Start by marking “Dillon Dillon” as Want to Read:
Dillon Dillon

Dillon Dillon

What kind of parents would name their child Dillon Dillon?

For his tenth birthday, Dillon's parents give him a red rowboat with his name painted on the stern: Dillon Dillon. Why did his parents give him a name like that? To Dillon, it seems like the right time to find out. The truth alters everything Dillon has ever known or felt about himself and his family. But with the r
Published April 11th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dillon Dillon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dillon Dillon

Kate
Aug 18, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dillon Dillon. Who would name their child with the same first and last names? Dillon doesn't know. And sometimes, he feels like an outsider in his family because of it. During a vacation in New Hampshire, Dillon learns a family secret that hurts him deeply... but with the help of a family of loons, he's able to heal and learn the true meaning of family bonds.

Not sure how the average child will like this - metaphorical readers, or readers who enjoy Cynthia Voigt's writing style, will like this on
Kristina
Apr 03, 2014 Kristina rated it it was amazing
Although this is a book for children, I still enjoy reading it. I read this book several times during my childhood and didn't thought that I would still like it, but I did! It tells a wonderful story about a friendship between birds and a boy and about this boy discovering who he actually is. The author uses although an interesting writing style, which leads me to five stars.

Still in the top ten of my favourite books ;)
Wil
Jan 08, 2016 Wil rated it liked it
The rising action doesn't rise very quickly. There is an absence of significant conflict for much of the story--then it hits late in the story! A good coming of age story for a middle school audience. I appreciate the author's invitation for us to examine parallels between human lives and happenings in the natural world. After reading this I bet your curiosity about loons increases. I read this as a read-a-loud with my advisory.
Baoku
Jan 18, 2013 Baoku rated it it was amazing
I think Dillon Dillon is a good book because it reminds me of myself. I think about how some of our problems in life is the same .The characters are Dillon's dad,his mom,his little sister Daisy,his older brother Didier,and a girl named Eunice.What happens in the story is Dillon goes to his cottage in the summer and has a connection with two loons who lives on a little island in the lake and Dillon finally finds out why his name is Dillon Dillon.When I'm older I seriously will remember this book ...more
Laura Papsun
Jun 21, 2008 Laura Papsun rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: middle schoolers
This book is about a boy in early adolescence who discovers the true meaning of unconditional love, family, and identity. While there is not much nonstop action, the author takes a more subtle approach detailing Dillon Dillon's thoughts and realizations as he discovers the truth about his unusual name and his family. If you enjoy nature, you will probably enjoy this book. I think most adolescents -- boys or girls -- will be able to identify with this main character.
Robin
Sep 28, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, sad
This is a sweet, sad, thoughtful book about a boy growing up and discovering who he is. There's a magical part in which he has a lovely relationship with a pair of nesting loons.

I think lots of young teens would like to read this book, if they can get past the detail that the main character is ten.
Oct 23, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, Quick read. I read it myself, and then read it again with my 8 and 10 year old. Kate Banks, did a wonderful job developing the main character, and taking us on a beautiful journey filled with ups and downs. I really enjoyed the setting in nature.
Robynn
Jul 05, 2008 Robynn rated it really liked it
A juvenile title that is tender and thoughtful. A ten year old learns the reason he is named Dillon Dillon. Kate Banks is an excellent writer.
Bob
Jul 08, 2012 Bob rated it it was amazing
A quietly beautiful little book! Banks depicts the mind of a ten-year-old with intelligence and honesty. So many poignant, poetic images.
Kelly
Jan 13, 2011 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Its the BEST book i have EVER read!!!!!!!! i think everybody should take a look at it:)
Kesean
Dec 18, 2012 Kesean rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-book
I like this book because it is a interesting. This book is a good historical fiction.
10-11 Kaylyn
It was AMAZING!exelent book full of adventure.
Kixie
adoption story
Dillon
Dillon added it
May 06, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Jacki Ward
Jacki Ward rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2016
Kaitlin Schroeder
Kaitlin Schroeder marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2015
Dillon
Dillon added it
Nov 23, 2015
Dillon Ulery
Dillon Ulery marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Mom
Mom rated it it was ok
Nov 12, 2015
Skylar Pemberton
Skylar Pemberton rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
Savannah M.
Savannah M. rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Morgan
Morgan rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2015
Zoe
Zoe rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2015
Najae James
Najae James rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Jacquelyn
Jacquelyn rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Yvonne
Yvonne added it
Oct 14, 2014
Emily Tanner
Emily Tanner marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kate Banks has written many books for children, among them Max’s Words, And If the Moon Could Talk, winner of the Boston Globe–Horn Book Award, and The Night Worker, winner of the Charlotte Zolotow Award. She grew up in Maine, where she and her two sisters and brother spent a lot of time outdoors, and where Banks developed an early love of reading. “I especially liked picture books,” she says, “an ...more
More about Kate Banks...