fantastic resource for crime writers, or, it should be said, the criminal element. All sorts of easy to understand and fun explanations of how to kill off characters, how to conceal bodies, about decay and forensics of all sorts. Written in a chatty question and answer format, I can't recommend this book highly enough, whether you kill people in fiction or you just want to talk about it at family dinner parties.
Alan Petersen
This is a must have book for crime/thriller writers! The book is straight to the point. The author, who is a doctor, fielded many questions from writers about what happens in real life, and he answers from a medical perspective. This book will help me write more realistic scenes. It's also a blast to read some of the twisted (fun) ideas authors come up with for their books.
Mike Shultz
I couldn't pass up this book because it combines the new course I'm going to be teaching this year at my high school (forensics) along with my interest in writing. The author's answers to the questions varied from fascinating to a little on the mundane side, partly due to the repetition. Definitely glad I read it, but hopefully not the best book I'll find on the subject.
Sarai
Mar 06, 2008 Sarai rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone writing a killing scene and those who want a laugh
Recommended to Sarai by: Amazon
Shelves: howto-research, own
I really enjoy these books. It has helped me kill off a few characters in totally unique ways. I have also learned how to kill someone and make it look like an accident (highly useful but scary) some of the questions authors ask amuse me so I would highly suggest you not read while drinking!
Sara Diane
Dec 12, 2007 Sara Diane rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers and those interested in forensics
A slow read, but chocked full of great info I might need someday as a writer. I hope to buy my own copy soon to have on hand. Just make sure you aren't faint of heart, he gives good descriptions as to what would happen in various situations!
Meg
An absolute must for a crime writer in the modern age when forensics play such a key role in the mystery/crime/thriller genre. It's a keeper for my reference library.
Carrie Clevenger
All those crazy questions writers have, Dr. Lyle (patiently, I admit) answers many. His responses are well thought-out and useful. Highly recommended.
Lori Whitwam
Using as a reference for my novel.

Three stars based on the degree of usefulness.
Afreen
Afreen marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Michelle Savahl
Michelle Savahl marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Susan Skinner
Susan Skinner marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Burcu Basak
Burcu Basak marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Linda Tacoma
Linda Tacoma is currently reading it
Dec 02, 2014
Kyra N
Kyra N marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Jasmin
Jasmin marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
meekob
meekob marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Teresa Blue
Teresa Blue marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Joan Chan
Joan Chan is currently reading it
Oct 05, 2014
Han
Han marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: How to Knock 'em Dead with Style
  • Book of Poisons: A Guide for Writers
  • Body Trauma: A Writer's Guide to Wounds and Injuries
  • The Killer Book of True Crime: Incredible Stories, Facts and Trivia from the World of Murder and Mayhem
  • Writing Active Setting: Characterization and Sensory Detail (Active Setting, #1)
  • Howdunit: How Crimes Are Committed and Solved
  • Scene of the Crime: A Writer 's Guide to Crime Scene Investigation
  • Cause of Death: Forensic Files of a Medical Examiner
  • Postmortem: How Medical Examiners Explain Suspicious Deaths
  • Blood On The Table: The Greatest Cases of New York City's Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
  • Shadows Bright as Glass: The Remarkable Story of One Man's Journey from Brain Trauma to Artistic Triumph
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • The Writer's Guide to Character Traits: Includes Profiles of Human Behaviors and Personality Types
  • Blood Secrets: A Forensic Expert Reveals How Blood Spatter Tells the Crime Scene's Story
  • Death by Petticoat: American History Myths Debunked
  • A Year of Writing Dangerously: 365 Days of Inspiration and Encouragement
D. P. Lyle, MD, operates The Writer’s Medical and Forensics Lab at www.dplylemd.com. He has served as a consultant for prominent writers and television programs, including Law & Order.

D. P. Lyle, MD is the Macavity Award winning and Edgar Award, Scribe Award, and USA Best Book Award nominated author of many non-fiction books (MURDER & MAYHEM; FORENSICS FOR DUMMIES; FORENSICS & FICTION;
More about Douglas P. Lyle...
Stress Fracture Forensics for Dummies Forensics: A Guide for Writers Hot Lights, Cold Steel Royal Pains: First, Do No Harm