Start by marking “Literature: Approaches to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama Literature: Approaches to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Like its larger counterpart, the compact "Literature: Approaches to Fiction, Poetry, and Drama" by Robert DiYanni features student-centered approaches to literature--from experience to interpretation to evaluation--and an emphasis on making connections between texts and thinking critically about literature. Known for its clear presentation of the formal elements of literat ...more
Published October 9th 2006 by McGraw-Hill Humanities/Social Sciences/Languages (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Literature

D
Used this to teach a dual enrollment English 112 class and found it to be a great collection. Has some great in-depth poetry sections. And the selection of short stories was wonderful. The drama section includes some nice, succinct plays. My students were pleasantly surprised by how much they enjoyed readings from this text.
Monique
I read this book for school.
B.R. Depue
We are still reading this book in class lol. But, so far, I've really liked it. It has some good stories; it has some bad. It all just depends on the reader. I do hope that there will be several more good stories in this that I'll have to read as I finish my semester in AP Literature and Composition.
Mel
My husband got this as part of an AP training class for preview. I read it for the short stories, which I loved, especially since there were several stories from some of my favorite authors which I hadn't yet read. I skipped the plays section, as I really dislike plays.
Feb 10, 2012 Laura added it
This book was bought for my literature class. I have read some of the readings, poetry and drama and plan to continue reading this book.
Mary Gabel
AP English Lit has read the following plays from DiYanni:
Hamlet
King Lear
Othello
Thales
the source of poetry and Essay
Rafmary
loved it
Dini Indriani
Dini Indriani marked it as to-read
Bianca
Bianca marked it as to-read
Ziba
Ziba marked it as to-read
Daniel DaSilva
Daniel DaSilva marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Ansyori Ansyori
Ansyori Ansyori marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Yeni Sri
Yeni Sri marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Lebe
Lebe marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Pamela
Pamela added it
Apr 02, 2015
Sara Holl
Sara Holl marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Galuh Ratnasari
Galuh Ratnasari marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Bayu Kendy
Bayu Kendy marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
  • Texts and Contexts: Writing About Literature with Critical Theory
  • Writers on Writing, Volume II: More Collected Essays from The New York Times
  • Write Like the Masters: Emulating the Best of Hemingway, Faulkner, Salinger, and Others
  • Novelist's Essential Guide to Crafting Scenes
  • Narrative Fiction: Contemporay Poetics (Routledge New Accents)
  • The Longman Anthology of British Literature, Volume 2A: The Romantics and Their Contemporaries
  • On Writers and Writing
  • Letters to a Fiction Writer
  • For the Love of Books: 115 Celebrated Writers on the Books They Love Most
  • Selected Letters
  • Revising Prose
  • Essentials of Screenwriting: The Art, Craft, and Business of Film and Television Writing
One Hundred Great Essays (Penguin Academics Series) Modern American Poets: Their Voices and Visions Fifty Great Essays Literature: Reading Fiction, Poetry, Drama, and the Essay Twenty Five Great Essays (Penguin Academics Series)