Start by marking “The Distance Between Us” as Want to Read:
The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Caddie Blair feels everything strongly—and so she works hard to keep her distance. It’s the ethical thing for a journalist to do, especially in a war-torn region like the Middle East. And Caddie wants to believe that nothing is as important as covering “the story.”

There’s room for passion in her life—but that’s only physical. And Caddie keeps even those fleeting attachment
Published November 3rd 2005 by Unbridled Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Distance Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Distance Between Us

Ron Charles
When foreign correspondents pass through our Boston newsroom, they radiate a kind of Old World glamour. For us Walter Mittys who confront nothing more dangerous than a jammed photocopier, the experiences of intrepid reporters working in the world's hot spots are the stuff of daydreams. But I also want to yell out, "Why on earth would you do this?"

One complex response to that cry of mingled respect and bewilderment comes in a new novel from Masha Hamilton called The Distance Between Us. Hamilton
Mary
Sometimes the best books are ones you stumble upon.
I was so excited to find this book at my local library so I could participate in 'The Novel Ideas' book club read that I didn't even notice that while the title was right-the author was not the same.
I read the book anyway and am so glad I did.
Hamilton is a former foreign correspondent and her experience comes through in her writing. This is a powerful book.
Caddie is a journalist living in Jerusalem and working the Middle East beat when tragedy
Ashley
one of the classes i am observing at rincon is reading this book. i had a chance to read a couple of chapters today and totally was hooked.

----------------------------
(8/14/08)
Now that I've finally gotten a chance to read the book in its entirety, I'm glad I did. Staying away from political commentary (which would be easy to slip into in a novel set in a war zone), Hamilton writes beautifully about loss and violence and war and revenge, all topics which really aren't beautiful at all. I apprecia
Francis
Yes, she does write beautifully about war, violence, loss and tragedy. But she tries to live her life as a dispassionate observer in the midst of some other persons hell. Her life is about recording moments while not letting the real events playing out before her distract from her profession.

So, like a wildlife photographer, she is enraptured with capturing the moment, so, she blocks out the violence happening before her eyes, while she keeps the camera trained on the action, and she makes no at
Janice
This author creates a character based on her own experience as a war correspondent. Caddie Blair is a war correspondent based in Jerusalem, and covers the violence and fighting there by forays to the West Bank, Lebanon, and other parts of the Middle East. Caddie feels she has seen it all, and that she can handle anything; she describes herself as "a stranger to astonishment". Caddie challenges herself and those she works with to take continual risks, but following a tragic death on one of these ...more
Nicole
I thought this was interesting, but at times I just didn't get it. Maybe I just didn't like the decisions the main character made. It is an interesting look at the Israel/Palestine situation.
Melissa Mcdonald
Dec 06, 2012 Melissa Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Shelves: fiction
Caddie Blair is an American journalist who has been covering the Middle East conflict for years. She knows the scent of teargas and the sound of tank fire, and has had to step over bodies to get the story. But when her lover dies beside her on the way to the next promising interview, she must reassess the violent world in which shes become immersed. She struggles to find the proper response to the killing of someone she loves. Then she meets Goronsky, himself a victim of terrorism and a believer ...more
Sandra Alonzo
Fabulous writing about a woman war reporter who goes through a terrible experience while in the field. Masha Hamilton really 'put me in the scene' throughout most of her novel, and seriously snagged my attention with some of her writing a few times. The setting, for the most part in Israel and adjoining countries, comes to life, as does Hamilton's characters in THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys a powerful read.
Sue Mellgren
So so...

Favorite Quote:

"By days end she sensed what lay over the city like a quilt; large rules with horrifying consequences. Rules way beyond the superficial restrictions of manners she'd known before. Absolute, binding, primitive rules that got their backbone from blood and stones and God."

Reflections of Caddie, a reporter, after her first day in the Middle East

Jodi
10 March 2011 -- A strange novel that starts weakly. The lack of a strong beginning that connects to the main story affects the reading experience. It was an interesting scenario if considered from the viewpoint of it being an insight into the lives of war correspondents but it seemed too surreal. Maybe that is what war reporting is like but it didn't ring true for me.
Diane
An interesting take on what a war correspondent goes through while covering confrontations in Israel.
Kalen
Another amazing book from Hamilton. I need to re-read this one as my own life (and another book, I confess....) got in the way and I wasn't able to focus the way I wanted to. Still, Hamilton is so gifted, writing about war, revenge, and other complexities in a way that makes it look effortless. Such a talent.
Joann
I loved Masha Hamilton's book "The Camel Bookmobile". It was a novel that I couldn't put down. I anxiously looked forward to this book but it just didn't make the grade to me. I just couldn't get into it.
Caddie is a journalist is Lebanon and Israel trying to survive the death of her lover, a photographer. The author covered conflicts such as this and knows how to describe it extremely well.
Brian
Woman with crush on photographer in Middle East realizes she loved him after he's killed…she tries to exact revenge so gets "inside" the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Astrid
Apr 24, 2011 Astrid added it
Shelves: abandoned
I loved 31 hours, but this books is not holding my interest. Too much detail of the politics that I don't know much about.
abandoned April 2011
Debbie
Nov 11, 2009 Debbie added it
One more book about the cultural divide ~ Western - Eastern life. This one written from the point of view of a woman journalist on the front.
John Meislahn
Female reporter trying to live her life among her reporting duties on the Gaza strip and sometimes getting to involved.
Maria
Sounded like a really interesting concept and story -- journalist caught in her stories -- but felt too superficial in the end.
Martha
Such honesty of writing - she goes from the where, when, how, what to the so what!
Lynn
Good melodrama set against the strange and sad middle East conflict.
Meg
novel,1st edition,signed
Lisa Unger
Lisa Unger marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Vivian L
Vivian L marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Nicky
Nicky marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Diane
Diane marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
  • The Pirate's Daughter
  • Down and Out on Murder Mile
  • Microbe
  • Hick
  • Capitol Betrayal: A Novel (Ben Kincaid, #18)
  • Word of Honor (Honor, #7)
  • Works of Edith Wharton
  • Riptide
  • The Door in the Wall and Other Stories
  • Stretch: The Unlikely Making of a Yoga Dude
Masha Hamilton is the author of five novels: Staircase of a Thousand Steps, (2001) a Booksense pick by independent booksellers and a Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers selection; The Distance Between Us, (2004) named one of the best books of the year by Library Journal, The Camel Bookmobile, (2007) also a Booksense pick, and 31 Hours, named by the Washington Post as one of the best book ...more
More about Masha Hamilton...
The Camel Bookmobile 31 Hours Staircase of a Thousand Steps What Changes Everything