Start by marking “Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland” as Want to Read:
Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland

Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland

Fearsome giants, magic spells, Druidic rods of enchantment; gallant princes and beautiful princesses, brave kings and wicked queens; cloaks of invisibility, swords of light and swords of darkness, horses that go faster than the wind, animals that speak and have strange powers...these are elements common to all fairy tales, and they appear prominently in this excellent coll ...more
Published June 1st 1975 by Dover Publications (first published 1890)

To ask other readers questions about Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths and Folk Tales of Ireland

Taylor
Feb 07, 2014 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't count how many times I've picked up this book after finishing it, just to reread a story or two.

While you may love Hans Christian Anderson or the Brothers Grimm, this is something you have to check out. The stories feel similar to our beloved and popular ones, but they have stronger heroines, stronger tests and sillier conquests. Yes, it seems strange that to kill a giant, you have to cut down a tree, to set free a fox, with a duck inside the fox and an egg inside the duck that holds th
Tom Carson
This collection of Irish folk tales, as told by Jeremiah Curtin, will most likely be at least slightly enjoyable to anyone who is interested in the subject, and the author’s own explorative introduction does well to give substance to the collection and demonstrate that Curtin is a writer of merit who is concerned with his own understanding of the material.

That said, it is important for the reader to note that these are folk tales as “told” by Curtin rather than “retold” by Curtin, meaning he see
Ariel
Sep 12, 2016 Ariel rated it really liked it
There were some really interesting cultural notes in the introduction. It's also interesting to note the similarities of some of the stories between popular ones I read before like Cinderella, The Traveling Companion, and King Arthur. Having also read some stuff before on Irish literature and culture, it was pretty awesome reading it for myself rather than just references to the stories and themes.
Maura
Mar 22, 2010 Maura rated it really liked it
i've been reading a tale or two of this every night before going to sleep - they make very good bedtime stories!

these folk tales are a bit different from those from the continent (which i'm more used to). there's no obvious (to me) "moral" of the story. Fin, the big hero, seems to be fairly ineffectual when asked to use his brain or make a decision -- he's always trying to kill off servants that he likes and respects, because one of his men (obviously jealous of EVERYONE) wants him to. way to go
Nigel
Nov 20, 2014 Nigel rated it it was amazing
Fairy tales, or rather fairy stories, if that's a distinction meaningful outside of my own head, about sons and daughters and Fionn, who is a son, and the things they do, fighting giants, playing games of chance and always losing the third, stealing clothes from magician's daughters who change into swans, fighting the armies of the king of Spain, outwitting hags, getting a hell of a lot of wise and/or magical help to see them through their adventures, marrying up and making out like bandits. The ...more
Isabella
Jul 25, 2016 Isabella rated it it was ok
This book was interesting in the beginning and got slow as it progressed. The contents of the book had similarities with Cinderella and other everyday story tales. Some of the stories were common and copied each other with different characters, so you kind of know what happens next. This book of forgotten Irish folk lore was a bit confusing, with it's old-time language, but otherwise, it was a great read!
Rose Gold
Jul 05, 2016 Rose Gold rated it it was ok
Well, this was interesting. I found that I heard more of the authors voice than ancient tales being passed down but I suppose that is how it is done, right? I am a huge mythology nerd and love reading cultural mythology books but I couldn't find a rhythm with this one. Quite a few tales are similar, feel rushed or like they add in random bits that don't flesh out a tale in the end. I didn't hate this book but I won't recommend it either among the plethora of Irish Folk Tale books available.
Gabrielle Carolina Nash
It is so fabulous to study the art of Celtic story by reading through the most popular myths and watching for tropes and common practices to inflect upon my own stories!

I HIGHLY recommend this resource.
P.
Jan 10, 2009 P. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fictive
I'm going to buy a copy today. These folktales have the earmarks of good, fun oral tradition: plots veer one way and another but all retain repeating elements, sometimes quests start out with one objective and end up with another, and sometimes things are just fun and weird.
A.R. Jarvis
Aug 13, 2016 A.R. Jarvis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales
This is an awesome book of Irish tales, including some typical fairy tales, and some stories based off the Fin McCool (however that's spelled) cycle. They didn't seem to be the...uh...canon stories for McCool, but they were pretty fun to read, if a bit repetitious in parts.
A. Mary
Apr 06, 2012 A. Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: irish-myth
This is an interesting collection of stories, and worth reading, but don't come to Jeremiah Curtin expecting an Irish cadence or tone to the stories. He is not a cultural insider, but a visitor to the island.
Joshua
Oct 04, 2010 Joshua rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great retelling of Irish folk stories, but order of the stories can get confusing because the timeline jumps around so much.
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
christopher loftis
christopher loftis rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2016
Sofia
Sofia rated it liked it
May 02, 2012
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2008
Kari
Kari rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2013
Ellie
Ellie rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2011
Valli
Valli rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Don Churchill
Don Churchill rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Nora
Nora rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2007
Michelle Fox
Michelle Fox rated it really liked it
May 21, 2008
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Elizabeth Hitz
Elizabeth Hitz rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Jennifer Ware
Aug 30, 2011 Jennifer Ware rated it really liked it
Good fun for those researching thier Irish heritage.
Nivek Carr
Nivek Carr rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2014
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Myths & Legends of the British Isles
  • More Celtic Fairy Tales
  • Celtic Myths and Legends (Myths of the World)
  • The Names Upon The Harp: Irish Myth And Legend
  • The Mabinogi and Other Medieval Welsh Tales
  • Dictionary of Celtic Mythology
  • Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland
  • Tales of the Elders of Ireland
  • Scottish Fairy and Folk Tales
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
  • Heroes of the Dawn: Celtic Myth (Myth and Mankind)
  • Folklore of the Scottish Highlands