Start by marking “Duplex” as Want to Read:
Duplex

Duplex

Accepting a job in a new city, Dan Hill has just moved his wife and 4 year-old daughter into an ordinary-looking duplex. The appliances are avocado, the carpet sea-foam green, and there’s a fine layer of ash below the surface from the house that used to stand there.

“Well that’s a funny thing,” the Hill’s new neighbor tells Dan. “The house caught fire and the oldest boy th
Published (first published October 21st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Duplex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duplex

Steven Konkoly
Dec 13, 2011 Steven Konkoly rated it it was amazing
Michael McFarland has created novella worthy of inclusion in any of Stephen King’s anthologies. The novella incorporates a perfect mix of supernatural suspense and pure human malevolence, to leave the reader reeling with a dominant sense of helplessness, and a sliver hope, even at the most disturbing moments in the story. For a novella, the plot is perfectly paced, launching the reader into immediate distress, and dragging it out just long enough until the ceiling caves in. I found myself ...more
Jaclyn
Jan 04, 2013 Jaclyn rated it it was amazing
Excellent and engaging novella that will seriously creep you out. I am a huge fan of horror/thriller movies and books, and I agree with another reviewer who said that this book belongs in the rankings with Stephen King. I'll just say I never want to live in a duplex now and/or a home with a crawlspace in the floor!
T.W. Brown
Jun 30, 2012 T.W. Brown rated it really liked it
I rarely read anything that gives me the chills or makes me so desperately want to get to the next page...but feel apprehensive about what I will find when I get there. Duplex by Michael James McFarland does just that! I found myself swept up by a story that I kept feeling I had a handle on, only to be thrown just a bit off balance by a crafty turn in the story. One of the strongest features is how well parts of the tale are IMPLIED. McFarland excels in giving you just enough information so that ...more
Deacon D.
Mar 06, 2015 Deacon D. rated it really liked it
Having read McFarland's excellent zombie novel 'WORMWOOD', I just had to give this novella a look, and I was NOT disappointed.

When Dan Hill accepts a new job position, he moves his family into a duplex temporarily. In spite of the disheveled young teenager who daughter Tia keeps noticing, the neighborhood seems like a nice place...and then come the strange sounds, late at night.

McFarland quickly builds the tension in this one, a creepy little thriller that is likely to strike a primal chord in r
Grace Metcalfe
Nov 14, 2011 Grace Metcalfe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
This book cuts straight to the point without feeling rushed. The story centres around a family who have just moved to their new rented home.

To be honest, this was the first time in a long time a book has actually unsettled me. I would be interested to know if the video element was inspired by a certain popular series of horror films? Regardless, it fitted seamlessly into the story.

The blend of human evil and the supernatural was great and I appreciated the fact that the presence in the house n
Vanessa Perez
Jan 01, 2013 Vanessa Perez rated it it was amazing
I read this book in an hour and a half - could not put it down. Although I figured out the perp and the method before it was solidified, it didn't stop me from reading. This book is the first book to give me actual chills since those Scary Stories books that I read in the early 90s as a kid. Bra-vo!!!
Gillian
Feb 23, 2013 Gillian rated it it was amazing
I just finished "Duplex" to-day, it is brilliant! Duplex is everything that I love in a good book! Its scary and eerie! It is a fast paced book with a really good story! I loved the characters, I loved the story, I loved EVERYTHING about "Duplex!" Five stars for a five star story!!!
Dawna
Apr 25, 2013 Dawna rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The author tells a great story and keeps the suspense and angst going till the very end. do yourself a favor and get this book for your kindle today!! its well worth it!!!
Helen
May 06, 2013 Helen rated it really liked it
I've just read the whole of this short novel in one sitting and was thoroughly gripped from start to finish. I've found Kindle freebies to be a bit hit or miss - this was a little gem! Dan and Jamie Hill are a likeable couple who move into a new home with their daughter and it isn't long before things start going bump in the night. Just another haunted house tale? I thought so but no, the story takes us in another nightmarish direction - although there is a supernatural element which blends ...more
Laurie
Oct 30, 2011 Laurie rated it really liked it
What a great story. This book is short and gets to the action right away! The characters are thrown into a nightmare and must find a way to survive and save each other. Great story, wonderful characters and the ghost is a great touch!
Selinalynn
Jul 29, 2012 Selinalynn rated it liked it
pretty dark..but satisfying
Chris
May 28, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
Fast and intriguing read.

Great book as a fast read. Although I think that the story could have been fleshed out more, I did enjoy it. My biggest complaint is character development.
Patty Salazar
Apr 05, 2015 Patty Salazar rated it it was ok
Me pareció una novela entretenida pero al final también se me hizo algo predecible. Me hubiera gustado que se hablara más sobre el fantasma.
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013
The Badger
The Badger rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Jo
Jo rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2013
Linzi Pumpelly
Linzi Pumpelly rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Debra Ustaszewski
Debra Ustaszewski rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Michael McFarland
Feb 12, 2013 Michael McFarland added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote
No rating. I wrote it.
STANEK LYNNE A
STANEK LYNNE A rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2014
Melissa Starlein
Melissa Starlein rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2015
Crystal Chavez
Crystal Chavez rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Sabrina
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2015
Coral
Jan 14, 2013 Coral rated it it was ok
Predictable
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2012