Start by marking “Urne Burial” as Want to Read:
Urne Burial

Urne Burial (Diptych of Discourses #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  161 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Throughout history, some books have changed the world. They have transformed the way we see ourselves - and each other. They have inspired debate, dissent, war and revolution. They have enlightened, outraged, provoked and comforted. They have enriched lives - and destroyed them. Now Penguin brings you the works of the great thinkers, pioneers, radicals and visionaries whos ...more
Published August 25th 2005 by Penguin (first published 1658)

To ask other readers questions about Urne Burial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urne Burial

Moby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëTo the Lighthouse by Virginia WoolfThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Samuel R. Delany's literary pillars
37th out of 100 books — 24 voters
Steppenwolf by Hermann HesseReveries of the Solitary Walker by Jean-Jacques RousseauThe Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Trial by Franz KafkaCollected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges
If You Like W.G. Sebald
33rd out of 95 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Warwick
Jun 05, 2013 Warwick rated it it was amazing
This was the book that got me hooked on Sir Thomas Browne. I bought it at random in 2007 in Bluewater, and sat in the food court waiting for my girlfriend to finish shopping, and I vividly remember how stunned with pleasure I was from reading the following sentence:

Some being of the opinion of Thales, that water was the originall of all things, thought it most equall to submit unto the principle of putrefaction, and conclude in a moist relentment.

I repeated it excitedly to Hannah and her friend
Jonathan
Oct 08, 2013 Jonathan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Best free online version to be found, printed and read here:

Of course, one could also simply purchase his complete works...hint hint...

He is, as Mr Gass has pointed out, one of the true high points of English prose. And, on top of that, this text itself is fascinating and, in many ways, deeply moving in its analysis.

He shows us what this rude, crude and battered language was once capable of.

And, simply to share and wallow in beauty, there is this:

Obli
Justin Evans
Nov 03, 2014 Justin Evans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essays
This little book does double duty: first, it gives me a pocket-sized bit of Browne to carry around should I ever need to ponder death, fame, legacy and salvation. Of this I have little to say, except that it's just as good as people say stylistically, and a bit better than they say in content (i.e., this is not teenage nihilism), unless you're the kind of person who assumes that if a good writer disagrees with you, s/he is obviously being ironic.

Second, it gave me a tiny bit of Sebald at the st
Jim
Dec 30, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing
I am still stunned after having read this magnificent essay. It begins slowly as a scholarly discussion of funeral customs of the ancients and, in its culminating chapter, is as profound as Ecclesiastes in denouncing the vanity of wanting to leave behind towering monuments to our former selves. Never in all my days of reading have I seen such deep scholarship wedded to such humility and an overwhelming sense of goodness:
Pious spirits who passed their days in raptures of futurity, made little mor
Douglas Dalrymple
Nov 19, 2012 Douglas Dalrymple rated it really liked it
I wonder why we modernize Shakespeare’s spelling, and Marlowe’s and Ben Jonson’s, and the King James Bible’s spelling too, but always leave Thomas Browne’s intact? Reading Browne as-is, we hold him at a distance from ourselves: he’s like us in his concerns and interests, maybe, but we want the reminder of his antiquity.

In Urne-Buriall, Browne has a 100-page-long Yorick-I-knew-thee moment inspired by the recovery of old burial urns, possibly Roman era, dug up in a field. After a catalog of ancie
Gwern
Aug 28, 2013 Gwern rated it it was amazing
I first heard of Browne in Borges - as so often - in the ending of "Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius" where the narrator is attempting to translate it into Spanish. Borges is always interested in translation (see for example his fantastic essay on translating the 1001 Nights) and I made a note to look up this work which presented such challenges for rendering into Spanish. (The actual edition I used was James Eason's online edition.)

Urn Burial is hugely archaic, but also amazing. I am not sure where I
Kurtbg
An interesting treatise on burial from the mid 1600's. The author is obviously affected by finding roman burial urns in europe. Within these urns are personal objects. I believe the author was excited to "find" and touch historical artifacts of those that came before. The short work also includes different approaches to burial.
dredinol
Nov 03, 2015 dredinol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beloved
"Some being of the opinion of Thales, that water was the original of all things, thought it most equal1 to submit unto the principle of putrefaction, and conclude in a moist relentment."

"But the common form with necks was a proper figure, making our last bed like our first; nor much unlike the urns of our nativity while we lay in the nether part of the earth, and inward vault of our microcosm."

"In the Jewish hypogæum and subterranean cell at Rome, was little observable beside the variety of lamp
Brian
Apr 02, 2012 Brian rated it liked it
"What Song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, though puzling Questions are not beyond all conjecture."
Kevin Faulkner
Penguin screw-up big-time ! Still severing the 2 Discourses of 1658 from each other against the author's intentions.

The usual random and arbitary selection and taster.

Golden opportunity to publish the entire 1658 diptych Discourses of 1658 lost. When a paper-back edition of Urn-Burial and The Garden of Cyrus occurs it will be a first in 350 years!

Still the easiest access paperback but might as well purchase the vastly more informative major works (Penguin 77) with C.A.Patrides useful introducti
Northpapers
Nov 11, 2014 Northpapers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I borrowed a copy of this from a friend who got a year's subscription to New Directions Pearls. He loaned it to me because he received a few others that looked more exciting to him. I hadn't heard of Sir Thomas Browne before, so I had no way of knowing how rich, rewarding, and unprecedented this essay would be.

Browne uses the discovery of several urns in a field to muse about the entire history of human burial rites before moving to deep and profound observations about human vanity and mortality
Ana Maria Rînceanu
So death/burial is the topic at hand in this essay but the writing is so good and infused with historical facts that it makes for an interesting read. Thomas Browne presents an analysis on how this habit of burning ones dead based on the customs of various European nations. But he uses this kind of prose:

To be ignorant of evils to come, and forgetful of evils past, is a merciful provision in nature, whereby we digest the mixture of our few and evil days, and, our delivered senses not relapsing i
Becky
Apr 14, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
Thomas Browne's examination of ancient burial ritual, mortality and natural history is absolutely fascinating. I was especially taken by the section dealing with the navels of Adam and Eve.
Shane
Definitely some of the best prose in the English language. The first four chapters, which reflect on recently discovered burial urns and the funerary customs of the ancients, are really nice, but the fifth chapter is absolutely sublime. I disagree with Browne's opinion that ancient ways of wishing to be remembered in history are "pagan vain-glories," but the language is too artful to even care about his philosophical positions. He did not write this to be a philosophical work, but rather as a ba ...more
Michael Spring
Sep 05, 2013 Michael Spring rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Supremely ironic with the WG Sebald extract to front it. (No one knows where their bones will lie, and then Browne's skull is dug up, put in a museum, lost and found...). A melancholy reflection from one of the first dilettante archeologists about death and ritual, in the end a profound investigation into the human condition and mortality.
Bess Lovejoy
It's a struggle, but worth reading for some beautiful lines. One classic: "But who knows the fate of his bones, or how often he is to be buried? Who hath the Oracle of his ashes, or whether they are to be scattered?"
Natalie Raymond
Dec 17, 2012 Natalie Raymond rated it liked it
An interesting read, certainly for anyone also reading Sebald. Though, the non-modern spellings slowed me down quite a bit. We modernise Shakespeare, why not Browne as well?
Clark
Dec 03, 2010 Clark rated it it was ok
Shelves: real-talk
Weird. Why did I read this?
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Rahil Patel
Rahil Patel marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
Joey Dhaumya
Joey Dhaumya marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
HunterL
HunterL marked it as to-read
Charlotte Fraser
Charlotte Fraser marked it as to-read
Bill  Kerwin
Bill Kerwin marked it as to-read
Anand
Anand marked it as to-read
Evan
Evan rated it it was amazing
May 14, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Greg Olberding
Greg Olberding marked it as to-read
Franz
Franz rated it it was ok
May 09, 2016
  • Travels in the Land of Kubilai Khan (Penguin Great Ideas)
  • Sensation and Sex
  • Miracles and Idolatry
  • An Attack on an Enemy of Freedom
  • Of Man
  • Of Empire
  • How to Achieve True Greatness
  • The First Ten Books (Penguin Great Ideas)
  • On the Nature of War
  • Conspicuous Consumption
  • The Fastidious Assassins
  • On Suicide
  • Eichmann and the Holocaust
After graduating M.A. from Broadgates Hall, Oxford (1629), he studied medicine privately and worked as an assistant to an Oxford doctor. He then attended the Universities of Montpellier and Padua, and in 1633 he was graduated M.D. at Leiden. Browne's medical education in Europe also earned him incorporation as M.D. from Oxford, and in 1637 he moved to Norwich, where he lived and practiced medicine ...more
More about Thomas Browne...

Diptych of Discourses (2 books)
  • The Garden of Cyrus

“But man is a Noble Animal, splendid in ashes, and pompous in the grave, solemnizing Nativities and Deaths with equal lustre, nor omitting Ceremonies of bravery, in the infamy of his nature. Life is a pure flame, and we live by an invisible Sun within us.” 0 likes