Start by marking “The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher” as Want to Read:
The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher

The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher (The World of Beatrix Potter: Peter Rabbit)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  7,353 ratings  ·  103 reviews
A frog fishing from his lily pad boat doesn't catch any fish, but one catches him.
Published September 1st 1987 by Warne (first published January 1st 1906)

To ask other readers questions about The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher

Ronyell
Jun 06, 2011 Ronyell rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beatrix Potter fans!!
For my entire life, I have been reading Beatrix Potter's works and I had enjoyed most of the ones I had read! Now, I had picked up an old classic from my childhood, “The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher.” In this tale, Mr. Jeremy Fisher, a distinguished frog, begins having the adventure of a lifetime when he goes out to fish for minnows for his dinner. “The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher” is a delightful tale that every child will enjoy forever!

There once lived a frog named Mr. Jeremy Fisher who lived in a...more
GoldGato
Beatrix Potter's books always appealed to me because food was always involved. I grew up fervently believing in rabbits and mice and frogs having well stocked larders within their homes. And the tea! Always a hot cuppa waiting on the table for the protagonists when they completed their adventures.

The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher comes complete with food, adventure, friends...and a well stocked larder. Butterfly sandwiches and roasted grasshoppers abound. And there's also Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoi...more
Cheryl
Does anybody really enjoy Potter's tales anymore? Read this for free on Project Gutenberg, color pictures and all, here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/15077/.... Let me know what you think.
Reenie
This has been my favourite Beatrix Potter story for a long long time - which is amusing now seeing that I work with frogs. Which makes you notice different things when you go back and read them later. Unlike most children's authors writing about animals, she managed to anthropomorphise animals while still retaining the point about the animal. Jeremy Fisher may be wearing a mackintosh and galoshes, but he's quite obviously still a frog, and he behaves like one (although he doesn't sing, sadly). T...more
Prashant
A frog named Jeremy decides to go for fishing but rather ends up being attacked by a stickleback and a trout. What’s the stuff here about a lizard being named Isaac Newton. Is there some irony here that I am not able to see?
John Yelverton
A fun and delightful book from the mind of Beatrix Potter.
Allison
Sep 01, 2011 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Toddlers and up
Recommended to Allison by: 1001 BYMRBYGU
Shelves: 1001-cbymrbygu
Beatrix Potter's children's stories are wonderful and timeless. The Tale of Mr. Jeremy Fisher is one of her lesser well-known stories of which there are about a dozen.

The story is engaging and Mr. Jeremy is an intriguing fellow. Parts of his house are always wet and "he liked getting his feet wet; nobody ever scolded him and he never caught a cold!" Children are always being told not to get their feet wet (sometimes they're told they'll get a cold if they do). This, along with a host of things...more
Mimi
This one seemed like it might especially appeal to boys. Although I don't know why frogs seem like a more boy thing to me. The drawings of the frogs were beautiful. And the newt was really cool, too. I loved the "macintosh and goloshes." It seems like no one dresses for rainy weather anymore. Maybe it's because we just rush from our cars into buildings (and vice versa) and never spend any time out in the rain.
Jonathan
Mr Jeremy Fisher has invited some friends around for a meal, no doubt inspired to entertain by reality TV show Come Dine With Me. What could be better than freshly caught minnows? he thinks, and off he goes in search of his ingredients. As anyone knows, this is the wrong way to go about preparing for a meal, especially as the chain supermarkets have made it abundantly clear that everything you could ever want is available from them, at a fraction of the price, contained in partly-recyclable pack...more
jacky
After reading a couple Beatrix Potter books I thought were duds, I enjoyed this one. It wasn't bogged down in too many outdated details and it had a nice little plot. Cute moral of always wearing your raincoat :)
Neville Ridley-smith
My kids (15, 12, 9) & I are reading through the Complete Tales of Beatrix Potter. This is book 8.

Wonderful artwork as always with a rather odd but amusing story. Mostly it's Mr Fisher going fishing in preparation for receiving guests - a newt called Sir Isaac Newton and a tortoise who's going to bring his own lunch - salad.

Like so many of the other Beatrix Potter books, there's not a lot of plot development. The newt and tortoise appear at the end and the tale finishes. And I have the feelin...more
Linda
Every Potter book just convinces me further - love love love the illustrations. Boring and/or scary stories tho. (My kids have never been able to sit through one of her books either)
متن‌ها و روایت‌ها

قورباغه‌ی ملخ‌خورِ جسور و آرزوی یک سینی کپور!
اما به‌قول آیزاک بطلمیوس:
سس کفش‌دوزک و ملخ برشته
بهتر از تیغ ماهی‌های درشته...

*فکر کنم همین چهار خط برای ثبت حسم از خواندن این کتاب کافی باشد... (;

متن معرفی: از حاشیه و پشت جلد این ویرایش: جرمی ماهی‌گیر، پاروی نی‌اش را داخل گِل فشار داد، بعد چهارزانو نشست و وسایل ماهی‌گیری‌اش را مرتب کرد. چوب ماهی‌گیری‌اش از ساقه‌ی سفت علف، و نخ چوبش نیز موی دراز و سفید یک اسب بود. او کرم کوچکی را ته آن گره زد و در حالی‌که کرم دور خودش می‌پیچید، شکار شامش را شروع کرد...more
Annie
This book is lovely, very enjoyable and always keeps you thinking!
Somerandom
You know, I've always considered Miss Potter to be a very kind hearted school ma'am. I know that's not true, but her books just have an air of grace and authority to them. They are intelligent, kind and have a stern but loving message for disobedient children. Though it's always for their own good and never that painful.

Compared to my other favorite children's authors, Hans Christian Andersen who seems to be the awkward shy kid (yes, I am aware his tales were for adults originally.) Always ready...more
B-zee
Agak lebih panjang daripada Peter Rabbit (dan lebih banyak kosa katanya), tetapi tidak sepanjang Jemima Puddle-Duck.

Jeremy sang katak ini mengajak kita ke suasana 'persiapan piknik', yang meski tak berjalan dengan lancar, toh akhirnya tetap piknik juga.

Pada setiap piknik pasti melibatkan makanan. Tetapi bersiap-siap saja untuk yang bukan 'pemakan segala', menu Jeremy mungkin sedikit...tidak mengundang selera :)
Kaethe
A brief tale about the hazards of fishing and the importance of wearing a rain coat and galoshes even if one is a frog and thus, water-proof of skin.

And also: eating bugs is nasty, but better to invite your friends for a bug feast than get killed attempting to provide richer fair.

Personal copy.
Kathryn
Beatrix Potter has such fun names for her characters. Mr. Jeremy Fisher's friend were Sir Isaac Newton and Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoise. Such delight!
Ilze
May 30, 2014 Ilze rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ilze by: Faye Lewis
Maybe I expected more of Beatrix Potter because my childhood imagination had blown it all out of perspective. Now that I'm reading her as an adult I'm disappointed.
Dee
Not a bad story, but lacking in the action that most kids want to read these days. Even back then I found it a little boring.
Jeremy Lange
I was named after this character, so I'm biased, but the illustrations are pretty darn great.
Eduard
Read as part of The Beatrix Potter Collection: Volume One.

Potter's illustrations are amazingly done and she really excels at naming her characters.
Tangkilisan Shirley
Tale of Mr Jeremy Fisher is one of my fav books of Beatrix Potter
Janet
Beautiful illustrations, especially of Jeremy on the lilypads.
Allison P
This is one we read and looked at over and over again.
Yanni
Loved ALL these stories as an infant - these imaginative tales set in the countryside, growing up as I did in the countryside, surrounded by farms, exploring the rural and natural world around me, collecting snails and feeding hedgehogs and even having our rabbits killed by a fox. The brutality of the natural world around me was echoed in these tales, which whilst charming, were never a saccarine portrail: for example, I recall Peter Rabbit being afraid of being put in a pie! Beautifully written...more
Hk
This may just be my absolute all-time favorite children's story... which is saying a lot considering the other classics I love, my years in the children's dept at B&N and even more years as a school librarian. As a child Jeremy's home and adventures in the pond are something I read repeatedly... and I just loved how he got into a pickle but made it home safe and cozy for supper with friends in the end :) The word "mackintosh" will always remain dear to me because of this precious little volu...more
babyhippoface
Jeremy Fisher the frog is planning a dinner for himself, and if his fishing is lucky, for his friends Mr. Alderman Ptolemy Tortoise and Sir Isaac Newton. However, floating in the middle of a pond can be dangerous for a small frog, a lesson Mr. Jeremy quickly learns.

There are some vocabulary words to be learned from this story--larder, alderman, bobbit, stickleback. Kids could also take some time to explore the names Ptolemy and Sir Isaac Newton.
  • The Snowman
  • Now We Are Six
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever
  • Peace At Last
  • Mr. Tickle (Mr. Men, #1)
  • A Child's Garden of Verses
  • The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge: Restored Edition
  • The Owl and the Pussycat
  • Town Mouse, Country Mouse
  • The Adventures of Peter Cottontail
  • Max (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Little Toot
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • Angelina Ballerina
  • Autumn Story
  • Babar and His Children
  • Old Bear
Helen Beatrix Potter was an English author, illustrator, mycologist, and conservationist who was best known for her children's books, which featured animal characters such as Peter Rabbit.

Born into a privileged household, Potter was educated by governesses, and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and through holidays in Scotland and the Lake District developed a love of lan...more
More about Beatrix Potter...
The Tale of Peter Rabbit The Complete Tales The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit The Tale of Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle The Tale of Benjamin Bunny