Start by marking “The Witches of Wenshar (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Witches of Wenshar  (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #2)

The Witches of Wenshar (Sun Wolf and Starhawk #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,205 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Once, it was said, Wensha had been a city of witches, summoning and controlling demons for their evil magic. But in nearby Tandieras, Kaltha claimed to have found their lost book of spells to perform only white magic. When Sun Wolf arrived, he discovered increasing signs of evil magic and demon-controlling spells. And he realized, too late, that a new swarm of demons was t ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 339 pages
Published June 12th 1987 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Witches of Wenshar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witches of Wenshar

Kelley Ceccato
What a wonderful character Starhawk is! Not only is she a formidably kick-butt warrior woman (and Hambly writes about her in such a way that you can really BELIEVE she's a competent fighter, a feat not always managed by those who attempt to write about woman warriors), but she has a powerful sense of integrity, and she never whines. At all. I also appreciate it that she forms bonds of friendship with other women around her, even when they don't always deserve her regard.

The romance is a subplot
Doris
This novel picks up shortly after the traumatic ending of The Ladies of Mandrigyn, and reinforces that the Wolf is now a wizard fighting in a magical battlefield instead of an armored one. He is still trying to get a grasp of his powers, and is looking for someone to teach him. In his search, he comes to Wenshar, and is introduced to a rather spiteful character named Kaletha, who agrees to teach him as long as he practically worships her and agrees that she is perfect and brilliant. Gag.

This st
Phoenixfalls
This novel picks up a couple months after the end of The Ladies of Mandrigyn, and if it isn't as surprising as that novel was it is no less delightful. While Starhawk has responded with her usual calm to all the changes in their fortunes, Sun Wolf is still assimilating the new needs his power places on his way of life and his new relationship with Starhawk specifically and women in general. Of course he immediately clashes with another strong-minded, aristocratic, redheaded woman, but Kaletha is ...more
Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship
I loved The Ladies of Mandrigyn, so came to this book with some trepidation, knowing that the only recurring characters would be Sun Wolf and Starhawk. As it turns out, while Mandrigyn is epic fantasy, The Witches of Wenshar is a murder mystery in a fantasy setting; not being a mystery fan, I felt it less enjoyable, but also found this one a less accomplished novel than its predecessor.

This book begins nine months after the end of Mandrigyn, with Sun Wolf on a quest to find a magic teacher.* He
Matt Fimbulwinter
Moar Sun Wolf and Starhawk!

The book has a foreward where Hambly apologises for using the term "witch" in a pejorative way, because witches they were persecuted and woman power and love the earth and I'll be over here (dah dah dah). Which I thought was just tremendously sweet.

Sun Wolf and Starhawk fight the terrible power of hate in a desert kingdom. It's so nice seeing their relationship grow and change.
Judy
I really enjoyed reading this book - plenty of intrigue but it wasn't miserable to read. Was not particularly thought provoking and the world wasn't particularly new, so I don't recommend except as subway reading. I did read it fairly quickly and in large chunks, so that shows that the pacing was excellent. And I loved the two kids! But most of the characters were fairly flat.
Mary JL
Nov 02, 2009 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of fantasy and adventure
Recommended to Mary JL by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
This is the second book of the Sun Wolf trilogy. If you read The Ladies of Mandrigyn first, this book will make a lot more sense to you.

At the end of the first book, Sun Wolf has discovered he is a wizard.He leaves seeking a wizard to train him. He has lots of power, being strong willed and smart, but does not know how to handle it.

He ends up in the fortress of Tandieras, and is soon caught up in the local intrigues. People are being murdered by unknown means. When Sun Wolf visit the nearby city
Rose
Even better than the first! This book has brilliant, explosive imagery, really interesting characters, and starts to get into the magic system a little more, which is really rewarding. The main characters are fleshed out in more detail, which is great. The main problem with the book is that its plot is a little less developed than the first book.
Nugatti
Starhawk is one of my heros. She is amazing.
Anastasia
Very nice book. Sequel to "Ladies of Mandrigyn," one of my favorites, but would stand well on its own. I like how Hambly creates several women characters, here Kaletha and Anshebbeth, who are imperfect and, at first, grating - especially given that we see them through Sun Wolf's eyes. But we begin to see them as much more understandable and sympathetic, as Starhawk (Sun Wolf's partner & lover) builds a friendship with them. That was quite nice & rare to see - friendship & loyalty bet ...more
John
2000 grade D
Jamie
2.5 stars. I didn’t like this one as much as the first book, but it was not a bad read. This is the second part of the trilogy starring Sun Wolf and Starhawk. They’re seeking a wizard who can teach Sun Wolf how to use his newly discovered abilities, and when they find a dubious candidate, they get caught up in the local troubles of a city where evil magic seems to be encroaching.

The characters are all well drawn, but I am still not feeling Sun Wolf and Starhawk as a romantic couple.
Slinkyboy
This one's structured more like a murder mystery than a typical fantasy book.

You've got additional bodies showing up when the action starts to wane and the obligatory scene where all the suspects (the ones who are still alive) gather together and look at each other suspiciously while the detective tells everyone how it all happened.

Great story overall, and again exceptional characters.
Kennyo
A well done sequel to The Ladies of Mandrigyn. Threads begun in the first book are picked up here and there are no discontinuous plot leaps that detract from sequels in many series. Be sure to read the first volume or you'll get lost here. Besides, the first one is, itself, a dynamite piece.
Chris
Hambly does a good job of showing the characters' love for each other without going over the top. She shows a very real couple.

Hambly also makes great use of a cliche with one line - "If wishes were horses, Sun Wolf thought, there'd be horseprints all over my hide".
Danny
Pretty decent! Though I figured out who the mastermind was early on, I didn't figure out his method of execution for his plots which was pretty interesting. Seriously though Sun Wolf, are you planning to get kicked out of every kingdom along your route....lol
Rebecca
I liked the book in general. It was a long book with a good plot about the power of demons and how they can corrupt the mind. It is a very good read but very long and the letters are very small. It is a good adventure.
Lian Tanner
Probably more like 3.5 stars really. It's a bit slow in places, though the relationships and characters carry it through, and I don't like this one quite as much as 'The Ladies of Mandrigyn'. But it's still pretty good.
h
more shifts in perspective than i'd prefer and some ridiculous gender-stereotyping that just comes across to me as lazy. but some very interesting character elements and a solid if not-overly-eventful plot.
Kim
I read the version in the old book club omnibus "The Unschool Wizard". Good stuff.
Derek (Guilty of thoughtcrime)

Enjoyable Sword & Sorcery bash, with a pretty even mix of the two.

Melani
Once again a marvelous look at how women get power in patriarichal societies.
Wendy
OOPS, THIS ISN'T THE BOOK I THOUGHT IT WAS... HAVEN'T READ THIS ONE :)
Helen
VG Sword & sorcery by Darkover GoH. Murder mystery with demons
penny
People stand around talking about other people a lot.
Natalie
Not as good as the first, but still entertaining.
Jonathan
Don't upset women who traffic with demons.
Thomas
Not as good as the first one....
Cait
Re-read 8/2008
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • Wolfwalker (Wolfwalker, #1)
  • Bones of the Past (Arhel, #2)
  • Road to Underfall (Loremasters of Elundium, #1)
  • Well of Shiuan (Morgaine & Vanye, #2)
  • Cats Have No Lord
  • Dark Horse (Dark Horse #1)
  • The Flight of Mavin Manyshaped (Mavin Manyshaped, #2)
  • Weight of Stone (Vineart War #2)
  • Lythande (Thieves World)
  • The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)
  • Tales of Nevèrÿon (Return to Nevèrÿon, #1)
  • The Silver Branch (The Tales of Aeron, #1)
  • Illusion
  • The Hawk's Gray Feather (The Tales of Arthur, #1)
  • Earth Logic (Elemental Logic, #2)
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Twelfth Annual Collection
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...

Sun Wolf and Starhawk (3 books)
  • The Ladies of Mandrigyn (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #1)
  • The Dark Hand of Magic (Sun Wolf and Starhawk, #3)
Children of the Jedi (Star Wars) Dragonsbane (Winterlands #1) The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1) Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1) The Armies of Daylight (Darwath, #3)

“Can you tell me the difference between a witch and a wizard?

Sure, a wizard is what they call you when they want to hire you, and a witch is what they call you when they're getting ready to run you out of town.”
2 likes