Start by marking “Harlem Stomp!: A Cultural History of the Harlem Renaissance” as Want to Read:
Harlem Stomp!: A Cultural History of the Harlem Renaissance

Harlem Stomp!: A Cultural History of the Harlem Renaissance

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When it was released in 2004, "Harlem"" Stomp!" was the first trade book to bring the Harlem Renaissance alive for young adults! Meticulously researched and lavishly illustrated, the book is a veritable time capsule packed with poetry, prose, photographs, full-color paintings, and reproductions of historical documents. Now, after more than three years in hardcover, three s ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Turtleback Books (first published January 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Harlem Stomp!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harlem Stomp!

Andi
Starting in 1900 and stretching over the next 35 years, this volume highlights the struggles, innovations, celebrations and achievements of Black Americans in and around Harlem, New York. The opening section documents the violent and oppressive climate in America at the turn of the last century, setting the stage for northern migration and the rise of Black creative energy. In music, literature, visual arts, movies, social life and political organization these communities broke through to a new ...more
Beth
I have recently become fascinated with the Harlem Renaissance. When I think of all of the elements of our collective culture that came from that era, I think of how even more of an injustice it was the way African Americans were treated in our country.

This book was an excellent look into all of those elements of Black culture during that time that helped shape our country. I loved how reading felt like looking through a scrapbook of memories - good and bad.

The only reason I gave it 3 stars inst
Leon Gray
SS5H4 The student will describe U.S. involvement in World War I and post-World War I America.
b. Describe the cultural developments and individual contributions in the 1920s of the Jazz Age (Louis Armstrong), the Harlem Renaissance (Langston Hughes), baseball (Babe Ruth), the automobile (Henry Ford), and the airplane (Charles Lindbergh).

Could not ask for a better book to use a supplemental text. The book has absolutely everything a student will need to write a report, summary,describe culture, an
Chii Muni
This book explains the African-American migration north at the beginning of the 20th century. It explains the frustration, violence from African-Americans living in the south and the dreams of economic opportunity that was in the north. This book explains why blacks settled in Harlem and how Harlem because the center of the “New Negro Movement.” This book highlights all aspects of the Harlem Renaissance, from rent parties to the theater. There are quotes from speeches, poems, photographs and mag ...more
Quinten Boyd
This book brings to light the African-American cultural shift and explosion that occurred during the 20th century. Not only does the book talk about the discrimination and hostile environment that Black Americans faced, but showed how they moved away from the hate and let their ideas flow. I thought that the use of primary documents, the words of those involved in the renaissance, and the display of their accomplishments helps bring this story to life even more for the reader. We can see how the ...more
Zoe
A beautiful book that combines visual art and historical information to give an overview of the Harlem Renaissance. This book is a keeper, suitable for anyone 10 and over, and a great intro to African American history and the arts.
Diane Ramirez
This book started off with such a bang -- it was inspirational and heartbreaking and wow, some of the stuff that came out of the difficulties of the Jim Crow era is just sublime. My only beef with this book is that it begins reading like a reference book once you get into the heart of the matter. Unfortunately that's not the best format for a reader like me that hits up the library for reads rather than collecting my own library. Tiny beef, and I do recommend this for anybody interested in one o ...more
Alicia
I'm sure its purposes for historical information makes it easier to see the value than reading it for pleasure. I didn't necessarily enjoy the content or the busy-ness of each page chock full of Harlem Renaissance tidbits. I thought it would be lighter and more prose-like like Twelve Rounds to Glory that I read on Friday-- it would have made it more enjoyable.
Nancy
I see that this has not been well recieved here in "goodreads land." But folks didn't say why not. I found it fascinating and accessible for YA readers. Lots of primary sources and interesting pictures and a seemingly good lead up to and exploring of the Harlem Renaissance.
Jennie
Dec 20, 2007 Jennie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children
Harlem Stomp! is a truly stunning book. The photographs, handwritten notes, playbills and other scrapbook memorabilia make this book unique and beautiful to read. The text is accurate and informative and provides an excellent introduction to the Harlem Renaissance.
Kerrie McCormick
This book was fascinating! I learned so much about the Harlem Renaissance. It helped me prepare a high school unit plan on the topic. It had great photos and illustrations to depict this time period in our country! I would love to own a copy.
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
Lara Mansfeld
Lara Mansfeld marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Navi
Navi marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Ashley Cortez
Ashley Cortez marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Kayla Hoskinson
Kayla Hoskinson marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Ryn
Ryn marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Paula Midgley
Paula Midgley marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave When the Beat Was Born: DJ Kool Herc and the Creation of Hip Hop America Dreaming: How Youth Changed America in the 60's Casa Azul: An Encounter with Frida Kahlo Watch Out for Room 13 (Choose Your Own Nightmare, #11)