Start by marking “Mario Makes a Move” as Want to Read:
Mario Makes a Move

Mario Makes a Move

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  25 reviews
According to Publishers Weekly in a starred review, this picture book "capture[s] the exuberance of the creative spirit alongside the quirks of a character accepting his limitations." Mario is a squirrel who loves to invent amazing moves, like the Super Looper and Tail, Don't Fail. But though his parents ooh and ahh at whatever he does, his friend Isabelle is not so easily ...more
Published May 8th 2012 by Schwartz & Wade

To ask other readers questions about Mario Makes a Move, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mario Makes a Move

Clare Rossetter
At first glance I was not impressed with this book. However, after using it with several classes I found there was more to this book then I had given it credit for. Mario is a squirrel who is full of self confidence due to having a very supportive family. Because of this he is able to deal with a perceived indifference from his friend Isabelle. At first he is crushed by her,"ho hum", attitude about his very creative moves. In the end the two work together to create the, "Even More Amazingly Amaz ...more
Angela
For everyone whose got "a move" and just needs the motivation to share, show and tell it.
Fun illustrations make this one a winner for story time.
Conni Strittmatter
The illustrations are very cute. I like the lesson in the end. There is also a cute list of facts about squirrels at the end.
Mary
I liked the idea of sharing talents (and that nobody "owns" them) but the book didn't grab me. The retro illustrations were fun.
John
This picture book will inspire your students to show off their best moves.
Amy Musser
Mario likes to invent amazing moves, like the Super Looper, the Rocket to Mars, the Crazy Wave. As he soars through the air everyone exclaims, “Artistic!” “Astonishing!” “Artistic!” Everyone except his friend Isabelle. She says, “Nice.” What!? Mario just can’t handle nice, he knows his talent is unique and amazing. But when he challenges Isabelle, he finds she can perform his moves with equal agility. Not only that, but Isabelle shows him that he’s not the only one with moves; everyone in the fo ...more
Jo
dancing, teamwork, cooperation, hobbies, friendship
Tara Kothari
About Merging your talents with your friends to get better at something. About being yourself and being confident!
Jen
I really enjoyed this book. I liked how Mario was creative/inventive and Isabelle was brainy/creative. I enjoyed the illustrations and the way everyone had a move of his/her own, thus showing that anyone can be creative. And I especially liked that Mario and Isabelle worked together to create a new amazing move to top their individual efforts. But almost most of all, I liked how the last page of the book included 13 facts about squirrels. :-)
Pamela
Mario doesn't think his move is too amazing anymore after Isabelle just calls it nice. Fun story about the power of words. Could be used as a fun example of how the same word can be modified slightly to change from a verb, to a noun, to an adjective, to an adverb (to amaze, amazer, amazing, amazingly). Contains interesting facts about squirrels at the end.
Read  Ribbet
A flying squirrel shows off his talents and then abandons them when others can do them too and has to be coaxed to come back to them paying off by collaborating with a friend. McElmurry adds some interesting ages of drawn plans away from the narrative story pages and has an interesting list of facts about squirrel's at the end.
Lisa Fabiano
Mario is a very talented squirrel who likes to create amazing moves: Jitterbug, Super Looper and Bowling Bowl to name a few. When his friend Isabelle is not impressed and shows him her own amazing moves, Mario is at a loss. He wants to be the only one who can make amazing moves. What is a squirrel to do?
Shelli
Always thinking his movies were special, Mario becomes disheartened after he discovers that anybody can have "a move." Maybe he should collect sticks or eat worms or something.
Sharon Lawler
Fans of squirrels will enjoy this cute story about two friends who share their amazing moves and create the Even More Amazingly Amazer.
Jessica
A charming book for all ages, with a perfect marriage of text and illustration -- an "amazingly amazing" little piece of theatre!
Danielle
Fun illustrations of the dance moves. And I love the "If you are a squirrel" list included at the end of the book.
Peacegal
A squirrel learns to be proud of his accomplishments, even if others are capable of doing the same thing.
Charming illustrations - gouache on water color paper.

Text - basic. Heavily based on dialogue.
Betsy
Cute story about awareness of the gifts of others. Loved the squirrel facts at the end.
Jennifer Kaap
A squirrel storytime possibility. Cute.
Jodie
It's ok to be unique and to share.
Edward Sullivan
Amazing acrobatic squirrels.
PWRL
Sep 24, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
E
Jessie Dae
Jessie Dae marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I'm Not a Baby Mad About Plaid Mess Pets Little Blue Truck Little Blue Truck Leads the Way