Start by marking “The Elves And The Shoemaker” as Want to Read:
The Elves And The Shoemaker

The Elves And The Shoemaker

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  37 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
A cobbler and his wife suddenly became very poor - all they had left to their name was one piece of leather. Before retiring for the evening the old gentleman cut out a pair of men's shoes. In the morning the shoes were finished and beautifully sewn! A gentleman came in and bought the pair enabling the cobbler and his wife to purchase more leather. The elves return each ni ...more
Published by Scholastic Book Services (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The Elves And The Shoemaker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Elves And The Shoemaker

Cara Byrne
Sep 13, 2015 Cara Byrne rated it really liked it
There is nothing particularly inventive about the story, writing or illustrations in this classic picture book, but after coming back to it twenty+ years after first reading this book, I am still charmed by the elderly couple and the helpful elves who work together to make shoes. It's lovely and a book I'm happy to share with Lu.
Malory Turnbull
The book starts off talking about the shoemaker being poor and how they are worried about money then it shoots to the positive. This book shows how even when your down you will always be up again you just have to believe in yourself and look for help when needed. I read this book when I was little and was obsessed with it because it was like magic how the shoes appeared. The story has a very happy fairy tale but real life situation involved. This would be a good book to read and maybe talk about ...more
Patricia
Jan 30, 2014 Patricia rated it liked it
I have always liked this magical little story. In this well-written edition, I especially love the illustrations of the clothes the shoemaker's wife makes for the little elves, as well as the fashions everyone else wears. It's a charming book.
Judy
I'm looking for the "perfect" retelling of this story. This one will do for now, but I'm still looking for a version that will capture my heart.
Michael Fitzgerald
Some of the worst-looking elves ever seen. Overall, a very lackluster presentation.
Ann
Jan 02, 2016 Ann rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite childhood stories!
Jessica
Apr 22, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I was so excited to find this in my library. It's the exact one I had as a child, and the nostalgia alone made it an invaluable experience. It's interesting to see how illustrations and color saturation in picture books have evolved over the past few decades.
Amy
Jan 11, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it
I love this Freya Littledale, Brinton Turkle version for the illustrations. A version we had as a kid.
Shannon
Dec 13, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it
Such a great story and I love the illustrations in this version. Classic to keep on the shelves!
Kimberly Souza
Dec 26, 2012 Kimberly Souza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this story and this version has such wonderful illustrations.
Kathleen Klingshirn
Kathleen Klingshirn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Heather Pope
Heather Pope marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Nate
Nate rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Dimity
Dimity added it
Mar 16, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Bethani Wilson
Bethani Wilson rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2015
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015