Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)

Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  17 reviews
"A classic tale of tyranny overcome. . . . Voake makes this neglected gem — an unforgettable read-aloud — look new." — KIRKUS REVIEWS (STARRED REVIEW)

Elsie Piddock is a born skipper. By the time she’s seven, the tireless girl can even outskip the fairies and is rewarded with a gift of rare and lasting value. Can she use it many years later to save the children’s fabled ski...more
Published October 6th 1997 by Candlewick (first published 1937)

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingSwitch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Best Children's Fantasy
383rd out of 463 books — 710 voters
The Twenty-One Balloons by William Pène du BoisThe Keeper and the Rune Stone by Paige W. PendletonThe Secret World of Og by Pierre BertonThe Keeper and the Alabaster Chalice by Paige W. PendletonWorzel Gummidge by Barbara Euphan Todd
Unknown Fantasy Classics
66th out of 128 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Katcher
Wonderful, magical-just as I remembered. Only now, as an older reader, it struck me as chilling, too- the sleeping , dreaming of childhood becomes the sleeping, slipping into old age & death.
Christiane
Elsie Piddock is the best skipper her little town has ever seen, so good that even the fairies (who love to skip rope) come to teach her. Years later, Elsie uses her remarkable skill to save her town from a greedy Lord. This charming fairy tale, originally written in 1937, is every bit as appealing today. It's impossible not to root for Elsie against overwhelming odds, and like in the best fairy tales she uses her wits and skill (with a bit of fairy magic) to overcome evil. I think we all enjoy...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU. Elsie Piddock is the most amazing skipper ever. Elsie can do the Strong Skip. Elsie can do the Long Skip. Elsie can do the Skip All Together. Elsie is so good she gets tutored by the fairies. And these skipping skills can come in handy when a bad guy comes to town….A modern tall tale.

“In the Sly Skip not a fairy could catch her, or know where she would skip to next; so artful was she, that she could skip through the lattice of a skeleton leaf, and never break it.”
Carmine
Lovely tale of a natural born rope skipper, trained by a fairy who returns to the hill of her childhood to skip for the good of her community when it is threatened by a greedy industrialist.

I would love to see more rope skipping as a form of protest.

Can't wait to read this one with my daughter who is a newly minted skipper and believes in fairies.
Brittany Harrington
Elsie Piddock skips when awake, she skips when she's asleep, with faeries, other children or just by herself. When grown up, she must put away her childish toys and fantasies, but when the Glynde needed her the most, Elsie once again picks up her jump rope. Fantastic story for children, especially those who love, or even loved, to skip.
Renee Bush
Farjeon is a welcome memory from my own childhood; her books are somewhat out of fashion these hectic days, but they are so worth looking into again! For the parent who wants her child to be entertained by great writing and a true touch of what matters to a child, this is the book for you! I love it.
Suzy
This is an environmental tale that dates back to the industrial revolution. There is a really nice recording of it put out by a company called Gentle Wind audio books, which was my first introduction to Elsie Piddock. http://www.gentlewind.com/gw1025.htm Highly recommended.
Linda
I really enjoyed this fairy tale, and I suspect it's based on some local legend from somewhere (if not Glynde itself). The pictures are exquisite and as delicate as a faerie and help give the book its 4-stars.
Meredith
Eleanor Farjeon is a master of nonsense and fun. This story, like her others, is a great modern fairy tale. They make me smile and feel like a kid again. This one is no exception.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A little snippet of a book about a girl who loves to skip. She is taught amazing skipping stunts by the fairies, and goes on to put them to good use to help save her village.
Cheryl in CC NV
Beautifully written for reading-aloud and evoking the spirit of skipping (jump-rope). Are there children still who skip and believe in fairies?
Charlotte
I like that this book is about a small girl who fights 'the man' although I thought it was a little too long and subtle for a young reader.
Betsy
Charming story. Very British (which of course I love), and a wonderful, longer "picture book" to share with elementary aged children.
Marjorie
a great little fairy tale about skipping rope!
Tessa
This made me tear up a little. Ah, community!
Snyder
One of my absolute favorite books
Tammy
This was a fun read!!
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Andree Reynolds
Andree Reynolds marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Christina Packard
Christina Packard marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Fotima
Fotima marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Daughter of Benjamin Leopold Farjeon, sister of Herbert Farjeon.

Eleanor Farjeon was an English author of children's stories and plays, poetry, biography, history and satire. Many of her works had charming illustrations by Edward Ardizzone. Some of her correspondence has also been published. She won many literary awards and the prestigious Eleanor Farjeon Award for children's literature is presente...more
More about Eleanor Farjeon...
The Little Book Room The Glass Slipper Martin Pippin in the Apple Orchard The Silver Curlew (Oxford Children's Library) Martin Pippin In The Daisy Field