Start by marking “Dillon Dillon” as Want to Read:
Dillon Dillon

Dillon Dillon

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  12 reviews
What kind of parents would name their child Dillon Dillon?

For his tenth birthday, Dillon's parents give him a red rowboat with his name painted on the stern: Dillon Dillon. Why did his parents give him a name like that? To Dillon, it seems like the right time to find out. The truth alters everything Dillon has ever known or felt about himself and his family. But with the r
Published April 11th 2005 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Dillon Dillon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dillon Dillon

Dillon Dillon. Who would name their child with the same first and last names? Dillon doesn't know. And sometimes, he feels like an outsider in his family because of it. During a vacation in New Hampshire, Dillon learns a family secret that hurts him deeply... but with the help of a family of loons, he's able to heal and learn the true meaning of family bonds.

Not sure how the average child will like this - metaphorical readers, or readers who enjoy Cynthia Voigt's writing style, will like this on
Although this is a book for children, I still enjoy reading it. I read this book several times during my childhood and didn't thought that I would still like it, but I did! It tells a wonderful story about a friendship between birds and a boy and about this boy discovering who he actually is. The author uses although an interesting writing style, which leads me to five stars.

Still in the top ten of my favourite books ;)
I think Dillon Dillon is a good book because it reminds me of myself. I think about how some of our problems in life is the same .The characters are Dillon's dad,his mom,his little sister Daisy,his older brother Didier,and a girl named Eunice.What happens in the story is Dillon goes to his cottage in the summer and has a connection with two loons who lives on a little island in the lake and Dillon finally finds out why his name is Dillon Dillon.When I'm older I seriously will remember this book ...more
Laura Papsun
Jun 21, 2008 Laura Papsun rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle schoolers
This book is about a boy in early adolescence who discovers the true meaning of unconditional love, family, and identity. While there is not much nonstop action, the author takes a more subtle approach detailing Dillon Dillon's thoughts and realizations as he discovers the truth about his unusual name and his family. If you enjoy nature, you will probably enjoy this book. I think most adolescents -- boys or girls -- will be able to identify with this main character.
This is a sweet, sad, thoughtful book about a boy growing up and discovering who he is. There's a magical part in which he has a lovely relationship with a pair of nesting loons.

I think lots of young teens would like to read this book, if they can get past the detail that the main character is ten.
I really enjoyed this book, Quick read. I read it myself, and then read it again with my 8 and 10 year old. Kate Banks, did a wonderful job developing the main character, and taking us on a beautiful journey filled with ups and downs. I really enjoyed the setting in nature.
A juvenile title that is tender and thoughtful. A ten year old learns the reason he is named Dillon Dillon. Kate Banks is an excellent writer.
A quietly beautiful little book! Banks depicts the mind of a ten-year-old with intelligence and honesty. So many poignant, poetic images.
Its the BEST book i have EVER read!!!!!!!! i think everybody should take a look at it:)
I like this book because it is a interesting. This book is a good historical fiction.
10-11 Kaylyn
It was AMAZING!exelent book full of adventure.
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Yvonne added it
Oct 14, 2014
Emily Tanner
Emily Tanner marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Melanie Brittingham
Melanie Brittingham marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Tiffiny marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Niki added it
Jun 17, 2014
Chelsea marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kate Banks has written many books for children, among them Max’s Words, And If the Moon Could Talk, winner of the Boston Globe–Horn Book Award, and The Night Worker, winner of the Charlotte Zolotow Award. She grew up in Maine, where she and her two sisters and brother spent a lot of time outdoors, and where Banks developed an early love of reading. “I especially liked picture books,” she says, “an ...more
More about Kate Banks...