Start by marking “Shyness and Dignity” as Want to Read:
Shyness and Dignity

Shyness and Dignity

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  344 ratings  ·  35 reviews
An Ibsen scholar falls desperately out of society—publication coinciding with Ibsen's 100th anniversary celebrations

In front of him, twenty-nine young men and women about the age of eighteen who looked at him and returned his greeting. He asked them to take out their school edition of The Wild Duck. He was once more struck by their hostile attitude toward him. But it could
Published July 25th 2006 by Graywolf Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Shyness and Dignity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shyness and Dignity

Ana
Um professor de norueguês no ensino secundário, com mais de 50 anos, um pouco alcoólico, irremediavelmente preso a uma triste rotina, casado com uma mulher que já foi "indescritivelmente bela" e a quem já pouco mais diz do que "tem um bom dia".
O dia em que atinge o limite, em que se desmoronam todas as ilusões e apenas sobra a solidão.
"É terrível, mas não há caminho de volta."
MJ Nicholls
A bunch of so-so ideas barely stapled together in novel-form. Elias Rukla (fore- and surname used throughout the whole novel) is a teacher who has a moment of realisation about a peripheral character in Ibsen’s The Wild Duck. His pupils couldn’t give a hoot, and he smashes an umbrella to bits in the playground as a kind of rebellion.

Flashback, then, to his time at university, his friendship with an eminent philosopher, and his subsequent marriage to an “indescribably beautiful” woman, who is des
Luís Miguel
Engenhoso, bastante mesmo. Apesar de ser um livro pequeno, conta a história de um professor de Norueguês do ensino secundário que, ao analisar a obra de Ibsen “O Pato Selvagem”, desencadeia nesse dia uma serie de acontecimentos e reminiscências sobre a sua vida. Solstad descreve muito bem parte do que é ser professor, sendo esse o trecho que mais me cativou e não deixará indiferente quem sabe o que é leccionar. Esta novela sobre o dia decisivo de Elias Rukla encerra um universo que gradualmente ...more
João Carlos
NOTA PRÉVIA: “Pudor E Dignidade” do escritor norueguês Dag Solstad é um livro que deve ser lido por todos os professores do ensino secundário com alunos de mais ou menos 18 anos.

Elias Rukla é um “professor cinquentão, ligeiramente alcoólico, com uma mulher que engordara uns quilos a mais e com quem tomava o pequeno-almoço todas as manhãs."
Numa rotina exasperante ensina na Escola Secundária de Fagerborg há 25 anos a alunos de 18 anos literatura norueguesa, dedicando especial atenção a Henrik Ibs
Lukáš Palán
Každé souvětí této knihy je delší než knížky Barbory Nesvatbový, takže tímto tuto knihu rozhodně nedoporučuji těm dvěma ženským, který dělají na Flóře v pekárně. Kromě toho je to ovšem kniha velmi dobrá. Dá se číst jak na záchodě (odzkoušeno doma i u rodičů), tak i v pokoji či kuchyni. Moc se mi také líbilo, že vydavatel zvolil bílý papír a černé písmo = text je velmi dobře čitelný. Co se týče děje, tak tady bych trochu vytknul, že kniha vůbec neobsahuje sex, tanky, výbuchy a ani jedním slovem s ...more
Harry Rutherford
A short, introspective novel about a literature teacher in a Norwegian secondary school; he has an unexpectedly emotional reaction to an apparently trivial moment in a lesson, and it triggers off an examination of his life story.

The portrayal of his interior life seemed nuanced and persuasive, and the book does a good job of establishing one set of ideas about who this man is, and then unexpectedly showing him to us in a new light. It's well done and rather touching.
phatic
An element of intranslatability in the title: Dignity is translated from Norw 'verdighet', which isn't wrong, but in the Norw there's an additional subtext of value ('verdi'), or -- more to the point -- value-ness. So there's a sense in which the title alludes to shyness and value-ness, the sense that existence has been assigned value(s), which makes it appear more contingent than the English assumes.
Henry
My first real taste of Scandinavian literature and a pretty bleak from start to finish. Might be written to deter would be teachers. It is a strangely touching portrait of a man breaking down in his fifties ranting about modern culture and education. For me, in the end it is just a little bit too despairing and lacking in narrative drive.
Sigmund
If this book wasn't so thin (about 130 pages), I would not finished it. The story was a lot of thinking back, too many thoughts of not so many things. It was also the largest collection I have seen of long sentences, the longest were almost one page long! No chapters or pauses, just a long continuous text. This was not in my taste.
Elise
Jul 31, 2008 Elise rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who enjoy feeling depressed
Recommended to Elise by: my mother!
It was solely due to wanting to be able to post this on GR that I finished this cotton picking book. I had to drag myself kicking and screaming through the final ten pages. It was agony. Okay, the guy can write, but what a miserable wretched book. And did I mention, boring, repetitive, and incredibly depressing?
Disarticulate
Although this novel is only 150 pages it is not an easy read. The first third of the novel is basically critique of a scene from Ibsen's 'Wild Duck'. More specifically the lesson revolves round the minor character Dr Relling and his function within the play.

This critique takes the form of a lesson by Elias Rukla, Senior Master of Norwegian Literature teaching a class of bored 19 year-old students. This section is a mixture of interior and exterior monlogue with Rukla discussing 'The Wild Duck'
William Cane
This is Kafka leaping into the 21st century with plenty of Beckett thrown into the mix; a brilliant tour de force that brings pastiche and pathos to a new high.
Fredrik
"Would not someone who could relate to this without cracking up possess an inward composure, display an air of being transfigured?"
Ludmirska
Loved this book! It starts out as a bud and blossoms into a flower which though not large and exotic still is remarkable for its rarity.
Caterina
A moving, poignant novel with an unusual style - like a work of music based on a man's interior life. The protagonist, Dr. Elias Rukla is a thoughtful man, a rather humble teacher of Norwegian literature who feels sure that his work is valuable to society, until suddenly he perceives a change - in his students, in society, among his fellow teachers - that leaves him feeling profoundly alienated. Unable to go on, he melts down on the school playground, beating his poor hapless umbrella to shreds ...more
Ben
She isn't sleeping anyway. She pretends to be asleep, but she's listening.... It must have been in 1974 that Johan Corneliussen suddenly came out with this statement about his young wife listening in her sleep, and Elias Rukla was then a bachelor of thirty-four and had long ago given up the idea of finding a life partner. Actually, he did not mind; he liked to be alone, and one of the reasons why he had always withdrawn from women (after he had asked them for a date and walked them home, at the ...more
Irwan
This novel has an existential mood which reminds me of Sartre's Nausea. Elias Rukla was awaken one day and start contemplating his life.

I could feel a different closeness with this novel as I live in Norway, having been to the places mentioned in it, or having experienced being a student in the University of Oslo. The setting was pretty much involving the life of students in a Norwegian context. I could also relate to the boredom Elias felt in his mundane everyday life of stable Norway. And his
Erica
I thought it was very well written, but I do take issue with the style. It is more like an essay than a novel. There was some characterization and some scenes, but not much in those areas. I think if I wasn't a writer, I may enjoy it more, because I think that writing a novel that is based on ideas rather than a plot is considerably easier than trying to convey ideas through scenes and dialogue. There was a great deal of telling and not a whole lot of showing. While there are problems with the s ...more
Stein Roar
Elias Rukla er en lettere alkoholisert middelaldrende norsklektor i den videregående skole. I en norsktime på høsten får han en åpenbaring om en av rollefigurene i Ibsens Vilanden, men åpenbaringen møtes med fullstendig likegyldighet fra de 18 år gamle elevene. På vei ut fra skolen lar han sin frustrasjon gå ut over en paraply som ikke vil åpne seg og elevene som står i nærheten. Elias Rukla går igjennom hele sitt liv på vei hjem til kona, fra studietiden og frem til i dag. Alt mesterlig skrevet ...more
Nojood Alsudairi
ترجمة شبه حرفية أعاقت علي الاستمتاع بالقراءة. تركيبات لغوية غريبة لم أستطع فهم معظمها. استمتعت فقط بالجانب الإنساني من القصة. أتمنى لو استطعت قراءة الكتاب بلغته الأصلية فلربما كان أمتع إذ لم أفهم كثرة التكرارات في الموضوع الواحد؛ هل يتعلق هذا باللغة نفسها أم أن الكاتب أراد أن يؤكد على اهتزاز ثقة الشخصية الرئيسية بقدراتها. الاختباء وراء وهج الأصدقاء يثير شجوني. التضارب بين الامتنان والتضحية والحب أيضا محزن في هذه الرواية.
حدث بسيط جدا يستطيع قلب حياتنا رأسا على عقب بالفعل
Rosaria Nepivodová
A study of sadness and feeling of hopelessness and despair of an individual,yet surrounded by life steadiness, in the middle of society. The relationships between people are becoming more and more game-like; the more an idividual is aware of this fact, the better his or her chances are to experience at least a bit acceptable life.
Sometimes harder to read due to not much "action" and few dialogues. However, the final feeling is surprisingly purgative.
Max
thoroughly enjoyed this, it's beautifully put and I glided through it, guided thoughtfully by the insight and stylistic brocade of the author, the author's style being rather metronomic and his melancholy spirit altogether poignant to me, the reader, on account of us, the protagonist and the reader both, sharing the very same limitations in our souls. he tries, how he tries. it won the sympathy I ordinarily reserve for myself.
Htarabai
A wonderful novel, Talk about every person of us through every age he pass through especially after he grows up,the difference in passion, love and thoughts that develop and change with time. Also it talks about Europe at our modern century, How it changed, how money and work effected our feelings and emotional build up. I would advise all to read this wonderful novel.
S
The reason why I choose to drop books early on is simply to avoid reading books like these. No offense to the fans, I just didn't enjoy it at all.

Also found it funny yet at the same time incredibly annoying how the author constantly used around 50-100 words to describe something that could be done with just a few.
Unionjen
and anger and frustration and unrequited love. Bleak but true. Got this in a scandinavian shop, but it is about teaching and marriage and insecurity. For wallflowers everywhere.
Julie Burnett
This book grabbed me from the very beginning. I enjoyed it.
The author really captured what can be some people's journey through growing older and lost dreams.
Rode Skullerud
Couldn't figure out how to give a novel less than one star...a much needed missing option for this one!
Boring plot, horrible descriptions.. do I need to go on?
Rebekka
I liked this book. It delivers what Thursday promised. I have not read Ibsen but at my age I see who you change your view of a piece of fiction as you get older.
Eli
Lovely. Though he failed to give the 'indescribably beautiful' Eva anything resembling a personality.
Joakim Ruud
Dette er så påtatt Solstadsk at det sikkert kunne vært skrevet av en satiriker, som parodi.
  • Thomas F's siste nedtegnelser til almenheten
  • Lasso rundt fru Luna
  • The Sharks
  • Innsirkling
  • Fugledansen (Elling, #2)
  • The Seducer
  • Lillelord
  • Pan: From Lieutenant Thomas Glahn's Papers
  • imot kunsten
  • The Half Brother
  • De usynlige
  • A Time for Everything
620987
Dag Solstad is one of the most recognized Norwegian writers of our time. He deputed in 1956 with the short story collection "Spiraler" (Spirals). His first novel, "Irr! Grønt!", was published four years later. His books have been translated into 30 different languages.

He has won a number of awards, which include receiving the Norwegian critics award thrice and being considered for the Independent
More about Dag Solstad...
Gymnaslærer Pedersens Beretning Om Den Store Politiske Vekkelsen Som Har Hjemsøkt Vart Land (Norwegian Edition) Professor Andersens Natt Novel 11, Book 18 T. Singer: Roman Roman, 1987.

“And so, when the chips are down, I must say, though not without a sense of repugnance, that if you wish to show your belief in democracy, you also have to do so when you are in the minority, convinced both intellectually and, not least, in your innermost self, that the majority, in the name of democracy, is crushing everything you stand for and that means something to you, indeed, all that gives you the strength to endure, well, that gives a kind of meaning to your life, something that transcends your own fortuitous lot, one might say. When the heralds of democracy roar, triumphantly bawling out their vulgar victories day after day so that it really makes you suffer, as in my own case, you still have to accept it; I will not let anything else be said about me, he thought.” 1 likes
“[...] og at han la særlig vekt på å gjennomgå Ibsens dramaer med sine elever, da var det den andre kunne si: Ja, Ibsen, ja, han ligger nok for høyt for meg, eller: Nei, du vet, jeg har aldri kommet til å interessere meg for litteratur, og i dette lå det en beklagelse, og den var ikke deres egen, for de var jo så lite interessert i litteratur og Ibsens dramaer at de ikke så noen grunn til å beklage det, hva i himmelens navn var det de skulle beklage, for sin egen del? Nei, det var som samfunnsmennesker de fant det nødvendig å uttrykk denne beklagelse, altså beklagelse som et nødvendig uttrykk for den dannelse ethvert sivilisert samfunn søker å gi sine borgere, og som det, som man ser, i dette tilfellet hadde lykkes med. At enkle samtaler mellom gamle kjente som tilfeldigvis treffes etter noen år, arter seg slik, og ikke på stikk motsatt vis, på dette bygger et hvert sivilisert samfunn sine fundamenter, hadde han ofte tenkt, ikke minst i de siste åra.” 0 likes