Start by marking “Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)” as Want to Read:
Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)

Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep (Candlewick Treasures)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
"A classic tale of tyranny overcome. . . . Voake makes this neglected gem — an unforgettable read-aloud — look new." — KIRKUS REVIEWS (STARRED REVIEW)

Elsie Piddock is a born skipper. By the time she’s seven, the tireless girl can even outskip the fairies and is rewarded with a gift of rare and lasting value. Can she use it many years later to save the children’s fabled ski
Published October 6th 1997 by Candlewick (first published 1937)

To ask other readers questions about Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elsie Piddock Skips in Her Sleep

The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienCharlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald DahlThe Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Best Children's Fantasy
456th out of 572 books — 970 voters
The Princess and Curdie by George MacDonaldThe Little White Horse by Elizabeth GoudgeThe Twenty-One Balloons by William Pène du BoisFarmer Giles of Ham by J.R.R. TolkienThe Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton
Unknown Fantasy Classics
95th out of 136 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Katy Noyes
I'd never heard of this book, though I have heard of Farjeon. With a new version coming out, I was happy to expand my knowledge of children's writing. And this is just lovely.

A fairy tale, this is probably going to be picked up more by girls (skipping, fairies), but really, I think boys might enjoy this one too. Elsie is so keen to try skipping like the older children that she makes her own rope - and discovers she's a natural at it. Her brilliance catches the attention of the fairies, who test
Leaflet
Mar 14, 2016 Leaflet rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-fiction
Wonderful.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Mar 17, 2016 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-1001
A 1001 CBYMRBYGU. Elsie Piddock is the most amazing skipper ever. Elsie can do the Strong Skip. Elsie can do the Long Skip. Elsie can do the Skip All Together. Elsie is so good she gets tutored by the fairies. And these skipping skills can come in handy when a bad guy comes to town….A modern tall tale.

“In the Sly Skip not a fairy could catch her, or know where she would skip to next; so artful was she, that she could skip through the lattice of a skeleton leaf, and never break it.”
Lisa Katcher
Mar 06, 2013 Lisa Katcher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Wonderful, magical-just as I remembered. Only now, as an older reader, it struck me as chilling, too- the sleeping , dreaming of childhood becomes the sleeping, slipping into old age & death.
Siskiyou-Suzy
What a lovely, wonderful book. I love it so much. It is immensely charming. I wish I'd read it as a child, but I can't wait to share with children I love.
Esmerelda Hae
Oct 15, 2014 Esmerelda Hae rated it it was amazing
I've loved this story since I was 9. It has magic, determination, nature against evil and lollipops.
In Grade 2, I wrote a book report about it and I've kept that report for years, to remind me of the name, hoping to get my very own copy. Finally, when my daughter was about 10, I found it had been re-released and throroughly enjoyed reading it to her... and on my own a few times.
Rachael
A sweet story about skipping rope, fairies, and the power of the little guy to stand up for open spaces. Found this on my bookshelf, read it in one gulp. Not a forever book, not for me, but sweet and worth it if you like this kind of tale.
Michael Earp
Feb 19, 2016 Michael Earp rated it really liked it
Yeah, stick it to the man, you skipping girls! :)
Christiane
May 10, 2012 Christiane rated it really liked it
Elsie Piddock is the best skipper her little town has ever seen, so good that even the fairies (who love to skip rope) come to teach her. Years later, Elsie uses her remarkable skill to save her town from a greedy Lord. This charming fairy tale, originally written in 1937, is every bit as appealing today. It's impossible not to root for Elsie against overwhelming odds, and like in the best fairy tales she uses her wits and skill (with a bit of fairy magic) to overcome evil. I think we all enjoy ...more
Sem
Mar 02, 2016 Sem rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth-fiction
*loves*
Carmine
Aug 05, 2013 Carmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Carmine by: Tobin
Lovely tale of a natural born rope skipper, trained by a fairy who returns to the hill of her childhood to skip for the good of her community when it is threatened by a greedy industrialist.

I would love to see more rope skipping as a form of protest.

Can't wait to read this one with my daughter who is a newly minted skipper and believes in fairies.
Brittany Harrington
Elsie Piddock skips when awake, she skips when she's asleep, with faeries, other children or just by herself. When grown up, she must put away her childish toys and fantasies, but when the Glynde needed her the most, Elsie once again picks up her jump rope. Fantastic story for children, especially those who love, or even loved, to skip.
Renee Wallace
Aug 18, 2009 Renee Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Farjeon is a welcome memory from my own childhood; her books are somewhat out of fashion these hectic days, but they are so worth looking into again! For the parent who wants her child to be entertained by great writing and a true touch of what matters to a child, this is the book for you! I love it.
Suzy
Jul 06, 2012 Suzy rated it it was amazing
This is an environmental tale that dates back to the industrial revolution. There is a really nice recording of it put out by a company called Gentle Wind audio books, which was my first introduction to Elsie Piddock. http://www.gentlewind.com/gw1025.htm Highly recommended.
Linda
Jul 06, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this fairy tale, and I suspect it's based on some local legend from somewhere (if not Glynde itself). The pictures are exquisite and as delicate as a faerie and help give the book its 4-stars.
Meredith
May 11, 2009 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Eleanor Farjeon is a master of nonsense and fun. This story, like her others, is a great modern fairy tale. They make me smile and feel like a kid again. This one is no exception.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A little snippet of a book about a girl who loves to skip. She is taught amazing skipping stunts by the fairies, and goes on to put them to good use to help save her village.
Charlotte
I like that this book is about a small girl who fights 'the man' although I thought it was a little too long and subtle for a young reader.
Betsy
May 15, 2012 Betsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming story. Very British (which of course I love), and a wonderful, longer "picture book" to share with elementary aged children.
Marjorie
Nov 06, 2013 Marjorie rated it really liked it
a great little fairy tale about skipping rope!
P.
Aug 08, 2009 P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jfic
This made me tear up a little. Ah, community!
Snyder
Aug 02, 2009 Snyder rated it it was amazing
One of my absolute favorite books
Tammy
Sep 25, 2013 Tammy rated it really liked it
This was a fun read!!
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Nancy McElroy
Nancy McElroy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Adriana Hernandez
Adriana Hernandez rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Kairi In Florida
Kairi In Florida marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Kristen Smith
Kristen Smith marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Julie
Julie added it
May 24, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain
  • A Lion in the Meadow (Picture Puffin)
  • Friends from the Other Side/Amigos del otro lado
  • 100万回生きたねこ (The Cat Who Lived a Million Times)
  • That Pesky Rat
  • Dailan Kifki
  • Haunted House
  • Mr. Majeika
  • Katie Morag Delivers the Mail
  • The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch (Picture Books)
  • Kisah Smurf Hitam (Kisah Smurf)
Daughter of Benjamin Leopold Farjeon, sister of Herbert Farjeon.

Eleanor Farjeon was an English author of children's stories and plays, poetry, biography, history and satire. Many of her works had charming illustrations by Edward Ardizzone. Some of her correspondence has also been published. She won many literary awards and the prestigious Eleanor Farjeon Award for children's literature is presente
More about Eleanor Farjeon...