Start by marking “The Mummy” as Want to Read:
The Mummy

The Mummy (The Mummy #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,605 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Adventure never dies -- in Universal Studio's summer blockbuster sequel to the surprise smash-hit, The Mummy. Novelization by a Shamus Award-winning, New York Times bestselling author.
Published May 1st 1999 by Berkley (first published 1999)

Return of the Jedi by James KahnThe Mummy by Max Allan CollinsStar Trek II by Vonda N. McIntyreStar Wars by Matthew Woodring StoverStar Wars, Episode IV by George Lucas
Novelizations
2nd out of 159 books — 31 voters
Dracula by Bram StokerThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanThe Haunting of Hill House by Shirley JacksonWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëA Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Graveyards, Cemeteries and other haunted places
91st out of 257 books — 123 voters

More lists with this book...

Holly Noelle
Feb 22, 2016 Holly Noelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of the Mummy franchise
This is another book where the rating has more to do with me than perhaps anything else.

Spoilers if you haven't seen the movie.

I have been a huge fan of the Mummy since it came out. The adventure and romance always made me smile, not to mention characters larger than life with sarcastic mouths and sharp wit. The ridiculousness of it all managed to make me laugh every single time I watched it.

The book was about the same.

Written like a western, The Mummy made me feel like I was part of the adventu
Alexis Drake
"Il mio corpo non sarà più il suo tempio."
2,75/5
La trama qui su goodreads è completamente sbagliata, perchè questo ovviamente è il libro che è stato tratto dal film, e non viceversa come invece proclama la copertina, cosa che mi ha tratto in inganno.
Comunque sia, La Mummia è uno dei miei film preferiti di sempre.
Se lo avete visto è inutile che vi dica la trama.
Il libro amplia leggermente la parte ambientata ai tempi di Imhotep, e ci fa capire meglio la relazione tra lui e la sua amata, e cosa gl
Taภya
Jul 18, 2013 Taภya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
“Rick: Can you swim?
Evelyn: Well, of course I can swim if the occasion calls for it.
Rick: [throwing her overboard] Trust me. It calls for it.”

This book was fantastic just like the movie, Full of action!

I absolutely love the Mummy since it came out, I've watched the film countless of times, the adventure in the book was great and funny at times and so was the romance between Eve and O'Connell.

This book follows the movie quite closely but with a few differences to the movie, which i didn't mind
Jenny
Mar 06, 2011 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Shelves: egyptology
One of those books that must be read before the movie (even if you have already seen the film of the same name, this book must be the next task on your agenda), The Mummy: A Novel is rich with details and captures the essence of the film with which Mummy fans fell in love. It is the perfect reference for those who've found themselves asking questions whilst watching the featured presentation.
Claudia
Jan 26, 2016 Claudia rated it liked it
2.5/3 stars
It was an okay read.. Very much like the film. The damsel in distress aspect seemed a lot more evident which I didn't like much in the film and hated in the book. There isn't a massive connection to the characters especially if you haven't seen the film. Go into this book without expecting much other than a cheesy, fun read.
T.L. Spencer
Apr 22, 2013 T.L. Spencer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tv
I loved the film and I loved this book. There was so much detail in the description; it was a thoroughly enjoyable read.
Lydia-kumiko Chen
Oct 19, 2012 Lydia-kumiko Chen rated it it was amazing
I remembered that the first time I saw the movie at my friend's home. I was so excited and loved it so much. I've watched it several times since then.
Róisín
Feb 27, 2013 Róisín rated it liked it
While it's a good book and it captures all the tense scenes from the film really well, the dialogue isn't the best and in some cases is absolutely ridiculous.
Vera
Jul 28, 2011 Vera rated it it was amazing
I really like movie so I must read this book and it is absolutely amazing!
Amber
Oct 31, 2013 Amber rated it really liked it
Good book though portions of it is not part of the movie.
Curly Q
Aug 16, 2011 Curly Q rated it liked it
A funny book and adventure. I love it.
Regine Petersen
Sep 06, 2013 Regine Petersen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-stars
Although it will never be as good as the movie was, it was still fairly enjoyable as well!
Lindsay Stone
Nov 20, 2016 Lindsay Stone rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the book of the movie extremely entertaining and added extra scenes with O'Connell and Evie in their journey to Hamunaptra.
The book was funny and everything you'd expect from movie to book.
Rita Monticelli
Mummie!

Ho riletto da poco questa novelization del film “La Mummia”. L’avevo già letta due volte, ma stiamo parlando di quindici anni fa. Avendo visto molte volte il film, ricordavo la storia, ma non altrettanto bene i dettagli del romanzo, quindi l’ho rivisto con occhi nuovi.
Ricordo che all’epoca avevo notato delle piccole differenze nella svolgersi degli eventi, ma adesso la mia memoria fa fatica a distinguerle. Per farlo dovrei rivedere il film. Erano comunque dettagli non significanti.
Il modo
Jade Paton
I remember that I really liked the movie when I saw it and it was mainly the reason why I decided to pick up this book. When I was reading it, I was remembering the scenes from the movie and gradually I became more and more confused about why I liked it so much.
The story is interesting and there is no real reason why I shouldn't like it. But there is also no particular reason why I should.
I usually read several books at once (three on the average). Some people think I'm crazy, but I realized tha
Amber Cook
Sep 11, 2016 Amber Cook rated it it was amazing
The book is most definitely the best compared to the movie, don't get m wrong the actors really brought the characters to life. I loved the extra hidden details that we find in the book such as the way Ankh su namun's body was cursed after betraying the pharaoh with her Lover the high priest.
Also the book allows the reader to get to know the characters alot better than the interpretations of them in the movie, like in the movie we don't know that Beni is from Budapest. Rick O'connel was born in
Emily
Jul 07, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Provided a very nice complement to the movie. I absolutely loved the movie and have watched it countless times. The novel (since it is based on the movie, and not the other way around) follows the movie quite closely with some differences here and there. One of the biggest "differences" is the relationship between Evy and Rick. Perhaps "differences" isn't quite the right word in this case. I'd first sought out the book because I wanted to see their thoughts and inner reactions to each other. The ...more
Perry Dugger
Sep 07, 2016 Perry Dugger rated it really liked it
exactly like the 1999 movie
Liz Meldon
Oct 26, 2014 Liz Meldon rated it really liked it
I loved this movie, so I had every confidence I would enjoy the book. I'm pleased to say that I wasn't mistaken. Collins crafts a beautiful version of 1925 Egypt, though he's a fan of the word "sinewy", which shows up a number of times throughout the book. I think fans of the movie should definitely take the time to read, if only to get some more insight into the characters they already love. I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good fantasy thrill, with fun characters and a tense plot.
Takuro Suzuki
Jul 02, 2014 Takuro Suzuki rated it it was amazing
1:penguin Lv2
2:07/02=80min
3:Rick, Evelyn, Egypt, mummy, Desert, curse, treasure
4:a)The scene that Scarabaeus appeared from underground.
b)I also saw the scene by the movie. It was impressive scene. I don't want to meet them.
5:I really love the story. I love both of the story the book and the movie. the story of book is little difference from the one of movie but I didn't mind it.
Regena
Aug 14, 2016 Regena rated it really liked it
Definitely a fun summer read if you like the movie! A faithful adaptation, this book sprinkles in more details and descriptions that really make it come to life, and add to the enjoyment of the story.
Briana Warner
Jul 04, 2016 Briana Warner rated it it was amazing
Loved the book as much as the movie! I'm going deaf and really enjoyed the book now that the movie is useless to me. Allows you to enjoy a little more of the story and understand some points the movie couldn't convey. Now on to the second book!
Ken
Nov 30, 2015 Ken rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Lots of fun as our heroes explore ancient ruins and deal with deathtraps, curses, plagues, and of course mummies. Gives more detail than the movie, particularly with the ancient Egypt background section when Imhotep originally lived that I think really helps.
Anagha
Apr 08, 2011 Anagha rated it really liked it
A book made from a movie is really good! That's a big deal. I even recommended it to my Mythology teacher, and she liked it! It can be cheesy at times, but overall, it's a great read, especially if you enjoyed the movies.
Miranda
Oct 09, 2014 Miranda rated it really liked it
I read this whole book within three nights and stayed up until my mom would yell at me to go to sleep at four in the morning. I couldn't stop reading!
Amy Rae
Jan 02, 2014 Amy Rae rated it did not like it
Did you watch The Mummy and say to yourself, "Well, that was all right, but I wish it was more racist. And sexist. And anti-Semitic."? Then holy shit, guys, I have a book for you.
Maysaloon Abu-Zaglan
Nov 09, 2013 Maysaloon Abu-Zaglan rated it it was amazing
This is the Kind of adventure you will never be bored watching or seeing it .. i'm a big fan of the Mummy serious and can't have enough of it ..
John
John rated it liked it
Aug 11, 2015
Kate Bates
Kate Bates rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2013
Dusty
Dusty rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2015
  • Batman Begins
  • The Mammoth Book of Egyptian Whodunnits
  • Gremlins
  • Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
  • Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (Indiana Jones #1)
  • The Tutankhamun Affair
  • The Sleeper in the Sands
  • Clash of the Titans
  • Iron Man 2
  • Sleepy Hollow: A Novelization (Includes the Classic Short Story)
  • Ever After: A Cinderella Story
  • The Lizzie Mcguire Movie: Junior Novelization
  • Spider-Man
12014
Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievment award) in 2006.

He has also published under the name Patrick Culhane. He and his wife, Barbara Collins, have written several books together. Some of them are published under the name Barbara Allan.

Book Awards
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1984) : True Detective
Shamus Awards Best Novel winner (1992) : Stolen Away
Shamus Awards Best Novel nom
More about Max Allan Collins...

The Mummy (4 books)
  • The Mummy Returns
  • The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (The Mummy, #3)
  • The Scorpion King

“Evelyn: Look, I... I may not be an explorer, or an adventurer, or a treasure-seeker, or a gunfighter, Mr. O'Connell, but I am proud of what I am.
Rick: And what is that?
Evelyn: I... am a librarian.

The Mummy (1999)”
34 likes
“Evelyn: [drunk] You're wondering, 'What is a place like me doing in a girl like this?'
Rick: Yeah, something like that.”
10 likes