Start by marking “Gemstones” as Want to Read:
Gemstones

Gemstones (Smithsonian Handbooks)

Designed for beginners and experienced collectors alike, these field guides make identification of individual specimens sure, simple and straightforward. Each entry has a full color illustration as well as color-coded bands that provide at-a-glance facts for quick reference. Easy to use and beautiful to look at, this series is an invaluable resource for every collector.
Published May 15th 2002 by Gem Guides Book Company (first published March 15th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Gemstones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gemstones

Emma Blackery
Apr 03, 2014 Emma Blackery rated it really liked it
Not a book for beginners, but that's a lapse of judgement on my part! As a total novice to gemstones, this was quite hard to get into with the many terms used (cleavage, birefringence, fire, lustre) but towards the end of the book, I found myself understanding these terms in relation to other gems. Glad I picked this up, though - learned about many beautiful gems I'd never seen before!
Tori
Sep 17, 2008 Tori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting. My main complaint was the focus--what I really wanted was more info on the gemstones used in jewelry, and this book focused more on gemstones in general, thus spending a lot of space on the rare and unsuitable for jewelry. Also, the book includes so many pictures of rare variations, that it gives a skewed idea of what the stone normally looks like. (Especially for fluorite!) I did come to understand one main source of confusion. Scientists today know a lot more about chemical ...more
Nadia
Mar 27, 2012 Nadia rated it it was amazing
I don't know if it's a bad thing, but I have a minor, well ok, major, obsession with gemstones. So, reading this book was my blessing. I've probably read it about 20 times or so, scanning through, reading about all things from malachite to watermelon tourmaline. It's really informing and interesting.
Lynn
Dec 02, 2016 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crystals
A very compact guide to a plethora of crystals. Interesting nuggets that deserve many re-reads. Cannot catch all at one go.
Anastassiya
Jun 24, 2008 Anastassiya rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
This laconic book gave me a good introduction into the esoteric world of gemstones. A great, consice description of each gem. The photos are incredible, most of them I later discovered in the Natural History Museum (London).

The most spectacural of gems being Watermelon Tourmaline! Well pehaps after Chysoberil Alexandrite!
Rebecca Huston
Aug 10, 2010 Rebecca Huston rated it it was amazing
A lovely little book on gemstones, full of pictures and straightup data, along with some history. Great for those of us who like bright shiny things that make us go 'Ooooooooh!'

For the full review please go here:
Tina
Good reference book for gemstones for geologists or gemologists. Includes information such as color, crystal system, cleavage, fracure, hardness, specific gravity and refractive index for each gemstone. Discusses where in the world gemstones are found, how they are formed and how they are mined. Includes beautiful color photographs of gemstones of all shapes and sizes.
Kat
Aug 26, 2012 Kat rated it it was amazing
This is basically the best gem handbook that I've found for anyone who doesn't have a professional certification. It gives all of the necessary information on a variety of stones, and some very interesting and useful history and information about other aspects of gemology.
Maya
Apr 24, 2014 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this world within a world the gemmologist may turn detective, being able to distinguish between two outwardly similar stones, or between a natural stone and a fake.
Mark
Jun 26, 2011 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good nonfiction book. It is richly illustrated with color photographs. The groupings of stones are logical, both by color and chemical composition. The science is also fascinating.
May 19, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good pictures and highly informative. I read it because I wanted a beginner's overview, but a friend of mine has a copy that she uses for more depth than I am ready for.
Winnie
Mar 23, 2010 Winnie rated it it was amazing
I kept reading this over and over again while I was obsessed with gemstones and jewels, this is a very handy guide.
Jenny GB
Jul 06, 2014 Jenny GB rated it really liked it
Beautiful and informative...what more could you want? I had a lot of fun looking up my favorites and reading about them as well as looking at ones I don't think about as much.
Donna
Jul 04, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing
My quick go to book whenever I see a stone that interests me. Having a degree in Geology & a certification in Diamonds I from GIA helps me to understand at a glance what the stone is all about.
Melinda
Melinda rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2008
Sandeep
Sandeep rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Rami
Rami rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2010
R Rajesh
R Rajesh rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Dahlia
Dahlia rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2010
Francovschi Ion
Francovschi Ion rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2012
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Nina Walton
Nina Walton rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2016
#daddy D
#daddy D rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2013
Tara
Tara rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Elizabeth Barnes
Elizabeth Barnes rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Joshua Stapel
Joshua Stapel rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Agnesia
Agnesia rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Tinkzy
Tinkzy rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2012
Caroline Mardock
Caroline Mardock rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Rocks & Minerals (Smithsonian Handbooks)
  • DK Handbook: Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • Explorations: Introduction to Astronomy
  • Herbs (DK Handbooks)
  • Gemstones of the World
  • The Ferengi Rules of Acquisition (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Writing Philosophy: A Student's Guide to Writing Philosophy Essays
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Butterflies
  • The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Fantasy
  • Industrial/Organizational Psychology: An Applied Approach
  • Psychology Applied to Modern Life: Adjustment in the 21st Century
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Western Region (National Audubon Society Field Guide)
  • Descriptionary: A Thematic Dictionary

Smithsonian Handbooks (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Smithsonian Handbooks: Birds of the World (Smithsonian Handbooks)
  • Birds of North America: Eastern Region
  • Birds of North America: Western Region
  • Birds of New England
  • Birds of the Mid-Atlantic
  • Birds of Florida
  • Smithsonian Handbooks: Birds of Texas (Smithsonian Handbooks)
  • National Audubon Society Birder's Handbook