Start by marking “The Morning After” as Want to Read:
The Morning After

The Morning After

"You cannot be allowed to go on ruining lives simply because that body of yours drives men insane!"

ebook, Harlequin Presents #1859, Forbidden! #1, 192 pages
Published October 22nd 2011 by Harlequin Presents Treasury (first published April 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Morning After, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Morning After

KatieV
I love to read a good, angsty Michelle Reid before going to bed, but I've never read one of hers that was angsty AND so WTF crazy. I loved it! It had it all: Obsessed jealous hero, poor misjudged h, private islands, revenge, blackmail, absurd/questionable reasons for marriage, AND I could feel the h's pain and frustration. Plus, points for the mullet on the cover (Joe Dirt Rulz!).

Spoilery Trigger Warning: (view spoiler)
Dianna
Annie Lacey is a blonde supermodel fallen woman/virgin. The book opens with her attempted rape, and while she is rescued, she is publicly condemned for attempting to seduce a married man. Annie says nothing in her own defence, and prefers it that way. She turns hard and glittery and bitter.

It has no impact on the success of her career, she’s doing very well. She has one close friend, a handsome blond guy. When he invites her to a party she goes, wearing a slinky white dress, and she hangs all o
Jacqueline
This was over the top crazy which is why I read HPs. I'm not looking for reality. Plus it's Michelle Reid so you know the writing is going to be high quality. The hero was OTT as I said. He'd been twisted up for 4 years over a girl he'd wanted but never met in the flesh but never-the-less she'd betrayed him and must be punished. She was well written as a grown up child star who had been used for gain all her life but never really loved. So crazy old school WTFery all around.
Vintage
To understand how old school this is one only needs to look at the cover. The hero has a mullet. Nuff said.

Jenny
Jun 09, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
That was so angsty, crazy and fucked up I couldn't help but love it. Hero was obsessed and in love with the heroine for years. He thinks she is having an affair with his sister's husband so he kidnaps her and takes her to a secluded island where he seduces her. Heroine hates him with a passion. She was so blind and in denial I wanted to slap her. She was also the bitchiest heroine I've read lately. Still I enjoyed this cause hero was a stalker, so obsessed and crazy for her!
Ladyacct
Oct 18, 2012 Ladyacct rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shorts
It takes alot for me not to like a hero in a romance book but this guy - yep didn't like his attitude or arrogance at all, to me it went over the line from Alpha Male to Dark Ages Dick.
Onu
Nov 26, 2015 Onu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is why I love reading Harlequins. This had everything which makes you enjoy reading a Harlequin. Everything OTT! OTT situations. An alpha douchebag of a hero. A misunderstood heroine. Lots of angst.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story. I love Michelle Reid's books. The writing was god. Kept me hooked. Though I must warn that the beginning of the book might put off some people. An attempted rape scene at the beginning of the book made me question whether I really wanted to continue or not. But I
Alexis-Morgan Roark
Jasbell76
Today I finished to read this book which I was avoiding for years! Because the first scene of the book starts what it appeared to be a rape! and I HATE romance books where the heroine suffers/suffered a rape (it is a sensible thing for me) So, after a read other reviews and shelves, I found out there wasn't any rape at all, but she was "almost" raped by hero's brother in law.
The whole story is full of angst and I loved it! I had forgotten how exciting was to read a book by Michelle Reid.
I have
Roub
Nov 02, 2016 Roub rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
i did not like this one dat much. i felt Cesar championed Susie too much when Annie was supposed to be the heroine of this book. it did not add up dat he pursued his revenge now when the alvarez scandal broke out years ago. i understood his bitterness and his disgust as the woman he had wanted for himself was found making love wid his brother-in-law! however the author stretched matters too far having us believe Cesar loved her all those years without having met her in person. it sounded more li ...more
Julz
Finished this one. I'll have to go back and review it in order to write a review. I guess it wasn't that rememberable ;D I know she loved pulling his hair and he'd tell her to stop LOL! Irritating broad ;D
Tina
No this did not work for me! I have read Harlequin romance novels in the past and enjoyed them, this was not the case with this one. I can't even begin to tell you how stupid it was. That may seem harsh and mean but oh my God I feel like I just wasted days of reading time that I could've spent reading something good. This was not good and I don't recommend it :(
Maya
Jul 31, 2015 Maya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Self note:

H abusive towards h (slaps, rapes...).
♥︎♥︎ Demaris♥︎♥︎
I can't in good conscience even rate this nonsense. This book was offensive not romantic I'd forgotten how shallow/short a Harlequin romance is, making a nonsense of that essential ingredient all good books need: plot/character development. (view spoiler) ...more
Kiki
No, really. I just couldn't get past the cover. I was half expecting to read something along the line "the mullet made me do it"!
Vanessa
Feb 05, 2013 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natalie
Mar 10, 2014 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I've read quite a few of Ms. Reid's books and have always enjoyed her stories. Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this book. Ms. Reid is an excellent writer. Her characters are great and the writing flows. I know this doesn't sound like a rousing endorsement, but I'm just pushing this review along. Below is my thoughts on what didn't sit well with me about the book. Forgive me for the negative review. Also, there is a bit of a spoiler, so if you haven't read the book and are planning to, proceed with ...more
Avisha Beeharreea
I read this book many times over, I stopped counting. Damn this book is intense on a scale to 10, it's 11. And whenever I finish it i am always angry. Why, whyyyyy is this not longer, the story i mean! Ouffff by the end of this book i always want to kick this H so hard in this head. And that Susie!!! Want her to get her just desserts! I hate how by the end of the book the H is still very loyal to his family i.e Susie ( her still getting the job of wearing the adamas jewels blablabla just because ...more
Mary Dulaney
Dec 21, 2016 Mary Dulaney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-recommended
Fiona Marsden
Dec 30, 2012 Fiona Marsden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: If you like short sweet stories with a bit of heat
This was a reread. I can't remember why I only gave it three stars the first time. All the dubious consent stuff I guess.

Reading it again I'm seeing more. The subtle indications of his feelings. Realising he was the man who originally invited her to the party that ended so badly, destroying her reputation and making it impossible for him to approach her again.

Annie is a nice little heroine. I can understand her point of view and yet see where her stubborness has led to creating problems for he
Leyns
Nov 13, 2016 Leyns rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few disappointments ruined the book for me.

First of all, I am never okay with a man hitting a woman. Not cool.
Then the ending (which was so promising) turned out to be awesomely disappointing.

**spoilers**
Why did his nasty cousin get her way? The heroine goes from 'she's a spoilt horrible person' to 'oh poor thing' so suddenly it gave me whiplash. And why? Just to please the hero. Gross. And why was her friend treated badly at the end? Especially why did she have to give in so easily over th
Booked
description

Cesar DeSanquez was right about Annie's beauty: it had made her into an international supermodel. But the only life about to be ruined was Annie's--by Cesar! In reality, she was a shy virgin, but Cesar preferred to believe in her glossy image. He passionately believed that she had torn apart his family in the space of a night. And now, in the cold light of dawn, he wanted his revenge!
Alisia
Mar 17, 2012 Alisia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like it and slapping a woman? Never ok.
Che Florendo
Aug 26, 2014 Che Florendo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I sooo love Cesar! There are some scenes i don't like, nevertheless i still gonna rate 5heartwhelming stars! This is definitely a great book! A must-read and re-read!
StMargarets
Now here is enough old school angst and OTT drama to take my mind off of current events. What a ride.

The opening is an attempted rape - so trigger warning. The action them moves forward four years to a party scene. The supermodel/child actress heroine is painted as a promiscuous maneater after being named in a divorce proceeding. She doesn't trust the media enough to set the record straight - nor does she trust anyone except for her OM friend.

The OM friend is currently estranged from his super
Renee Juneplum
Mar 05, 2017 Renee Juneplum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty good but still a little tame compared to the jerks I'm used to in HP land lol.
Maura
Sati Marie Frost
Denise Holder
Aug 20, 2015 Denise Holder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisite Harlequin Read

I disagree with the other readers who thought badly of the book maybe because I'm older and have seen more than my fair share in life, but I knew that it was frustration and jealousy that drove the male lead, add being an alpha male to the max and that I was a psychology major in college...there was no rape intent here,...not if yo have eyes and a heart and mind to see beyond a first intent. I thought it was intense yes but then been there, done that.
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. Romance novel about a model that accused ruin his sisters marriage but actually almost been rape. [s] 6 45 Nov 16, 2014 07:12PM
O rate 1 4 Nov 11, 2013 07:10AM
  • Disturbing Stranger
  • His Wedding Ring of Revenge
  • Mistress of the Groom
  • Rafe's Redemption
Hi, my name is Michelle Reid and I’ve been writing for Harlequin Mills & Boon for the last twenty years, and the crazy part about it is that I only realised it had been twenty years while updating this page!

So, hang on for a minute while I take this huge milestone in....

Twenty years with almost forty books published or in the pipeline ... I know it isn’t a great average when compared with some
More about Michelle Reid...