Start by marking “Song in the Dark (Vampire Files, #11)” as Want to Read:
Song in the Dark (Vampire Files, #11)

Song in the Dark (Vampire Files #11)

P. N. Elrod's novels of The Vampire Files blend the seductive shadows of classic noir into a sanctuary for a most unusual private investigator-vampire Jack Fleming. In Elrod's newest novel, Jack is under the gun when the New York mafia wants his hide, and the love of his life is wanted for murder.
Published September 6th 2005 by Ace Hardcover (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Song in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Song in the Dark

Jamie Collins
Aug 29, 2007 Jamie Collins rated it really liked it
An entertaining trip to 1930's Chicago with Jack Fleming, the vampire nightclub owner, part-time private investigator and reluctant mafia boss stand-in. Fleming struggles with mafia politics while trying to piece himself back together in the aftermath of a horrific experience with a sadistic gangster.

These books have a nice historical setting with just a touch of the paranormal. Fleming has very traditional vampire strengths and weaknesses, but his supernatural nature flavors the stories without
Mike
Jun 25, 2012 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, mystery

This series is always a fun exploration of the past. This volume does not disappoint. However, the tone is a bit darker, after his torture at the hands of a New York mob enforcer, vampire Jack Fleming is having a bit of trouble with shell-shock, or what you & I call PTSD. While that's bad enough for a regular guy, for a vampire it can be dangerous, not only for him but for his friends too.

Exciting and fun, this novel has everything, including a bit of soul-searching. The period detail is a n

Alexis Masters
This book blew me away. After surviving a particularly gruesome experience at the end of the last book, Jack is now reeling from what happened and what he did to survive. His mind is fractured and he's terrified of himself and of staying close to anyone, not knowing what he might do. Charles and Bobbi, the two people most important to Jack, work extra hard to help Jack work through his trauma, but the strain is higher than ever. On top of that, Jack's other friend Gordy is still out of commissio ...more
E.
Sep 30, 2009 E. rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Jack Fleming, gentleman vampire, nightclub owner and temporary head mobster, is trying to juggle all of his new duties while dealing with the aftermath of his own torture at the hands of a sadistic maniac. The New York bosses have sent Whitey Kroun to Chicago to discipline Jack which may result in a reorganization of the entire Chicago gang that Jack is trying to run as a favor for the injured Gordy. Jack is experiencing physical as well as psychological problems as a result of his ordeal and de ...more
Janet Windeguth
The reason I like this series so much is the vampirism is sort of an afterthought. Jack’s an up-and-coming nightclub owner, he’s got a great girlfriend, works as a sometimes partner in a P.I. business, and just happens to sport fangs and sleep during the day.
Janice
Feb 24, 2008 Janice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: supernatural, mystery
Decided to go ahead and read this one next as it's a direct sequel to Cold Streets and wraps up the action from that one. Good stuff, though I had already tagged the major plot "twist" in the last book.
Betty
Jan 18, 2011 Betty rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
It's funny how a series can grow on you...I red the first novel and like it, but didn't think much of the next one so didn't pursue it any further, but somehow got hooked into the series again later and have very much enjoyed the later books.

I really like the period aspects of the story..
Kwinn
Apr 30, 2013 Kwinn rated it it was amazing
Aww gad .. My mom buy this for me but I didn't read the whole series it's just this but I want to read it I dunno jack fleming got me hook even though this is the 11 book in the series I enjoyed this very much .
Katie
Nov 28, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A little darker than the others; this book opens up new plot possibilities. I can't wait to see where Elrod takes Flemming & Escott. Definitely a good read.
Michael Rhode
Aug 27, 2013 Michael Rhode rated it it was ok
Shelves: library
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing
excellent, funny how I can cope with this violence & not other
Olivia
Mar 05, 2012 Olivia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: need-to-buy, ebook
This was probably the best book in the series... until the end. It just ended, not even a cliffhanger. Just... end.
Tanya
Tanya rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2017
Mnystrom
Mnystrom rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
DaNela
DaNela rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Linda Welch
Linda Welch rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2010
Joseph Dysart
Joseph Dysart rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2008
Cyril
Cyril rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2012
Jennifer Kennedy
Jennifer Kennedy rated it liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Darren L.
Darren L. rated it did not like it
Sep 27, 2007
Sylvie
Sylvie rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2011
Sheila Anzlovar
Sheila Anzlovar rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Jennifer Solodow
Jennifer Solodow rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Cfxh
Cfxh rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Deaana
Deaana rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2008
Ash
Ash rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Judy
Judy rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2017
Cathy
Cathy rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Michelle Parker
Michelle Parker rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2016
  • Paint it Black (Sonja Blue, #3)
  • Keeper of the King (Ethical Vampires #1)
  • Blood Maidens (James Asher, #3)
  • Smoke and Mirrors (Tony Foster #2)
  • Blood Alone (Austra Family, #2)
  • The Saint-Germain Chronicles (Saint-Germain, #6)
  • Blood Secrets
  • Never Burn a Witch (A Rowan Gant Investigation #2)
  • Brimstone Kiss (Delilah Street, Paranormal Investigator, #2)
Patricia Nead Elrod is an American fantasy writer specializing in novels about vampires. Her work falls into areas of fantasy and (in some cases) mystery or historical fiction, but normally not horror, since her vampires are the heroes. -Wikipedia
More about P.N. Elrod...

Vampire Files (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Bloodlist (Vampire Files, #1)
  • Lifeblood (Vampire Files, #2)
  • Bloodcircle (Vampire Files, #3)
  • Art in the Blood (Vampire Files, #4)
  • Fire in the Blood (Vampire Files, #5)
  • Blood on the Water (Vampire Files, #6)
  • A Chill in the Blood (Vampire Files, #7)
  • The Dark Sleep (Vampire Files, #8)
  • Lady Crymsyn (Vampire Files, #9)
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)